Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Is there a December 5, 1956 Memphis Press Scimitar scan?

Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:06 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Only George Pierce would have the original prints for the photo session then.

Pierce and his wife have passed away, so his materials are either in the hands of his family, or the Commercial Appeal, who apparently absorbed the Press-Scimitar archives, or maybe both.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:27 pm

The other day, I posted scans of the original MDQ OMD-001 album from 1980. My scanner is A4, so it doesn't hold a 12" sleeve, so I scanned just the relevant parts, which included the photo with Marilyn Evans.

I must have read those liner notes hundreds of times, but I didn't remember that, 33 years ago, they already mentioned George Pierce as the photographer.

Here's the relevant part of the back cover of OMD-001, with the mention of Pierce.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:42 pm

Mister Moon wrote:The other day, I posted scans of the original MDQ OMD-001 album from 1980. My scanner is A4, so it doesn't hold a 12" sleeve, so I scanned just the relevant parts, which included the photo with Marilyn Evans.

I must have read those liner notes hundreds of times, but I didn't remember that, 33 years ago, they already mentioned George Pierce as the photographer.

Here's the relevant part of the back cover of OMD-001, with the mention of Pierce.

Nice spot! His name may be derived from the fan magazine that they got the photo from.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:50 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:Remember the interview Trevor Cajiao did with Jim Reid in EMM a few years ago? In it, he asked Reid what he could remember about that day in December and Reid said he couldn't remember anything. So perhaps, he wasn't there that day. Trevor says on the EMM facebook page, "it's a moot point. He's never been able to come up with fresh prints..." And yet, he told Trevor he did take the MDQ photo's.

There are events I have been to, like Elvis Conventions in the 1960's and 1970's and when I read reviews about these in old magazines I still do not remember which artists appeared where and when or what movies were shown, despite the fact I was there.
That is why I always am surprised that the people employed by Elvis seem to remember every little detail.

Yes, i agree. Just because a person can't remember, doesn't mean he wasn't there. Everybody's different, some people have sharper and accurate memories, as where others don't. Jim Reid is a typical old boy who worked for a newspaper. Sent out on various assignments with his inevitable camera. For someone like Reid to be in the same room with four very famous artists (well, lewis hadn't made his mark yet, at that point) wouldn't have meant a thing to Reid, it was just ANOTHER assignment.

But as Trevor Cajiao says, "he's never been able to come up with any prints" but, IF Jim wasn't the photographer, then what role did he play in it? The way i've read it is that Robert Johnson wrote the story and Jim Reid took the photo's. But now, with this revelation of a certain George Pierce as now contradicted that fact. So this George Pierce gentleman deserves a closer look.

What does amaze me!! how come this hasn't been picked up before?

Only George Pierce would have the original prints for the photo session then.

Not necessarily. When a photographer takes photos by order, in this case a newspaper, in general photos and most probably also the negatives, will be owned by the newspaper.
In those days nobody expected the rock and roll craze to last long.
In those days one or some photos would be used no matter how many were photos werre taken.

As a sidenote, recently a giant containership entered Rotterdam harbour. It was covered by radio and TV plus many photographers, both hobby and professional people.
One of those professional photographers was interviewed live on radio and the radiostation asked if they would get a photo for their website.
The photographer said he was taking the photos by order of the shipping company and all would be handed to that company.
But the ship would likely be in the harbour for another day so he would go and take photos for himself and the radiostation could get one of those for their website.

I know, perhaps some photographers in 1956 kept the negatives or a copy of the photos, while others did not care to keep a negative or photo.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:52 am

Mister Moon wrote:The other day, I posted scans of the original MDQ OMD-001 album from 1980. My scanner is A4, so it doesn't hold a 12" sleeve, so I scanned just the relevant parts, which included the photo with Marilyn Evans.

Interesting to note the session was already going for some time before a photographer was called in.
Perhaps the supposedly "missing tape" (or 2 tapes) just has sounds of the artists posing for the photos and chatting with the photographer and eachother.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:22 pm

Almost three years ago, EPM posted here a copy of one of the photos, taken from Encyclopedia Britannica, and the quality is stunning.

I'm not talking here cropped, uncropped... Just zoom the photo in and you will be able to read something that's behind the boys. Just below Carl Perkins' guitar, there's lettering, probably from a box of records :

"THIS BOX .... PHONOGRAPH ..... FRAGILE".

Here's the link to the original thread :

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=56033&p=815364#p815364

The people at Encyclopedia Britannica most probably got this pic from the original negatives, hence this high quality. Interestingly, as EPM originally noted in his / her initial post, the photo is credited to Michael Ochs Archives / Getty Images.

Here's the link to Britannica, so you can see the credit :

http://global.britannica.com/media/full/19052

And here's the link to Getty :

http://www.gettyimages.es/Search/Search ... ar+quartet

As you can see, they have five images available showing the MDQ, but three of them are the same one, in different stages of cropping / uncropping. What's interesting is that they all are available in high resolution, even higher than the one used in Britannica.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:26 pm

Mister Moon wrote:Almost three years ago, EPM posted here a copy of one of the photos, taken from Encyclopedia Britannica, and the quality is stunning.

I'm not talking here cropped, uncropped... Just zoom the photo in and you will be able to read something that's behind the boys. Just below Carl Perkins' guitar, there's lettering, probably from a box of records :

"THIS BOX .... PHONOGRAPH ..... FRAGILE".

I agree the print is nice, but it's cropped.

Notice nowhere on the Getty site do you see Memphis Press-Scimitar or George Pierce.

Notice also the colourized version is pulled from the 1980 bootleg LP art (!) -- done by Ger Rijff.

The record box probably reads:

THIS SIDE UP
PHONOGRAPH RECORDS
FRAGILE

23146-050-1638E499.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.