Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis in Concert NOT on You Tube anymore ?

Mon May 06, 2013 8:59 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ9TMdb6Hpc

Mon May 06, 2013 9:34 am

Energy Catalyzer wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ9TMdb6Hpc

Sí!

Mon May 06, 2013 9:43 am

Uh oh...with the majority of EIC clips off YouTube...what will EIC Lovers use as their number one argument for releasing this special? They can't use the "It's all over YouTube---everyone has seen it!" argument anymore.

That means we'll see more "It's part of Elvis' story..we mustn't ignore this part of his life" arguments on the rise.. :roll:

Mon May 06, 2013 10:21 am

I like that version of "I Reallyt Don't Want To Know":

Mon May 06, 2013 11:32 am

I'm gonna miss the "Drunk Elvis" video.... :roll:

Mon May 06, 2013 12:17 pm

Mister Mike wrote:I'm gonna miss the "Drunk Elvis" video.... :roll:

It's still on YouTube, I'm sorry to say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUHaI3C39RU

Strange how a video from Elvis In Concert with over 300,000 views has not been taken down.
Last edited by JRtherealJR on Mon May 06, 2013 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 06, 2013 12:47 pm

JRtherealJR wrote:
Mister Mike wrote:I'm gonna miss the "Drunk Elvis" video.... :roll:

It's still on YouTube, I'm sorry to say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUHaI3C39RU

YES!

Mon May 06, 2013 2:12 pm

Lohmax wrote:
I don't believe that EPE will ever allow these shows to be published, at least not any parts that could destroy his image.
I don't see why not they are already trying to do the best they can by selling all the **** they do.

Mon May 06, 2013 7:55 pm

JimmyCool wrote:I like that version of "I Really Don't Want To Know":

It's one of the vocal highlights of the otherwise-regrettable 1977 special, sung with real feeling.

I wish Elvis had done the bridge, though.

Wed May 08, 2013 9:20 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ian wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote:I hope that they will burn the CBS footage. We have seen enough.

Amazing, you think that it was so horrible that they should burn it, and for me it was as exciting an event that I've ever experienced!!!!!

True. Elvis doesn't get any better than what CBS captured on tape in June 1977.

I don't know what to say about you people that have such negative things to say about Elvis in this special, as I was absolutely overwhelmed with excitement seeing him and experiencing that special magic that only Elvis could ever provide!!!!! 8)
Last edited by ian on Wed May 08, 2013 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 08, 2013 9:29 pm

When this special aired on October 3, 1977, my eyes were glued to the screen. I was both fascinated at seeing Elvis in the special and sad because I had just seen him in concert five months earlier. He looked so much better on stage right in front of you than he did in that special.

I still watch the Omaha and Rapid City footage on rare occasions and can still find joy in it -- but it's few and far between.

Thu May 09, 2013 1:09 am

Rob wrote:When this special aired on October 3, 1977, my eyes were glued to the screen. I was both fascinated at seeing Elvis in the special and sad because I had just seen him in concert five months earlier. He looked so much better on stage right in front of you than he did in that special.

I still watch the Omaha and Rapid City footage on rare occasions and can still find joy in it -- but it's few and far between.

You should get ian over for a "Elvis in Concert" evening.

Thu May 09, 2013 1:52 am

ian wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
ian wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote:I hope that they will burn the CBS footage. We have seen enough.

Amazing, you think that it was so horrible that they should burn it, and for me it was as exciting an event that I've ever experienced!!!!!

I don't know what to say about you people that have such negative things to say about Elvis in this special, as I was absolutely overwhelmed with excitement seeing him and experiencing that special magic that only Elvis could ever provide!!!!! 8)

I take it you think Old McDonald was a stellar performance too.

Thu May 09, 2013 4:53 am

Hearing "Old McDonald" was one the most overwhelming, exciting moments of Ian's life.

Thu May 09, 2013 6:04 am

midnightx wrote:Hearing "Old McDonald" was one the most overwhelming, exciting moments of Ian's life.

Whatever makes Ian happy is fine by me.

Thu May 09, 2013 12:48 pm

midnightx wrote:Hearing "Old McDonald" was one the most overwhelming, exciting moments of Ian's life.
SuspiciousMind wrote:
ian wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
ian wrote:

I can't change my experience of seeing Elvis in this special!!!!! Because you negative expert fans think he was so horrible and a joke, I'm supposed to agree with you to make myself a part of the crowd? He was Elvis Presley, and I felt the incredible excitement that he brought out of people, and what a feeling to have and experience!!!!! You are comparing Old McDonalds farm to Elvis in Concert? Within the movie it's just fine, and MIDNITETICKS, how do you know that it was one of the most exciting moments of my life?! For you hardcore smart alecs, you have to remember that Elvis was very rarely seen on television and his legend, if you understood it, was just so immense and mysterious, and he was just so unique and separated from any other star, that having the legend actually appearing on television in a brand new concert was an incredibly exciting event and I feel so fortunate to have had that feeling of seeing Elvis "live"!!!!! I loved his natural charisma, smile and just everything that made him Elvis, and his wonderful soul came shining through loud and clear!!!!! 8)

Fri May 10, 2013 3:58 am

ian wrote:
ritchie valens wrote:They should have not used Are you lonesome tonight and used a song where he didn't forget the words in place of it.
Ithink the makeup made him look a lot worse than he was look at footage before the makeup was put on.

Wrong, it actually shows his human side, sense of humor and beautiful voice! 8)

ian wrote:
rjm wrote:Do we really want to add more fuel to THIS sort of thing?

http://www.elitecastingnetwork.com/auditions/FAT_ELVIS_NEEDED_FOR_COMMERCIAL

Bad enough that it goes on, and on . . .

rjm

What sort of thing? People having the right to freedom of speech, and honestly relating what they felt about an event or experience in their life, without being ridiculed by people who don't agree with you?? 8)

ian wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
ian wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
ian wrote:

I can't change my experience of seeing Elvis in this special!!!!! Because you negative expert fans think he was so horrible and a joke, I'm supposed to agree with you to make myself a part of the crowd? He was Elvis Presley, and I felt the incredible excitement that he brought out of people, and what a feeling to have and experience!!!!! You are comparing Old McDonalds farm to Elvis in Concert? Within the movie it's just fine, and MIDNITETICKS, how do you know that it was one of the most exciting moments of my life?! For you hardcore smart alecs, you have to remember that Elvis was very rarely seen on television and his legend, if you understood it, was just so immense and mysterious, and he was just so unique and separated from any other star, that having the legend actually appearing on television in a brand new concert was an incredibly exciting event and I feel so fortunate to have had that feeling of seeing Elvis "live"!!!!! I loved his natural charisma, smile and just everything that made him Elvis, and his wonderful soul came shining through loud and clear!!!!! 8)

Bloody well-said in all these posts, Ian!!

I give you a bonus point for "MIDNITETICKS" -- LOL!

I only saw EIC for the first time years after it aired (in the so-called "noughties" (i.e., 2000-2009)) when I fully became an EP fan, but I share your opinion/assessment of Elvis and the special.

I think, in many ways, he's actually a great deal more charismatic -- or more warm and open -- in EIC than, say, "Aloha", to be honest. He seems more vulnerable, child-like, and down-to-Earth in EIC, which makes the special a great deal more appealing in some ways. Gone is the slightly aloof, stuffy, prancing demigod, and in that gleaming avatar's place is a more disarming, energetic (if troubled), endearing legend: a shy, humble, earnest, world-weary human being... some poignant mixture of sad and triumphant.... blazing a fresh trail through his own legacy, and making you feel his presence in a new (and touching) way. That's the magic of Elvis, alright.

Against Elvis (as in Mozart, Einstein, Shakespeare, Picasso, et al.), there is no comparison, but a crude analogy for EIC might be, for example, Mickey Rourke in "The Wrestler". Like EIC, "The Wrestler" puts its aging star front-and-centre, with the entire film, in fact, literally framed from his perspective (Rourke is in every scene). MR's soulful eyes and bloated, distorted face tell their own story of drugs and disillusionment -- an early, promising start, dominated by magnetic talent, yielding to subsequent lows and wrong-turns, only for Rourke to bounce back in "The Wrestler", incorporating his own life-story in that of his character's, essentially becoming the emotional fulcrum -- the aesthetic monad -- of the entire movie. Rourke's frayed visage, IMO, is as entrancing as Elvis' in EIC, or vice versa, and it's that sense of a life lived, with its highs and lows, shining through -- a palpable vulnerability unironically offered as transcendent spectacle -- that gives both projects a formidable, elusive quality.

In some ways, both EIC and "The Wrestler", are quite radical works of art, IMO, taking generally "low" or "vulgar" culture to new heights, and standing as potent deconstructions (and reconstructions) of conventionally-understood (but critically under-examined) masculinity, through the shared lens of a performer of damaged/worn physical beauty undergoing a kind of trial to please their captive audience, and because it's the only thing they're confident they can do and be loved in so doing. There's a lot being expressed -- or that can be felt -- about the human condition in both, IMO. Tragedy, yes. Insularity and dubious excess, yes. But also a kind of courage, confidence, triumphalism, and a willingness to die trying: a sort of final proof of an artist's solipsistic nature; their brutal single-mindedness and ultimate dedication to a particular spoke on the ever-turning wheel of life.

Fri May 10, 2013 5:42 am

ian wrote:I can't change my experience of seeing Elvis in this special!!!!! Because you negative expert fans think he was so horrible and a joke, I'm supposed to agree with you to make myself a part of the crowd? He was Elvis Presley, and I felt the incredible excitement that he brought out of people, and what a feeling to have and experience!!!!! You are comparing Old McDonalds farm to Elvis in Concert? Within the movie it's just fine, and MIDNITETICKS, how do you know that it was one of the most exciting moments of my life?! For you hardcore smart alecs, you have to remember that Elvis was very rarely seen on television and his legend, if you understood it, was just so immense and mysterious, and he was just so unique and separated from any other star, that having the legend actually appearing on television in a brand new concert was an incredibly exciting event and I feel so fortunate to have had that feeling of seeing Elvis "live"!!!!! I loved his natural charisma, smile and just everything that made him Elvis, and his wonderful soul came shining through loud and clear!!!!! 8)

When you were watching, were you at all aware that Elvis had died one and a half months earlier?

Fri May 10, 2013 10:15 am

Cryogenic wrote:
ian wrote:
ritchie valens wrote:They should have not used Are you lonesome tonight and used a song where he didn't forget the words in place of it.
Ithink the makeup made him look a lot worse than he was look at footage before the makeup was put on.

Wrong, it actually shows his human side, sense of humor and beautiful voice! 8)

ian wrote:
rjm wrote:Do we really want to add more fuel to THIS sort of thing?

http://www.elitecastingnetwork.com/auditions/FAT_ELVIS_NEEDED_FOR_COMMERCIAL

Bad enough that it goes on, and on . . .

rjm

What sort of thing? People having the right to freedom of speech, and honestly relating what they felt about an event or experience in their life, without being ridiculed by people who don't agree with you?? 8)

ian wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
ian wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
ian wrote:

Bloody well-said in all these posts, Ian!!

I give you a bonus point for "MIDNITETICKS" -- LOL!

I only saw EIC for the first time years after it aired (in the so-called "noughties" (i.e., 2000-2009)) when I fully became an EP fan, but I share your opinion/assessment of Elvis and the special.

I think, in many ways, he's actually a great deal more charismatic -- or more warm and open -- in EIC than, say, "Aloha", to be honest. He seems more vulnerable, child-like, and down-to-Earth in EIC, which makes the special a great deal more appealing in some ways. Gone is the slightly aloof, stuffy, prancing demigod, and in that gleaming avatar's place is a more disarming, energetic (if troubled), endearing legend: a shy, humble, earnest, world-weary human being... some poignant mixture of sad and triumphant.... blazing a fresh trail through his own legacy, and making you feel his presence in a new (and touching) way. That's the magic of Elvis, alright.

Against Elvis (as in Mozart, Einstein, Shakespeare, Picasso, et al.), there is no comparison, but a crude analogy for EIC might be, for example, Mickey Rourke in "The Wrestler". Like EIC, "The Wrestler" puts its aging star front-and-centre, with the entire film, in fact, literally framed from his perspective (Rourke is in every scene). MR's soulful eyes and bloated, distorted face tell their own story of drugs and disillusionment -- an early, promising start, dominated by magnetic talent, yielding to subsequent lows and wrong-turns, only for Rourke to bounce back in "The Wrestler", incorporating his own life-story in that of his character's, essentially becoming the emotional fulcrum -- the aesthetic monad -- of the entire movie. Rourke's frayed visage, IMO, is as entrancing as Elvis' in EIC, or vice versa, and it's that sense of a life lived, with its highs and lows, shining through -- a palpable vulnerability unironically offered as transcendent spectacle -- that gives both projects a formidable, elusive quality.

In some ways, both EIC and "The Wrestler", are quite radical works of art, IMO, taking generally "low" or "vulgar" culture to new heights, and standing as potent deconstructions (and reconstructions) of conventionally-understood (but critically under-examined) masculinity, through the shared lens of a performer of damaged/worn physical beauty undergoing a kind of trial to please their captive audience, and because it's the only thing they're confident they can do and be loved in so doing. There's a lot being expressed -- or that can be felt -- about the human condition in both, IMO. Tragedy, yes. Insularity and dubious excess, yes. But also a kind of courage, confidence, triumphalism, and a willingness to die trying: a sort of final proof of an artist's solipsistic nature; their brutal single-mindedness and ultimate dedication to a particular spoke on the ever-turning wheel of life.

Thank's a lot for the great post Cryogenic, I really appreciate it!!!!! 8)