Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Girls! Girls! Girls! is Great! Great! Great!

Fri May 10, 2013 11:12 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:From the explosive fun of the title track (a potent aphrodisiac), to the moving and absolutely gorgeous love ballads, the one-off creation of the surreal "Mama", the utterly charming "Earth Boy", the groovy rocker "Plantation Rock", the sweet calypso "Song Of The Shrimp", the amazing "Return To Sender", and strange musical ditties like "We're Coming In Loaded" and "Thanks To The Rolling Sea", this is Elvis flying high, putting his talent to a number of musical styles, and emerging a more rounded, mature artist for what he wrings out of them. He really asserted the magnetic appeal of his singing in these sessions, I think, and it's that, combined with the good range of songs, and the sound quality, that I've found make me return to these tracks willingly and often.



"Earth Boy"? "Song of the Shrimp"? "Mama"? Elvis was a mature artist singing crap like this? Putting "Return to Sender" in the same league with these clunkers is an insult to Elvis Presley's true talent.


I totally agree -- your comments are spot-on.

But I am sure Cryogenic was being ironic. There can be no other logical explanation. ;-)


I wasn't being ironic, ironically. :wink:

Ironically, I think you are -- hmm? :twisted:

You sort of have to take the movie soundtracks for what they are: good, clean fun, where Elvis gets to try out different styles, adopt a kind of Dean Martin-esque swagger, and craft a series of curios that are an apt expression of his upside-down, epicurean lifestyle.

While one can, of course, cherry pick, for either positive or negative ends, his movie song pantheon is, IMO, a highly appealing one, and only really comes in for a drubbing for what Elvis DIDN'T do rather than what he did -- namely, keep the lighter side of his persona/career in check by continuing to record innovative, impassioned pop music (non-movie material) in Studio B or wherever. The movie material should have remained an entertaining sidebar, not become the main focus of his output in a recording studio. But hindsight is always 50-50.

Re: Girls! Girls! Girls! is Great! Great! Great!

Sat May 11, 2013 7:21 am

Cryogenic wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:From the explosive fun of the title track (a potent aphrodisiac), to the moving and absolutely gorgeous love ballads, the one-off creation of the surreal "Mama", the utterly charming "Earth Boy", the groovy rocker "Plantation Rock", the sweet calypso "Song Of The Shrimp", the amazing "Return To Sender", and strange musical ditties like "We're Coming In Loaded" and "Thanks To The Rolling Sea", this is Elvis flying high, putting his talent to a number of musical styles, and emerging a more rounded, mature artist for what he wrings out of them. He really asserted the magnetic appeal of his singing in these sessions, I think, and it's that, combined with the good range of songs, and the sound quality, that I've found make me return to these tracks willingly and often.



"Earth Boy"? "Song of the Shrimp"? "Mama"? Elvis was a mature artist singing crap like this? Putting "Return to Sender" in the same league with these clunkers is an insult to Elvis Presley's true talent.


I totally agree -- your comments are spot-on.

But I am sure Cryogenic was being ironic. There can be no other logical explanation. ;-)


I wasn't being ironic, ironically. :wink:

Ironically, I think you are -- hmm? :twisted:

You sort of have to take the movie soundtracks for what they are: good, clean fun, where Elvis gets to try out different styles, adopt a kind of Dean Martin-esque swagger, and craft a series of curios that are an apt expression of his upside-down, epicurean lifestyle.

While one can, of course, cherry pick, for either positive or negative ends, his movie song pantheon is, IMO, a highly appealing one, and only really comes in for a drubbing for what Elvis DIDN'T do rather than what he did -- namely, keep the lighter side of his persona/career in check by continuing to record innovative, impassioned pop music (non-movie material) in Studio B or wherever. The movie material should have remained an entertaining sidebar, not become the main focus of his output in a recording studio. But hindsight is always 50-50.


I agree, not only did he practically ignore recording, but he also didn't tour at all in the 60's.

He filmed "quickie" movies, at 3 a year so that left him 6 months a year to do nothing.

Re: Girls! Girls! Girls! is Great! Great! Great!

Sat May 11, 2013 7:23 am

Actually, hindsight is usually 100%.

Re: Girls! Girls! Girls! is Great! Great! Great!

Sat May 11, 2013 7:31 am

Well, the problem with these early movie sessions is that they were literally "pot luck" -- in terms of song selection, lyrics, general presentation. It was "Elvis," the proverbial "box of chocolates."

You had competing interests: the producers of the film, song publishers, Elvis himself along with his musicians. The latter two, earlier on, wanting to do their best, while other interests were far more mercenary. I think you can actually hear this conflict in some of this music.

In the 50s, and during the Comeback period, Elvis seemed to care a lot about lyrical content. He certainly had a sentimental streak, always, but he had tended to avoid content that lacked "guts." The films, though, had VERY lightweight plots. And many of the songs in this flick demonstrate the discordance.

In other words, he was still trying to make the best of the situation.

That attitude would not last long.

rjm



Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Re: Girls! Girls! Girls! is Great! Great! Great!

Sat May 11, 2013 3:56 pm

stevelecher wrote:Actually, hindsight is usually 100%.


Actually to your actually... hindsight is usually 20/20 (or 6/6).

It's okay. Mistakes -- we all make 'em!

:facep: :D

Re: Girls! Girls! Girls! is Great! Great! Great!

Sun May 12, 2013 6:10 am

Cryogenic wrote:
stevelecher wrote:Actually, hindsight is usually 100%.


Actually to your actually... hindsight is usually 20/20 (or 6/6).

It's okay. Mistakes -- we all make 'em!

:facep: :D

Yes, we all do. No offense intended. Cheers.

Re: Girls! Girls! Girls! is Great! Great! Great!

Sun May 12, 2013 9:00 am

stevelecher wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:
stevelecher wrote:Actually, hindsight is usually 100%.


Actually to your actually... hindsight is usually 20/20 (or 6/6).

It's okay. Mistakes -- we all make 'em!

:facep: :D

Yes, we all do. No offense intended. Cheers.


Oh, absolutely! :)

You're gonna think I'm kidding, but I woke up some time ago and suddenly said to myself, "****! Did I say 'hindsight is always 50-50' on FECC earlier?"

No joke. It randomly popped into my head that I used the wrong terminology; and then I thought, at some point, I better correct it (that strange lucidity that sleep -- or post-sleep -- sometimes gives you). Only, by the time that I logged back on here, someone had quoted my entire post, and you had outdone them and spotlighted the error directly. :facep:

You know... generally, I love and hate the Internet in equal measure. :P

Of course, some would say my entire position on "Girls! Girls! Girls!" is a big fat mistake, so it doesn't really amount to a hill of beans. :mrgreen:

It's lucky I'm starting a fresh job next week, isn't it? Or there'd be no end of my inane preoccupations (actually, I think it's too late for that!).

Happy angel as you,
Happy earth boy as me

Re: Girls! Girls! Girls! is Great! Great! Great!

Sun May 12, 2013 9:10 am

Aw, heck, I thought it had some special meaning! :lol: I really did. I just thought I didn't get it.

I kinda wish they'd use that standard at the DMV - in California, anyway. 8)

rjm

Re: Girls! Girls! Girls! is Great! Great! Great!

Sun May 12, 2013 9:30 am

rjm wrote:Aw, heck, I thought it had some special meaning! :lol: I really did. I just thought I didn't get it.

I kinda wish they'd use that standard at the DMV - in California, anyway. 8)

rjm


Well, I think it works better. :P

If you think about it, even hindsight can only really be as good as tossing a coin.

This is the problem with criticism in general. As fans, we're all outsiders looking in.

We can barely begin to distill the complexities of living a life in full flow.

To some extent, we all amble through life, with an unsteady gait and a limited eye-view.

Re: Girls! Girls! Girls! is Great! Great! Great!

Sun May 12, 2013 2:48 pm

"Doin' The best I Can" - the best song from G. I. Blues in my opinion - describes perfectly the attitude of Elvis in the 60's movie soundtracks.

Re: Girls! Girls! Girls! is Great! Great! Great!

Sun May 12, 2013 3:24 pm

Cryogenic wrote:
rjm wrote:Aw, heck, I thought it had some special meaning! :lol: I really did. I just thought I didn't get it.

I kinda wish they'd use that standard at the DMV - in California, anyway. 8)

rjm


Well, I think it works better. :P

If you think about it, even hindsight can only really be as good as tossing a coin.

This is the problem with criticism in general. As fans, we're all outsiders looking in.

We can barely begin to distill the complexities of living a life in full flow.

To some extent, we all amble through life, with an unsteady gait and a limited eye-view.


I actually agreed with ur points on girls girls girls, Might be silly for others or not-Elvis songs.
I like em all and have no problem with any songs sung in Girls Girls Girls, i find myself often coming back to Song Of The Shrimp, And Wer'e Coming In Loaded.
They maybe arent topnotch songs or songs you expect for elvis, but im glad enough they exist. And most of the songs just work better in the movie then on an album.
Like song of the shrimp, Sung on a fishers boat. That makes more sence, then hearing elvis on an album singing about a shrimp.

Re: Girls! Girls! Girls! is Great! Great! Great!

Sun May 12, 2013 3:33 pm

Elvis and shellfish were never a good match musically (clams, shrimp, etc)

Re: Girls! Girls! Girls! is Great! Great! Great!

Sun May 12, 2013 7:23 pm

Cryogenic wrote:I haven't seen the film in a while (but I love the sets and Elvis looks terrific in it), but the soundtrack is a delight. -- maybe my favourite, in fact. Some fans love to point fingers at this soundtrack and say that this is when the rot was setting in, but I think it offers a really classy song selection, has fantastic musicianship, solid engineering, and features an Elvis in top voice. From the explosive fun of the title track (a potent aphrodisiac), to the moving and absolutely gorgeous love ballads, the one-off creation of the surreal "Mama", the utterly charming "Earth Boy", the groovy rocker "Plantation Rock", the sweet calypso "Song Of The Shrimp", the amazing "Return To Sender", and strange musical ditties like "We're Coming In Loaded" and "Thanks To The Rolling Sea", this is Elvis flying high, putting his talent to a number of musical styles, and emerging a more rounded, mature artist for what he wrings out of them. He really asserted the magnetic appeal of his singing in these sessions, I think, and it's that, combined with the good range of songs, and the sound quality, that I've found make me return to these tracks willingly and often.

Extremely well expressed, Cryo, and I'm in total agreement.

Re: Girls! Girls! Girls! is Great! Great! Great!

Mon May 13, 2013 7:48 pm

Cryogenic wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:"Earth Boy"? "Song of the Shrimp"? "Mama"? Elvis was a mature artist singing crap like this? Putting "Return to Sender" in the same league with these clunkers is an insult to Elvis Presley's true talent.


I totally agree -- your comments are spot-on.

But I am sure Cryogenic was being ironic. There can be no other logical explanation. ;-)


I wasn't being ironic, ironically. :wink:

Ironically, I think you are -- hmm? :twisted:

You sort of have to take the movie soundtracks for what they are: good, clean fun, where Elvis gets to try out different styles, adopt a kind of Dean Martin-esque swagger, and craft a series of curios that are an apt expression of his upside-down, epicurean lifestyle.


The 1960s soundtracks are what they are: mostly sub-standard material delivered with as much skill as possible. But, to portray them as anything more is ludicrous from a historical standpoint. The era was when Elvis basically threw away his art and his career. You can find ways to enjoy -- or simply excuse -- garbage like "Earth Boy" or "Song of the Shrimp," but in the real world they will always be just that: garbage.

Re: Girls! Girls! Girls! is Great! Great! Great!

Mon May 13, 2013 9:16 pm

"Song of the Shrimp". With all the negative comments that are made regarding this atmospheric, very pleasant, story song, I think that I may have to start a "Song of the Shrimp" appreciation society. Am I going to be the only member? :lol:

Re: Girls! Girls! Girls! is Great! Great! Great!

Mon May 13, 2013 9:48 pm

Chris Roberts wrote:"Song of the Shrimp". With all the negative comments that are made regarding this atmospheric, very pleasant, story song, I think that I may have to start a "Song of the Shrimp" appreciation society. Am I going to be the only member? :lol:


Perhaps. Of the many less-heralded Presley songs, "Song of the Shrimp" fully deserves its title of "garbage." ;-)

Re: Girls! Girls! Girls! is Great! Great! Great!

Mon May 13, 2013 11:44 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Chris Roberts wrote:"Song of the Shrimp". With all the negative comments that are made regarding this atmospheric, very pleasant, story song, I think that I may have to start a "Song of the Shrimp" appreciation society. Am I going to be the only member? :lol:


Perhaps. Of the many less-heralded Presley songs, "Song of the Shrimp" fully deserves its title of "garbage." ;-)

'Garbage' . . . in your opinion. Others think differently, and I'm not the only one. Perhaps you missed my comments above :

"I am glad, too, that there are others who enjoy 'Song Of The Shrimp'. Its title is its downfall, and on that hangs its reputation; but it is a charmingly performed calypso with an exceedingly pretty tune and it is one of the most colourful and beautifully filmed of all of Elvis's songs."

Perhaps you'd like to enlighten me as to why you belittle it ? Please review the performance and production in isolation. It's irrelevant what Elvis recorded in his career, before or after this. Tell me, too, if you will, where and why my brief 'review' of the song is wrong.

Thank you.

Re: Girls! Girls! Girls! is Great! Great! Great!

Tue May 14, 2013 12:00 am

Steve Morse wrote:Perhaps you'd like to enlighten me as to why you belittle it ? Please review the performance and production in isolation. It's irrelevant what Elvis recorded in his career, before or after this.


There is no need to mischaracterize a person's words because the opinion is too difficult to digest.

It's not belittling, it's stating a fact. The Sid Tepper and Roy C. Bennett song is insipid, insignificant soundtrack fodder, and someone as massively talented as Elvis Presley should never have been wasting his 27 year-old skills and artistry on such garbage. In fact, very few of the dozens of songs they managed to see Presley record were worth a damn.

And it is entirely relevant to consider Elvis' career up to this point. We aren't speaking of Fabian Forte or Tommy Sands. When a musician has proven, again and again, they are capable of making landmark, vibrant, revolutionary and relevant recordings, this means the bar has been set to a certain standard. And it is to this standard that the failures of Presley's 1960s Hollywood recordings must be measured.

Only on a Elvis Presley forum must it be explained in detail why material like "Song of the Shrimp" was inappropriate. ;-)

Re: Girls! Girls! Girls! is Great! Great! Great!

Tue May 14, 2013 12:09 am

More enlightenment! Here's a relevant excerpt from an insightful Roy C. Bennett interview:


Many fans consider Elvis' movie songs to be among his worst.

It has always been a disappointment to me as a songwriter that some fans regarded his movie songs as mediocre or just plain bad. Of course there were songs of varying quality, no more nor less than songs that were written for artists other than Elvis. It should be recognized that these songs were written for specific spots in the movies and the topics were therefore limited to particular situations and locales.

For example, for "Fun in Acapulco," where one of the characters is a female bullfighter, we wrote "The Bullfighter Was a Lady;" for "Girls! Girls! Girls!" where Elvis is working on a shrimp boat, "Song of the Shrimp" fit the scene; in the movies "Blue Hawaii" and "Paradise, Hawaiian Style" our songs had a Hawaiian flavor: "Drums of the Islands," "Hawaiian Sunset," "Island of Love," "Ito Eats" and "Beach Boy Blues." And, of course, the song "G.I. Blues" dealt with American occupation forces in Germany. We believed that the scenes were fun and it was a challenge to write for them.

Incidentally, If you analyze our songs, you'll find that most of them are ballads or novelties ... Also, we were two of the few (maybe the only?) songwriters who consciously tried to inject humor into Elvis's songs, for example: "The Bullfighter Was a Lady," "Song of the Shrimp," "Petunia," "The Lady Loves Me," "The Walls Have Ears," "Beach Boy Blues," "Ito Eats" and "Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce."

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/interview_bennett.html



Should Elvis Presley have been singing novelty songs at the peak of his career? No.

Re: Girls! Girls! Girls! is Great! Great! Great!

Tue May 14, 2013 12:15 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Chris Roberts wrote:"Song of the Shrimp". With all the negative comments that are made regarding this atmospheric, very pleasant, story song, I think that I may have to start a "Song of the Shrimp" appreciation society. Am I going to be the only member? :lol:


Count on me! 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Re: Girls! Girls! Girls! is Great! Great! Great!

Tue May 14, 2013 12:42 am

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Chris Roberts wrote:"Song of the Shrimp". With all the negative comments that are made regarding this atmospheric, very pleasant, story song, I think that I may have to start a "Song of the Shrimp" appreciation society. Am I going to be the only member? :lol:


Count on me! 8). Bye for now :smt006.


Thanks Mike and Steve, looks like there are 3 of us at least. :wink: John, if you change your mind you are welcome to join us. :)

Re: Girls! Girls! Girls! is Great! Great! Great!

Tue May 14, 2013 1:08 am

Chris Roberts wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Chris Roberts wrote:"Song of the Shrimp". With all the negative comments that are made regarding this atmospheric, very pleasant, story song, I think that I may have to start a "Song of the Shrimp" appreciation society. Am I going to be the only member? :lol:


Count on me! 8). Bye for now :smt006.


Thanks Mike and Steve, looks like there are 3 of us at least. :wink: John, if you change your mind you are welcome to join us. :)


I'll let you know. ;-)

Re: Girls! Girls! Girls! is Great! Great! Great!

Tue May 14, 2013 1:48 am

Count me in. It's a charming song, beautifully arranged and sung to perfection. I liked it when I first saw the film in 1968 and still enjoy it today. It showed great range and versatility by Mr. Presley.

Re: Girls! Girls! Girls! is Great! Great! Great!

Tue May 14, 2013 1:51 am

Steve Morse wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Chris Roberts wrote:"Song of the Shrimp". With all the negative comments that are made regarding this atmospheric, very pleasant, story song, I think that I may have to start a "Song of the Shrimp" appreciation society. Am I going to be the only member? :lol:


Perhaps. Of the many less-heralded Presley songs, "Song of the Shrimp" fully deserves its title of "garbage." ;-)

'Garbage' . . . in your opinion. Others think differently, and I'm not the only one. Perhaps you missed my comments above :

"I am glad, too, that there are others who enjoy 'Song Of The Shrimp'. Its title is its downfall, and on that hangs its reputation; but it is a charmingly performed calypso with an exceedingly pretty tune and it is one of the most colourful and beautifully filmed of all of Elvis's songs."

Perhaps you'd like to enlighten me as to why you belittle it ? Please review the performance and production in isolation. It's irrelevant what Elvis recorded in his career, before or after this. Tell me, too, if you will, where and why my brief 'review' of the song is wrong.

Thank you.



He just doesn't like sea food.

I like the song too.

It's not garbage at all.

It fits into the soundtrack and Elvis sings it wonderfully.

The melody is very catchy.

The lyrics are nonsensical but its calypso, its about fun.

Why someone would call this garbage when we know that the bar drop several more notches in the next few years.

Re: Girls! Girls! Girls! is Great! Great! Great!

Tue May 14, 2013 2:22 am

ekenee wrote:
Steve Morse wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Chris Roberts wrote:"Song of the Shrimp". With all the negative comments that are made regarding this atmospheric, very pleasant, story song, I think that I may have to start a "Song of the Shrimp" appreciation society. Am I going to be the only member? :lol:


Perhaps. Of the many less-heralded Presley songs, "Song of the Shrimp" fully deserves its title of "garbage." ;-)

'Garbage' . . . in your opinion. Others think differently, and I'm not the only one. Perhaps you missed my comments above :

"I am glad, too, that there are others who enjoy 'Song Of The Shrimp'. Its title is its downfall, and on that hangs its reputation; but it is a charmingly performed calypso with an exceedingly pretty tune and it is one of the most colourful and beautifully filmed of all of Elvis's songs."

Perhaps you'd like to enlighten me as to why you belittle it ? Please review the performance and production in isolation. It's irrelevant what Elvis recorded in his career, before or after this. Tell me, too, if you will, where and why my brief 'review' of the song is wrong.

Thank you.



He just doesn't like sea food.

I like the song too.

It's not garbage at all.

It fits into the soundtrack and Elvis sings it wonderfully.

The melody is very catchy.

The lyrics are nonsensical but its calypso, its about fun.

Why someone would call this garbage when we know that the bar drop several more notches in the next few years.


You do realize we are talking about Elvis Presley here, the man who revolutionized a whole youth movement almost by himself in the 50's. To think 6 yrs later he would be recording crap like this is mind-boggling. I was 11 when this LP came out, and as kid , I thought it was lame and questioned why? I don't want to hear it fit the scene. Delete the damn scene and save us from having Elvis embarrass himself with this material. The same goes for many other songs. Movie EP soundtracks were always more logical and enjoyable. Even Elvis himself said, when you record 13 songs for a movie, they cant all be good!