Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis At Stax: 40th Anniversary (3 CD)

Tue May 07, 2013 5:50 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-At-Stax-40t ... is+presley

and 1-cd version below

http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-At-Stax-40t ... is+presley

Re: Elvis At Stax: 40th Anniversary (3 CD)

Tue May 07, 2013 5:52 pm

Well I'll be damn . . . interesting.

Tue May 07, 2013 5:54 pm

wow - looks like an interesting Legacy release!

Tue May 07, 2013 6:00 pm

Just thought of something . . . maybe this set will include the harmony vocal version of Promised Land? That would be great.

Tue May 07, 2013 6:07 pm

or even take 1

Tue May 07, 2013 6:25 pm

Due in august!? There might be one or two out-takes included that are not released anywhere else. That way, many collectors will buy this just to get those.

Tue May 07, 2013 6:31 pm

Very interesting: presumably the 1 CD version will contain a Best of Stax approach, which could be very listenable.

All of the 1973 masters would easily fit on 2 CDs so what are they using for the balance?

Maybe the 1974 Memphis concert will fill the third disk?

Tue May 07, 2013 6:37 pm

George Smith wrote:Very interesting: presumably the 1 CD version will contain a Best of Stax approach, which could be very listenable.

All of the 1973 masters would easily fit on 2 CDs so what are they using for the balance?

What would a 1974 concert have to do with 1973 content in concept and release ?

Tue May 07, 2013 6:38 pm

George Smith wrote:Very interesting: presumably the 1 CD version will contain a Best of Stax approach, which could be very listenable.

"My boy" will be included on the 'best of' variation. :wink:

Tue May 07, 2013 6:41 pm

I am sure the 3rd disc will be the complete My Boy sessions and mixes in honor of the Doc who is the biggest fan of this song.:)

Tue May 07, 2013 6:52 pm

minkahed wrote:

Its location (Memphis) and its general time-frame (just four months after the last session).

Some Legacy releases by other artists adopt this sort of approach, but I'm just guessing here.

Tue May 07, 2013 7:07 pm

Interesting. Bring on the track listing!

Tue May 07, 2013 7:48 pm

George Smith wrote:
minkahed wrote:

Its location (Memphis) and its general time-frame (just four months after the last session).

Some Legacy releases by other artists adopt this sort of approach, but I'm just guessing here.

It's kind of a stretch, but you've made a good argument.

One other link: a live performance of Help Me.

Tue May 07, 2013 7:53 pm

Shocking. There are some nice recordings from Stax, but there are also a ton of mediocre and substandard performances as well. Can't imagine how the producers could compile 3 CDs of relevant performances from Stax '73 for a mainstream release. I assume it will contain the masters plus choice outtakes. Maybe there will be a dance remix of My Boy to entice the younger generation of potential consumers?

Tue May 07, 2013 7:53 pm

Hope it's not just a box containing "Raised On Rock", "Good Times" and "Promised Land" :?

Tue May 07, 2013 7:54 pm

Steelback, I thought of that, too . . .

Tue May 07, 2013 8:00 pm

Will they remix it? Or just remaster it?

Tue May 07, 2013 8:05 pm

Steelback wrote:Hope it's not just a box containing "Raised On Rock", "Good Times" and "Promised Land" :?

What is everyone expecting it to be? A 3 disc set is clearly going to comprise of the masters from those albums. What else could it be? A fourth unreleased album recently found in the vaults? A bunch of unknown Shirl Milete covers? Don't expect any surprises. All the crap on those albums will be presented to the mainstream consumer as part of an "anniversary" set. The hardcore 70's enthusiasts should be celebrating. Sony is finally giving some of Elvis' worst recordings the spotlight.

frus75 wrote:Will they remix it? Or just remaster it?

Why wouldn't Sony use the 2007 Anesini remasters? Do you really think Sony is going to fund a remix and a new remaster for the Stax recordings?

Tue May 07, 2013 8:08 pm

midnightx wrote:
Steelback wrote:Hope it's not just a box containing "Raised On Rock", "Good Times" and "Promised Land" :?

What is everyone expecting it to be? A 3 disc set is clearly going to comprise of the masters from those albums. What else could it be? A fourth unreleased album recently found in the vaults? A bunch of unknown Shirl Milete covers? Don't expect any surprises. All the crap on those albums will be presented to the mainstream consumer as part of an "anniversary" set. The hardcore 70's enthusiasts should be celebrating. Sony is finally giving some of Elvis' worst recordings the spotlight.

frus75 wrote:Will they remix it? Or just remaster it?

Why wouldn't Sony use the 2007 Anesini remasters? Do you really think Sony is going to fund a remix and a new remaster for the Stax recordings?

Well, the fact that instead a 2fer of good times and promised land they go all the way and produce a new title and in 2 versions. Something tells me it could be.

Tue May 07, 2013 8:09 pm

If there's also a single disc version being issued this doesn't seem likely, and if we are going to get a full mainstream overview of Elvis' work at Stax, I think this is good news.

We all know that some of this material isn't Elvis at his best, but I'd rather see an imaginative release like this than yet another hits compilation.

It's also worth noting that we didn't all discover Elvis through the tried and tested classic tracks. Some of us grew up with the Camden albums and the movie repeats on TV, but still saw and heard enough of the Presley magic in those performances to become hooked.

Maybe Stax will do the same for some people.

Tue May 07, 2013 8:17 pm

frus75 wrote:Well, the fact that instead a 2fer of good times and promised land they go all the way and produce a new title and in 2 versions. Something tells me it could be.

I don't see how you can deduce a remix and remaster because of the way the set may ultimately be compiled. Sony already has premium mastering available for the masters and alternate takes ready to go from the FTD editions. It would seem cost-effective to recycle what already exists in good sound for recordings that really don't justify the expense of another sonic overhaul.

Tue May 07, 2013 8:22 pm

Well, I think that's it. :roll: Outtakes on Legacy? No!

Tue May 07, 2013 8:25 pm

midnightx wrote:
frus75 wrote:Well, the fact that instead a 2fer of good times and promised land they go all the way and produce a new title and in 2 versions. Something tells me it could be.

I don't see how you can deduce a remix and remaster because of the way the set may ultimately be compiled. Sony already has premium mastering available for the masters and alternate takes ready to go from the FTD editions. It would seem cost-effective to recycle what already exists in good sound for recordings that really don't justify the expense of another sonic overhaul.

Man I don't deduce, I suspect, hope and desire, that's all. Stranger things have happened!!!

And I'll go farther : being 3 cd I think it'll be in a similar package to prince from another planet

Tue May 07, 2013 8:59 pm

Cant get excited about this after the poor AFH - Legacy release.
We have the great FTD Versions of the STAX albums.
Would be nice if something new was included though.

Tue May 07, 2013 9:16 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

I will buy it anyway as I am already collecting those damn Elvis Legacy releases :smt005. What about if they found some of the recording reels that are missing in the vaults and add them on this boxset? :roll:. Bye for now :smt006.