Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: The Nation's Favourite Elvis Songs - UK

Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:25 am

Dan_T wrote:
jungleroombear wrote:Is it true that Elvis sang Love Me Tender (i think she said?) whilst looking directly at Priscilla (who was watching from a booth) during the 68 Special?

She was actually in the audience,not in a booth, and you can see her sitting with, Arthur O'Connell in the 68 Comeback DVD Box set.

I don't know where she got that idea....I didn't see him singing 'to' her......

Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:27 am

Is there a clip from tonight's show available?

Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:37 am

I would agree with the positive posts above. The programme was generally intelligent and respectful with lots of fabulous music. Mistakes were minimal. The countdown criteria and positions are irrelevant: this was 90 minutes of prime Elvis.

Some of the video clips could have been improved: if you're showing "Heartbreak Hotel" you've really got to go with Dorsey, if you're showing "Hound Dog" you've got to go with Berle, and I so hoped they'd keep playing "Suspicious Minds" until the shake-down ending (they didn't).

Some of the commentary was refreshingly in-depth -- "If I Can Dream" and "An American Trilogy" were particularly well treated, although the earlier music was not looked at with such a keen eye.

The talking heads were okay and, having secured the services of Priscilla, the producers obviously felt the need to ask her opinion of most of the tracks. I guess that's fair enough, she knew him better and longer than most. It seems that EP sent her a copy of "Always On My Mind" when it was recorded (that's new to me). It also seems that she was with Elvis when first he heard Newbury's "Trilogy". She claims that "Wonder" was for Elvis more of a spiritual song than a love ballad. Generally she was cool and interesting.

Enjoyable, not embarrassing (although my family did observe that some of Elvis' 60s movie dancing was weird!) and I'll happily watch it again.

A success, methinks.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:45 am

Overall very good and should certainly make some people reconsider baby just how awesome Elvis could be.

Some of the footage wouldn't have been my choice, especially Suspicious Minds from Aloha but at least they cut in with film of that from 70 as well. Still, I don't think a non-fan would really care.

A bit too much Priscilla and it might have been better to have had more contemporary talking heads. Bless him, Michael Ball seems like a lovely chap but Tinie Tempah or Labyrinth would have been far cooler. Saying that, great to see Everton FC owner Bill Kenwright is a huge Elvis fan!

Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:04 pm

Just a few thoughts
The best publicity Elvis has had in years bar none (even better than 30 No1 Hits?). Yes, not the best footage was always used to represent songs but you could see that time and some thought had been taken. Yes Priscilla was all me, me me as usual but I didn't expect anything else and not much is done these days like this without her involvement somehow.
And finally Michael Buble nailed it when he said "GOD KISSED HIS THROAT, TRULY"
Ps It is already on ITVPlayer
Paul

Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:19 pm

One of the best documentaries i have seen on Elvis.

Just focusing on the music which is what its about.

I guess we can all find the odd fault with this but as its been said, but i thought it was very impressive.

One thing is that it's quite embarrassing for our US friends that this kind of programme hasn't been done over there.
Last edited by Bodie on Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:20 pm

debtd1 wrote:
Dan_T wrote:
jungleroombear wrote:Is it true that Elvis sang Love Me Tender (i think she said?) whilst looking directly at Priscilla (who was watching from a booth) during the 68 Special?

She was actually in the audience,not in a booth, and you can see her sitting with, Arthur O'Connell in the 68 Comeback DVD Box set.

Maybe she was sitting next to Susan Henning :lol:

Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:14 pm

the best slice of elvis we have had on british mainstream tv for a long long while. this will do a lot of good for our man. moaning about what clips were used is petty. we all have different opinions and you cant please all of the people all of the time.... my all time favourite is dont be cruel and im surprised it came in so low in the chart. i have it as my ring tone on my phone and never tire of hearing those intro bass notes on scottys big gibson...

Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:44 pm

Steve Morse wrote:
debtd1 wrote:
Dan_T wrote:

Maybe she was sitting next to Susan Henning :lol:

Thanks for the feedback! Poor Elvis, he musn't have know who best to sing it to. He must have been having quite a chuckle to himself.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:53 pm

George Smith wrote:
Some of the commentary was refreshingly in-depth -- "If I Can Dream" and "An American Trilogy" were particularly well treated, although the earlier music was not looked at with such a keen eye.

The talking heads were okay....

I agree about the commentary on those two tracks, it was unexpected for a show in such a timeslot fora general ITV audience.

I could have done without that Sharleen Spiteri from the "Texas" pop group though, she said a lot but nothing useful, the music video of hers they showed, with her dressed up as Elvis 68 on a mockup of the Burbank boxing ring set, I'd (mercifully) never seen before. It looked like the work of complete lunatics. It was terrible. She even stated after the clips, without irony: "even I think I looked like Elvis".

No you f%$ing didn't love! You might as well hold a paint brush and say you look like Picasso.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:57 pm

Is anybody going to buy the CD? I looked at the Deluxe version on Monday in HMV (£12.99 instore if anybody's interested), but I didn't see the point. The cover art is a bit gaudy and tacky, unlike the TV programme, a shame Sony didn't put a nice picture of EP on it :(

Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:01 pm

TJ wrote:
TJ wrote:Checking in with Amazon, the single-disc edition is currently at #673 in the "music" category:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E ... B00EL015YK

But the 2-disc deluxe edition is at a more pleasing #158:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E ... B00EL015ZE

In contrast, the new Beatles at the BBC album is at #20, ahead of its release next week. Cliff's new one also debuts next week and is currently at #'19. These figures will all change regularly of course.

Hopefully tonight's show will prompt a real spike in sales for the Elvis album. I can imagine a lot of Elvis fans not bothering buying it though, as it will be seen as yet another greatest hits compilation. The more casual buyer might pick it up, but even then there are a huge number who already have an Elvis greatest hits (in the form of the 30 number ones album).

The show has certainly made a difference to those figures. At the time of writing, the standard edition is at number #29 in the music category and the deluxe edition is at #2.

I thought the show was pretty good. It's difficult to put yourself in the shoes of someone who is new to Elvis' music, so I really have no idea how it will have been perceived. Some of the clips could have been in better quality and there were some elements that could have been better, eg in only showing the tv performance of Heartbreak Hotel, with its poor audio quality, the point made about how new and different the music sounded was lost a little.

I also see on amazon.co.uk that Elv1s: 30 #1 Hits is also in the top music 100 sitting at #25 was #9 this morning, maybe Elvis will get 2 charting albums this week !!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elv1s-30-Hits-E ... s_music_25

Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:09 pm

That's one of the problems with having more than one greatest hits collection in circulation. Those sales for the old title will impact on the chart placing of the new one.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:15 pm

I will buy one for sure, I actually already have, because I will love to see this release go to the top of the charts. I think a good chart position will help keep Elvis in the news, and also prove to Sony that it pays to promote Elvis (something many fans have been wanting for many years). Also, I think that big sellers like this (could be) will help pay for other great Elvis products, that we all want . And of course , it will be great to be able to say that this went to the top of the hit list, next time some idiot proclaime his leagacy for overrated or his time for over.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:30 pm

What did they say about those 2 songs? I am stranded in America. I don't know! What was unexpected?

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:37 pm

It's a shame that some of the less well known (To the general public) songs didn't get a platform like this.There's so many more fantastic songs that Elvis recorded that I wish people were aware of.As said though,I think they could have arranged the clips better,like using the Berle Hound dog( As George Smith said) and last Sullivan show Don't Be Cruel, that,I think, would have had more of a visual impact on the viewer and that's important.I know it's been said that it's all about the music and that's mostly true but with Elvis the visuals are also very important and that's what sets him apart from the rest of the pack.
In England on a Saturday night we have the X-Factor,last night (Friday) we had the blue print,Elvis was the rainbow that they all try to chase.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:56 pm

Johnny 99 wrote:Lots of action on twitter whilst show was on. Mainly from young young girls gushing over how good looking Elvis was :D

Which twitter account were all these twitters from young girls posted?
thanks.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:01 pm

TJ wrote:The deluxe version is #6 on the iTunes album chart right now and the standard version is #24. The 68 Special is #1 on their Top Concert Films chart.

How do you view the Itunes charts?
Thanks.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:13 pm

garyt wrote:
Johnny 99 wrote:Lots of action on twitter whilst show was on. Mainly from young young girls gushing over how good looking Elvis was :D

Which twitter account were all these twitters from young girls posted?
thanks.

Living in The Netherlands where I don't have ITV, I followed the show on Twitter and indeed the tweets just kept coming all through the show. I just typed in Elvis to follow. Many, many tweets from young girls gushing over Elvis' looks. Also many tweets about "If I Can Dream" and "An American Trilogy" giving goosebumps. Many, many tweets about not realising before how great Elvis was. One girl said "I'm going to download this album on ITunes right away". It was fun seeing all those tweets.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:14 pm

Like many of you, I too wished they'd shown the Miltern Berle Hound Dog footage as he was much more animated. At least they showed clips of Elvis gyrating from Tupelo '57. they could've used some other clips from Tupelo '56 instead of using the same one 3, 4 times.
I was a bit miffed they advertised The Beatles album in the first ad break. They could've advertised Elvis' album at least one more time; after all, that's what it was all for.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:27 pm

The twitter handle from last night was #ElvisSongs and this was trending through the show.

Just returned from shopping with my 12 year old daughter and bought her the delux copy of the album from HMV (boxed, 2 cds and picture cards) and have to say they looked to be selling well.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:27 pm

rjm wrote:What did they say about those 2 songs? I am stranded in America. I don't know! What was unexpected?

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

It wasn't any information that real Elvis followers wouldn't know, it was just they put a deeper focus on those two tracks, eg showing a clip of Newbury singing part of the original, Priscilla describing hearing Trilogy for the first time while driving on Sunset Blvd, and lots of words about the intense emotional impact such songs had on Elvis as well as the audience / listener. It was just a bit unusual for what could have been a very superficial show. It wasn't earth-shattering, but I doubt anyone came away thinking of the sort of cartoon cutout Elvis which could so easily have been portrayed in a show like this.

For non UK fans, the channel this show was on is not renowned for high quality music or culture programmes, which isn't saying it's a bad channel, it was just a better show than I think a lot of us were expecting, like when a TV soap has a good storyline or acting performance that makes you sit up and watch!

Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:35 pm

garyt wrote:
TJ wrote:The deluxe version is #6 on the iTunes album chart right now and the standard version is #24. The 68 Special is #1 on their Top Concert Films chart.

How do you view the Itunes charts?
Thanks.

It's ironic that after all those clips and publicity here in the UK for the 68 Special last night, the 3DVD set is totally out of print here!

Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:38 pm

rjm wrote:What did they say about those 2 songs? I am stranded in America. I don't know! What was unexpected?

rjm

There was an explanation of the MLK / RFK connection for "Dream": Schilling spoke of Elvis' admiration for King, Binder spoke of the fetal recording process.

For "Trilogy" the narrator described the basic history of the three segments, with Elvis bringing together the various splintered parts of the country.

It was unexpected only within the context of a prime-time TV show.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:51 pm

Totally fantastic to have Presley on British prime time TV.Great PR and all good for his legacy to catch a younger audience.Even my 12year old niece was talking about it to her friends about how cool he looked.