Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis At Stax: 40th Anniversary (3 CD)

Thu May 09, 2013 8:22 pm

I will get this

Thu May 09, 2013 8:30 pm

No sound credits?

Thu May 09, 2013 8:30 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:Well, this is disappointing to say the very least. All this is is a quick way to make a few extra bucks for RCA. Nothing new nor interesting. Looking at the way this is laid out, you would think it was meant for the FTD label and not the Sony RCA label. It's just another strong example of how poorly the Elvis catalog is handled and disrespected. I think it's time that Sony made some drastic changes. Put Ernst in charge of only the FTD releases since that's for the hardcore fans and get someone youthful and up to today's standards that know what is and isn't commercial potential to handle and re-introduce the Elvis catalog to the world. Otherwise it'll be the same revolving door as it's been for the past 3 decades. :(

One thing is for certain, you would NEVER in a million years see the catalog of The Beatles handled this way. So why should the greatest selling artist and greatest influential performer of all time be treated less?

This is simply ludicrous... you make a general statement, once again, about Elvis' catalog and how poorly it's being handled without any justification whatsoever. How is Elvis' catalog being handled poorly based on this release? Why would Sony not want to make money with this product? How is this release being disrespectful to Elvis? Please make me understand... am I missing something here??

Sometimes the truth hurts. This is a quick thrown-together rehash of what is already out there from a variety of albums. Basically a commercialized FTD release. Nothing more or less. They might as well just start making FTD releases commercial releases. Not much difference.

This release isn't the problem itself. It's how it's being handled and poorly planned out. I'm willing to bet this idea came within weeks ago and not thought out process. It probably went down like this. "Hey, let's throw together a 3-cd set of Stax recordings to mark the 40th anniversary. It won't chart but there's a bunch of crazy Elvis fans who will buy it and anything, therefor making us some quick cash".

That's why they won't ever sell his catalog. Because they know the fans will always buy anything they put out.

The problem with RCA is the same problem that it has always been dating back to the 50's. Poor projects either by sound quality, or bad track selection or artistry (album covers). They never can do it right, always half-assed. Like I said, no way would The Beatles be treated like that.

Thu May 09, 2013 9:05 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:The problem with RCA is the same problem that it has always been dating back to the 50's. Poor projects either by sound quality, or bad track selection or artistry (album covers). They never can do it right, always half-assed. Like I said, no way would The Beatles be treated like that.

That's because multi-trillionaire Sir P. McCartney has a team of top notch lawyers at the helm should the Beatles' or his own catalog gets its feathers ruffled by their labels. Elvis is no longer with us to be able to stand up to these money grabbing shysters at Sony....that's the difference.

Thu May 09, 2013 9:07 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:Well, this is disappointing to say the very least. All this is is a quick way to make a few extra bucks for RCA. Nothing new nor interesting. Looking at the way this is laid out, you would think it was meant for the FTD label and not the Sony RCA label. It's just another strong example of how poorly the Elvis catalog is handled and disrespected. I think it's time that Sony made some drastic changes. Put Ernst in charge of only the FTD releases since that's for the hardcore fans and get someone youthful and up to today's standards that know what is and isn't commercial potential to handle and re-introduce the Elvis catalog to the world. Otherwise it'll be the same revolving door as it's been for the past 3 decades. :(

One thing is for certain, you would NEVER in a million years see the catalog of The Beatles handled this way. So why should the greatest selling artist and greatest influential performer of all time be treated less?

This is simply ludicrous... you make a general statement, once again, about Elvis' catalog and how poorly it's being handled without any justification whatsoever. How is Elvis' catalog being handled poorly based on this release? Why would Sony not want to make money with this product? How is this release being disrespectful to Elvis? Please make me understand... am I missing something here??

Sometimes the truth hurts. This is a quick thrown-together rehash of what is already out there from a variety of albums. Basically a commercialized FTD release. Nothing more or less. They might as well just start making FTD releases commercial releases. Not much difference.

This release isn't the problem itself. It's how it's being handled and poorly planned out. I'm willing to bet this idea came within weeks ago and not thought out process. It probably went down like this. "Hey, let's throw together a 3-cd set of Stax recordings to mark the 40th anniversary. It won't chart but there's a bunch of crazy Elvis fans who will buy it and anything, therefor making us some quick cash".

That's why they won't ever sell his catalog. Because they know the fans will always buy anything they put out.

The problem with RCA is the same problem that it has always been dating back to the 50's. Poor projects either by sound quality, or bad track selection or artistry (album covers). They never can do it right, always half-assed. Like I said, no way would The Beatles be treated like that.

The truth may hurt, but for now this is just YOUR truth. By the way Elvis recorded, his sessions are sometimes more appealing (for me) than his albums. As I said on another forum, the only essential album that charted was volume 5 (on the country charts). According to one fan here the outtakes have been remixed again and the masters remastered again so I guess some care and planning has been taken.

Thu May 09, 2013 9:27 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:The problem with RCA is the same problem that it has always been dating back to the 50's. Poor projects either by sound quality, or bad track selection or artistry (album covers). They never can do it right, always half-assed. Like I said, no way would The Beatles be treated like that.

That's because multi-trillionaire Sir P. McCartney has a team of top notch lawyers at the helm should the Beatles' or his own catalog gets its feathers ruffled by their labels. Elvis is no longer with us to be able to stand up to these money grabbing shysters at Sony....that's the difference.

Elvis didn't care then about stuff like that.....he wouldn't now if he were alive...

Thu May 09, 2013 9:37 pm

matilda wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:

Elvis didn't care then about stuff like that.....he wouldn't now if he were alive...

I beg to differ. Now that Parker's dead, had Elvis had lived, he would've been on top of the business side of things, including how his music is handled.

Thu May 09, 2013 9:44 pm

I think this release is a good idea from a marketing point of view. It may achieve pretty good sales - we will see.
I don't think this has been mentioned, but apparently 'Elvis At Stax' will also be issued as a 180g vinyl double album.

Thu May 09, 2013 9:47 pm

Elfan wrote:I think this release is a good idea from a marketing point of view. It may achieve pretty good sales - we will see.
I don't think this has been mentioned, but apparently 'Elvis At Stax' will also be issued as a 180g vinyl double album.

That would be one massive & expensive 6 LP set. :shock:

Thu May 09, 2013 9:51 pm

Elfan wrote:I think this release is a good idea from a marketing point of view. It may achieve pretty good sales - we will see.

Prince From Another Planet will sell more than this set will.

Thu May 09, 2013 9:52 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:

Prince From Another Planet will sell more than this set will.

PFAP will outsell both Aloha Legacy & EAS combined, hands down.

Thu May 09, 2013 9:53 pm

That would be one massive & expensive 6 LP set. :shock:

No. The email I received from Sony marketing stated that it will be a double album on 180g vinyl - no mention of what tracks will be on the L.P's.

Thu May 09, 2013 9:56 pm

Elfan wrote:No. The email I received from Sony marketing stated that it will be a [b]double[b] album on 180g vinyl - no mention of what tracks will be on the L.P's.

Technically speaking, it would be impossible to press 55 songs onto 2 LP's. It would average to about 14 songs per side. I doubt that.

Thu May 09, 2013 10:08 pm

I like a few others on here are getting tired of all this Elvis & Ernst bashing, ok this release isnt groundbreaking but at least its not another "GREATEST HITS" WTF do u expect him to find to give us ? this would have been snapped up in the late 90s as a really great addition, i guess this is the downside to FTD, its spoiled the hell out of most of you, unless he finds something that doesnt exist, no amount of MSGS, ALOHA'S or STAX'S will please u , i for one WILL add this to my collection, bring it on ..........

Thu May 09, 2013 10:18 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:Technically speaking, it would be impossible to press 55 songs onto 2 LP's. It would average to about 14 songs per side. I doubt that.

Well that's pretty obvious :roll:
I guess we'll soon know the track selection for the 2 L.P set.

Thu May 09, 2013 10:23 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:

Doubtful. Even when Elvis was with us, the catalog was mishandled. Burning Love and Hits From His Movies, Separate Ways LP with a bunch of unrelated recordings, Welcome To My World LP, Elvis Now, Moody Blue, etc. These were all designed to put product out and make a some profit without any thought process behind it. He didn't seem to care then and he would not care now unless he got straight.

Thu May 09, 2013 10:31 pm

Sometimes he was only aware of the existence of the mentioned albums if a fan gave him one of those to sign at graceland etc.
Speaks volumes....

Fri May 10, 2013 12:37 am

TCB-FAN wrote:

If is more complicated than that.

Fri May 10, 2013 12:46 am

dennyelvis wrote:I like a few others on here are getting tired of all this Elvis & Ernst bashing, ok this release isnt groundbreaking but at least its not another "GREATEST HITS" WTF do u expect him to find to give us ? this would have been snapped up in the late 90s as a really great addition, i guess this is the downside to FTD, its spoiled the hell out of most of you, unless he finds something that doesnt exist, no amount of MSGS, ALOHA'S or STAX'S will please u , i for one WILL add this to my collection, bring it on ..........

I AGREE Dennyelvis. I 've never read so much moaning about what for me is a fabulous new release.

I think most of the negative posters are on the wrong forum, because their not true fans by my standards.

I'll be getting the release on all formats - yeah baby!!

Fri May 10, 2013 12:51 am

If this was put out by an import label with flashy packaging u hacks would all be rubbing your thighs waxing poetically on the redeemable qualities of the material recorded in July and dec 73.

Not an insult just a fact!

Fri May 10, 2013 12:56 am

TCB-FAN wrote:That's because multi-trillionaire Sir P. McCartney has a team of top notch lawyers at the helm should the Beatles' or his own catalog gets its feathers ruffled by their labels. Elvis is no longer with us to be able to stand up to these money grabbing shysters at Sony....that's the difference.

Even if Elvis was still with us, these tracks would have probably long been sold to RCA in a 'infamous 1980 RCA buyout deal' and we'd still end up with releases like these, if you catch my drift... :wink:
On the other hand though, I sometimes hate being a collector, every fibre in my body is telling me I don't need this release, but my collector streak still wants it, there might be a nice booklet... Sigh.

Fri May 10, 2013 1:10 am

Kylan wrote:If this was put out by an import label with flashy packaging u hacks would all be rubbing your thighs waxing poetically on the redeemable qualities of the material recorded in July and dec 73.

True .

One of the big factors is the new mastering that's supposedly going to be used. The PROMISED LAND FTD sounded amazing so to tweak even more out of the STAX recordings is welcome for sure.

If I can hear more of James Burton's wah - wah on IF YOU DON' T COME BACK - IF YOU TALK IN YOUR SLEEP - and YOU ASKED ME TOO - in addition to more of Elvis' wonderful voice and other nuances... More power to the good.

I'm very excited by this release...The STAX material has always been a favourite period- because it's a different flavour of Elvis. There's some roughhouse R&B here and I for one am gonna play the hell out of it!!

Fri May 10, 2013 1:15 am

Matthew wrote:
peacock74 wrote:Here goes the tracklist:

:facep:

He did record those somgs, then thouhg :D

Fri May 10, 2013 4:07 am

Kylan wrote:If this was put out by an import label with flashy packaging u hacks would all be rubbing your thighs waxing poetically on the redeemable qualities of the material recorded in July and dec 73.

If this were a bootleg there'd be none of the current discussion, because it would be a completely different type of product. Bootlegs are not the same as global retail products. They are akin to collectors label products.

Fri May 10, 2013 4:14 am

Matthew wrote:

If this were a bootleg there'd be none of the current discussion, because it would be a completely different type of product. Bootlegs are not the same as global retail products. They are akin to collectors label products.

And that's not an insult just a fact!