Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis At Stax: 40th Anniversary (3 CD)

Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:22 am

History is seen and perceived as it was written. Americans were good and the Indians, the Germans, the Russians and whoever were bad. So my point is that any non fan reading those liner notes could see that material with a roser glasses, just as we elvis fans, after decades of exposing to the Greek tragedy vision, have darker glasses, even if we call it "being objective". I guess at the end it doesn't matter anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:53 pm

Are the stax songs available without the vocices of the choir and Sherrill Nielsen?

Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:31 pm

Obviously the FTD's covering these stax-sessions (Raised on Rock, Good Times & Promised Land) offer a more complete representation but how do the FTD's hold up soundwise to this Stax-box?

Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:51 pm

Fabbe wrote:Are the stax songs available without the vocices of the choir and Sherrill Nielsen?

No kidding. Most of the Jordanaires stuff could be eliminated, ALL of The Stamps and Voice stuff could be eliminated from the Elvis cannon and I would be pleased as punch.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Fabbe wrote:Are the stax songs available without the vocices of the choir and Sherrill Nielsen?

Happy hunting, my friend. >> www.elvisoncd.com/EIGENECD_a-z/import/boot.htm

Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:58 pm

Blue River wrote:

Happy hunting, my friend. >> http://www.elvisoncd.com/EIGENECD_a-z/import/boot.htm

Thanks! I think for the stax sessions particularly there is an over-production when it comes to the male choir that does not fit with Elvis vocal style, especially on the high notes. Also I am not convinced about Sherrill singing along with Elvis.

The choir is a trademark of Elvis sound but while in the 50s and partially the 60s the Jordanaires were doing things that were matching well Elvis' voice, during the 70s this was not always the case anymore for the male voices. The Sweet Inspirations were better fitting.

But that is just my opinion and taste.

Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:33 pm

Elvis at stax just entered the NL top 100 'alblum' chart at nr 26. :wink:

Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:41 pm

Robert wrote:Elvis at stax just entered the NL top 100 'alblum' chart at nr 26. :wink:

What does the NL chart mean?

Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:43 pm

National League?

Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:46 pm

r&b wrote:
Robert wrote:Elvis at stax just entered the NL top 100 'alblum' chart at nr 26. :wink:

What does the NL chart mean?

Not Lame?

Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:01 pm

Netherlands.....

Would be interesting to see if the album makes the top 20.
We know not many copies are needed to achieve this, but we also know Elvis albums don't make the top 20 since years..

Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:13 pm

Looking at the Billboard website in the USA, there are so many different charts these days, you would think he would show on one of them. I'm thinking it would be the catalog album chart if any. I see Essential Elvis is still in the top 10 there, but how many units can it possibly be selling these days. And why would that one be on there instead of Elvis 30 # 1's which was a much bigger album sales wise? it is all very confusing and somewhat meaningless. I see all these charts as basically useless these days compared to their meaning years ago which was plain & simple.

Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:20 pm

Netherland. :)

Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:28 pm

The size of the 3 cd set is the same as Prince from Another Planet yet the opening are on opposite sides, this is annoying when storing them side by side!

Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:15 pm

You can now get it for $23.99 on PopMarket.com for the next 4.5 hours.

http://www.popmarket.com/details/28772977?feature_id=28772628

Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:38 pm

With 54.98% of sales now in for this week's Billboard Chart it does not look as though 'Elvis At Stax' will get a Top 50 entry. The No.50 entry currently has sold 1,478 units.

Brian

Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:52 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:With 54.98% of sales now in for this week's Billboard Chart it does not look as though 'Elvis At Stax' will get a Top 50 entry. The No.50 entry currently has sold 1,478 units.

Brian

I would not have even expected this set to reach the Top 100, let alone the Top 50 !!!

Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:36 pm

nod3million wrote:The size of the 3 cd set is the same as Prince from Another Planet yet the opening are on opposite sides, this is annoying when storing them side by side!

This 8-inch format is catching on a little bit.

I just noticed there were several artists with this format at the local walmart.

Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:51 pm

In Germany the box set has reached #41 on the album charts!!! :shock:

Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:36 am

its good though that its 'charted'!~ :D

Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:47 am

I think its just something for this week thou its elvis week.
i bet it gets quiet after next week.
for the occasional my boy joke:
Before we know it..My boy hits no.1

Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:42 am

frus75 wrote:History is seen and perceived as it was written. Americans were good and the Indians, the Germans, the Russians and whoever were bad. So my point is that any non fan reading those liner notes could see that material with a roser glasses, just as we elvis fans, after decades of exposing to the Greek tragedy vision, have darker glasses, even if we call it "being objective". I guess at the end it doesn't matter anymore.

My guess is there probably won't be any non Elvis fans reading the liner notes of this CD...let alone any of his other CDs.

The July session was troubling but the December session had Elvis in good spirits and it is reflected in the music he made.

Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:55 am

The splice of Takes 8 and 7 of Find Out What's Happening on FTD's 'Raised On Rock' Classic Album has more dialogue from before Take 8 than the actual Take 8 on the same album - The same splice on 'Elvis At Stax' has more dialogue again.

this is why i like the new release....not much but something 'new' :D

Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:15 am

YDKM wrote:The splice of Takes 8 and 7 of Find Out What's Happening on FTD's 'Raised On Rock' Classic Album has more dialogue from before Take 8 than the actual Take 8 on the same album - The same splice on 'Elvis At Stax' has more dialogue again.

this is why i like the new release....not much but something 'new' :D

Thanks for spotting this, I didn't compare them yet! ::rocks

This is what Keith's page says:

Take 7 Complete 3:02 Raised On Rock (FTD)°° (Count-in)+Made In Memphis (FTD)°° (Extra
Dialogue)+Raised On Rock (FTD)°°

Take 8 Incomp. 2:33 Raised On Rock (FTD)°° (1:49)+Raised On Rock (FTD)°° (Spliced with
Take 7)+Elvis At Stax 1°° (Spliced with Take 7 & Additional Dialogue)

So I have to compare the "extra dialogue" as found on "Made In Memphis" too... :?

Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:13 am

Lucky, give this release another chance :wink: This morning, going to the Criminal Court because I'm on duty I was listening to If You Talk In Your Sleep Take 5 and Goodtime Charlie's got the blues take 8 (it's a short ride) and they do sound great.