Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Westboro baptist church to protest Graceland

Tue May 07, 2013 5:16 am

It looks like every ones favorite kookie religious organization is back....
http://m.memphisflyer.com/memphis/blogs ... &year=2013

Re: Westboro baptist church to protest Graceland

Tue May 07, 2013 6:07 am

I hope they play this on the loudspeakers. REAL LOUD!

phpBB [video]

AND THIS ONE!!!! Even LOUDER!!!

phpBB [video]

And this one:

phpBB [video]

One more thing: just lay offa the shoes!

phpBB [video]

rjm

Tue May 07, 2013 6:17 am

As the saying goes…

"God, save me from your followers."

Tue May 07, 2013 6:20 am

what a bunch they are

Tue May 07, 2013 6:21 am

Should they dare to protest outside the Graceland gates, perhaps Elvis fans will band together and beat the ever-loving tar out of each and every one of them... wait, did I say that out loud??

Tue May 07, 2013 6:27 am

This could be the best thing for Elvis's "career" in many moons! I have spread the news about Facebook and Twitter . . . and it's gettin' around. Give it a little time. With Twitter, it was just so easy to add the hashtags to the title!

:smt005

rjm

Tue May 07, 2013 6:41 am

"Assuming you do believe that Elvis died, you can visit his grave at Graceland. (YES, gotta worship the rotting carcass of that lecherous, adulterous, pervert and drug addict!)"

Sounds like they have Elvis and Michael Jackson mixed up.

Tue May 07, 2013 7:09 am

The guitarist for Slayer just died... I heard they were going to protest his funeral, which should be before May 17th... so I doubt if they make their Graceland date after having to deal w. Slayer fans! 8)

JEFF d
EP fan

Tue May 07, 2013 7:26 am

JEFF d wrote:The guitarist for Slayer just died... I heard they were going to protest his funeral, which should be before May 17th... so I doubt if they make their Graceland date after having to deal w. Slayer fans! 8)

JEFF d
EP fan

They'll pick themselves up, dust themselves off, and do it all over again! {fingers crossed} Please let all the carrying on be on the news!

rjm

Tue May 07, 2013 8:36 am

Most seem to feel Christianity can be a refuge from hate and fear, yet this group is a proponent of both. It's sad, and pathetic. I've seen them in person, they are a sorry bunch. They once protested a Jewish organization in my building. God knows why.

Tue May 07, 2013 9:42 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Most seem to feel Christianity can be a refuge from hate and fear, yet this group is a proponent of both. It's sad, and pathetic. I've seen them in person, they are a sorry bunch. They once protested a Jewish organization in my building. God knows why.

Yup, God only knows.

Last time I checked, which was tonight, Anonymous still has their Facebook page hijacked! They are too stupid to know what to do. It's just a shame they raise their kids inside this madness. That's the sad part about it. You always see them bringing children.

rjm

Tue May 07, 2013 11:12 am

keninlincs wrote:what a bunch they are

...of ignorant dumbasses.

Tue May 07, 2013 7:36 pm

I have seen the Westboro Baptist Church on youtube videos. They are hateful unloving un-Christian people. You can't reason with them, even if you quote the bible in front of them, I have seen this on 1 or 2 of the youtube videos. They are so sad.

Tue May 07, 2013 10:21 pm

intheghetto wrote:As the saying goes…

The Westboro Baptist Church clan are not God's followers... regardless of how much they have fooled themselves and the unknowing.

pageglen wrote:They are... un-Christian people.

True.

Wed May 08, 2013 7:06 am

Blue River wrote:

The Westboro Baptist Church clan are not God's followers... regardless of how much they have fooled themselves and the unknowing.

Followers in that context should be understood as "followers". That's the irony of the thought. Sorry you misunderstood.

Wed May 08, 2013 8:27 am

That sounds like an absurd group of folks i'll leave it at that.

Wed May 08, 2013 4:31 pm

They are a hate group pure and simple. Some people need to picket at their church and see how they like it.

Wed May 08, 2013 4:42 pm

Blue River wrote:

pageglen wrote:They are... un-Christian people.

True.

+1

Wed May 08, 2013 5:29 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:They once protested a Jewish organization in my building.

In your building? I'm impressed. They'd never be allowed in my Elvis room.

Sad that these groups exist. The hating needs to stop.

I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony.......

Wed May 08, 2013 6:48 pm

I'm a fan of freedom of speech but in this case I'm sure I would have hit the gas pedal driving through this weird bunch passing Graceland.

Funny reaction on the website:
"WOW well, bring more attention to Graceland and get more visitors with all the media attention thank you, thank you very much :-)"

Wed May 08, 2013 7:38 pm

i think they are a cult group of ignorant stupid dumbasses.They even protested a kids funeral after the Sandy hook killings.Swat needs to be called when they around.

Wed May 08, 2013 7:39 pm

God knows what they think.

Fri May 10, 2013 4:38 am

While this group are an extreme, I'm not sure they're as "unChristian" as they've been uncritically deemed to be.

Unless you're also prepared to call the head of the Catholic Church -- and all the other abuses sanctioned by other heads of the Catholic Church in its history -- "unChristian" in his and its preaching against homosexuality and the use of contraception in Africa (a country torn apart by AIDS), and even his and its willful spreading of lies about the effectiveness of prophylactics (i.e., "condoms have microscopic holes").

Unless you're also prepared to call all the fratricide between rival Christian sects the world over, including a very bloody and recent conflict in Northern Ireland, an otherwise "civilized", "democratic" nation, as "unChristian".

Unless you're prepared to go against the grain and disavow the Old Testament and its original, crude Decalogue (which is revised in the Old Testament several times) as "unChristian", given the horrific abuses the OT chronicles -- and sanctions -- in verse after verse, chapter after chapter. What kind of a god, for example, which Jesus later declares himself the "son" of, would create sick and disabled people then order them banished from his temples (because they're an "offence" to his sight), approve of slavery and the repression of women, encourage genocide and rape (and even demand that those who refuse to partake in either be killed), set plagues on other tribes of people which he, himself, ultimately created, and even drown the world in a global flood because his creations apparently aggrieved him? Many so-called Christians, let's remember, believe the Bible to be the literal, unalterable Word of God, and most seem to think the original Ten Commandments -- which Moses quickly smashed in anger and violated the "Thou shall not kill" commandment seconds later -- are a good moral code to live by, despite the fact that the original Ten Commandments condemn religious freedom, are rigidly authoritarian, misogynistic, promote xenophobia, demand strict obedience (not challenging the status quo), and place adherence to dogma over compassion and reason.

Again, these people may be an extreme, but in what sense are they -- fundamentally -- wrong? They have an extreme interpretation, but they're arguing from the same book, and using the same basic logic as any other religious person I can think of.

In this video, the late Christopher Hitchens delivers one of his best orations -- IMO -- against monotheism and religion generally:

phpBB [video]

"We'll pick the most backward, the most barbaric, the most illiterate, the most superstitious, and the most savage people we can find, in the most stony area of the world. We won't appear to the Chinese who can already read. We won't appear in the Indus Valley where they know a thing or two and they're already very far advanced. No. We'll appear to this brutal, enslaved, hopeless, superstitious crowd and *force* them to cut their way through their all of their neighbours with slaughter, genocide, and racism, and settle on the only part of the Middle East where there's no oil. And all subsequent revelations appear in the *same* district. And without this, we wouldn't know right from wrong."

Further reading:

http://www.creationtheory.org/Morality/BiblicalMorality.xhtml

http://www.creationtheory.org/BibleStudy/Ref-Violence.xhtml

Fri May 10, 2013 4:48 am

Cryogenic wrote: I'm not sure...

You're right about that.

Fri May 10, 2013 4:57 am

Blue River wrote:
Cryogenic wrote: I'm not sure...

You're right about that.

Well, I do try and leave maniacal, murderous certainty up -- or down, as it were -- to religious nuts like the Westboro Baptist folk.