Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: VENUS - Keeping Them Warm

Wed May 08, 2013 5:30 pm

Something your good at Doc. :wink:

Wed May 08, 2013 8:33 pm

This is - as far as it goes for audiencerecordings- an outstanding sounding recording.
It's milestones better then what we had before, way better!!
It's "being there".
And since it's my favorite concertyear and the show is excellent, it's a must have.

I don't care if this is a "Venus", known for studio-alternates release, it's still high quality.
From disc to artwork, trhe whole package is excellent.

Those who stay away from AR's are missing out, it's THAT good.

I wonder, if this show in this quality would be released by another qualitylabel (like Straight Arrow), i think there would be more raving reviews...

Wed May 08, 2013 8:43 pm

I can echo what JohanD said. I've literally just finished listening to the disc. I'm in no way a big fan of AR's, the only ones I own are the recent Southern Gypsy, plus New Years Eve '76 (FTD) and 26th June '77 (TFC), but for sound quality this is better than some soundboards. It's also a good tight show, no surprises in the set but a worthy purchase.

Wed May 08, 2013 8:46 pm

E-1 wrote:Something your good at Doc. :wink:

Thank you.

Yes, I always try to help clear member confusion and anger on this forum. But the person with the issues has to take the first step.

Here's hopin'!

::rocks

Wed May 08, 2013 9:35 pm

JohanD wrote:This is - as far as it goes for audiencerecordings- an outstanding sounding recording.
It's "being there".

"Keeping Them Warm" is a very good sounding audience recording, but I don't think it's as good as you're describing it. We've had better before, even quite recently with "Aloha, Jerry!"

Here's a little A-B comparison.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/7dhan1

A - "Keeping Them Warm"
B - "Aloha, Jerry!"

PS. I got the Venus one mostly for the book, not the CD.

Wed May 08, 2013 9:55 pm

Fools rush in.... glad this time I held back TCB Jamie

Wed May 08, 2013 10:12 pm

hm80ep wrote:
JohanD wrote:This is - as far as it goes for audiencerecordings- an outstanding sounding recording.
It's "being there".

"Keeping Them Warm" is a very good sounding audience recording, but I don't think it's as good as you're describing it. We've had better before, even quite recently with "Aloha, Jerry!"

A - "Keeping Them Warm"
B - "Aloha, Jerry!"

very interesting because the maker of 'aloha Jerry' told me 'keeping them warm ' was pretty much same good quality! :lol:

Wed May 08, 2013 11:07 pm

hm80ep wrote:
It's "being there".

A - "Keeping Them Warm"
B - "Aloha, Jerry!"

I did not say it was the best sounding AR ever, but milestones better then what we had before: meaning this show.

"Aloha Jerry", being a different show, is very good also,on that you are right, it even sounds a tad better yes...

But as reply on this topic; this VENUS show is excellent sounding to me.

Wed May 08, 2013 11:45 pm

Great quality live tapes, coupled with a focused, engaged Elvis Presley and the husky Welsh singer Tom Jones cheering him on, do not grow on trees.

This one sounds like a worthy pickup.

Thu May 09, 2013 8:50 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Great quality live tapes, coupled with a focused, engaged Elvis Presley and the husky Welsh singer Tom Jones cheering him on, do not grow on trees.

i now agree Doc..... but i don't want to pay the 'extra' for a book i don't want or need! :|

Thu May 09, 2013 9:10 am

YDKM wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Great quality live tapes, coupled with a focused, engaged Elvis Presley and the husky Welsh singer Tom Jones cheering him on, do not grow on trees.

i now agree Doc..... but i don't want to pay the 'extra' for a book i don't want or need! :|

Not even if it has photos of husky Welsh singer Tom Jones cheering him on?

Fri May 10, 2013 1:48 am

rjm wrote:He fixed it. Joke over.

And that's all it was RJM.A light hearted ribbing that i'm sure the doc had a laugh at himself about.

norrie

Fri May 10, 2013 2:18 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
YDKM wrote:

Not even if it has photos of husky Welsh singer Tom Jones cheering him on?

But it doesn't.There are a couple with husky American singer Charlie Hodge cheering him on though.

I've just gave it a spin and I am impressed with the sound.For an audience recording it's all pretty clear.It's a darn good show as well.Elvis is on the ball and straight down to business but there is humour in his performances also that the audience clearly appreciate.It would have been a great show to have been at,I'm sure Tom Jones had a blast.it's also great to hear the band intros being done in just over a minute and then introducing Tom.I now know why the title is "Keeing Them Warm"!

The book is basically a picture book with very little text unlike some of the other Venus releases and it's the first 77 pages that deal with the Aug/Sep season.The rest is bonus pics from Feb 72 Vegas and various On Tour shows.Not too sure that was needed but it's there.

Great show,good sound,nice book but I'm not sure I will continue to pay 36 euros for future "ambient" recordings,I think we would be better served with a standard CD package with a booklet at a much cheaper price but I'm glad I got this and it will certainly get some more spins.

norrie

Fri May 10, 2013 2:29 am

norrie wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Not even if it has photos of husky Welsh singer Tom Jones cheering him on?

But it doesn't.There are a couple with husky American singer Charlie Hodge cheering him on though.

I've just gave it a spin and I am impressed with the sound.For an audience recording it's all pretty clear.It's a darn good show as well.Elvis is on the ball and straight down to business but there is humour in his performances also that the audience clearly appreciate.It would have been a great show to have been at,I'm sure Tom Jones had a blast.it's also great to hear the band intros being done in just over a minute and then introducing Tom.I now know why the title is "Keeing Them Warm"!

The book is basically a picture book with very little text unlike some of the other Venus releases and it's the first 77 pages that deal with the Aug/Sep season.The rest is bonus pics from Feb 72 Vegas and various On Tour shows.Not too sure that was needed but it's there.

Great show,good sound,nice book but I'm not sure I will continue to pay 36 euros for future "ambient" recordings,I think we would be better served with a standard CD package with a booklet at a much cheaper price but I'm glad I got this and it will certainly get some more spins.

Excellent review, norrie.

Save the lack of husky Tom Jones photos, this looks to be a good \one for the serious collector.

Fri May 10, 2013 3:01 am

Thanks Doc.Audience recordings are not everyones cup of tea but this one is very listenable.Any fan that appreciates good shows in very listenable sound will like this one.

norrie

Fri May 10, 2013 6:26 am

Dearest John, there was never any anger, hostility or any other form of emotional release in my post. I only stated fact. Your post was clear, concise and left no ambiguity as to what you thought this person should do when he finds a release he doesn't like, yet you seem to think this should be a "do as I say, not as I do" situation...not the marks of a true leader by any means, don't you agree?
Holding others to standards that you are not willing to hold yourself is just a little hypocritical. Take your own advice and keep your yap shut when labels that you don't like put out releases because you aren't buying it anyway and therefore it doesn't concern you. Pretty much what you told the other person. Either stand by your advice, or eat your words. If past behavior predicts future behavior then I stand on pretty firm ground knowing that you will remain a hypocrite trying to wiggle your way out from under what you said while at the same time trying to hold others to a standard which you refuse to hold for yourself. Such a conundrum, or as Ron White says "you're in quite a pickle".

Either lead, or stop pretending, John.

Fri May 10, 2013 4:03 pm

Just got the CD/book: what a great release! I just don't get the bickering about this release. It is in great sound, much better then the latest offerings on audience recordings by other labels.

The book holds fantastic pictures and gives you the feel of being there at the Hilton at that time. Artwork of the book is classy and it all breathes high quality and love for the product. The sound comes close to the Fort Baxter booth recording from 1973 that was included in the Profile Boxset. All instruments are very clear and good to be heard. You can hear everything that Elvis' says - something not always the standard on other audience recordings. On top of that Elvis delivers a very good and tight show.

While other labels present audience recordings in very well designed packages, the content is often not up to par. Venus does deliver with this release: great packaging and a very, very good audience recording of a very good show. If you like audience recorded shows you will certainly not be dissapointed.

I would like to say; well done Venus/Var! Bring on more booth recordings of this quality!

Sat May 11, 2013 1:27 am

Tim C wrote:Dearest John, there was never any anger, hostility or any other form of emotional release in my post ... Take your own advice and keep your yap shut ...

Good to read there is "never any anger, hostility or any other form of emotional release" in your comments to me. ;-)

Sat May 11, 2013 10:06 pm

8) Well Doc.... i just ordered this CD/Book combo.......seems too many people say its a 'really good quality release' and i cannot do without that kind of release 8) ¬!
bye the way Tom Jones has appeared recently on the UK programme "The Voice" 8)

By Owen Tonks
The Voice 2013: Tom Jones causes floods of tears as he makes contestant's sick gran's dreams come true
29 Mar 2013 16:51
We already knew he was a bit of a legend but we didn't know he could make us cry. It will happen this weekend. You have been warned
Katie couldn't decided if she wanted to be Cher Lloyd or Amy Winehouse
Even if you’re not a fan of his music, it’s pretty difficult to deny that Tom Jones is a cool bloke.
And the Welshman, 72, proves what a stand up guy he is during The Voice this Saturday as he makes the dreams of one of the contestant’s granny come true.
Former Pontin’s Bluecoat Katie Benbow, who is also from Wales like Tom, brings her lovely grandma along to her audition to watch from the wings.
Katie's gran hugged the singer so hard after her audition she almost completely squashed her BBC
But the trip out for her wheelchair-bound gran is something of a rarity as she is very sick and it may be the last time she sees Katie sing.
However, Sex Bomb Tom is on hand to make it a special day for Katie’s grandparent as he delights her by winking to down the lens of the camera prompting her to wave her arms around with excitement and causing host Holly Willoughby and Katie’s family to burst into tears as they look on.
Last edited by YDKM on Sat May 11, 2013 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 11, 2013 10:14 pm

YDKM wrote:8) Well Doc.... i just ordered this CD/Book combo.......seems too many people say its a 'really good quality release' and i cannot do without that kind of release 8) ¬!

Tom is a heck of a guy.

Sat May 11, 2013 10:16 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
YDKM wrote:8) Well Doc.... i just ordered this CD/Book combo.......seems too many people say its a 'really good quality release' and i cannot do without that kind of release 8) ¬!

Tom is a heck of a guy.

I KNOW i have seen him in concert around 1 dozen times and he is amazingly good`1 :roll: 8) :lol:

Sat May 18, 2013 3:29 pm

Now I finally received my copy of "Keeping Them Warm" and I really have to say that this is a hell of a release! The hardcover book looks very good, much better than Venus' previous ones. It's basically a picture book, but it includes many photos I have not seen before and therefore it is very welcome. The sound is excellent, considering the fact the recording was made by a fan in the audience. To be honest, it's one of the best audience recordings I have ever heard!

So VENUS has done it again - even their off-line recordings sound like from outer space!

:D

Sun May 19, 2013 1:15 am

A. C. van Kuijk wrote:Now I finally received my copy of "Keeping Them Warm" and I really have to say that this is a hell of a release! The hardcover book looks very good, much better than Venus' previous ones. It's basically a picture book, but it includes many photos I have not seen before and therefore it is very welcome. The sound is excellent, considering the fact the recording was made by a fan in the audience. To be honest, it's one of the best audience recordings I have ever heard!

So VENUS has done it again - even their off-line recordings sound like from outer space!

The music on this release sounds great, likewise Elvis' high-energy set list and performance, but overall the audio is a notch below the best audience releases to date. Still, it's an essential purchase for the serious Presley fan.

Sun May 19, 2013 5:05 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
A. C. van Kuijk wrote:Now I finally received my copy of "Keeping Them Warm" and I really have to say that this is a hell of a release! The hardcover book looks very good, much better than Venus' previous ones. It's basically a picture book, but it includes many photos I have not seen before and therefore it is very welcome. The sound is excellent, considering the fact the recording was made by a fan in the audience. To be honest, it's one of the best audience recordings I have ever heard!

The music on this release sounds great, likewise Elvis' high-energy set list and performance, but overall the audio is a notch below the best audience releases to date. Still, it's an essential purchase for the serious Presley fan.

i agree with that opinion. the show is great, but from the big words in the promotion for the set i expected to receive a sound that´s equal to the August 20, 73 MS or also the recent "aloha jerry" release. well, to my ears it is not. they seemed to have hardly worked on the sound and it shows good results in many parts. overall i like the release a lot, also because of the book.

Sun May 19, 2013 7:28 pm

8) mine is on its way....so will be enjoying it soon this month¬! 8)