Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis At Stax: 40th Anniversary (3 CD)

Thu May 09, 2013 3:14 am

a 2xcd legacy version of either PROMISED LAND, GOOD TIMES or RAISED ON ROCK was not going to happen, so sony comes up with this in order to sell these songs, is anyone really that surprised...further to this and here is where I`m going to take some flack, at this stage of his career is was not about creating the definitive album but more about just letting the boy sing, yes elvis just sing...in fact sing whatever you want...and he did whether you like some of these songs or not

Thu May 09, 2013 3:17 am

George Smith wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:With the exception of Promised Land, there was nothing produced from the Stax sessions that would be considered "Elvis at his best".
My list of decent tracks would fit onto a single album:

Side A
Find Out What's Happening
I've Got A Thing About You Baby
Just a Little Bit
I Got a Feeling in My Body
It's Midnight
You Asked Me To
If You Talk in Your Sleep

Side B
Help Me
My Boy
Loving Arms
Good Time Charlie's Got the Blues
Talk About the Good Times
Promised Land
There's a Honky Tonk Angel

I acknowledge that we're dealing with opinions here, of course, but "For Ol' Times Sake" is a heartbreakingly fragile performance and probably the best thing to come out of the summer session.

I can't conceive a Best of Stax without it.

Very nice comment, and you are right, as usual. ;-)

Thu May 09, 2013 3:18 am

George Smith wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:With the exception of Promised Land, there was nothing produced from the Stax sessions that would be considered "Elvis at his best".

Side A
Just a Little Bit
It's Midnight
You Asked Me To

Side B
Help Me
My Boy
Loving Arms
Promised Land

I acknowledge that we're dealing with opinions here, of course, but "For Ol' Times Sake" is a heartbreakingly fragile performance and probably the best thing to come out of the summer session.

Elvis' voice has always sounded strained, whiny and weak (to me) in this song... I do like the song but Elvis' vocals just sounds a little off... I do agree with your "heartbreakingly fragile performance" comment however...

Thu May 09, 2013 3:28 am

peacock74 wrote:Here goes the tracklist:

Disc: 1
1. I Got A Feelin' In My Body - take 1
2. Find Out What's Happening - takes 8-7
3. Promised Land - take 4 (I)
4. For Ol' Times Sake - take 4
5. I've Got A Thing About You, Babe - take 14
6. It's Midnight - take 7
7. If You Talk In Your Sleep - take 5
8. Loving Arms - take 2
9. You Asked Me To - take 3A
10. Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues - take 8
11. Talk About The Good Times - take 3
12. There's A Honky Tonk Angel - take 1
13. She Wears My Ring - take 8
14. Three Corn Patches - take 14
15. I Got A Feelin' In My Body - take 4
16. If You Don't Come Back - take 3
17. Promised Land - take 5
Disc: 2
1. Mr. Songman - take 2
2. Your Love's Been A Long time Coming - take 4
3. Spanish Eyes - take 2
4. Take Good Care Of Her - takes 1,2,3
5. It's Diff'rent Now (unfinished recording)
6. Thinking About You - take 4
7. My Boy - take 1
8. Girl Of Mine - take 9
9. Love Song Of The Year - take 1
10. If That Isn't Love - take 1
11. Raised On Rock
12. For Ol' Time Sake
13. I've Got A Thing About You Baby
14. Take Good Care Of Her
15. If You Don't Come Back
16. Three Corn Patches
17. Girl Of Mine
18. Just A Little Bit
19. Find Out What's Happening
20. Sweet Angeline
Disc: 3
1. Promised Land
2. It's Midnight
3. If You Talk In Your Sleep
4. Help Me
5. My Boy
6. Thinking About You
7. Mr. Songman
8. I Got A Feelin' In My Body
9. Loving Arms
10. Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues
11. You Asked Me To
12. There's A Honky Tonk Angel (Who Will Take Me Back In)
13. Talk About The Good Times
14. She Wears My Ring
15. Your Love's Been A Long Time Coming
16. Love Song Of The Year
17. Spanish Eyes
18. If That Isn't Love

You offer no source for this track listing, and it seems very odd to have outtakes programmed as the first 27 of 55 recordings.

That we also note two songs from the Raised On Rock album omitted, ostensibly because they are "not from Stax," while a third number where Elvis' vocal was "not from Stax" remains in the set, is another strange anomaly.

I'll wait for an official listing before making any detailed comments.

Thu May 09, 2013 4:54 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
ekenee wrote:
midnightx wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:Below is the best of Stax, IMO.

Promised Land
Thinking About You
I Got A Feeling In My Body
If You Talk In Your Sleep
If You Don't Come Back
Just A Little Bit
My Boy
It's Midnight
For Ole Time Sake
Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues
Loving Arms
Love Song Of The Year
Spanish Eyes
Sweet Angeline
Talk About The Good Times
Girl Of Mine
Raised On Rock (not as bad as some think)

There is a lot of crap on that list. That is part of the problem with Elvis' Stax sessions. Fans have their personal favorites and assume many other people will also hear the greatness of "Love Song Of The Year." There isn't even a full single disc of "good" Stax recordings appropriate for mainstream consumption.

You like the word "crap" alot.

The music industry as a whole, (that includes all of your favorites) puts out crap.

95% of all music is crap. So, what. Deal with it.

These types of releases are to sell units and keep the memory alive.

You think everything has to be revelant or important or timeless.
Get over it. It's art.

You seem to miss the point.
Rehash it, recycle it, and re-sell it.

Thats the music business.

"Crap" is a very good word to use in discribing much of Elvis' 70's output.

"Crap" is a very good word to describe your opinion.

Thu May 09, 2013 4:56 am

sweetangeline wrote:
George Smith wrote:Thanks for the tracklisting: if this is officlal then Sony have dropped the two home recordings.

it`s official according to amazon.com, but I must admit I`m a little surprised that the tracklisting is already available...they have made mistakes before!!

Looks like a potential selection of tracks that Ernst would have chosen, just in the completely wrong order!
DISC 3 is obviously the Main Disc (why wouldn't it be Disc One?) and yet the outtakes on the other disc before the glorious Masters of 'For Ol' Time Sake' and 'Raised On Rock', 'I've Got A Thing About You Baby' just doesn't make sense.

Cheers
Piers

Thu May 09, 2013 5:44 am

Putting out a 3CD set comprising masters and outtakes of Elvis' mixed bag of Stax recordings doesn't make any sense either.

I wonder if Stuart Coleman has written the liner notes. Someone obviously came up with this laughable gem:

"ELVIS AT STAX: DELUXE EDITION bristles with energy and dynamism. The proof is in the six consecutive singles that the Stax sessions produced, all of which skirted the Top 40 from 1973 to 1975. In effect, they rivaled some of the hottest streaks that Presley had charted a decade earlier." - Amazon.com

Who comes up with this rubbish?!

Thu May 09, 2013 6:06 am

At almost 40 usd it's pretty pricey too!!

Thu May 09, 2013 6:19 am

Matthew wrote:
minkahed wrote:
Matthew wrote:Perhaps the tag line title for this can be: "I don't care if we make it or not, it's just a hobby to me".

Oh lord, here we go ...

That does seen to have been Elvis' heart for his "hobby" at these sessions.

You don't know this as "Fact" !!!! end of story.

Thu May 09, 2013 6:55 am

minkahed wrote:You don't know this as "Fact" !!!! end of story.

Have you listened to the sessions? No use getting upset with me, Elvis' mixed efforts speak for themselves.

ELVIS AT STAX: THE DELUXE HOBBY SESSIONS

Thu May 09, 2013 7:18 am

Unless this release comes in a HDCD format, I ain't buyin'.

Thu May 09, 2013 7:28 am

Matthew wrote:Putting out a 3CD set comprising masters and outtakes of Elvis' mixed bag of Stax recordings doesn't make any sense either.

I wonder if Stuart Coleman has written the liner notes. Someone obviously came up with this laughable gem:

"ELVIS AT STAX: DELUXE EDITION bristles with energy and dynamism. The proof is in the six consecutive singles that the Stax sessions produced, all of which skirted the Top 40 from 1973 to 1975. In effect, they rivaled some of the hottest streaks that Presley had charted a decade earlier." - Amazon.com

Elvis was never better than when he "skirted the Top 40" with his brand of MOR.

Thu May 09, 2013 7:46 am

Doc, the source for the track listing is the listing on Amazon's site. It's there just as described here.

I don't think I can see my way to getting this, but I haven't bought any of the Legacy releases. They're superfluous if you have the FTD's, IMO.

Thu May 09, 2013 8:17 am

stevelecher wrote:Doc, the source for the track listing is the listing on Amazon's site. It's there just as described here.

I don't think I can see my way to getting this, but I haven't bought any of the Legacy releases. They're superfluous if you have the FTD's, IMO.

Amazon? Well, something seems rotten in Denmark.

The Legacy release with those 1969 MONO mixes is worth getting.

Thu May 09, 2013 8:33 am

Matthew wrote:Putting out a 3CD set comprising masters and outtakes of Elvis' mixed bag of Stax recordings doesn't make any sense either.

You know, think about it, it's better than another love song or gospel song compilation.

This is aimed at the general public that wants to delve a little deeper into the catalog and it's capitalizing on
the STax reputation. So, in that sense, it makes sense.

Thu May 09, 2013 8:59 am

ElvisMatters reports Thatcher the 3CD set contains all masters and all available outtakes. Seems a strange concept for a general public Legacy release.

Thu May 09, 2013 9:03 am

Alexander wrote:ElvisMatters reports Thatcher the 3CD set contains all masters and all available outtakes.

Impossible, that would require more than 3 discs.

Thu May 09, 2013 9:07 am

ekenee wrote:You know, think about it, it's better than another love song or gospel song compilation.

Generally those sorts of release contain some of Elvis finest performances.

ekenee wrote:This is aimed at the general public that wants to delve a little deeper into the catalog and it's capitalizing on
the STax reputation. So, in that sense, it makes sense.

This release doesn't seem to know what it's aimed at. The fan-base will likely already have most if not all of the content on the FTD titles from recent years, and the general public is unlikely to be drawn to a 3CD title full of outtakes of songs not generally associated with Elvis' fame.

However, if the promotion tagline above is anything to go by it is clear SONY's intent is not to present an honest picture of these sessions prior to the customer handing over their hard-earned.

I think we all know who are going to be the buyers for this - the same fan-base that bought all the FTDs.

Thu May 09, 2013 9:10 am

elvis-fan wrote:
George Smith wrote:

Side A
Just a Little Bit
It's Midnight
You Asked Me To

Side B
Help Me
My Boy
Loving Arms
Promised Land

Elvis' voice has always sounded strained, whiny and weak (to me) in this song... I do like the song but Elvis' vocals just sounds a little off... I do agree with your "heartbreakingly fragile performance" comment however...

That can't be helped; it was a physical thing, and he pulled out of it for a bit. But at the time, it was all the voice he had, and George is right about the performance. It's easy to overlook, too, because of the nature of those troubled sessions in the summer.

Some singers - when their voices are damaged, they stay damaged. Elvis's voice sounded better by the end of the year. (Not that it didn't get bad again, but that was later.)

rjm

Thu May 09, 2013 9:15 am

We better find out what's happening, find out what's happening before long.

If we don't find out what's happening ... Sony's gonna find out that we're gone.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Thu May 09, 2013 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 09, 2013 9:19 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:We better find out what's happening, find out what's happening before long.

If we don't find out what's happening, Sony's gonna find out that we're gone.

I think SONY are going to have a rip-roaring success on their hands. Studio sessions from 1973? Most of the fan-base clamour for this period. No doubt non-Elvis fans will be receiving copies from their Elvis-fan mates as examples of Elvis' greatness.

Thu May 09, 2013 9:29 am

What a great set.

Thu May 09, 2013 9:36 am

frus75 wrote:What a great set.

Now, now, no need to be fresh.

Thu May 09, 2013 9:39 am

If the single disc edition is smartly-compiled, it would be a pretty enjoyable album.

Thu May 09, 2013 11:11 am

Hans wrote:My Boy is a very popular song by non Elvis fans also .....

I don't know a single non elvis fan who even knows this song...and i am not living in the woods.
Good joke anyway...thanks