Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Is there a December 5, 1956 Memphis Press Scimitar scan?

Thu May 02, 2013 11:07 am

I am looking for the article in the Memphis Press Scimitar about the Million Dollar Quartet, which was published December 5, 1956.
Does anyone know where to find this scan?

Re: Is there a December 5, 1956 Memphis Press Scimitar scan?

Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:49 pm

Well, here it is !!!

This is taken from the inner sleeve of the bootleg Million Dollar Quartet 2-LP that was released in the late 80s.

As you can see, below the clipping there's the writing of Sam Phillips. This was originally done by him for his friend dj's at different radio stations. It reads like this :

"Our only regret !

That each and everyone of you wonderful dj’s who are responsible for these boys being among the best known and liked in show business could not be here too !

We thought however that you might like to read first hand about our little shindig – it was a dilly !

Sincerely grateful,

Sam Phillips"

Also, it's extremely interesting to see that the "Million Dollar Quartet" name was already in place captioning the photo of the session. This was probably done by Robert Johnson himself, the author of the article.

Enjoy !!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mister Moon on Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:29 pm

Thanks 4 million times!
I am really happy to add this article to my collection.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:00 pm

Mister Moon wrote:Well, here it is !!!

This is taken from the inner sleeve of the bootleg Million Dollar Quartet 2-LP that was released in the late 80s.

As you can see, below the clipping there's the writing of Sam Phillips. This was originally done by him for his friend dj's at different radio stations. It reads like this :

"Our only regret !

That each and everyone of you wonderful dj’s who are responsible for these boys being among the best known and liked in show business could not be here too !

We thought however that you might like to read first hand about our little shindig – it was a dilly !

Sincerely grateful,

Sam Phillips"

Also, it's extremely interesting to see that the "Million Dollar Quartet" name was already in place captioning the photo of the session. This was probably done by Robert Johnson himself, the author of the article.

Enjoy !!!

890000_One Million Dollar Quartet_liner.JPG

The famous sobriquet was definitely coined by the Memphis Press-Scimitar's Robert Johnson.

Note I am pretty sure that the legendary 1989 double-LP bootleg liner uses a copy of the Sam Phillips press release, sent a few days later.

It combines three items:

- Memphis Press-Scimitar second-page photo and caption
- relevant portion of Robert Johnson's "People and Places" column inside that edition
- Sam Phillips' note to the DJs on the Sun distribution list (ink colorized)

Perhaps bripet56 can add more to this.

Below is a mostly-uncropped version of the image seen in the paper back then. They cut out Elvis' Las Vegas-by-way-of-Fresno girlfriend, Marilyn Evans.

561204_w Lewis_Cash_Perkins_Evans_Sun Studios.JPG
Elvis with Jerry Lee, Carl, Johnny and Marilyn - Sun Studios, Tuesday, December 4, 1956

-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:32 pm

The original MDQ, 1-LP, bootleg (OMD-001), from the late 70s / early 80s, featured the uncropped photo both in the front and in the back of the sleeve - and colorised, too !

For many years, this (cropped or uncropped) was THE image of the MDQ. In more recent times, they are using an alternate shot in which they are closer to each other.

I've seen the many threads here about the photos taken that day. I also hope that someday we will be treated to a large book containing all the uncropped images from that historical day.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:59 pm

Mister Moon wrote:The original MDQ, 1-LP, bootleg (OMD-001), from the late 70s / early 80s, featured the uncropped photo both in the front and in the back of the sleeve - and colorised, too !

For many years, this (cropped or uncropped) was THE image of the MDQ. In more recent times, they are using an alternate shot in which they are closer to each other.

I've seen the many threads here about the photos taken that day. I also hope that someday we will be treated to a large book containing all the uncropped images from that historical day.

It's pretty obvious, by comparing my upload, that it is not an uncropped image used for that 1980 bootleg's cover art.

The image, as published in the Memphis-Press Scimitar on Wednesday, December 5, 1956, sans Marilyn Evans, is the most-used depiction of this jam session.

Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:22 am

As I said, maybe someday we will have all the images uncropped from the original negatives, in a nice book.

Until then, we will spend the time measuring all of these cropped / uncropped / mostly-uncropped, etc. reproductions.

In the context of my previous post, "uncropped" meant "including Marilyn Evans".

Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:05 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Note I am pretty sure that the legendary 1989 double-LP bootleg liner uses a copy of the Sam Phillips press release, sent a few days later.

It combines three items:

- Memphis Press-Scimitar front-page photo and caption
- relevant portion of Robert Johnson's "People and Places" column inside that edition
- Sam Phillips' note to the DJs on the Sun distribution list (ink colorized)

Perhaps bripet56 can add more to this.

Below is a mostly-uncropped version of the image seen in the paper back then. They cut out Elvis' Las Vegas-by-way-of-Fresno girlfriend, Marilyn Evans.

561204_w Lewis_Cash_Perkins_Evans_Sun Studios.JPG
Elvis with Jerry Lee, Carl, Johnny and Marilyn - Sun Studios, Tuesday, December 4, 1956

-

I can't comment about the album or the press release but that is as you say from two parts of the paper with the girl cropped out. I don't remember if it was the front page, but I don't think it was. Bob's write up was in with the rest of his column on page 37. I was just looking at it over a week ago in Memphis

Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:40 am

JamesVRoy wrote:I can't comment about the album or the press release but that is as you say from two parts of the paper with the girl cropped out. I don't remember if it was the front page, but I don't think it was. Bob's write up was in with the rest of his column on page 37. I was just looking at it over a week ago in Memphis

561205_Memphis Press-Scimitar.JPG

Thanks for the update.

That's not the front page but, given the national reports surrounding the photo, it's probably page 2. Elvis would get local, front-page love in the future, though.

Note that Phillips' PR sheet not only cuts out Marilyn from the photo but also from the captioning. Poor Ms. Evans!

Your original scan also identifies the newspaper photographer, George Pierce.

I always thought it was Jim Reid who was present and took the many great images we know and love. Do you know anything more about this?

Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:32 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:I can't comment about the album or the press release but that is as you say from two parts of the paper with the girl cropped out. I don't remember if it was the front page, but I don't think it was. Bob's write up was in with the rest of his column on page 37. I was just looking at it over a week ago in Memphis

561205_Memphis Press-Scimitar.JPG

Thanks for the update.

That's not the front page but, given the national reports surrounding the photo, it's probably page 2. Elvis would get local, front-page love in the future, though.

Note that Phillips' PR sheet not only cuts out Marilyn from the photo but also from the captioning. Poor Ms. Evans!

I always thought it was Jim Reid who was present and took the many great images we know and love. Do you know anything more about this?

If I paid closer attention when I put it up I would've noticed that it is page 2. You can see the front page banner bleeding through it in reverse. I had over a dozen rolls I was going through at the time and didn't pay too close attention to the pages.
I don't know much more about the photographer but looked into it awhile ago thinking I might do a page on it someday. Don't know when though. Less than 10 days later they did this one http://scottymoore.net/articles121556.html

Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:18 am

JamesVRoy wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Thanks for the update.

If I paid closer attention when I put it up I would've noticed that it is page 2. You can see the front page banner bleeding through it in reverse. I had over a dozen rolls I was going through at the time and didn't pay too close attention to the pages.
I don't know much more about the photographer but looked into it awhile ago thinking I might do a page on it someday. Don't know when though. Less than 10 days later they did this one http://scottymoore.net/articles121556.html

It appears that the late George Pierce, Sr. had a long career, and is remembered as someone "who pioneered color photography at the Memphis Press-Scimitar."

http://content.knowledgeplex.org/kp2/cache/news/2516/251656.nitf

So, the wonderful images taken at the Sun jam session that December 4th are by George Pierce, not Jim Reid.

Pierce evidently got some national play for his photography as well, via the United Press Syndicate:

580112_Sunday (New Haven) Herald p NH09.jpg
Sunday Herald, Sunday, January 12, 1958
Photo: George Pierce, Sr. - Memphis Press-Scimitar
This New Haven, CT paper includes a caption that could only have been presented in the 1950s.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:30 am

Great information, James & Doc. Thanks.

Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:24 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote: Your original scan also identifies the newspaper photographer, George Pierce.

This is from the may 1957 magazine 16

George Pierce is credited, I think to these pictures.

Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:05 pm

stranger wrote:This is from the may 1957 magazine 16

do you have that whole issue?

Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:02 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:

yes

Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:14 am

stranger wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:

yes

Any chance of getting a scan of a few pages? I have most of it online but missing a couple of pages, like page 6.
see http://scottymoore.net/16MagazineVol1No1.html

Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:23 am

James, since we're on the subject of scan requests, is there any chance you can upload a larger version of the 12-5-1956 Memphis Press-Scimitar article? Your upload is only 595 x 443 pixels, and pretty hard to read. Of all your newspaper archives, that's one I would love to print out, and hang on my wall.

Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:51 am

Remember the interview Trevor Cajiao did with Jim Reid in EMM a few years ago? In it, he asked Reid what he could remember about that day in December and Reid said he couldn't remember anything. So perhaps, he wasn't there that day. Trevor says on the EMM facebook page, "it's a moot point. He's never been able to come up with fresh prints..." And yet, he told Trevor he did take the MDQ photo's.

Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:18 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Remember the interview Trevor Cajiao did with Jim Reid in EMM a few years ago? In it, he asked Reid what he could remember about that day in December and Reid said he couldn't remember anything. So perhaps, he wasn't there that day. Trevor says on the EMM facebook page, "it's a moot point. He's never been able to come up with fresh prints..." And yet, he told Trevor he did take the MDQ photo's.

There are events I have been to, like Elvis Conventions in the 1960's and 1970's and when I read reviews about these in old magazines I still do not remember which artists appeared where and when or what movies were shown, despite the fact I was there.
That is why I always am surprised that the people employed by Elvis seem to remember every little detail.

Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:53 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:Remember the interview Trevor Cajiao did with Jim Reid in EMM a few years ago? In it, he asked Reid what he could remember about that day in December and Reid said he couldn't remember anything. So perhaps, he wasn't there that day. Trevor says on the EMM facebook page, "it's a moot point. He's never been able to come up with fresh prints..." And yet, he told Trevor he did take the MDQ photo's.

There are events I have been to, like Elvis Conventions in the 1960's and 1970's and when I read reviews about these in old magazines I still do not remember which artists appeared where and when or what movies were shown, despite the fact I was there.
That is why I always am surprised that the people employed by Elvis seem to remember every little detail.

Yes, i agree. Just because a person can't remember, doesn't mean he wasn't there. Everybody's different, some people have sharper and accurate memories, as where others don't. Jim Reid is a typical old boy who worked for a newspaper. Sent out on various assignments with his inevitable camera. For someone like Reid to be in the same room with four very famous artists (well, lewis hadn't made his mark yet, at that point) wouldn't have meant a thing to Reid, it was just ANOTHER assignment.

But as Trevor Cajiao says, "he's never been able to come up with any prints" but, IF Jim wasn't the photographer, then what role did he play in it? The way i've read it is that Robert Johnson wrote the story and Jim Reid took the photo's. But now, with this revelation of a certain George Pierce as now contradicted that fact. So this George Pierce gentleman deserves a closer look.

What does amaze me!! how come this hasn't been picked up before?
Last edited by mysterytrainrideson on Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:44 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:James, since we're on the subject of scan requests, is there any chance you can upload a larger version of the 12-5-1956 Memphis Press-Scimitar article? Your upload is only 595 x 443 pixels, and pretty hard to read. Of all your newspaper archives, that's one I would love to print out, and hang on my wall.

you might want to crop and tweak it a little

Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:12 pm

Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:17 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:James, since we're on the subject of scan requests, is there any chance you can upload a larger version of the 12-5-1956 Memphis Press-Scimitar article? Your upload is only 595 x 443 pixels, and pretty hard to read. Of all your newspaper archives, that's one I would love to print out, and hang on my wall.

IMG_9042.JPG

Thanks very much. Such an innocuous little piece for such a famous moment in rock 'n' roll history.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:00 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:

IMG_9042.JPG

Thanks very much. Such an innocuous little piece for such a famous moment in rock 'n' roll history.

You might try having a Staples or something print it in color on paper rather than having a print made. It might yield a nice effect/
I'm still planning a page on it, will post the rest of it after it goes up (whenever that is).

Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:02 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:

Yes, i agree. Just because a person can't remember, doesn't mean he wasn't there. Everybody's different, some people have sharper and accurate memories, as where others don't. Jim Reid is a typical old boy who worked for a newspaper. Sent out on various assignments with his inevitable camera. For someone like Reid to be in the same room with four very famous artists (well, lewis hadn't made his mark yet, at that point) wouldn't have meant a thing to Reid, it was just ANOTHER assignment.

But as Trevor Cajiao says, "he's never been able to come up with any prints" but, IF Jim wasn't the photographer, then what role did he play in it? The way i've read it is that Robert Johnson wrote the story and Jim Reid took the photo's. But now, with this revelation of a certain George Pierce as now contradicted that fact. So this George Pierce gentleman deserves a closer look.

What does amaze me!! how come this hasn't been picked up before?

Only George Pierce would have the original prints for the photo session then.