Elvis At Stax: 40th Anniversary (3 CD)

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Re: Elvis At Stax: 40th Anniversary (3 CD)

Post by drjohncarpenter »

poormadpeter wrote:I have watched this debate from afar and, frankly, and have never seen such a load of tosh being bandied about in all my life.

Some people are reacting as if Sony are putting out a high-profile deluxe set of Clambake, Harum Scarum and Kissin Cousins. They are not. This Stax release may be a little bit of an odd choice, but we are not talking about the dregs of Presley's legacy here. Certainly there is nothing here that is offensive to the ear. Some performances might be lifeless, some might be bland - a couple are both - but they are hardly going to be detrimental to Presley's name.

The most bizarre argument I have read is that this release is not fit for public consumption. Have the people writing such things forgotten that these recordings were issued in 1973-5, 1988-93 and again in 2000? These are not newly found recordings, folks.

It also seems bizarre to me that the same people saying the above are the ones saying that nobody buys CDs anymore. Well, if that is the case, why does it matter what Sony releases if you think no-one is going to buy it anyway?

The Stax sessions are not Elvis at his best, but Promised Land and My Boy were both sizeable hits in various parts of the world, and songs such as Help Me, You Asked Me To, Spanish Eyes, She Wears My Ring, Find Out What's Happening, Honky Tonk Angels and others are well-known (mostly country) songs that are likely to appeal to country fans.

The release isn't likely to make a big impact, but the fact that Sony are approaching anything with a little bit of imagination (even guts when it comes to the press release) is a giant step forward when it comes to Elvis retail product in recent years. What would you rather have? Another gospel compilation?
Thank you for sharing.

Your passion is so evident it begs the question, will you be buying this anthology?

Please let us know. ;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

Winston wrote:The historical significance of Presley’s work at Stax is appreciated by such music scholars as Peter Guralnick, the award-winning author of Last Train to Memphis: The Rise of Elvis Presley (1994) and Careless Love: The Unmaking of Elvis Presley (1999); and producer Ernst Mikael Jørgensen, respected director of RCA’s Presley catalog for over two decades, and author of the critical research guide, Elvis Presley: A Life In Music (St. Martin’s Press, 1998).

Jørgensen has long been concerned with doing justice to the Stax sessions, which were never acknowledged by the artist's record label RCA as a unified whole.
If one re-reads the Stax chapter in Ernst's "A Life In Music," there isn't much there that suggests that Ernst "appreciates" the "historical significance" of the Stax sessions.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:I have watched this debate from afar and, frankly, and have never seen such a load of tosh being bandied about in all my life.

Some people are reacting as if Sony are putting out a high-profile deluxe set of Clambake, Harum Scarum and Kissin Cousins. They are not. This Stax release may be a little bit of an odd choice, but we are not talking about the dregs of Presley's legacy here. Certainly there is nothing here that is offensive to the ear. Some performances might be lifeless, some might be bland - a couple are both - but they are hardly going to be detrimental to Presley's name.

The most bizarre argument I have read is that this release is not fit for public consumption. Have the people writing such things forgotten that these recordings were issued in 1973-5, 1988-93 and again in 2000? These are not newly found recordings, folks.

It also seems bizarre to me that the same people saying the above are the ones saying that nobody buys CDs anymore. Well, if that is the case, why does it matter what Sony releases if you think no-one is going to buy it anyway?

The Stax sessions are not Elvis at his best, but Promised Land and My Boy were both sizeable hits in various parts of the world, and songs such as Help Me, You Asked Me To, Spanish Eyes, She Wears My Ring, Find Out What's Happening, Honky Tonk Angels and others are well-known (mostly country) songs that are likely to appeal to country fans.

The release isn't likely to make a big impact, but the fact that Sony are approaching anything with a little bit of imagination (even guts when it comes to the press release) is a giant step forward when it comes to Elvis retail product in recent years. What would you rather have? Another gospel compilation?
Thank you for sharing.

Your passion is so evident it begs the question, will you be buying this anthology?

Please let us know. ;-)
Of course. I have made it clear in the past that I am not a fan of the format of the classic album packages, much more preferring the compilations of outtakes a la Easter Special, Out in Hollywood, I Sing All Kinds etc. Therefore it is a nice round-up for someone such as myself, with a group of choice outtakes but not endless takes of the same songs.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

midnightx wrote:
Winston wrote:The historical significance of Presley’s work at Stax is appreciated by such music scholars as Peter Guralnick, the award-winning author of Last Train to Memphis: The Rise of Elvis Presley (1994) and Careless Love: The Unmaking of Elvis Presley (1999); and producer Ernst Mikael Jørgensen, respected director of RCA’s Presley catalog for over two decades, and author of the critical research guide, Elvis Presley: A Life In Music (St. Martin’s Press, 1998).

Jørgensen has long been concerned with doing justice to the Stax sessions, which were never acknowledged by the artist's record label RCA as a unified whole.
If one re-reads the Stax chapter in Ernst's "A Life In Music," there isn't much there that suggests that Ernst "appreciates" the "historical significance" of the Stax sessions.
Does something have to be historically significant in order for it to receive a decent re-release?

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

poormadpeter wrote:
midnightx wrote:

Does something have to be historically significant in order for it to receive a decent re-release?
Typically an expansive set under the banner of an "anniversary" title suggests the material should be historically significant. Rarely does a label celebrate the anniversary of mediocre sessions. If you look beyond your hyper-sensitive, defensive point of view - you will see that this "anniversary" set of "STAX" material is a marketing ploy to entice buyers and a somewhat disingenuous way to move mediocre 70's product. As pointed out, Sony is a business, and clearly this was the best way it could try to create a buzz and sales potential around these inconsistent recordings from an era in Elvis' career that doesn't typically sell big mainstream figures in 2013. Not everything is an attack on Elvis; sometimes the realities are what they are.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Good to know.

drjohncarpenter

poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Thank you for sharing.

Please let us know. ;-)
Of course. I have made it clear in the past that I am not a fan of the format of the classic album packages, much more preferring the compilations of outtakes a la Easter Special, Out in Hollywood, I Sing All Kinds etc. Therefore it is a nice round-up for someone such as myself, with a group of choice outtakes but not endless takes of the same songs.
Let us know when you pick it up. ;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

midnightx wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
midnightx wrote:

Typically an expansive set under the banner of an "anniversary" title suggests the material should be historically significant. Rarely does a label celebrate the anniversary of mediocre sessions. If you look beyond your hyper-sensitive, defensive point of view - you will see that this "anniversary" set of "STAX" material is a marketing ploy to entice buyers and a somewhat disingenuous way to move mediocre 70's product. As pointed out, Sony is a business, and clearly this was the best way it could try to create a buzz and sales potential around these inconsistent recordings from an era in Elvis' career that doesn't typically sell big mainstream figures in 2013. Not everything is an attack on Elvis; sometimes the realities are what they are.
if Sony were interested in creating a buzz this year due to an anniversary, it would be around 1953, not 1973. They had every opportunity to release the CDs from the Tupelo set at retail level in celebration of the 60th anniversary of Elvis making his first private recording. What's more there is nothing hyper-sensitive about my post - it quite clearly states that much of the material is bland or has phoned-in vocals. That's hardly defensive, it's honest.

drjohncarpenter

poormadpeter wrote:if Sony were interested in creating a buzz this year due to an anniversary, it would be around 1953, not 1973.
Actually, no. Early Elvis does very little at retail these days. That is why A Boy From Tupelo remained a collector's project. This has been discussed quite a bit, I have no idea how you missed the boat.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:if Sony were interested in creating a buzz this year due to an anniversary, it would be around 1953, not 1973.
Actually, no. Early Elvis does very little at retail these days. That is why A Boy From Tupelo remained a collector's project. This has been discussed quite a bit, I have no idea how you missed the boat.
Are you actually going to write comment to me today that is not in the least insulting. Perhaps the fact that early Elvis does little at retail and the 70s material does might suggest that you're backing the wrong racehorse.

drjohncarpenter

poormadpeter wrote:Are you actually going to write comment to me today that is not in the least insulting.
Please don't mischaracterize my words. And do let us know when you have the Stax set in hand. ;-)

Thank you.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Are you actually going to write comment to me today that is not in the least insulting.
Please don't mischaracterize my words. And do let us know when you have the Stax set in hand. ;-)

Thank you.
Telling someone they missed the boat is not insulting then?

Rigs
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Rigs »

To be perfectly honest, I have nothing against this release. Even though this material is miles from my favorite Elvis music, I think its sort of a blessing that Sony isn't celebrating somthing with yet another greatest hits, greatest love songs or best film songs. I doubt that it will sell but at the very very least its focussing on music that isnt known and chewed out by the general "elvis fan".

Fun fact is that while a lot of us complain here about the stax material. Promised land and good times are nr 1 and nr 3 on the FTD top 40 list. Food for thought.

Opinions are like a-s-s-h-o-l-e-s: everyone has got one

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

Rigs: You doubt it will sell? It will sell. Probably not enough for a great chart placement, but it will sell. Sony wouldn't be releasing this product if they weren't confident in it's financial "success." Stop thinking like a fan and think like a business person.

I love the FTD releases of this material.

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

It will sell, but not in significant numbers.

drjohncarpenter

midnightx wrote:It will sell, but not in significant numbers.
poormadpeter is getting a copy!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Eventually!

Blue River
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Post by Blue River »

poormadpeter wrote:if Sony were interested in creating a buzz this year due to an anniversary, it would be around 1953
Or 1963.
Heck, we all know this year is the 50th anniversary of such legendary classic gems as "No Room To Rhumba In A Sports Car", "Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers", "Yellow Rose Of Texas/The Eyes Of Texas", "Barefoot Ballad", "Smokey Mountain Boy", and the unforgettable "One Boy, Two Little Girls"!

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

r&b

Post by r&b »

Blue River wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:if Sony were interested in creating a buzz this year due to an anniversary, it would be around 1953
Or 1963.
Heck, we all know this year is the 50th anniversary of such legendary classic gems as "No Room To Rhumba In A Sports Car", "Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers", "Yellow Rose Of Texas/The Eyes Of Texas", "Barefoot Ballad", "Smokey Mountain Boy", and the unforgettable "One Boy, Two Little Girls"!
1963 IS a thought. The great studio Nashviille Sessions 50th Anniversary of the album that never was. Oh wait, that's been done already!

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Post by elvisjock »

IIRC, the liner notes for the original CD release of ROR said the album was "hardly a classic."

Take this for what it is, a marketing gimmick playing off two legendary names.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

Blue River wrote:
Or 1963.
Hey, I LIKE Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers!!

Tony Trout

Post by Tony Trout »

I'm getting this set, myself. I know I've already got the original albums/CDs that these tracks came from - including the "Promised Land" CD with bonus tracks, but I'm still getting it.

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes!" - Elvis Presley (August 10, 1970 backstage in his dressing room before the first show of the August, 10, 1970/September 8, 1970 season in Vegas).

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

skatterbrane wrote:
Blue River wrote:
Or 1963.
Hey, I LIKE Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers!!
Absolutely! Great tune... one of my favorites from that year and a song that should hardly be mentioned with the likes of the soundtrack trash listed above.

drjohncarpenter

midnightx wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Eventually!
Please don't insult him.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Rigs
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Rigs »

JerryNodak wrote:Rigs: You doubt it will sell? It will sell. Probably not enough for a great chart placement, but it will sell. Sony wouldn't be releasing this product if they weren't confident in it's financial "success." Stop thinking like a fan and think like a business person.

I love the FTD releases of this material.

more like not even enough for a chart placement, but that is besides the point. But yess it will sell, at least enough to make a reasonable rate of return, I hope for dear old sony.

Opinions are like a-s-s-h-o-l-e-s: everyone has got one