Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Girls! Girls! Girls! is Great! Great! Great!

Sun May 05, 2013 11:39 pm

Alright Blue River, I would trade We're Comin' In Loaded for How Would You Like To Be, but otherwise I'll stand by what I wrote. World' Fair is as light as Cotton Candy (Land,) but the songs are pleasant to good and I love EP's voice on this album.

Mon May 06, 2013 12:25 am

It's a good movie. Not his best, but definitely not his worst.

Mon May 06, 2013 1:47 am

The Girls! Girls! Girls! Soundtrack reached No2 on the UK chart (was No2 for 7 of its 13 Top5 weeks) and spent 21 weeks on the chart. It was at No3 when The Beatles made their UK Album chart debut at No8 with Please Please Me, on 6th April 1963.

According to Wikipedia Girls! Girls! Girls! "was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture - Musical at the 1963 ceremony. Elvis Presley received a 2nd place Laurel Award for the best male performance in a musical for his acting role in this movie". Also reports it was the 19th Top Grossing film of the year.

In Britain on Jan 4th 1963, The Times newspaper reported that Elvis Presley was 2nd most popular star at the Box Office. In 1963 he was 3rd.
On the 30 No1 Hits debate, both Return To Sender and Crying In The Chapel were UK No1s.
Last edited by jungleroombear on Tue May 07, 2013 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 06, 2013 1:53 am

jungleroombear wrote:On the 30 No1 Hits debate, both Return To Sender and Crying In The Chapel were UK No1s.

Yes, as was "Devil In Disguise".

Mon May 06, 2013 1:57 am

stevelecher wrote:
Steve Morse wrote:The film is quite good - it has a certain 'edge' to it - with the exception of the opening and closing scenes which are as weak as dishwater. The album, I feel, is excellent because it is well recorded and Elvis sings with conviction.

Standards plummeted with the next soundtrack, however. Worlds Fair has a completely emasculated Elvis singing mostly dire songs and the recording quality is abysmal. 10 songs, lasting not much longer than 20 minutes - it was a disgrace.

There are no songs on World's Fair that are as bad as I Don't Want To, We'll Be Together, When A Boy Like Me Meets A Girl Like You, Earth Boy, We're Comin' In Loaded, or The Walls Have Ears. I'll listen to World's Fair any day over Girls Girls Girls.

You are way off the mark there.

For starters, the Girls, girls , girls, soundtrack recording quality was much better than World's fair.

You can hear the freaking tape reel moving on "They remind me too much of you" , for heaven's sakes.

The sound is much more dry and sounds like it was recorded on a sound stage.

I like many of the songs on Girls girls, girls, and Elvis sang them wonderfully.

World's fair was a true travelogue in which they capitalized on only because of the world's fair going on.

Producer probably said, "Let's film Elvis on the loose at the world's fair". Brillaint idea.

And then they use the inferior shorter take on "One broken heart for sale" for the single.

I could go on, but what's the point.

Mon May 06, 2013 4:47 am

I still like They Remind Me Too Much of You better than anything on GirlsGirlsGirls, including the marvelous Return To Sender. Technically, the Girls Girls Girls movie and LP were better produced, you are correct. I just like the World's Fair stuff better.

IMO, if all they have are the two versions of One Broken Heart For Sale that we know of, then they used the right one for the record. The longer version is not a completed record. It doesn't have a commercial sound. The extra verse does nothing for the song, again, IMO.

Mon May 06, 2013 5:15 am

I hadn't seen GGG in a LONG LONG time but I saw it the other night only because my young girl friend The Princess hadn't seen any of his movies and I can honestly say...

GIRLS! GIRLS! GIRLS! is.......BAD! BAD! BAD!

and boring as hell

And I used to (like 50 years ago!) think Stella Stevens was hot but my God what a dog!! And Laurel Goodwin??? Whose idea was it to cast her as Elvis' "leading" lady"????

And why in the world did they call it "GIRLS! GIRLS! GIRLS!" There were only TWO girls trying to get him!

And why did they cut "Where Do You Come From" one of the best songs from the movie?

Loser first classs!!

Mon May 06, 2013 5:30 am

A nice, entertaining movie. Elvis is good in the role he is asked to play. The soundtrack is not bad, IMHO, though I would not consider the album as a whole to be a rock classic. It's the kind of movie that one can simply sit back and enjoy; nothing complicated, no hidden messages, no political agendas. Simply fun.

rlj

Mon May 06, 2013 6:05 am

wwelvis wrote:I hadn't seen GGG in a LONG LONG time but I saw it the other night only because my young girl friend The Princess hadn't seen any of his movies and I can honestly say...

GIRLS! GIRLS! GIRLS! is.......BAD! BAD! BAD!

and boring as hell

And I used to (like 50 years ago!) think Stella Stevens was hot but my God what a dog!! And Laurel Goodwin??? Whose idea was it to cast her as Elvis' "leading" lady"????

And why in the world did they call it "GIRLS! GIRLS! GIRLS!" There were only TWO girls trying to get him!

And why did they cut "Where Do You Come From" one of the best songs from the movie?

Loser first classs!!

So, did the Princess dump you for showing her such a bad movie?

Maybe you should have went with "27 dresses". Chicks love that movie.

I do agree with you a little about the casting.

Reminds of the casting for leading lady in "Roustabout".

I wouldn't have picked either of them. Both characters had a bit of an attitude, perhaps to challenge Elvis' character, but

any guy would've said, "see ya".

So many hot young starlets back then to choose from too.

What about Stella's singing? Pretty bad.

I wish Annette Funicello had been cast with Elvis back then. She was so lovely.

Mon May 06, 2013 1:31 pm

stevelecher wrote:
Steve Morse wrote:The film is quite good - it has a certain 'edge' to it - with the exception of the opening and closing scenes which are as weak as dishwater. The album, I feel, is excellent because it is well recorded and Elvis sings with conviction.

Standards plummeted with the next soundtrack, however. Worlds Fair has a completely emasculated Elvis singing mostly dire songs and the recording quality is abysmal. 10 songs, lasting not much longer than 20 minutes - it was a disgrace.

There are no songs on World's Fair that are as bad as I Don't Want To, We'll Be Together, When A Boy Like Me Meets A Girl Like You, Earth Boy, We're Comin' In Loaded, or The Walls Have Ears. I'll listen to World's Fair any day over Girls Girls Girls.

It's strange - but healthy - how two Steves can hear things so differently !

To me, on GGG Elvis sings with authority and enthusiasm, knowing that he is still The King ; but I think that was the last time that he came across in that fashion, certainly in terms of soundtracks. The album is lively and has a certain open-air feel to it and there is great variety in the songs. Don't get me wrong - there were still some listenable soundtracks after this but not on any does Elvis come across as 'the leader of the pack'. Everything about the approach to movie soundtracks seemed, from then on (and from all parties concerned), to be going through the motions, with a lot of 'phoned-in' performances. He sounded almost sheepish at times. Fun In Acapulco was perhaps an exception, displaying a certain integrity.

World's Fair was the tipping point. The film itself is quite good, with a half-believable story, but Elvis sleepwalked through the soundtrack, and who could blame him ? The utter blandness of the songs and their lack of variety gives the album a claustrophobic, indoors feel. Who could sound convincing on such a boring selection ? The organ sound on some tracks was maybe just a flavour of the more mellow sounds at the time in the pop music field, but its inclusion hardly enhanced the reputation of 'The King Of Rock'. It would be something perhaps if, instead of the overall muffled sound, we had a crystal clear recording, but it would still not obscure what is a boring, third-rate, poor value soundtrack.

It seems we will have to 'agree to differ' on this matter.

Mon May 06, 2013 2:46 pm

So, I was flipping the channels around the other night and came across Girls! Girls! Girls! as well. My wife was sitting beside me and I thought that it had been quite awhile since I'd seen it, so I gave it a shot. After 30 minutes, I had to change channels. My wife knows what a fan I am, of course, but I just couldn't watch it with her there. After I turned the channel, her exact comment was, "Elvis must have been miserable doing that."

I told her, "He was, but things were about to get much worse. Kissin' Cousins and Easy Come, Easy Go were still yet to come."

Mon May 06, 2013 2:49 pm

I like the Plantation Rock song a lot but they cut it out. Along with Dr. John's choices I would say I Don't Want To Be Tied is decent too. The movie itself is terrible. Elvis looks, sings, and even moves great, but there's nothing there except two or three good songs. This was the first truly bad Elvis movie and LP.

Mon May 06, 2013 2:56 pm

I think that Girls is better than World's Fair movie but better than both is Fun in Acapulco (in soundtrack and actors like Ursula Andress)

Mon May 06, 2013 3:18 pm

BrianTCB wrote:Girls! Girls! Girls! was actually the # 13th top grossing film of 1962:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1962_in_film

The # 6th top grossing film of 1962 was Dr. No with Sean Connery.

Good film or not, that's pretty respectable!

Mon May 06, 2013 6:16 pm

I was 14 or 15 years old when I first watched the movie Girls! Girls! Girls!. I found it boring and still do.
But I love Stella Stevens. She was a beauty.

A Boy Like Me, A Girl Like You is a favourite ballad of mine. Great singing and beautiful lyrics & melody.
No need to mention it but Return to Sender is great!
I find Song of the Shrimp a charming song. It's quite unique in Elvis' catalogue of music. Sand Castles is a bit in the same style? No?

Mon May 06, 2013 6:42 pm

Steve Morse... a good, well written response to me. Thank you. We're probably arguing about who's sh*t sandwich tastes better, as both projects feauture substandard songs and we're disagreeing about which one we enjoy more. I disagree with you that World's Fair is the tipping point. Elvis is just as committed on this as he is on GGG to do his best with what he has. He himself is marvelous on both soundtracks and would remain so on FIA and Viva Las Vegas. In outtakes on World's Fair, he is focussed and professional, offering suggestions on how to improve the lullabies even. I think the turning point may be Kissin' Cousins, with more detachment from the material more evident with each new release. By Girl Happy, HS, F&J, and PHS, his vocals increasingly mirror the dire quality of the material until you can plainly hear his discomfort.

Thanks for your thoughtful post.

Mon May 06, 2013 6:50 pm

Turning point was def Kissin Cousins for me. Although I am not a fan of most Elvis 60's movies, GGG and Fair were like Ben Hur compared to Kissin Cousins. A certain threshold had been crossed with that film (and not a good one).

Mon May 06, 2013 6:57 pm

stevelecher wrote:Steve Morse... a good, well written response to me. Thank you. We're probably arguing about who's sh*t sandwich tastes better, as both projects feauture substandard songs and we're disagreeing about which one we enjoy more. I disagree with you that World's Fair is the tipping point. Elvis is just as committed on this as he is on GGG to do his best with what he has. He himself is marvelous on both soundtracks and would remain so on FIA and Viva Las Vegas. In outtakes on World's Fair, he is focussed and professional, offering suggestions on how to improve the lullabies even. I think the turning point may be Kissin' Cousins, with more detachment from the material more evident with each new release. By Girl Happy, HS, F&J, and PHS, his vocals increasingly mirror the dire quality of the material until you can plainly hear his discomfort.

Thanks for your thoughtful post.

I do think he enjoyed making Girl happy, looks to me like he had fun with his co stars !!!

Mon May 06, 2013 7:30 pm

stevelecher wrote:IMO, if all they have are the two versions of One Broken Heart For Sale that we know of, then they used the right one for the record. The longer version is not a completed record. It doesn't have a commercial sound. The extra verse does nothing for the song, again, IMO.

Interesting.....i thought the other way around.
The short lp master sounds so lifeless and the arrangement sounds also too much "sorry we did not know what we should come up with".
It just sounds rushed and like no effort was made.
The movie version on the other side is way better and sounds at least somewhat engaged.

Mon May 06, 2013 11:21 pm

rocknroller wrote:

I do think he enjoyed making Girl happy, looks to me like he had fun with his co stars !!!

I do like the movie too. Love Puppet On A String.

Tue May 07, 2013 12:28 am

stevelecher wrote:
rocknroller wrote:

Yeah Love Puppet On A String its a great track.
Last edited by rocknroller on Tue May 07, 2013 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 07, 2013 12:32 am

Julian Grant wrote:
It’s a very pleasant movie to watch, while far cry from where Elvis wanted to be with his own acting ambitions it remains a fun family movie and there is nothing wrong with that. For me, his excellent vocal made up for what can be considered a mediocre soundtrack and I completely wore out “Because Of Love” – Loved it then and love it still.

Yup.

Tue May 07, 2013 1:10 am

rocknroller wrote:
stevelecher wrote:
rocknroller wrote:

Just listening to it through headphones off Youtube. Or should that be through Youtube off headphones?What a sublime record!! Effortless performance by Elvis, and it could have been recorded last week, it sounds so contemporary.

Tue May 07, 2013 1:16 am

jungleroombear wrote:
rocknroller wrote:
stevelecher wrote:
rocknroller wrote:I do think he enjoyed making Girl happy, looks to me like he had fun with his co stars !!!

Just listening to it through headphones off Youtube. Or should that be through Youtube off headphones?What a sublime record!! Effortless performance by Elvis, and it could have been recorded last week, it sounds so contemporary.

It's a beautiful track, one of the very few good songs by the team of Tepper & Bennett (based on the public domain lullaby "Hush, Little Baby.")

http://davidneale.eu/elvis/originals/list7.html#S1420

Tue May 07, 2013 2:13 am

Girls! Girls! Girls! isn't a film that I dislike, although it's far from being a favourite. We are all fully aware of where this movie stands in the Elvis movie canon, and despite its flaws, there are good moments, not least of all the Return to Sender sequence and some fine location filming, lensed beautifully by Paramount stalwart, Loyal Griggs. And, think what you may of how Hal Wallis viewed Elvis as an actor, a Hal Wallis production at Paramount studios mostly boasted top production values. Girls! Girls! Girls! was no different. It plays entirely to a movie-going demographic who lapped-up G.I. Blues and Blue Hawaii, doesn't deviate from a formula that was still proving succesful and puts the Elvis on-screen persona to good use. Especially when the proceedings are relatively brisk, despite the song-count being a few too many. If that's something you like, Girls! Girls! Girls! is going to be ideal viewing.

Looking at the bigger picture, we can reflect on a type of film that helped establish Elvis as a leading man whose box office credentials were sound. In 1962, there was still much for Elvis to aspire to in Hollywood and he had every reason to expect that better scripts and more substantial material would come his way. Which, in some instances, did. But with Elvis being far from pro-active and a manager more intent on profit participation and increased salaries than better scripts and challenging opportunities, new deals weren't going to be inked on the weight of Elvis's acting potential or proven abilities with dramatic material, such as King Creole. Therefore, a movie like Girls! Girls! Girls! wasn't followed by a more dramatic effort in the way Flaming Star and Wild in the Country followed G.I. Blues. Instead, we have a long, uninterrupted succession of flimsy, formulaic and increasingly banal offerings that only served to continue a trend away from what Elvis wanted to be as an actor, and who he genuinely was as a singer and musician. There were exceptions, of course, especially Viva Las Vegas, which perfected the Presley musical movie formula. A formula that worked for Girls! Girls! Girls!, which achieved most of what was desired, even if it wasn't hugely profitable. Also, bearing in mind the popularity of its soundtrack and the fact that a classic single, in the shape of Return to Sender, can be traced to this film. By the time Girls! Girls! Girls! was released, It Happened at the World's Fair had already been in production and Fun in Acapulco would soon be into full production. The same type of movie was, quite literally, being churned out, and despite the entertainment value or merits of any one of those vehicles on an individual basis, they had little in the way of true individuality or diversity for their star or audiences. The saying, "Familiarity breeds contempt" springs readily to mind -- for audiences and Elvis alike.