Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Girls! Girls! Girls! is Great! Great! Great!

Sat May 04, 2013 9:27 am

Number 21 of the year, according to Variety: "The Show Business Bible."

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55990

Sat May 04, 2013 9:28 am

Girls, Girls, Girls (the song) is a great R&B cover. Those vocals remind me of 50s Elvis.
"Girls! Girls! Girls!" (the movie) is terrible.

Sat May 04, 2013 9:36 am

How is the soundtrack album considered a #1 hit if only the Return To Sender single ever hit #1 on a chart?

Sat May 04, 2013 10:36 am

Elvis looks great in the movie but the majority of the songs are subpar. The title song, "Return to Sender" and "I Don't Wanna be Tied" (I like the movie sequence when Elvis rocks and gyrates at the end of the song) are the best but "The Walls Have Ears", "Song of the Shrimp", "Earth Boy", "A Boy like me, a Girl like You" and "Because of Love" are not good, in my opinion.

Sat May 04, 2013 4:33 pm

“Return To Sender” was number one in the UK in November 1962, it was a UK number one again in April 2005.

That aside, I’ve a soft spot of “Girls! Girls! Girls!” as it was the very first Elvis move I owned, available at the time on a Betamax Video tape. I was going through a ‘kick’ at that time wearing the same sort of suits and I loved the look, used to trek around vintage clothes shops and walked around as a combonation of both Ross Carpenter & Mike Edwards for several years, never really like his hair style with the weird parting though :facep:

It’s a very pleasant movie to watch, while far cry from where Elvis wanted to be with his own acting ambitions it remains a fun family movie and there is nothing wrong with that. For me, his excellent vocal made up for what can be considered a mediocre soundtrack and I completely wore out “Because Of Love” – Loved it then and love it still.

I Don't Wanna' Be Tied.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat May 04, 2013 4:48 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Julian Grant wrote:For me, his excellent vocal made up for what can be considered a mediocre soundtrack and I completely wore out “Because Of Love” – Loved it then and love it still.

Completely agree with you on this 8) love the song Because of Love. He sang like a bird :smt020, Bye for now :smt006.

Sat May 04, 2013 4:53 pm

First of all I think Elvis 30 #1 Hits was based on Elvis' number ones on the US Billboard charts, and number ones he had in the UK. If you look, you will probably find that Return To Sender was # 1 in the UK. Good Luck Charms was def the last USA #1 before Suspicious Minds. They didn't take the Cashbox charts into account when compiling 30 #1's. As for the film, more of an adult story line than what was to come, but still cannot manage to sit thru it more than 10 mins of it. Its bad. Soundtrack sucks except for the title song and RTS. We're Coming In Loaded is good but too short. It shot to #3 because Elvis was still riding the Blue Hawaii high and the strength of the single. It didn't deserve that high a chart placing.

Sat May 04, 2013 4:56 pm

IMO the film is entertaining, not great but ok. The soundtrack included a few decent songs. Elvis's actually sings the songs better than they deserve thus making this lightweight material listenable.

Sat May 04, 2013 5:16 pm

Julian Grant wrote:“Return To Sender” was number one in the UK in November 1962, it was a UK number one again in April 2005.

That aside, I’ve a soft spot of “Girls! Girls! Girls!” as it was the very first Elvis move I owned, available at the time on a Betamax Video tape. I was going through a ‘kick’ at that time wearing the same sort of suits and I loved the look, used to trek around vintage clothes shops and walked around as a combonation of both Ross Carpenter & Mike Edwards for several years, never really like his hair style with the weird parting though :facep:

It’s a very pleasant movie to watch, while far cry from where Elvis wanted to be with his own acting ambitions it remains a fun family movie and there is nothing wrong with that. For me, his excellent vocal made up for what can be considered a mediocre soundtrack and I completely wore out “Because Of Love” – Loved it then and love it still.

I Don't Wanna' Be Tied.jpg

I like the movie and the LP. Great sound quality on the recordings. I have all the color stills. Both the England set of 8 and the USA set of 12. Great locations in Hawaii and love seeing Elvis out on a boat.

Sat May 04, 2013 5:27 pm

It's my understanding that 30 #1 Hits was primarily based on Billboard and the official UK charts plus a nod to Cashbox where required ("In The Ghetto" and "Burning Love").

It should pointed out that the "official" UK charts are somewhat retrospective. There wasn't one official UK chart throughout the 50s and most of the 60s: there were perhaps two or three as printed in different UK music periodicals (NME etc). It wasn't until the BBC and Guinness decided to assemble the definitive UK chart history that the charts were combined and an "official" listing was produced. Naturally this was not without controversy. The Beatles were robbed of a #1 with "Please Please Me" and Elvis also suffered -- "Wild In the Country", for example, was a UK #1 in some charts.

Back on topic, Girls! Girls! Girls! is an okay but not stunning movie, the obvious two tracks are great, Presley looks good and his voice is immaculate throughout.
Last edited by George Smith on Sat May 04, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 04, 2013 5:33 pm

I have always enjoyed this movie as i do most elvis movies !!!

Sat May 04, 2013 5:56 pm

The problem with the film is mostly to do with the pacing of it. At an hour and three-quarters it is a reel too long and thus outstays its welcome because the narrative has just too much padding. It's perfect rainy day viewing - it's just that it goes on for too long. It's odd, though, that the film comes in for so much criticism here when far worse films get defended.

The soundtrack, like the film itself, has too much filler and yet, aside from Earth Boy, it is difficult to single out a particular song as a bad performance or even particularly weak material. Songs like I Don't Want To, Because of Love, Where Do You Come From and A Boy Like Me are derivative efforts, but Elvis does sing them beautifully and they certainly are not offensive to the ear - but there are just too many similar-sounding ballads on one album. Some of the more interesting songs such as We're Comin' In Loaded and Thanks to the Rolling Sea are not developed enough, and have too short a running time for us to really get involved in them - but it's nice to hear Elvis doing something different, all the same, although Rolling Sea works better in the a capella version first heard on the Silver box in my opinion. Song of the Shrimp, meanwhile, is a love or hate effort - but let's not get into that argument again.

Sat May 04, 2013 6:29 pm

r&b wrote: They didn't take the Cashbox charts into account when compiling 30 #1's.

George Smith wrote:It's my understanding that 30 #1 Hits was primarily based on Billboard and the official UK charts plus a nod to Cashbox where required ("In The Ghetto" and "Burning Love").

Yes indeed.
Last edited by Blue River on Sat May 04, 2013 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 04, 2013 7:40 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Enjoy, straight from DrCarpentersOffice!!!!!!! :smt005. Bye for now :smt006.

phpBB [video]

Sun May 05, 2013 12:05 am

The film is quite good - it has a certain 'edge' to it - with the exception of the opening and closing scenes which are as weak as dishwater. The album, I feel, is excellent because it is well recorded and Elvis sings with conviction.

Standards plummeted with the next soundtrack, however. Worlds Fair has a completely emasculated Elvis singing mostly dire songs and the recording quality is abysmal. 10 songs, lasting not much longer than 20 minutes - it was a disgrace.

Sun May 05, 2013 12:07 am

It was very popular in the cinema at the time of its release, and is the last movie that I can remember girls in the audience screaming every time Elvis sang, which made Return To Sender and I Don't Wanna Be Tied in particular, seem almost like a live show!

The soundtrack wasn't too bad, a few too many ballads, but Song Of The Shrimp helped make up for them, a song I liked back then and still do. :wink:

Return To Sender was number one for 3 weeks, if I remember correctly, commencing from 29th November 1962 in the UK.

Sun May 05, 2013 12:56 am

Elvis voice on that sondtrack is fantastic

and few facts :

RETURN TO SENDER was no 1 in Israel
BECAUSE OF LOVE was a big hit in Israel, picked around the top 5

p.s.
I have very special emotion for the song : "I dont want to "

Sun May 05, 2013 7:08 am

Elvis dressed very suave and cool in that movie. All swagged out. Look at how the other men dress. He definitely stood out.

Sun May 05, 2013 4:27 pm

I like the song Earth Boy! It is a decent movie as it comes to "Elvis Movie" standards. And the two Asian kids are actually LIKEABLE not so much the kid on PHS.

Sun May 05, 2013 5:06 pm

jeanno wrote:Girls, Girls, Girls (the song) is a great R&B cover. Those vocals remind me of 50s Elvis.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Sun May 05, 2013 6:16 pm

Steve Morse wrote:The film is quite good - it has a certain 'edge' to it - with the exception of the opening and closing scenes which are as weak as dishwater. The album, I feel, is excellent because it is well recorded and Elvis sings with conviction.

Standards plummeted with the next soundtrack, however. Worlds Fair has a completely emasculated Elvis singing mostly dire songs and the recording quality is abysmal. 10 songs, lasting not much longer than 20 minutes - it was a disgrace.

There are no songs on World's Fair that are as bad as I Don't Want To, We'll Be Together, When A Boy Like Me Meets A Girl Like You, Earth Boy, We're Comin' In Loaded, or The Walls Have Ears. I'll listen to World's Fair any day over Girls Girls Girls.

Sun May 05, 2013 6:39 pm

stevelecher wrote:
Steve Morse wrote:The film is quite good - it has a certain 'edge' to it - with the exception of the opening and closing scenes which are as weak as dishwater. The album, I feel, is excellent because it is well recorded and Elvis sings with conviction.

There are no songs on World's Fair that are as bad as I Don't Want To, We'll Be Together, When A Boy Like Me Meets A Girl Like You, Earth Boy, We're Comin' In Loaded, or The Walls Have Ears.

Uhh... what about "Cotton Candy Land", "Take Me To The Fair", and "How Would You Like To Be" ?

For the three songs I've listed, I'll give 'em to you and I'll take "We'll Be Together", "I Don't Want To", and "We're Comin' In Loaded". :lol:

Sun May 05, 2013 7:19 pm

Blue River wrote:
stevelecher wrote:

There are no songs on World's Fair that are as bad as I Don't Want To, We'll Be Together, When A Boy Like Me Meets A Girl Like You, Earth Boy, We're Comin' In Loaded, or The Walls Have Ears.

Uhh... what about "Cotton Candy Land", "Take Me To The Fair", and "How Would You Like To Be" ?

For the three songs I've listed, I'll give 'em to you and I'll take "We'll Be Together", "I Don't Want To", and "We're Comin' In Loaded". :lol:

I find Cotton Candy land rather good for what it is. Rather sinister sounding for a lullaby!

Sun May 05, 2013 9:46 pm

The reason Elvis' soundtracks plummeted in quality was because the songs became plot based rather than just getting good songs.

The best Elvis movie songs are songs that can exsist outside of the films.

I was thinking that Otis Blackwell & Winnfield Scott and Don Robertson probably had some good songs laying around that Elvis could have recorded to finish the soundtrack to It happened at the World's fair.

Speaking of Girls! Girls! Girls! i remember Otis Blackwell saying that ''Return to Sender'' wasn't a song he specifically wrote for the movie it was just something he'd written that got picked for it.

Why they didn't just pick songs and then insert them into the movie a lot more often i'll never understand.

That's what worked best rather than trying to write songs to specifically fit the plot.

Sun May 05, 2013 10:32 pm

brian wrote:The reason Elvis' soundtracks plummeted in quality was because the songs became plot based rather than just getting good songs.

The best Elvis movie songs are songs that can exsist outside of the films.

I was thinking that Otis Blackwell & Winnfield Scott and Don Robertson probably had some good songs laying around that Elvis could have recorded to finish the soundtrack to It happened at the World's fair.

Speaking of Girls! Girls! Girls! i remember Otis Blackwell saying that ''Return to Sender'' wasn't a song he specifically wrote for the movie it was just something he'd written that got picked for it.

Why they didn't just pick songs and then insert them into the movie a lot more often i'll never understand.

That's what worked best rather than trying to write songs to specifically fit the plot.

It quite clearly depended on the role Elvis was playing. If he was playing a singer, then it was easy to just put any song in they liked. If he was meant to be riding a horse at a time, it becomes more difficult. But even a film like Spinout had a previously written song in it - Stop Look and Listen had been recorded two years before by Ricky Nelson.