Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Stupidest 45 release ever

Fri May 03, 2013 9:08 pm

Walls have ears and Song of the shrimp Netherlands release. Some overseas releases put our the stupid movie songs on 45.Wonder why they picked dumbest songs?

Re: Stupidest 45 release ever

Fri May 03, 2013 9:38 pm

ritchie valens wrote:Walls have ears and Song of the shrimp Netherlands release. Some overseas releases put our the stupid movie songs on 45.Wonder why they picked dumbest songs?

It's not the "Stupidest 45 release ever."

The 1963 single was an extra release -- at least in the Netherlands -- because of fan demand.

Billboard Nov 16 1963 p41.JPG
Billboard - November 16, 1963

Although it probably did not chart, it sold records, which is one of the primary goals of a record company.

Here's the 1963 German pressing:

631100_ RCA 47-9466_The Walls Have Ears_01.JPG

631100_ RCA 47-9466_The Walls Have Ears_02.JPG

631100_ RCA 47-9466_The Walls Have Ears_03.JPG

Fun stuff!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri May 03, 2013 10:14 pm

ritchie valens wrote:Walls have ears and Song of the shrimp Netherlands release. Some overseas releases put our the stupid movie songs on 45.Wonder why they picked dumbest songs?

Dear richie valens,

some of those movie songs were really very popular in Europe.

a Finnish cover version of "The Walls Have Ears" was recorded in 1963 by a Finnish artist (Eino Grön) as "Seinillä on korvat" and the Finnish cover was a number one hit in Finland. The Finnish translation followed the original lyrics very closely. Gröhn is still a very popular entertainer here today.

http://www.45cat.com/record/ks505fi

Here's Gröhn on Finnish TV in 1995:

phpBB [video]

Last edited by BlueGuitar on Fri May 03, 2013 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 03, 2013 10:39 pm

BlueGuitar wrote:

Here's Gröhn's on Finnish TV in 1995:

phpBB [video]

great audience ! does he sing in a retirement home ? :mrgreen:

Fri May 03, 2013 10:49 pm

nicolas0280 wrote: great audience ! does he sing in a retirement home ? :mrgreen:

Not really :D

If you watched closely you should have noticed the most important thing for the audience; it's the chance to dance tango!

In the early 60's Gröhn recorded some pop (and even twist), but he was and still is a tango singer.

Fri May 03, 2013 11:08 pm

There is no The Netherlands release for this single.
All singles sold in The Netherlands at that time were printed in Germany!
Only in 1956-1958 (or 1959) were singles and 78rpm's printed in The Netherlands although a lot were imported from Belgium.
From 1975 onwards Elvis discs were printed in The Netherlands again.

Sat May 04, 2013 12:10 am

Linking in with the tango, the calypso sound was also still reasonably big in the early 1960s, especially in Europe, and so The Song of the Shrimp as a single side wasn't all that strange either.

Sat May 04, 2013 12:48 am

I guess the Finns like to tango.

Songs like Mexico and Wooden Heart were also released in Germany as 45s. Wooden Heart is a obvious choice, but I'm not sure how Mexico/You Can't Say No In Acapulco sold in Europe.

Sat May 04, 2013 1:36 am

Wooden Heart went to number 1 in the US... by Joe Dowell. There are those who think Elvis covered Dowell on this, instead of the other way around, because Elvis didn't have the charting hit. Amazing how many people really like this track.

Sat May 04, 2013 1:40 am

stevelecher wrote:Wooden Heart went to number 1 in the US... by Joe Dowell. There are those who think Elvis covered Dowell on this, instead of the other way around, because Elvis didn't have the charting hit. Amazing how many people really like this track.

Yeah, it really was a mistake not to release it as 45 in US. Dowell's version is not that well-known in Europe.

Sat May 04, 2013 1:47 am

Albert Goldman wrote:
stevelecher wrote:Wooden Heart went to number 1 in the US... by Joe Dowell. There are those who think Elvis covered Dowell on this, instead of the other way around, because Elvis didn't have the charting hit. Amazing how many people really like this track.

Yeah, it really was a mistake not to release it as 45 in US. Dowell's version is not that well-known in Europe.

Why would it be? Elvis' far better recording was a hit there.

Sat May 04, 2013 1:53 am

Elvis Presley, fresh out of the army, rockin' puppets with an accordion hummin' away in the background -- golden times for the King of Rock 'n' Roll.

Sat May 04, 2013 5:54 am

How well did Elvis' version of ''The Walls have ears'' do in Germany, Finland and The Netherlands?

Sat May 04, 2013 5:57 am

No worse than Yellow Submarine by those four lads.

Sat May 04, 2013 6:14 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Elvis Presley, fresh out of the army, rockin' puppets with an accordion hummin' away in the background -- golden times for the King of Rock 'n' Roll.

Can't argue with your point Doc. I think it would have been OK if this film was a "one off" and not a proto-type for the next eight years of his career.

Sat May 04, 2013 9:19 am

Funny enough "Wooden heart" was shown on Dutch TV in 1960, 1961. And local radio station Radio Rijnmond used to play it frequently too.

Sat May 04, 2013 9:30 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:No worse than Yellow Submarine by those four lads.

Oh there are big distinctions between the two.

Sat May 04, 2013 10:04 am

Matthew wrote:

Being that if they missed, they learned from it, and did not return to an error in judgment.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Sat May 04, 2013 10:21 am

rjm wrote:
Matthew wrote:

Being that if they missed, they learned from it, and did not return to an error in judgment.

Yellow Submarine was clearly not an error in judgement.

Sat May 04, 2013 10:41 am

brian wrote:How well did Elvis' version of ''The Walls have ears'' do in Germany, Finland and The Netherlands?

Hello Brian,

Elvis' version was a hit in Finland but I do not know it's highest chart position. I'll try to find some additional info.

Sat May 04, 2013 11:11 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

These were different times....rock and roll as we knew it from the the 50's was dead by 1960. It was a smart move to change the direction to, let's say, 'family' music.
Some of his biggest million sellers where recorded in the early sixties. 'Wooden Heart' was one of them. In Europe. Would it be released in the US as an A-side, it would be a number 1 classic, for sure.

Sat May 04, 2013 12:08 pm

Matthew wrote:
rjm wrote:
Matthew wrote:

Not their best, in my view. And they did always try to do their best. That was my point.

Elvis settled. While others kept the pressure on themselves to keep the quality top notch.

And he knew! He said so, later, but expressed helplessness. Or he *felt* helpless, of course.

I much prefer their early films. And Let It Be, the film. But that's personal choice. The point is that they did not settle. There is no perfection in this world, but some strive for it. Continously. That's what I meant.

rjm

Sat May 04, 2013 2:47 pm

rjm wrote:
Matthew wrote:
rjm wrote:
Matthew wrote:

Not their best, in my view. And they did always try to do their best. That was my point.

Elvis settled. While others kept the pressure on themselves to keep the quality top notch.

And he knew! He said so, later, but expressed helplessness. Or he *felt* helpless, of course.

I much prefer their early films. And Let It Be, the film. But that's personal choice. The point is that they did not settle. There is no perfection in this world, but some strive for it. Continously. That's what I meant.

rjm

Yellow Submarine was not their best, but they said at the time, we wanted to write a kids song for Ringo and that's what it was. As a record, it had great production values, innovative sounds, background noises, funny sidelines from John, not exactly a throw away project by any means. It also became a major cartoon motion picture. By contrast, Elvis cut a kids song 1 year later, Confidence. See the difference?

Sat May 04, 2013 7:03 pm

r&b wrote:
rjm wrote:
Matthew wrote:
rjm wrote:
Matthew wrote:

rjm

Yellow Submarine was not their best, but they said at the time, we wanted to write a kids song for Ringo and that's what it was. As a record, it had great production values, innovative sounds, background noises, funny sidelines from John, not exactly a throw away project by any means. It also became a major cartoon motion picture. By contrast, Elvis cut a kids song 1 year later, Confidence. See the difference?

There you go again. You really need a holiday. Of course Elvis cut kids songs long before. In any case and IMO Yellow Submarine is a meaningless song... sugared over (no pun intended) with lots of trippy, err innovative noises. But of course the "it's for the kids" selling point went down a storm. Even if Pauls reasoning is genuine, judging by the ensemble, the recording itself was probably a collaboratative drug fest. "Confidence" on the other hand is a genuine and honest, kids song.

Sat May 04, 2013 7:27 pm

jungleroombear wrote:
r&b wrote:
rjm wrote:
Matthew wrote:
rjm wrote:
Matthew wrote:

rjm

There you go again. You really need a holiday. Of course Elvis cut kids songs long before. In any case and IMO Yellow Submarine is a meaningless song... sugared over (no pun intended) with lots of trippy, err innovative noises. But of course the "it's for the kids" selling point went down a storm. Even if Pauls reasoning is genuine, judging by the ensemble, the recording itself was probably a collaboratative drug fest. "Confidence" on the other hand is a genuine and honest, kids song.

Yes Confidence is a genuine kids song and one of the worst vocals of his career (basically the whole soundtrack was). How anyone can defend this song is beyond me. If you want to believe Yellow Submarine was just a drug fest and not a kids song, I suggest you tell that to all the kids who used to watch Beatles cartoons on Sat mornings which were born out of Yellow Submarine. Unbel stuff I read here.