Sun May 05, 2013 2:53 am

r&b wrote:
jungleroombear wrote:
r&b wrote:
rjm wrote:
Matthew wrote:
rjm wrote:
Matthew wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:No worse than Yellow Submarine by those four lads.

Oh there are big distinctions between the two.

Being that if they missed, they learned from it, and did not return to an error in judgment.

Yellow Submarine was clearly not an error in judgement.

Not their best, in my view. And they did always try to do their best. That was my point.

Elvis settled. While others kept the pressure on themselves to keep the quality top notch.

And he knew! He said so, later, but expressed helplessness. Or he *felt* helpless, of course.

I much prefer their early films. And Let It Be, the film. But that's personal choice. The point is that they did not settle. There is no perfection in this world, but some strive for it. Continously. That's what I meant.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Yellow Submarine was not their best, but they said at the time, we wanted to write a kids song for Ringo and that's what it was. As a record, it had great production values, innovative sounds, background noises, funny sidelines from John, not exactly a throw away project by any means. It also became a major cartoon motion picture. By contrast, Elvis cut a kids song 1 year later, Confidence. See the difference?

There you go again. You really need a holiday. Of course Elvis cut kids songs long before. In any case and IMO Yellow Submarine is a meaningless song... sugared over (no pun intended) with lots of trippy, err innovative noises. But of course the "it's for the kids" selling point went down a storm. Even if Pauls reasoning is genuine, judging by the ensemble, the recording itself was probably a collaboratative drug fest. "Confidence" on the other hand is a genuine and honest, kids song.

Yes Confidence is a genuine kids song and one of the worst vocals of his career (basically the whole soundtrack was). How anyone can defend this song is beyond me. If you want to believe Yellow Submarine was just a drug fest and not a kids song, I suggest you tell that to all the kids who used to watch Beatles cartoons on Sat mornings which were born out of Yellow Submarine. Unbel stuff I read here.

Well if Confidence is one of the worst, you must absolutely adore the other 1000 plus... which is a revelation in itself, so good on ya R&B. As for Yellow Submarine.. yes, it is sad but none-the-less amazing how gullible and manipulated us commoners can be!

Re: Stupidest 45 release ever

Sun May 05, 2013 6:11 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:No worse than Yellow Submarine by those four lads.

This old saw always comes out as an example of a "bad" song by the Beatles. And we weren't even discussing them.

Aesthetics aside, this one-off children's song was a huge hit single, #1 all over the world and, as noted, the inspiration for a now-classic, full-length animated motion picture.

Somehow, it doesn't seem "The Walls Have Ears" can quite measure up to any such comparison with "Yellow Submarine," and perhaps it was foolish to make such a statement. ;-)

Sun May 05, 2013 6:31 am

My first Elvis record was sings hits from the movies as a kid i liked confidence .Elvis was bored by the Clambake era .said he fell off something and got a concussion before filming started.
Why did he keep doing these stupid movies? 2 of the best late 60s Charro at least he didnt have to sing any songs in it straight out acting.Change of habit was great too,

Sun May 05, 2013 9:41 am

I always found this single a nice novelty. There have been more redicoulous single releases throughout the years. Nothing to take too serious. Elvis made great songs and some stinkers too...

Sun May 05, 2013 9:52 pm

BlueGuitar wrote:
brian wrote:How well did Elvis' version of ''The Walls have ears'' do in Germany, Finland and The Netherlands?

Hello Brian,

Elvis' version was a hit in Finland but I do not know it's highest chart position. I'll try to find some additional info.

Since Elvis' version was released as a single there you'd think his version would have been a #1 hit instead of Eion Gron.

Sun May 05, 2013 9:58 pm

IIRC, over here in Germany "Wooden Heart" peaked at #2 on the german single charts and sold over a million copies.

Sun May 05, 2013 11:48 pm

brian wrote:
BlueGuitar wrote:
brian wrote:How well did Elvis' version of ''The Walls have ears'' do in Germany, Finland and The Netherlands?

Hello Brian,

Elvis' version was a hit in Finland but I do not know it's highest chart position. I'll try to find some additional info.

Since Elvis' version was released as a single there you'd think his version would have been a #1 hit instead of Eion Gron.

Dear Brian,

thank you for reply and please remember, that "The Walls Have Ears" wasn't exactly the only Elvis single on the market at the time.

I also found the info I was looking for; "The Walls Have Ears" peaked at number 5 in Finland (November 1963). On the same chart "(You're The) Devil In Disguise" was number 2 (highest chart placing for the single here).

Sun May 05, 2013 11:50 pm

Thanks for that info Blueguitar.

Mon May 06, 2013 3:55 am

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Do the Clam yet.

Mon May 06, 2013 5:20 am

I hear you about the "Do the Clam" single. It has to be one of the worst couplings ever made of two Elvis recordings.

Mon May 06, 2013 2:14 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:IIRC, over here in Germany "Wooden Heart" peaked at #2 on the german single charts and sold over a million copies.

Somewhere I have read that "Wooden Heart" was the most successful, non-american single-release of the King. So I guess the tune appealed to a much broader audience than many of the good, ol' Rock' n Roll songs.

Mon May 06, 2013 7:00 pm

A. C. van Kuijk wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:IIRC, over here in Germany "Wooden Heart" peaked at #2 on the german single charts and sold over a million copies.

Somewhere I have read that "Wooden Heart" was the most successful, non-american single-release of the King. So I guess the tune appealed to a much broader audience than many of the good, ol' Rock' n Roll songs.

Really, "Wooden Heart" is one of the major highlights of the Presley canon.

Mon May 06, 2013 7:23 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Really, "Wooden Heart" is one of the major highlights of the Presley canon.

It's a fun song that sold well in a lot of countries. It was a #1 hit in the U.K.

Mon May 06, 2013 7:37 pm

Elfan wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Really, "Wooden Heart" is one of the major highlights of the Presley canon.

It's a fun song that sold well in a lot of countries. It was a #1 hit in the U.K.

Indeed. When I think of "Elvis Presley," the song "Wooden Heart" springs to mind immediately.

Mon May 06, 2013 7:39 pm

The line, "It was always you from the start" brings on the goosebumps.

Mon May 06, 2013 7:42 pm

Rob wrote:The line, "It was always you from the start" brings on the goosebumps.

"Must I stay to lie in de house ... HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!"

Fri May 10, 2013 3:44 am

How about ..............
This

Or perhaps
This

Fri May 10, 2013 7:51 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Elfan wrote:

Indeed. When I think of "Elvis Presley," the song "Wooden Heart" springs to mind immediately.

Can you imagine in Germany (especially in the eighties) this was probably THE song that had been associated with Elvis over here? :?

Gotta say it was one of the first Elvis songs I listened to... because my parents owned the single! :P

Fri May 10, 2013 11:53 pm

Wish there was a list of all the 45s from around the world.

Sat May 11, 2013 12:29 am

Not a list .... But .... http://www.45cat.com/artist/elvis-presley

For other than Elvis click home page ...... Or just search for Artist, Laber...etc.

Sat May 11, 2013 11:12 am

The Song of the shrimp is hillarious, can't believe somebody ever considered to write a song a bout shrimps and managing Elvis to sing it, YOUR REALLY GOOD !!!!!

Sat May 11, 2013 3:08 pm

Song of the shrimp tells a sad story if you care to listen to the lyrics.