Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: The Nation's Favourite Elvis Songs - UK

Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:51 pm

Once non-fans and kids see the real Elvis that we became fans of, they see and realize what all the fuss was about and why 36 years later, his legacy is still a big deal. It also serves as a reminder how great-looking our boy was, especially during the 68 special, all in beautiful color. We fans from other countries, always appreciate how the UK people have always treated Elvis!!

Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:08 pm

As an Elvis fan I thought the Programme was excellent and better than expected. It seemed to fly by especially with the invasive interruption of advertisements. The sound was excellent and most important there were no impersonators involved. It was rapid moving and to the point. Put over in a documentary style it featured all the main points one would want featuring including his UK record of No.1 Hits and his one billion worldwide record sales making him the best-selling solo artist of all-time. Of course one can always argue about the one billion figure as they could about the figure of 20 million given for the worldwide sales of ‘Its Now Or Never’. The countdown went from 20 to 1 with the ultimate winner being ‘Always On My Mind’ just narrowly beating out ‘Suspicious Minds’. I do feel that Priscilla may have had the final casting vote for this track, however. The twenty tracks featured in countdown order were:

20 King Creole
19 If I Can Dream
18 Don’t Be Cruel
17 Viva Las Vegas
16 Heartbreak Hotel
15 American Trilogy
14 It’s Now Or Never
13 All Shook Up
12 Blue Suede Shoes
11 The Wonder Of You
10 Are You Lonesome Tonight? (including laughing version)
9 Return To Sender
8 Love Me Tender
7 Hound Dog
6 Jailhouse Rock
5 A Little Less Conversation (film and remix versions)
4 In The Ghetto
3 Can’t Help Falling In Love (film and ‘live’ versions)
2 Suspicious Minds (Live Version featured)
1 Always On My Mind.

There were clips and comments from, among others, Engelbert Humperdinck, Michael Buble, Cliff Richard, Ronnie Tutt, Glen Hardin, DJ Fontana, Estelle Brown, Bill Baize, Joe Moscheo, George Kline, Sharlene Spiteri, JXL, Gareth Gates, UB 40, Mac Davis, Celeste Yarnall, Suzi Quattro, Fine Young Cannibals, Michael Ball, Kevin Kearn, Jerry Schillling, Darlene Love, Cerys Matthews (Welsh singer) highly rated by Tom Jones (who surprisingly was not featured in this programme).

The Sony advert for the album was featured during the programme (which is normally not allowed) and at the end an announcement was made that the album was on sale at all good record outlets.

‘A Little Less Conversation’, and the video of same, was featured which would no doubt have appealed to the younger generation, although now far removed from material featured by such artists as Rihanna and Eminem. Also Celeste Yarnall, one of Elvis’ co-stars from ‘Live A Little, Love A Little’ apparently loved ALLC and told Elvis that it was going to be one of his biggest No.1 hits ever. It wasn’t at the time but she laughs explaining that if she could talk to him now she would remind him she was right all along.

There were few negative aspects but I could have done without the comments of Mike Stoller, who preferred the original version of ‘Hound Dog’ by Big Mama Thornton and thought Elvis’ version silly. He also stated that he did not think ‘King Creole’ was one of their better efforts. They also featured a couple of minutes footage on the sinking of the liner ‘Andrea Doria’ from which Stoller was saved – time wasted in my opinion.

Further, I noticed that ‘Jailhouse Rock’ was shown as being made in 1958!!

Priscilla commented throughout the programme supported by the usual private film footage including that from Hawaiian vacations and the wedding etc. I did not notice any new film footage. She came across well in my opinion and stated that she felt shy about revealing some of her private moments with Elvis. However, during the playing of ‘Always On My Mind’ she stated that Elvis gave her a copy of the song after he recorded it. Apparently she had never revealed this before. Further, during the playing of ‘The Wonder Of You’ she stated that Elvis was referring to God when singing it and not any person. Apparently he believed that God gave him his voice. There was no mention made of prescription drug abuse and the footage of Elvis used was mainly from the 1968 Special; TTWII, ‘Aloha’ and early TV appearances.

Needless to say and true to form, Lisa Marie never appeared in the documentary to talk about Elvis but there was a plug for her two top ten albums with video footage.
The ending was rather strange I thought with Priscilla reflecting about the difficulties surrounding their break-up commenting “I would have done anything for that man”.

In conclusion an excellent programme on UK prime-time television giving Elvis much needed, and long overdue, national exposure. I feel it will help improve his image with the general public and hopefully lead to the current album achieving a Top 10 position. Of course, demographics, death and musical styles now detract from immediate Top 10 Hits but I can think of no other artist who is so revered so long after their death.

Brian :D

Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:49 pm

It's still trending on twitter, if you search for #ElvisSongs you'll see comments still coming in.
All very complimentary I might add.

Go Elvis!

Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:58 pm

Excellent synopsis Brian. Sums it all up nicely.
I really enjoyed the programme and the way it was presented. It can only do good for Elvis' image.
I hope the album is a BIG hit.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:07 pm

The deluxe album is still at #2 and 30#1's has shot up to #27 in Amazon

Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:33 pm

Really enjoyed the TV show - has anyone managed to put it onto DVD? If so please could you PM me as im willing to buy a copy. Thanks.

Jasper.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:34 pm

It's remarkable that the album was climbing the charts even before the tv programme.

On Sunday, just 1.5 days after the broadcast, it might even be top ten. It wouldn't surprise me if that incredible event were to happen: The tv special was like a sprinkling of magical dust in the eyes and ears of a nation.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:45 pm

Thanks Brian for that Nice review, and thanks garyt for keeping us updatet on its placing on the charts.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:48 pm

Thanks Brian for that Nice review, and thanks garyt for keeping us updatet on its placing on the charts.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:57 pm

Suds wrote:It's remarkable that the album was climbing the charts even before the tv programme.

On Sunday, just 1.5 days after the broadcast, it might even be top ten. It wouldn't surprise me if that incredible event were to happen: The tv special was like a sprinkling of magical dust in the eyes and ears of a nation.

That's beautiful Suds! Although one might wonder how a nation could actually see or hear the tv special if said sensory organs were full of dust. Lovely sentiment though!

Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:46 pm

This is where to watch online if you're in the UK.
I'm in Ireland, and even I can't watch it, even though all Irish TV Services include UTV.

http://www.u.tv/utvplayer/video/154182

If you're technically minded, you can find a way to watch outside the UK, but I can't advise I'm afraid.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:50 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:As an Elvis fan I thought the Programme was excellent and better than expected. It seemed to fly by especially with the invasive interruption of advertisements. The sound was excellent and most important there were no impersonators involved. It was rapid moving and to the point. Put over in a documentary style it featured all the main points one would want featuring including his UK record of No.1 Hits and his one billion worldwide record sales making him the best-selling solo artist of all-time. Of course one can always argue about the one billion figure as they could about the figure of 20 million given for the worldwide sales of ‘Its Now Or Never’. The countdown went from 20 to 1 with the ultimate winner being ‘Always On My Mind’ just narrowly beating out ‘Suspicious Minds’. I do feel that Priscilla may have had the final casting vote for this track, however. The twenty tracks featured in countdown order were:

20 King Creole
19 If I Can Dream
18 Don’t Be Cruel
17 Viva Las Vegas
16 Heartbreak Hotel
15 American Trilogy
14 It’s Now Or Never
13 All Shook Up
12 Blue Suede Shoes
11 The Wonder Of You
9 Return To Sender
8 Love Me Tender
7 Hound Dog
6 Jailhouse Rock
4 In The Ghetto
1 Always On My Mind.

There were clips and comments from, among others, Engelbert Humperdinck, Michael Buble, Cliff Richard, Ronnie Tutt, Glen Hardin, DJ Fontana, Estelle Brown, Bill Baize, Joe Moscheo, George Kline, Sharlene Spiteri, JXL, Gareth Gates, UB 40, Mac Davis, Celeste Yarnall, Suzi Quattro, Fine Young Cannibals, Michael Ball, Kevin Kearn, Jerry Schillling, Darlene Love, Cerys Matthews (Welsh singer) highly rated by Tom Jones (who surprisingly was not featured in this programme).

The Sony advert for the album was featured during the programme (which is normally not allowed) and at the end an announcement was made that the album was on sale at all good record outlets.

‘A Little Less Conversation’, and the video of same, was featured which would no doubt have appealed to the younger generation, although now far removed from material featured by such artists as Rihanna and Eminem. Also Celeste Yarnall, one of Elvis’ co-stars from ‘Live A Little, Love A Little’ apparently loved ALLC and told Elvis that it was going to be one of his biggest No.1 hits ever. It wasn’t at the time but she laughs explaining that if she could talk to him now she would remind him she was right all along.

There were few negative aspects but I could have done without the comments of Mike Stoller, who preferred the original version of ‘Hound Dog’ by Big Mama Thornton and thought Elvis’ version silly. He also stated that he did not think ‘King Creole’ was one of their better efforts. They also featured a couple of minutes footage on the sinking of the liner ‘Andrea Doria’ from which Stoller was saved – time wasted in my opinion.

Priscilla commented throughout the programme supported by the usual private film footage including that from Hawaiian vacations and the wedding etc. I did not notice any new film footage. She came across well in my opinion and stated that she felt shy about revealing some of her private moments with Elvis. However, during the playing of ‘Always On My Mind’ she stated that Elvis gave her a copy of the song after he recorded it. Apparently she had never revealed this before. Further, during the playing of ‘The Wonder Of You’ she stated that Elvis was referring to God when singing it and not any person. Apparently he believed that God gave him his voice. There was no mention made of prescription drug abuse and the footage of Elvis used was mainly from the 1968 Special; TTWII, ‘Aloha’ and early TV appearances.

Needless to say and true to form, Lisa Marie never appeared in the documentary to talk about Elvis but there was a plug for her two top ten albums with video footage.
The ending was rather strange I thought with Priscilla reflecting about the difficulties surrounding their break-up commenting “I would have done anything for that man”.

In conclusion an excellent programme on UK prime-time television giving Elvis much needed, and long overdue, national exposure. I feel it will help improve his image with the general public and hopefully lead to the current album achieving a Top 10 position. Of course, demographics, death and musical styles now detract from immediate Top 10 Hits but I can think of no other artist who is so revered so long after their death.

Brian,

I think the reason why they listed the year for 'Jailhouse Rock' as 1958 is that it could have been the release date of the single in the UK.

They did the same with 'If I Can Dream' as they listed that as 1969.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:55 pm

The programme is #8 on itv's catch-up's popularity! could this be another 2002? All it takes is for people / kids performing and they are hooked! Elvis needs to be seen more on prime tv and this should go to show Sony / EPE this leads to increase album sales and new young fans!

Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:19 pm

Just watched it again on itvPLAYER and I have to say that they did a really good job.

We can all be picky over little things about it but the positives far outweigh any small negatives. The adverts were intrusive (you get them on itv player, too) - it's like settling down to watch an hour long DVD and the phone goes every 10 minutes, so you have to pause your DVD and it takes you 3 minutes each time to get rid of the caller ! But that's just one of the reasons I never watch ITV . . .

A great boost for Elvis's memory and legacy.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:20 pm

Loved it... very well done! I got a little emotional too lol.

The album in currently 3rd in the itunes chart too!

Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:25 pm

I can't see any footage, damn!

Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:11 am

Sounds great - I can hardly wait to see the show.................hopefully it'll creep onto the net.................always great to get Elvis out there!!!!..............the public forgets about Elvis but the real fans know what they are missing!!!!

Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:12 am

The soundtrack album is currently #2 on Amazon UK. Hopefully it'll continue to be a big seller for Elvis.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:40 am

garyt wrote:
TJ wrote:The deluxe version is #6 on the iTunes album chart right now and the standard version is #24. The 68 Special is #1 on their Top Concert Films chart.

How do you view the Itunes charts?
Thanks.

I checked within the iTunes software, but the info is also available here:
http://www.apple.com/euro/itunes/charts ... lbums.html

The list within iTunes itself has Elvis at #6, but the link above has him at #3. Not sure which is updated most often.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:13 pm

The UK no1 won't be Elvis. Eminem's new album came out on Tuesday, selling 73k in one day.

In the midweek charts published on Wednesday the Elvis album wasn't in the official top 40. But after Fridays broadcast there would have been a large spike in sales, so it might be top 5.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:17 pm

daylon wrote:The UK no1 won't be Elvis. Eminem's new album came out on Tuesday, selling 73k in one day.

In the midweek charts published on Wednesday the Elvis album wasn't in the official top 40. But after Fridays broadcast there would have been a large spike in sales, so it might be top 5.

Some folk don't know good music even when it slaps them in the face..........Eminem indeed :roll: :roll:

Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:31 pm

Bodie wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote:As an Elvis fan I thought the Programme was excellent and better than expected. It seemed to fly by especially with the invasive interruption of advertisements. The sound was excellent and most important there were no impersonators involved. It was rapid moving and to the point. Put over in a documentary style it featured all the main points one would want featuring including his UK record of No.1 Hits and his one billion worldwide record sales making him the best-selling solo artist of all-time. Of course one can always argue about the one billion figure as they could about the figure of 20 million given for the worldwide sales of ‘Its Now Or Never’. The countdown went from 20 to 1 with the ultimate winner being ‘Always On My Mind’ just narrowly beating out ‘Suspicious Minds’. I do feel that Priscilla may have had the final casting vote for this track, however. The twenty tracks featured in countdown order were:

20 King Creole
19 If I Can Dream
18 Don’t Be Cruel
17 Viva Las Vegas
16 Heartbreak Hotel
15 American Trilogy
14 It’s Now Or Never
13 All Shook Up
12 Blue Suede Shoes
11 The Wonder Of You
9 Return To Sender
8 Love Me Tender
7 Hound Dog
6 Jailhouse Rock
4 In The Ghetto
1 Always On My Mind.

Brian,

I think the reason why they listed the year for 'Jailhouse Rock' as 1958 is that it could have been the release date of the single in the UK.

They did the same with 'If I Can Dream' as they listed that as 1969.

Thanks for that Bodie. You're right. Those were the days - the single went No.1 and it stayed in the charts for 20 weeks. The EP went to No.18 and stayed in the chart for 5 weeks.

Brian

Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:43 pm

daylon wrote:The UK no1 won't be Elvis. Eminem's new album came out on Tuesday, selling 73k in one day.

For me the most important thing was always getting Elvis into the Top 10. No.1 will always be difficult to achieve as (a) music styles have changed and youth want their own heroes (b) Elvis cannot make any new recordings (c) the original fan base has naturally diminished and many of the regular fan base will not buy such albums because they already have the tracks many times over and (d) the pop radio stations/Sky music channels rarely play Elvis or other artists of his era. On the other hand artists such as Eminem and Rihanna are constantly played.

The reason why I wanted Elvis to get a Top 10 Album in the UK is because it will be his 50th - a feat no other artist or group has achieved to this date.

Brian

Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:03 pm

For Everybody who couldnt see it and still wanna see it, here it is :) http://www.putlocker.com/file/AD759BDB6B4B5CA5

Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:29 pm

What were the viewing figures for the programme?