Elvis At Stax: 40th Anniversary (3 CD)

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Mike DK
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: Elvis At Stax: 40th Anniversary (3 CD)

Post by Mike DK »

a mess of polk salad wrote:
Matthew wrote:DSD is a high resolution digital storage technology. It is not a mastering trick that magically makes things sound better on CDs.
As Ernst said the FTD STAX outtakes will be transferred in high-resolution...
Unless the "Elvis at Stax" gets a SACD or Blu Ray Audio release you won't get "high-resolution". They may have been "transferred in High resolution" but what you get on cd is still 16 bit/44,1khz.

a mess of polk salad
Registered for: 16 years 5 months
Location: I've been a millionaire since I was 21, it's just a hobby to me...

Post by a mess of polk salad »

Mike DK wrote:
Matthew wrote:DSD is a high resolution digital storage technology. It is not a mastering trick that magically makes things sound better on CDs.
As Ernst said the FTD STAX outtakes will be transferred in high-resolution...
Unless the "Elvis at Stax" gets a SACD or Blu Ray Audio release you won't get "high-resolution". They may have been "transferred in High resolution" but what you get on cd is still 16 bit/44,1khz.
But still one better than the FTD STAX material yes?

The moment we're living is now, now now now now now ...

James27
Registered for: 21 years

Post by James27 »

I have a feeling that there will be no sound upgrade to the already fantastic sounding FTD Stax-related Classic Albums.

Joe Krein interview with Sherril Nielsen: "YOU KNOW YOU FORGET HOW GOOD HE REALLY WAS. I SAID MY GOODNESS. YOU KNOW WHEN YOU ARE WITH HIM YOU ARE SO WRAPPED UP DOING THE SHOW, BUT HERE NOW 20 YEARS LATER, I HEAR HIM AND REALIZE WHAT A GREAT TALENT HE WAS. HE WAS THE REAL DEAL.

TCB-FAN
Registered for: 15 years

Post by TCB-FAN »

James27 wrote:I have a feeling that there will be no sound upgrade to the already fantastic sounding FTD Stax-related Classic Albums.

True, but we still have the stellar packaging and album cover to look forward to. And that's more than enough for some collectors. :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026

"If The Songs Don't Go Over With The Crowd, We Can Always Do A Medley Of Costumes."

Elvis A. Presley, 1970

a mess of polk salad

James27 wrote:I have a feeling that there will be no sound upgrade to the already fantastic sounding FTD Stax-related Classic Albums.
Why?
Listen to 'Promised Land"from the ELVIS 75 - GOOD ROCKIN TONIGHT BOX - then listen to it from the FTD Classic album version - there's your proof...

Winston
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Winston »

Here in my hometown and the adjacency the album is in no shop. :shock: But many cheap ones.

Charley Rogers
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Post by Charley Rogers »

Johnny2523 wrote:
Charley Rogers wrote:Is there new materialen on this box? Hope so
new material no.
Just re-mixed outtakes and masters. every outtake thats on here is already released by ftd.
So this is just a compilation album then with a new book?

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by minkahed »

luckyjackson1 wrote:Maybe "Fourty years ago in Memphis... Elvis At Stax" would have been a more suitable (if longer) name.
How 'bout, "Elvis Sings - "MY BOY" at Stax !!!

:smt005 :smt005 :smt005

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

niobeh
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 14 years 6 months

Post by niobeh »

Winston wrote:Here in my hometown and the adjacency the album is in no shop. :shock: But many cheap ones.
Maybe this has to do with the release date due in August?

TCB-FAN

Post by TCB-FAN »

minkahed wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:Maybe "Fourty years ago in Memphis... Elvis At Stax" would have been a more suitable (if longer) name.

That title (if used) would sell a billion units easily, hands down...no laughing matter.

"If The Songs Don't Go Over With The Crowd, We Can Always Do A Medley Of Costumes."

Elvis A. Presley, 1970

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****

Post by ekenee »

TCB-FAN wrote:
minkahed wrote:

That title (if used) would sell a billion units easily, hands down...no laughing matter.
You just gave me an idea. How about:

"50 Billion Elvis fans can't be wrong---Elvis at Stax"

luckyjackson1
Registered for: 13 years 10 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

How about "Three Corn Patches At Stax"?

I wonder what mix of "It's Diff'rent Now" will be used on this box? Ferrante's or the FTD mix? Maybe the FTD mix with the bad word edited out. And most likely it will run a few seconds longer this time so I have to buy this darn thing anyway! :smt076

I like Elvis' lyrics change... :P

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

a mess of polk salad

luckyjackson1 wrote:How about "Three Corn Patches At Stax"?

I wonder what mix of "It's Diff'rent Now" will be used on this box? Ferrante's or the FTD mix? Maybe the FTD mix with the bad word edited out. And most likely it will run a few seconds longer this time so I have to buy this darn thing anyway! :smt076

I like Elvis' lyrics change... :P
Interesting...love the song hope they keep the offending lyric in but you're probably right.

murph1031
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by murph1031 »

Didn't know this was been released on vinyl, just got a pre-order email from Elvis.com about it. Another vinyl added, I wish they would change the cover art, man its bad.

LSP-4445
Registered for: 11 years

Post by LSP-4445 »

murph1031 wrote:Didn't know this was been released on vinyl, just got a pre-order email from Elvis.com about it. Another vinyl added, I wish they would change the cover art, man its bad.
yep its bad.......and the big LP size doesnt help at all :facep:

TCB-FAN

Post by TCB-FAN »

Here's another nice photo-edit that could've been used as the cover.....

Elvis A. Presley, 1970

a mess of polk salad

Any news on the vinyl edition artwork? Any photos?

I'm hoping the vinyl artwork will be more pleasing than the 3-CD version.

I know it's the same but the bigger format...

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

I've yet to post in this thread. In reading a lot of the comments being made, the lack of understanding for this release and the criticism of Elvis' performances, especially during the July 73 sessions, just amazes me. A lot of posters on this forum have lost site of Elvis the human being and forget that a big part of the quality of his performances during the 70's, depended on his own personal life and his troubles in his marriage. In July 73, he was in rough shape, a near overdose in St. Louis 3 weeks earlier, pending divorce, money problems, he needed time off, not to go into a recording studio that he wanted no part of. Cutting music isn't like a normal job, you have to feel it, be into it, which in turn produces better results. He gets divorced, goes to rehab for a bit, comes out of hospital and people wonder why the December sessions are better, his voice stronger. Instead of understanding that he wasn't a well man in July, it must be from a lack of effort that his singing was so poor, which is crap. He didn't have it in July, he was a wreck! Common sense tells me that physically and mentally he was doing much better in December as opposed to the summer of 73. Coincide that with better material and you get a happier, more committed Elvis Presley. It's become the norm just to rip apart his "lesser' performances as opposed to understanding the reasons why. There was never any issue to his not giving less than 100% in any concerts he performed, any movies he starred in, or his work ethic in the studio prior to the decade of the 70's, so something was wrong. Despite having Linda at his side, his failed marriage effected him big time and anybody who has been in this situation can tell you the changes it puts you through, emotionally. Elvis was no different than you or I in this respect. As far as these sessions go, I loved his cuts from December 73, much better material and a more engaged Elvis.

a mess of polk salad

Joe Car wrote:I've yet to post in this thread. In reading a lot of the comments being made, the lack of understanding for this release and the criticism of Elvis' performances, especially during the July 73 sessions, just amazes me. A lot of posters on this forum have lost site of Elvis the human being and forget that a big part of the quality of his performances during the 70's, depended on his own personal life and his troubles in his marriage. In July 73, he was in rough shape, a near overdose in St. Louis 3 weeks earlier, pending divorce, money problems, he needed time off, not to go into a recording studio that he wanted no part of. Cutting music isn't like a normal job, you have to feel it, be into it, which in turn produces better results. He gets divorced, goes to rehab for a bit, comes out of hospital and people wonder why the December sessions are better, his voice stronger. Instead of understanding that he wasn't a well man in July, it must be from a lack of effort that his singing was so poor, which is crap. He didn't have it in July, he was a wreck! Common sense tells me that physically and mentally he was doing much better in December as opposed to the summer of 73. Coincide that with better material and you get a happier, more committed Elvis Presley. It's become the norm just to rip apart his "lesser' performances as opposed to understanding the reasons why. There was never any issue to his not giving less than 100% in any concerts he performed, any movies he starred in, or his work ethic in the studio prior to the decade of the 70's, so something was wrong. Despite having Linda at his side, his failed marriage effected him big time and anybody who has been in this situation can tell you the changes it puts you through, emotionally. Elvis was no different than you or I in this respect. As far as these sessions go, I loved his cuts from December 73, much better material and a more engaged Elvis.
I love the STAX material - THAT'S why it's so compelling - "Promised Land" rocks! Yeah baby!

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
Joe Car wrote:I've yet to post in this thread. In reading a lot of the comments being made, the lack of understanding for this release and the criticism of Elvis' performances, especially during the July 73 sessions, just amazes me. A lot of posters on this forum have lost site of Elvis the human being and forget that a big part of the quality of his performances during the 70's, depended on his own personal life and his troubles in his marriage. In July 73, he was in rough shape, a near overdose in St. Louis 3 weeks earlier, pending divorce, money problems, he needed time off, not to go into a recording studio that he wanted no part of. Cutting music isn't like a normal job, you have to feel it, be into it, which in turn produces better results. He gets divorced, goes to rehab for a bit, comes out of hospital and people wonder why the December sessions are better, his voice stronger. Instead of understanding that he wasn't a well man in July, it must be from a lack of effort that his singing was so poor, which is crap. He didn't have it in July, he was a wreck! Common sense tells me that physically and mentally he was doing much better in December as opposed to the summer of 73. Coincide that with better material and you get a happier, more committed Elvis Presley. It's become the norm just to rip apart his "lesser' performances as opposed to understanding the reasons why. There was never any issue to his not giving less than 100% in any concerts he performed, any movies he starred in, or his work ethic in the studio prior to the decade of the 70's, so something was wrong. Despite having Linda at his side, his failed marriage effected him big time and anybody who has been in this situation can tell you the changes it puts you through, emotionally. Elvis was no different than you or I in this respect. As far as these sessions go, I loved his cuts from December 73, much better material and a more engaged Elvis.
I love the STAX material - THAT'S why it's so compelling - "Promised Land" rocks! Yeah baby!
Elvis is on fire on this take :smt005. Enjoy!. Bye for now :smt006.

http://www56.zippyshare.com/v/77199175/file.html

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Didn't download it yet... let me guess, Mike... you posted "Take 1"? :wink:

BTW, did anybody try to transcripe the complete lyrics to "It's Diff'rent Now" (I betcha this will be the case concerning the sound quality of that rehearsal on this new release too... :smt005 )?

I once came up with this:

I still look at you and tell myself
How wonderful you are
But you're so different now
Cause to me you're much more wonderful
More wonderful by far
It's sure different now

There's more to love than holding hands
And stealing kisses when you think that
There's no one else around
There's the good times and the bad
As the ups and downs we've had
But it's different now
I'm so glad I still have you

While I know you so well
Not believe I can tell
That you're thinkin' before
And you know what you said
And I'm so happy to say if you... think... f*ck... drop me (???)

Ah...

There's always something new to see
I look at you, you look at me
And we're so different now
Love gets better every day
And in some peculiar way
It's always different now

Have we ever said goodbye
You'd be lost and so would I
What's the difference now
Between us love just for a day
And a love that's here to stay
That's the difference now
The difference now...

For a little company
There's always me

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
luckyjackson1 wrote:Didn't download it yet... let me guess, Mike... you posted "Take 1"? :wink:
Correct!, and still unreleased under FTD :shock:. Bye for now :smt006.

http://www.keithflynn.com/recording-sessions/731215.html

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

a mess of polk salad

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.
luckyjackson1 wrote:Didn't download it yet... let me guess, Mike... you posted "Take 1"? :wink:
Correct!, and still unreleased under FTD :shock:. Bye for now :smt006.

http://www.keithflynn.com/recording-sessions/731215.html
Isn't the f... Version lyric on ROR FTD?

a mess of polk salad

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.
Elvis is on fire on this take :smt005. Enjoy!. Bye for now :smt006.

http://www56.zippyshare.com/v/77199175/file.html
Why did they leave it off the FTD?- got a lot going for it besides the MF comment - great solo for one.

luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

I was talking about "Promised Land" Take 1 anyway. And it was left off the PL FTD because of the limited capacity. They could have easily done a three-disc set with it. But it was a lot of work to achieve this and it paid off.

For a little company
There's always me