Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis At Stax: 40th Anniversary (3 CD)

Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:56 am

for Dutch fans: there's a positive review in today's 'Volkskrant'.

Re: Elvis At Stax: 40th Anniversary (3 CD)

Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:27 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:In Germany the box set has reached #41 on the album charts!!! :shock:


Always nice to see Elvis releases in the charts but most likely this release will drop the 2nd week :(

Re: Elvis At Stax: 40th Anniversary (3 CD)

Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:50 pm

I was watching on the official EP you tube channel the Elvis at stax listening party. Mr Jorgensen and Mr. Putman were there also sharing stories. I liked it a lot.

Re: Elvis At Stax: 40th Anniversary (3 CD)

Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:13 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

I just got my Elvis At Stax-3 cd boxset from Japan 8). I prefer the Japanese edition because of the quality material they use. I know it is a bit more expensive but I don´t mind to pay a few more dollars and knowing that my cds won´t arrive scratched :wink:.

Will have a listen on the 16th as a homage to Elvis!. Bye for now :smt006.

phpBB [video]



Image
Elvis At Stax-Japan edition-Front cover.

Image
Elvis At Stax-Japan edtion-Back cover.

Image

Image

Re: Elvis At Stax: 40th Anniversary (3 CD)

Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:58 pm

Altough i'm still not that very fond of the cover, it's a must.

Sure, we have the material already, but it sounds and looks very good.
It's a release for the main stream, and they (and i too) are in for a very fine listening expierience.

Well done guys, i like it very very much!!

Re: Elvis At Stax: 40th Anniversary (3 CD)

Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:08 pm

LSP-4445 wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:In Germany the box set has reached #41 on the album charts!!! :shock:


Always nice to see Elvis releases in the charts but most likely this release will drop the 2nd week :(

Yes, that's the way it goes. At least it could have made it up to #40... :P

Re: Elvis At Stax: 40th Anniversary (3 CD)

Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:07 am

:D Got this last night and its 'great' sound mix seems much better on some tracks such as 'my boy' and even 'three corn patches' and 'find out what's happening'- even 'if you talk in your sleep' sound better instrumentals~! 'its different now' indeed sounded better and in a way that almost makes it sound like a complete song. Booklet is also VERY nice and a terrific picture of Elvis on his way to Richmond on 18th March 74'. I did hear tiny extra bits of dialogue i hadn't heard b4, but BEST thing is the way the 3 hours + of discs are put together. makes a good listening experience. At first i wondered why dialogue was around many tracks,,.but then this adds to the 'studio' feel present. This is a very fine package and Sony have got it absolutely right on this one....
what next a Jungle Room 1976 set??

Re: Elvis At Stax: 40th Anniversary (3 CD)

Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:00 am

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

I just got my Elvis At Stax-3 cd boxset from Japan 8). I prefer the Japanese edition because of the quality material they use. I know it is a bit more expensive but I don´t mind to pay a few more dollars and knowing that my cds won´t arrive scratched :wink:.

Will have a listen on the 16th as a homage to Elvis!. Bye for now :smt006.

phpBB [video]



Image
Elvis At Stax-Japan edition-Front cover.

Image
Elvis At Stax-Japan edtion-Back cover.

Image

Image

Hi Mike... When you say the quality material are you referring to the product packaging or is there a difference in the recording quality?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Re: Elvis At Stax: 40th Anniversary (3 CD)

Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:50 am

Hello,

Since this is the 40th anniversary of Elvis' Stax sessions and Sony Legacy is celebrating by issuing the "Elvis At Stax" sets, I think it's a shame that Sony has not been able to come up with some RIAA certifications on:

a.) the original albums ("Raised On Rock," "Good Times" and "Promised Land")

and

b.) the original singles ("Raised On Rock" / "For Ol Times Sake," "I've Got A Thing About You Baby" / "Take Good Care Of Her," "If You Talk In Your Sleep" / "Help Me," "Promised Land" / "It's Midnight," "My Boy" / "Thinking About You" and even "T-R-O-U-B-L-E" / "Mr. Songman").

I also wonder, since they did a listening party at the Stax museum for these sessions, if Sony will try to do the same thing with the February and October, 1976 Jungle Room sessions. I always thought EPE should try to reconfigure the Jungle Room as accurately as possible as to how the setup was for those 1976 sessions with even an RCA truck parked in the rear.

Re: Elvis At Stax: 40th Anniversary (3 CD)

Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:24 am

Does Elvis At Stax feature the infamous dialogue: "I've been a millionaire since 21, I don't care if we make it or not. It's just a hobby to me."

Re: Elvis At Stax: 40th Anniversary (3 CD)

Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:11 am

Very nice Mike 8)

My Japan CD Box Set is also on the way :)
Can't wait to get it :mrgreen:

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

I just got my Elvis At Stax-3 cd boxset from Japan 8). I prefer the Japanese edition because of the quality material they use. I know it is a bit more expensive but I don´t mind to pay a few more dollars and knowing that my cds won´t arrive scratched :wink:.

Will have a listen on the 16th as a homage to Elvis!. Bye for now :smt006.

phpBB [video]



Image
Elvis At Stax-Japan edition-Front cover.

Image
Elvis At Stax-Japan edtion-Back cover.

Image

Image

Re: Elvis At Stax: 40th Anniversary (3 CD)

Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:15 am

JohanD wrote:Altough i'm still not that very fond of the cover, it's a must. Sure, we have the material already, but it sounds and looks very good.

I stopped buying the stuff over and over again. The masters are in my collection on TCM and the FTD-versions of "Good Times" and "Promised Land", the latter two also contain a lot of outtakes. Some more outtakes have been released on "On A Jet To The Promised Land" by Venus. So I really don't care how the new box looks or sounds like.

But for the general market "Elvis At Stax" is a great release and I think it is great, that Sony releases the material in this professional way. :)

Re: Elvis At Stax: 40th Anniversary (3 CD)

Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:33 am

How exactly is the Japan different from the US version? Looking at the pictures up above it looks the same to me.... :?

JEFF d
EP fan
Last edited by JEFF d on Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Elvis At Stax: 40th Anniversary (3 CD)

Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:50 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

elvis-fan wrote:Hi Mike... When you say the quality material are you referring to the product packaging or is there a difference in the recording quality?


Just the product packing :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Re: Elvis At Stax: 40th Anniversary (3 CD)

Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:37 pm

Very disappointing. 'Elvis At Stax' has failed to make The Billboard Top 200 Album Chart for this week. Chartwise it has done reasonably well in other countries. However, 'Heart And Soul' rises from 185 to 182.

Brian

Re: Elvis At Stax: 40th Anniversary (3 CD)

Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:42 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:Very disappointing. 'Elvis At Stax' has failed to make The Billboard Top 200 Album Chart for this week. Chartwise it has done reasonably well in other countries. However, 'Heart And Soul' rises from 185 to 182.

Brian


how many copies did HEART & SOUL sell?? That will give us a good indication of the sales regarding STAX...at least in the U.S

Re: Elvis At Stax: 40th Anniversary (3 CD)

Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:05 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:In Germany the box set has reached #41 on the album charts!!! :shock:


Impeccable taste over there. Congrats.

Re: Elvis At Stax: 40th Anniversary (3 CD)

Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:11 pm

sweetangeline wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote:Very disappointing. 'Elvis At Stax' has failed to make The Billboard Top 200 Album Chart for this week. Chartwise it has done reasonably well in other countries. However, 'Heart And Soul' rises from 185 to 182.

Brian


how many copies did HEART & SOUL sell?? That will give us a good indication of the sales regarding STAX...at least in the U.S


As soon as the sales figures are known I will post them. However, last week 'Heart And Soul' sold 2,459 units. I suspect it will be roughly the same this week.

Brian

Re: Elvis At Stax: 40th Anniversary (3 CD)

Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:18 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:However, last week 'Heart And Soul' sold 2,459 units.


so there we go, ELVIS AT STAX has sold a lot less than that during it`s first week out!!

Re: Elvis At Stax: 40th Anniversary (3 CD)

Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:26 pm

Pink&Black wrote:for Dutch fans: there's a positive review in today's 'Volkskrant'.


Which page, i can't find it (iPad edition)? Thanks.

Re: Elvis At Stax: 40th Anniversary (3 CD)

Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:28 pm

sweetangeline wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote:However, last week 'Heart And Soul' sold 2,459 units.


so there we go, ELVIS AT STAX has sold a lot less than that during it`s first week out!!


I live in the Netherlands and there seems to be some chart action, which really makes me happy.
However, i have not heard nor seen any commercial. Any onther dutch people might have?

Re: Elvis At Stax: 40th Anniversary (3 CD)

Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:33 pm

Matthew wrote:Does Elvis At Stax feature the infamous dialogue: "I've been a millionaire since 21, I don't care if we make it or not. It's just a hobby to me."


No, but in a piece of dialogue he does say, "It's just work, it became a job ...

"Ima movie star, Ima millionare, Ima a sonofbitch ...

Re: Elvis At Stax: 40th Anniversary (3 CD)

Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:36 pm

Matthew wrote:Does Elvis At Stax feature the infamous dialogue: "I've been a millionaire since 21, I don't care if we make it or not. It's just a hobby to me."


The Japanese version does.

Re: Elvis At Stax: 40th Anniversary (3 CD)

Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:43 pm

Matthew wrote:Does Elvis At Stax feature the infamous dialogue: "I've been a millionaire since 21, I don't care if we make it or not. It's just a hobby to me."


On what release is this dialogue available?

Re: Elvis At Stax: 40th Anniversary (3 CD)

Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:00 pm

Mike C wrote:
Matthew wrote:Does Elvis At Stax feature the infamous dialogue: "I've been a millionaire since 21, I don't care if we make it or not. It's just a hobby to me."


On what release is this dialogue available?



Promised Land FTD (Its midnight)