Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Girls! Girls! Girls! is Great! Great! Great!

Tue May 07, 2013 3:32 am

greystoke wrote:Girls! Girls! Girls! isn't a film that I dislike, although it's far from being a favourite. We are all fully aware of where this movie stands in the Elvis movie canon, and despite its flaws, there are good moments, not least of all the Return to Sender sequence and some fine location filming, lensed beautifully by Paramount stalwart, Loyal Griggs. And, think what you may of how Hal Wallis viewed Elvis as an actor, a Hal Wallis production at Paramount studios mostly boasted top production values. Girls! Girls! Girls! was no different. It plays entirely to a movie-going demographic who lapped-up G.I. Blues and Blue Hawaii, doesn't deviate from a formula that was still proving succesful and puts the Elvis on-screen persona to good use. Especially when the proceedings are relatively brisk, despite the song-count being a few too many. If that's something you like, Girls! Girls! Girls! is going to be ideal viewing.

Looking at the bigger picture, we can reflect on a type of film that helped establish Elvis as a leading man whose box office credentials were sound. In 1962, there was still much for Elvis to aspire to in Hollywood and he had every reason to expect that better scripts and more substantial material would come his way. Which, in some instances, did. But with Elvis being far from pro-active and a manager more intent on profit participation and increased salaries than better scripts and challenging opportunities, new deals weren't going to be inked on the weight of Elvis's acting potential or proven abilities with dramatic material, such as King Creole. Therefore, a movie like Girls! Girls! Girls! wasn't followed by a more dramatic effort in the way Flaming Star and Wild in the Country followed G.I. Blues. Instead, we have a long, uninterrupted succession of flimsy, formulaic and increasingly banal offerings that only served to continue a trend away from what Elvis wanted to be as an actor, and who he genuinely was as a singer and musician. There were exceptions, of course, especially Viva Las Vegas, which perfected the Presley musical movie formula. A formula that worked for Girls! Girls! Girls!, which achieved most of what was desired, even if it wasn't hugely profitable. Also, bearing in mind the popularity of its soundtrack and the fact that a classic single, in the shape of Return to Sender, can be traced to this film. By the time Girls! Girls! Girls! was released, It Happened at the World's Fair had already been in production and Fun in Acapulco would soon be into full production. The same type of movie was, quite literally, being churned out, and despite the entertainment value or merits of any one of those vehicles on an individual basis, they had little in the way of true individuality or diversity for their star or audiences. The saying, "Familiarity breeds contempt" springs readily to mind -- for audiences and Elvis alike.

I completey agree with you here.
He may have been heading off the road, but he wasn't in the ditch yet.
Yes, the production values are pretty good, and the formula still seemed to be working.
I still think it's a very entertaining film, and perhaps alot of you would have liked it more had
Ann-Margret been cast as the female love interest, or even in the Stella Stevens role, since Ann had a better singing voice.
Maybe they should have gotten Jayne Mansfield to play the Stella Stevens role and Ann play the Laurel Goodwin role...now that would have
been a movie.

I do like that end title version of Girls, girls, girls, too. Elvis doing the twist in 1962. Neat stuff.
Last edited by ekenee on Tue May 07, 2013 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 07, 2013 4:22 am

In time it did breed contempt, didn't it? So sad.

Tue May 07, 2013 4:33 am

greystoke wrote:Girls! Girls! Girls! isn't a film that I dislike, although it's far from being a favourite. We are all fully aware of where this movie stands in the Elvis movie canon, and despite its flaws, there are good moments, not least of all the Return to Sender sequence and some fine location filming, lensed beautifully by Paramount stalwart, Loyal Griggs. And, think what you may of how Hal Wallis viewed Elvis as an actor, a Hal Wallis production at Paramount studios mostly boasted top production values. Girls! Girls! Girls! was no different. It plays entirely to a movie-going demographic who lapped-up G.I. Blues and Blue Hawaii, doesn't deviate from a formula that was still proving succesful and puts the Elvis on-screen persona to good use. Especially when the proceedings are relatively brisk, despite the song-count being a few too many. If that's something you like, Girls! Girls! Girls! is going to be ideal viewing.

Looking at the bigger picture, we can reflect on a type of film that helped establish Elvis as a leading man whose box office credentials were sound. In 1962, there was still much for Elvis to aspire to in Hollywood and he had every reason to expect that better scripts and more substantial material would come his way. Which, in some instances, did. But with Elvis being far from pro-active and a manager more intent on profit participation and increased salaries than better scripts and challenging opportunities, new deals weren't going to be inked on the weight of Elvis's acting potential or proven abilities with dramatic material, such as King Creole. Therefore, a movie like Girls! Girls! Girls! wasn't followed by a more dramatic effort in the way Flaming Star and Wild in the Country followed G.I. Blues. Instead, we have a long, uninterrupted succession of flimsy, formulaic and increasingly banal offerings that only served to continue a trend away from what Elvis wanted to be as an actor, and who he genuinely was as a singer and musician. There were exceptions, of course, especially Viva Las Vegas, which perfected the Presley musical movie formula. A formula that worked for Girls! Girls! Girls!, which achieved most of what was desired, even if it wasn't hugely profitable. Also, bearing in mind the popularity of its soundtrack and the fact that a classic single, in the shape of Return to Sender, can be traced to this film. By the time Girls! Girls! Girls! was released, It Happened at the World's Fair had already been in production and Fun in Acapulco would soon be into full production. The same type of movie was, quite literally, being churned out, and despite the entertainment value or merits of any one of those vehicles on an individual basis, they had little in the way of true individuality or diversity for their star or audiences. The saying, "Familiarity breeds contempt" springs readily to mind -- for audiences and Elvis alike.

Lovely post, and a compassionate, spot-on summation of where 1962 fell in the Elvis story.

Tue May 07, 2013 6:34 am

Here's a little something from a newspaper when the film came out- held over a third week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue May 07, 2013 6:55 am

Its not a favourite of mine ,but its certainly not his worse film

Tue May 07, 2013 7:30 am

"oh I suppose "Kapoo knows" ..

Tue May 07, 2013 11:26 am

There was always a 6-to-12 month delay in what Elvis laid down on record or on celluloid, until it's exposure to the public. That was to a certain degree inevitable, I suppose, especially with films. It was a stockpile / work-in-progress approach which is necessary in any type of business.

But what was it that Vince Everett said in Jailhouse Rock ? "Music changes every 6 months and you gotta change with it". And Peggy Van Alden, "Nobody gets so big that they can ignore the records". I hasten to add that I paraphrase from memory, in both cases. But I have thought often about these quotes over the years, in regard to Elvis. By the time GGG was released, the music scene was undergoing a complete transformation, especially in England. Ironically, it was at this time that I became an Elvis fan and the first newly released Elvis film that I saw was World's Fair.

There have been some excellent posts on this thread and a pleasing absence of "Elvis couldn't act", or, "all his post-army films were garbage" comments. I agree that Elvis seemed to have enjoyed making 'Girl Happy' (who wouldn't have ?). I agree that Kissin' Cousins was the first genuine low - though the soundtrack benefited from being recorded in Nashville, despite some dubious material. I am glad, too, that there are others who enjoy 'Song Of The Shrimp'. Its title is its downfall, and on that hangs its reputation; but it is a charmingly performed calypso with an exceedingly pretty tune and it is one of the most colourful and beautifully filmed of all of Elvis's songs.

Thanks, 'other Steve', for your kind comments. I have recorded piano versions of a good many tunes in recent years, in my own arrangements and for my own amusement. They include a goodly number of Elvis songs and one of these is 'A World Of Our Own', mainly because it has a nice melody structure. I also find myself singing 'Beyond The Bend', quite frequently, so I'm not all bad ! I agree with those who prefer the shorter version of 'One Broken Heart For Sale'. The extra verse, surprisingly, adds nothing to the song. But it was a major mistake to release the song as a single in the first place as it was a substandard 'nothing' song from the man who had been undisputed king of hit singles in 1960, 1961 and 1962. The 'song promotes the film / film promotes the song' mantra was finally self-destructive as the integrity of the material presented in each medium gradually diminished.

Tue May 07, 2013 5:52 pm

I agree that Kissin' Cousins was the first genuine low - though the soundtrack benefited from being recorded in Nashville, despite some dubious material

Benefited.....in terms of what?

Cause in my opinion it stands amongst the three worst sounding albums of the soundtracks in terms of sound quality.
Its downright awful......flat sounding, noisy and no dynamics.

Tue May 07, 2013 5:58 pm

Steve Morse wrote:There was always a 6-to-12 month delay in what Elvis laid down on record or on celluloid, until it's exposure to the public. That was to a certain degree inevitable, I suppose, especially with films. It was a stockpile / work-in-progress approach which is necessary in any type of business.

But what was it that Vince Everett said in Jailhouse Rock ? "Music changes every 6 months and you gotta change with it". And Peggy Van Alden, "Nobody gets so big that they can ignore the records". I hasten to add that I paraphrase from memory, in both cases. But I have thought often about these quotes over the years, in regard to Elvis. By the time GGG was released, the music scene was undergoing a complete transformation, especially in England. Ironically, it was at this time that I became an Elvis fan and the first newly released Elvis film that I saw was World's Fair.

There have been some excellent posts on this thread and a pleasing absence of "Elvis couldn't act", or, "all his post-army films were garbage" comments. I agree that Elvis seemed to have enjoyed making 'Girl Happy' (who wouldn't have ?). I agree that Kissin' Cousins was the first genuine low - though the soundtrack benefited from being recorded in Nashville, despite some dubious material. I am glad, too, that there are others who enjoy 'Song Of The Shrimp'. Its title is its downfall, and on that hangs its reputation; but it is a charmingly performed calypso with an exceedingly pretty tune and it is one of the most colourful and beautifully filmed of all of Elvis's songs.

Thanks, 'other Steve', for your kind comments. I have recorded piano versions of a good many tunes in recent years, in my own arrangements and for my own amusement. They include a goodly number of Elvis songs and one of these is 'A World Of Our Own', mainly because it has a nice melody structure. I also find myself singing 'Beyond The Bend', quite frequently, so I'm not all bad ! I agree with those who prefer the shorter version of 'One Broken Heart For Sale'. The extra verse, surprisingly, adds nothing to the song. But it was a major mistake to release the song as a single in the first place as it was a substandard 'nothing' song from the man who had been undisputed king of hit singles in 1960, 1961 and 1962. The 'song promotes the film / film promotes the song' mantra was finally self-destructive as the integrity of the material presented in each medium gradually diminished.

The only thing I dissagree with is "one broken heart for sale".

The record was too short. It needed the longer version.

It's also an oddity in that usually the shorter versions turn out to be the movie versions, but in this case they used the long version in the movie.

And it would have been a different, better record had they worked on it more, and it was recorded in Nashville.
The recording itself is not good sound. All takes sound like early takes and not worked on to perfection.
Also, the arrangement could have been improved.

I think it's a catchy number.

Tue May 07, 2013 7:00 pm

matilda wrote:

I agree that Kissin' Cousins was the first genuine low - though the soundtrack benefited from being recorded in Nashville, despite some dubious material

Cause in my opinion it stands amongst the three worst sounding albums of the soundtracks in terms of sound quality.

The original instrumental recording was probably lovely (I think it was engineered by Bill Porter) but EP's vocal was overdubbed quite badly, hence the disappointing final audio.

Tue May 07, 2013 7:16 pm

George Smith wrote:
matilda wrote:

The original instrumental recording was probably lovely (I think it was engineered by Bill Porter) but EP's vocal was overdubbed quite badly, hence the disappointing final audio.

it's an awful LP. No way around it.

Tue May 07, 2013 11:11 pm

I really like Kissin Cousins (single version) Once Is Enough, Anyone and Tender Feeling, as well as the two 'bonus songs'. My least favourite is Barefoot Ballard.

Tue May 07, 2013 11:59 pm

I like the album ! always have always will !!!

Wed May 08, 2013 8:50 am

It has some nice songs on it...but the awful sound takes almost the fun away.....
Nashville did not helped here in any way...

Wed May 08, 2013 11:16 am

While listening to all Elvis records from 1956 on, yesterday I put Kissin Cousins, Roustabout, Girl Happy, For Everyone and Harum Scarum. To Be fair, Kissin Cousins sounded ok, specially when compared to the thin Girl Happy and the absolutely horrendous harum scarum, which sounds as if there were no music at all, only Elvis voice.

Wed May 08, 2013 11:23 am

frus75 wrote:While listening to all Elvis records from 1956 on, yesterday I put Kissin Cousins, Roustabout, Girl Happy, For Everyone and Harum Scarum. To Be fair, Kissin Cousins sounded ok, specially when compared to the thin Girl Happy and the absolutely horrendous harum scarum, which sounds as if there were no music at all, only Elvis voice.

You should have listened to the Double Features mixes instead ;)

Wed May 08, 2013 11:27 am

JimmyCool wrote:
frus75 wrote:While listening to all Elvis records from 1956 on, yesterday I put Kissin Cousins, Roustabout, Girl Happy, For Everyone and Harum Scarum. To Be fair, Kissin Cousins sounded ok, specially when compared to the thin Girl Happy and the absolutely horrendous harum scarum, which sounds as if there were no music at all, only Elvis voice.

Yes, I should've been wiser!! And to think that today I'll reach a couple of real bad sounding albums too, Frankie & Johnny and Double Trouble. :facep:

Wed May 08, 2013 3:01 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

JimmyCool wrote:

I recall many years ago when the Double Features series came out many fans didn´t like the new remasterings they used on those :roll:. Many years later when the new soundtracks came out many fans didn´t like the masterings they used from the original LP masters :shock:. Lucky me I didn´t sell my old Double Features cds because I enjoy them more now than at the time I bought them :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Wed May 08, 2013 4:18 pm

The DF are superior.....and on any of the soundtracks you mentioned you will find at least some great sounding songs in terms of sound quality....either harem, frankie or girl happy....at least from 1 to 2 or 3 tracks per album with really good quality.

Only kissin cousins sounded dull and real bad....and i mean every (!!)song...not one exception.....even on the DF they were not able to do something....
When i think alone about the noise level on "anyone" (to me the best song on that album....but cut from the movie)....rarely i heard such an amount of tape hiss on a song.
Just bad....

Fri May 10, 2013 4:53 am

I haven't seen the film in a while (but I love the sets and Elvis looks terrific in it), but the soundtrack is a delight. -- maybe my favourite, in fact. Some fans love to point fingers at this soundtrack and say that this is when the rot was setting in, but I think it offers a really classy song selection, has fantastic musicianship, solid engineering, and features an Elvis in top voice. From the explosive fun of the title track (a potent aphrodisiac), to the moving and absolutely gorgeous love ballads, the one-off creation of the surreal "Mama", the utterly charming "Earth Boy", the groovy rocker "Plantation Rock", the sweet calypso "Song Of The Shrimp", the amazing "Return To Sender", and strange musical ditties like "We're Coming In Loaded" and "Thanks To The Rolling Sea", this is Elvis flying high, putting his talent to a number of musical styles, and emerging a more rounded, mature artist for what he wrings out of them. He really asserted the magnetic appeal of his singing in these sessions, I think, and it's that, combined with the good range of songs, and the sound quality, that I've found make me return to these tracks willingly and often.

Fri May 10, 2013 3:18 pm

Girls Girls Girls was one of the first albums I purchased in 1962, before then my older siblings bought most of Elvis's and other records. I was so pleased with it at the time that I was even saying that it was the best Elvis LP so far! I still enjoy most of the tracks and do believe it was a well recorded soundtrack, with an enthusiastic Elvis and band, however my initial enthusiasm regarding it as the best album has now taken a much more realistic stance. :)

Fri May 10, 2013 7:56 pm

Cryogenic said : "From the explosive fun of the title track (a potent aphrodisiac), to the moving and absolutely gorgeous love ballads, the one-off creation of the surreal "Mama", the utterly charming "Earth Boy", the groovy rocker "Plantation Rock", the sweet calypso "Song Of The Shrimp", the amazing "Return To Sender", and strange musical ditties like "We're Coming In Loaded" and "Thanks To The Rolling Sea", this is Elvis flying high, putting his talent to a number of musical styles, and emerging a more rounded, mature artist for what he wrings out of them. He really asserted the magnetic appeal of his singing in these sessions, I think, and it's that, combined with the good range of songs, and the sound quality, that I've found make me return to these tracks willingly and often."

"Earth Boy"? "Song of the Shrimp"? "Mama"? Elvis was a mature artist singing crap like this? Putting "Return to Sender" in the same league with these clunkers is an insult to Elvis Presley's true talent.

Fri May 10, 2013 9:00 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:Cryogenic said : "From the explosive fun of the title track (a potent aphrodisiac), to the moving and absolutely gorgeous love ballads, the one-off creation of the surreal "Mama", the utterly charming "Earth Boy", the groovy rocker "Plantation Rock", the sweet calypso "Song Of The Shrimp", the amazing "Return To Sender", and strange musical ditties like "We're Coming In Loaded" and "Thanks To The Rolling Sea", this is Elvis flying high, putting his talent to a number of musical styles, and emerging a more rounded, mature artist for what he wrings out of them. He really asserted the magnetic appeal of his singing in these sessions, I think, and it's that, combined with the good range of songs, and the sound quality, that I've found make me return to these tracks willingly and often."

"Earth Boy"? "Song of the Shrimp"? "Mama"? Elvis was a mature artist singing crap like this? Putting "Return to Sender" in the same league with these clunkers is an insult to Elvis Presley's true talent.

Yes and Plantation Rock was such a kick-ass song it had to wait until he died before it was released. All crap from the worlds most famous singer in 1962. Return to Sender was in another galaxy compared to these songs. In fact, you have to wonder how a song so good made into this movie.

Fri May 10, 2013 10:14 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:Cryogenic said : "From the explosive fun of the title track (a potent aphrodisiac), to the moving and absolutely gorgeous love ballads, the one-off creation of the surreal "Mama", the utterly charming "Earth Boy", the groovy rocker "Plantation Rock", the sweet calypso "Song Of The Shrimp", the amazing "Return To Sender", and strange musical ditties like "We're Coming In Loaded" and "Thanks To The Rolling Sea", this is Elvis flying high, putting his talent to a number of musical styles, and emerging a more rounded, mature artist for what he wrings out of them. He really asserted the magnetic appeal of his singing in these sessions, I think, and it's that, combined with the good range of songs, and the sound quality, that I've found make me return to these tracks willingly and often."

I really like "Song of the Shrimp", it doesn't deserve its negative comments :!:

Fri May 10, 2013 10:33 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:From the explosive fun of the title track (a potent aphrodisiac), to the moving and absolutely gorgeous love ballads, the one-off creation of the surreal "Mama", the utterly charming "Earth Boy", the groovy rocker "Plantation Rock", the sweet calypso "Song Of The Shrimp", the amazing "Return To Sender", and strange musical ditties like "We're Coming In Loaded" and "Thanks To The Rolling Sea", this is Elvis flying high, putting his talent to a number of musical styles, and emerging a more rounded, mature artist for what he wrings out of them. He really asserted the magnetic appeal of his singing in these sessions, I think, and it's that, combined with the good range of songs, and the sound quality, that I've found make me return to these tracks willingly and often.

I totally agree -- your comments are spot-on.

But I am sure Cryogenic was being ironic. There can be no other logical explanation. ;-)