Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

"One Night" --> In SF In 1957?

Tue May 07, 2013 8:24 am

This got buried in a Picture Section topic, I hope more eyes see it here:

onelove wrote:Some more shots are popping up from a '57 show we don't have many shots to begin with - San Francisco.
Appears to be from the Oct. 26 evening show - very cool to see despite the "ebay" paper overlay.

If someone wants to take a stab on the auction, below is the link (better be quick, though).

--> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oct-26-1957-ELVIS-PRESLEY-Original-Benefit-Concert-Candid-Fan-Photos-Handout-/400481840617

571026_SF Civic_evening show.JPG

Thanks for finding this!

There was also a one-sheet flyer in that scrapbook that may have been something from the show. One or two of the images on it are new to my eyes:

571026_SF Civic_flyer.JPG

But ... most importantly, a NEW discovery from this final tour of the 1950s has been made.

In one of the concert shots, Elvis is clearly playing Scotty Moore's 1956 Gibson Super 400:

571026_SF Civic_evening show_DETAIL.jpg

So, the question is, WHICH song is he singing while playing that electric guitar? None we know of from the afternoon show seem to fit:

5710126_San Francisco afternoon set list.JPG
Afternoon set list, San Francisco, CA - Saturday, October 26, 1957
List is missing "Treat Me Nice," and one other song.

My guess is Elvis has once again pulled out the unreleased "One Night," as he did in Toronto that April.

The sizzling Smiley Lewis cover, cut at Radio Recorders in February but shelved, would see release in about a year, after Elvis had shipped off to Germany.

Anyone agree?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: "One Night" --> In SF In 1957?

Tue May 07, 2013 8:43 am

I agree. I looked into those tours quite a bit when writing my article on Elvis' Gold suit.

Tue May 07, 2013 11:23 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
My guess is Elvis has once again pulled out the unreleased "One Night," as he did in Toronto that April.
Anyone agree?

I agree also, as the set list is not complete, with 13 and 14 missing, which could very easily have been "One Night".

Tue May 07, 2013 11:54 am

Yes,i agree it's "One Night". Elvis does play the electric guitar on the actual studio recording, so yeah, i'd say it is "One Night". I think, "One Night" is one of the best things he ever did. He loved playing those little bass runs on the guitar... And many years later on the 68 TV Show, he did the same thing taking Scottys Sunburst gibson guitar to play the song.

Thanks for posting, Doc. Not seen any of those photo's before. Seeing photos i've not seen before from the fabulous 50's, when all was cool, brightens my day up.

Tue May 07, 2013 11:58 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Yes,i agree it's "One Night". Elvis does play the electric guitar on the actual studio recording, so yeah, i'd say it is "One Night". I think, "One Night" is one of the best things he ever did. He loved playing those little bass runs on the guitar... And many years later on the 68 TV Show, he did the same thing taking Scottys Sunburst gibson guitar to play the song.

Thanks for posting, Doc. Not seen any of those photo's before. Seeing photos i've not seen before from the fabulous 50's, when all was cool, brightens my day up.

Gee, that guy was beyond good and talented. I am always pleased to learn new little things like this. Thanks, guys.

Tue May 07, 2013 2:07 pm

How I wish I could hear these concerts from the 50's. "One Night" was surely an incredible version!

Tue May 07, 2013 3:23 pm

What a setlist!

Tue May 07, 2013 4:02 pm

Excellent stuff Doc!

Tue May 07, 2013 5:26 pm

londonflash wrote:What a setlist!

agree!....wish FTD find some '57 concerts....with only one i'll be more than happy!

Tue May 07, 2013 10:21 pm

Mike Eder wrote:I agree. I looked into those tours quite a bit when writing my article on Elvis' Gold suit.

If my guess is correct, this is another version of "One Night," with Elvis on electric guitar, we have not previously known about ... until yesterday!

Tue May 07, 2013 10:38 pm

Many thanks. Now, if only we could hear these rare performances!

Maybe someday, somehow.

rm

Tue May 07, 2013 10:47 pm

Great setlist. Now that's an Elvis show. The 70's version of Elvis may have sung a Sinatra or Como tune in 1957, but not the 1957 version. Long live the 50's Elvis!

Wed May 08, 2013 5:18 pm

I agree that One Night is most likely the tune Elvis performed with the electric guitar. But looking at the setlist another question comes to mind. Elvis usually closed his 50's shows with Hound Dog, but at this show it's in the #7 slot. So what song did Elvis close this show with? One Night perhaps? It would've made a terrific closing number.

Wed May 08, 2013 5:37 pm

Is there a confirmed setlist for this show? How do we know that there are 2 songs missing?

Wed May 08, 2013 5:38 pm

Wonder if Elvis ever sang 'Don't" in concert in the 50's? Or anytime? Pity he didn't do it in 1970 since he rehearsed it. One of the great missed opportunities IMO but I am biased, its my favorite Elvis ballad of all time. No one I talk to (casual fans) knows this song , but when I play it for them, they like it instantly.

Wed May 08, 2013 8:43 pm

Pete Dube wrote:I agree that One Night is most likely the tune Elvis performed with the electric guitar. But looking at the setlist another question comes to mind. Elvis usually closed his 50's shows with Hound Dog, but at this show it's in the #7 slot. So what song did Elvis close this show with? One Night perhaps? It would've made a terrific closing number.

The posted set list on that envelope was written by a fan after she saw the afternoon San Francisco performance on 10-26-1957. It is not in set list order. "Hound Dog," according to Scotty Moore, was always the last song.

The discovery of Elvis playing Scotty's electric guitar is from a photo at the evening performance.

I posted the set list as a reference, since Elvis very likely played most -- if not all -- of those great songs at both shows.

Incidentally, since Presley did "Treat Me Nice" at the piano in Los Angeles on October 29, he probably did the same at every show on the tour.

I am convinced live 1957 tapes -- wherever they may be -- hold LOTS of surprises. Maybe someday we'll hear one.

Wed May 08, 2013 9:57 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Pete Dube wrote:I agree that One Night is most likely the tune Elvis performed with the electric guitar. But looking at the setlist another question comes to mind. Elvis usually closed his 50's shows with Hound Dog, but at this show it's in the #7 slot. So what song did Elvis close this show with? One Night perhaps? It would've made a terrific closing number.

The posted set list on that envelope was written by a fan after she saw the afternoon San Francisco performance on 10-26-1957. It is not in set list order. "Hound Dog," according to Scotty Moore, was always the last song.

The discovery of Elvis playing Scotty's electric guitar is from a photo at the evening performance.

I posted the set list as a reference, since Elvis very likely played most -- if not all -- of those great songs at both shows.

Incidentally, since Presley did "Treat Me Nice" at the piano in Los Angeles on October 29, he probably did the same at every show on the tour.

I am convinced live 1957 tapes -- wherever they may be -- hold LOTS of surprises. Maybe someday we'll hear one.

To quote the late Artie Johnson, "Very interesting."

Wed May 08, 2013 10:51 pm

Why are people convinced that 2 songs are missing? Just because 13 & 14 are written in blue does not convince me. Why wouldn't the person who wrote the setlist in red change pens??

When you look at the setlist from the previous month on September 1st, Sicks Stadium, Seattle, Washington they are very similar. Maybe something from this list may help.

Sept157Setlist.JPG

Heartbreak Hotel
All Shook Up
That's When Your Heartache Begins
I Got A Woman
Mean Woman Blues
Teddy Bear
Don't Be Cruel
Hound Dog
I was The One
(New Song) Probably Jailhouse Rock - released Nov 8th.
??
Love Me
Blue Suede Shoes
Blueberry Hill
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed May 08, 2013 11:10 pm

Excellent detective work, John, and a great post.

Hugely enjoyable and unbearably frustrating at the same time.

Wed May 08, 2013 11:22 pm

This is wonderful stuff. Thanks for the info and pics on this. :smt007

Thu May 09, 2013 1:05 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Lets hope we do get to hear one of these shows, Doc...it'll be marvelous!!

Two other things i want to see and hear before my time comes to be put in the ground - Sun version of "Tiger Man" and the "Pied Piper Of Cleveland" film. I can then RIP......

Thu May 09, 2013 2:20 am

memfisking wrote:Why are people convinced that 2 songs are missing? Just because 13 & 14 are written in blue does not convince me. Why wouldn't the person who wrote the setlist in red change pens??

When you look at the setlist from the previous month on September 1st, Sicks Stadium, Seattle, Washington they are very similar. Maybe something from this list may help.

Sept157Setlist.JPG

Heartbreak Hotel
All Shook Up
That's When Your Heartache Begins
I Got A Woman
Mean Woman Blues
Teddy Bear
Don't Be Cruel
Hound Dog
I was The One
(New Song) Probably Jailhouse Rock - released Nov 8th.
??
Love Me
Blue Suede Shoes
Blueberry Hill

The song title written below "new song" was scribbled out, but it looks like a title is written above that scribble that looks like

"Fools hall of fame". It's difficult to make out, but there are enough letters that you can make out.

Thu May 09, 2013 4:11 am

ekenee wrote:The song title written below "new song" was scribbled out, but it looks like a title is written above that scribble that looks like

"Fools hall of fame". It's difficult to make out, but there are enough letters that you can make out.

This has been discussed before on FECC.

"Fool's Hall Of Fame" was definitely performed at at least two shows on August-September 1957 tour. DJ Red Robinson taped one show, but apparently not the entire performance. Sadly, it was one of the few dates where Elvis sang "Fool's Hall of Fame," an obscure 1957 Sun single by Rudi Richardson.

Live snippets from Robinson's reel-to-reel recorder slipped out on the 1976 bootleg LP Got A Lot O' Livin' To Do! (Pirate Records 101) -- see * below.

1) Saturday, August 31, 1957 - Vancouver, B.C.
Heartbreak Hotel *
All Shook Up
I Was The One *
I Got A Woman *
That's When Your Heartaches Begin *
Fool's Hall Of Fame
Don't Be Cruel
Love Me
Mean Woman Blues
Hound Dog

Elvis only did about 60% of his set that evening, due to a semi-riot by the Vancouver audience. Still, what a night it must have been!

2) Sunday, September 1, 1957 - Seattle, WA
Heartbreak Hotel
All Shook Up
I Got A Woman
That's When Your Heartaches Begin
I Was The One
Teddy Bear
Don't Be Cruel
Love Me
Fool's Hall Of Fame
Blue Suede Shoes
Blueberry Hill - Elvis on piano
Mean Woman Blues
Hound Dog

As reported above, the Sick's Stadium set list was jotted down in a diary by young fan Myrna Crafoot. Elvis told the audience he would be recording "Fool's Hall Of Fame" (initially noted as "New Song" by young Myrna), but apparently never did.

570901_Seattle setlist_Crafoot.JPG

Some do claim the singer had plans to cover the Richardson track during his September sessions at Radio Recorders, scheduled for just a few days later. Did anything ever get on tape? It might just have made a cool Presley track:

Fool's Hall Of Fame
Jerry Freeman, Danny Wolfe
© 1957 Golden West Music, BMI

Well if I live to be a hundred, I won't forget the day
I broke the heart you gave me, and let you walk away

That's when they hung my name, in the fool's hall of fame

Ah, baby since we've been apart, I can't console my heart
It cries and cries all night long
Can't I ever make you see, this change you've made in me
Just give me a chance to tell you I was wrong

Yes, they say that you'll forgive me, and end this misery
You know I'll keep on a-beggin', 'till you come back to me

Don't leave me here in chains, in the fool's hall of fame

Ah baby since we've been apart I can't console my heart
It cries and cries all night long
Baby can't you ever see, the change you've made in me
Just give me a chance to tell you I was wrong

Yes, they say that you'll forgive me, and end this misery
You know I'll keep on beggin', 'till you come back to me

Note the Seattle show is documented as 13 songs, which makes the idea of 13- or 14-song sets in San Francisco not at all far-fetched.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 09, 2013 5:01 am

Oh, I don't doubt Elvis sang 13, 14, or 15 songs in San franciso that day. Not far fetched at all.

Soundboard of a 1957 show-----I'd buy it!

Since the outtakes for the Sept. 1957 sessions are missing, perhaps one day they will be found in the basement

of some collector, with 2 or 3 tries of "Fools hall of fame" included and tucked between a couple of Christmas songs.

Thu May 09, 2013 9:11 am

We can only dream that one day we will be able to hear such a show. That would be a dream come true!