Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

The Nation's Favourite Elvis Songs - UK

Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:52 pm

Shiver, the factual arm of ITV Studios UK, has been commissioned by ITV to produce The Nation's Favourite Elvis Song, a 90-minute prime-time special focused on the top 20 songs by the King of Rock 'n' Roll. The production, which will air later in the year, features commentary from Priscilla Presley as well as a number of producers and musicians.

Mark Robinson, the creative director of Shiver, commented: "Our Nation's Favourite… format has celebrated some of the greatest acts in popular music, but none bigger than the King of Rock 'n' Roll himself. This special tells the fascinating stories behind Elvis' best known songs, in the words of the people who knew him best, climaxing with the revelation of The Nation's Favourite Elvis Song."

Phil Savill, the director of marketing for CMG/Sony Music, added: "I am delighted that ITV have chosen to celebrate the marvellous music of Elvis Presley with The Nation's Favourite Elvis Song ITV special. He is arguably still the Nation's Favourite recording artist and we are delighted that ITV will be counting down through his 20 most popular tunes to reveal The Nation's Favourite Elvis Song."

This is good news indeed for Elvis in the UK. A similar programme featuring the Bee Gees proved very successful chartwise. No date has yet been given.

Brian 8)
Last edited by Brian Quinn on Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: The Nation's Favourite Elvis Song - UK

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:11 pm

No doubt they will give us 25 to choose from! :)

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:19 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:Shiver, the factual arm of ITV Studios UK, has been commissioned by ITV to produce The Nation's Favourite Elvis Song, a 90-minute prime-time special focused on the top 20 songs by the King of Rock 'n' Roll. The production, which will air later in the year, features commentary from Priscilla Presley as well as a number of producers and musicians.

There's nothing like hearing Priscilla talk about Elvis' music... of which she knows nothing about...

Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:12 pm

I for one think this is great! Why so negative? Prime time tv for Elvis, possible album high in the charts, maybe a new generation of fans? Its all good!
I'm sure it will be the same songs as always, these are of course Elvis' Hits!

Thanks for the info Brian, I very much look forward to this!!!

Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:10 pm

This programme could very well lead to a Top 10 album in the UK and should it do so it will become Elvis' 50th - a feat no other artist or group has achieved.

Brian 8)

Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:22 pm

Good news, I shall very much look foward to seeing this programe.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:36 pm

Good news. The Abba, Bee Gees and the other ones, were good viewing and made me like those songs even more.

It would be interesting to see how the public's choices compare to those of the Elvis fans. The EP fans, in their polls tend to have Suspicious Minds at the top, and An American Trilogy high up, and other tracks in the top 20 that the public might not necessarily vote for.

And if Sony get in there and advertise an Elvis album during the ad breaks, even better.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:33 pm

Excellent news.

Obviously the list will be made up of the usual suspects. Those who already have the 40 Greatest, 50 Greatest or any of the many other hits collections, are unlikely to re-buy. Yet it's over ten years (hard to believe) since ELV1S and it's not necessarily an inopportune time to try for another relatively big seller. People do act on impulse and there will be a young element who will 'discover Elvis' for the first time.

And that's the way it should be !

Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:27 pm

it will be great to see a programme on a mainstream channel devoted to him, but as we all know it will be the run of the mill songs.
It would be fantastic (but obviously won't be) a chance to show some more unusual and less heard of songs.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:10 am

Could be good, but I wont hold my breath

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:15 am

Brian Quinn wrote:Shiver, the factual arm of ITV Studios UK, has been commissioned by ITV to produce The Nation's Favourite Elvis Song, a 90-minute prime-time special focused on the top 20 songs by the King of Rock 'n' Roll. The production, which will air later in the year, features commentary from Priscilla Presley as well as a number of producers and musicians.

Mark Robinson, the creative director of Shiver, commented: "Our Nation's Favourite… format has celebrated some of the greatest acts in popular music, but none bigger than the King of Rock 'n' Roll himself. This special tells the fascinating stories behind Elvis' best known songs, in the words of the people who knew him best, climaxing with the revelation of The Nation's Favourite Elvis Song."

Phil Savill, the director of marketing for CMG/Sony Music, added: "I am delighted that ITV have chosen to celebrate the marvellous music of Elvis Presley with The Nation's Favourite Elvis Song ITV special. He is arguably still the Nation's Favourite recording artist and we are delighted that ITV will be counting down through his 20 most popular tunes to reveal The Nation's Favourite Elvis Song."

This is good news indeed for Elvis in the UK. A similar programme featuring the Bee Gees proved very successful chartwise. No date has yet been given.

Brian 8)

My question is, why in the hell is this NOT being done for the US also? Another blown opportunity by Sony and RCA. Typical though.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:58 pm

Seems that Sony are releasing two CD's to coincide with this programme :-)
Amazon (UK) are advertising a single CD and a 2 CD set of 'The Nation's Favourite Elvis Song' for release on 11th November.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:00 pm

Elfan wrote:Seems that Sony are releasing two CD's to coincide with this programme :-)
Amazon (UK) are advertising a single CD and a 2 CD set of 'The Nation's Favourite Elvis Song' for release on 11th November.

Here's the track listing for the single disc edition (http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Nations-Fav ... Elvis+Song):

1. Suspicious Minds
2. Always on My Mind
3. Love Me Tender
4. In the Ghetto
5. Viva Las Vegas
6. Jailhouse Rock
7. Hound Dog
8. Blue Suede Shoes
9. All Shook Up
10. Are You Lonesome Tonight?
11. The Wonder of You
12. It's Now or Never
13. Don't Be Cruel
14. Heartbreak Hotel
15. If I Can Dream
16. An American Trilogy
17. King Creole
18. Return to Sender
19. A Little Less Conversation - Elvis vs JXL
20. Can't Help Falling in Love

And here it is for the 2CD set (http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Nations-Fav ... Elvis+Song):

Disc 1: same as the single disc edition

Disc 2:

1. (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear
2. (Now and Then There's) A Fool Such as I
3. Hard Headed Woman
4. Burning Love
5. She's Not You
6. (You're The) Devil in Disguise
7. Good Luck Charm
8. (Marie's the Name of) His Latest Flame
9. Wooden Heart
10. Way Down
11. Surrender
12. Stuck on You
13. A Big Hunk O' Love
14. One Night
15. Crying in the Chapel
16. Don't
17. I Just Can't Help Believin'
18. Too Much
19. Promised Land
20. Guitar Man
21. Rubberneckin'
22. Suspicious Minds
23. Are You Lonesome Tonight?

I'm guessing the final track on CD2 is the laughing version.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:50 pm

hm80ep wrote:
Elfan wrote:Seems that Sony are releasing two CD's to coincide with this programme :-)

Here's the track listing for the single disc edition (http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Nations-Fav ... Elvis+Song):

1. Suspicious Minds
2. Always on My Mind
3. Love Me Tender
4. In the Ghetto
5. Viva Las Vegas
6. Jailhouse Rock
7. Hound Dog
8. Blue Suede Shoes
9. All Shook Up
10. Are You Lonesome Tonight?
11. The Wonder of You
12. It's Now or Never
13. Don't Be Cruel
14. Heartbreak Hotel
15. If I Can Dream
16. An American Trilogy
17. King Creole
18. Return to Sender
19. A Little Less Conversation - Elvis vs JXL
20. Can't Help Falling in Love

And here it is for the 2CD set (http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Nations-Fav ... Elvis+Song):

Disc 1: same as the single disc edition

Disc 2:

1. (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear
2. (Now and Then There's) A Fool Such as I
3. Hard Headed Woman
4. Burning Love
5. She's Not You
6. (You're The) Devil in Disguise
7. Good Luck Charm
8. (Marie's the Name of) His Latest Flame
9. Wooden Heart
10. Way Down
11. Surrender
12. Stuck on You
13. A Big Hunk O' Love
14. One Night
15. Crying in the Chapel
16. Don't
17. I Just Can't Help Believin'
18. Too Much
19. Promised Land
20. Guitar Man
21. Rubberneckin'
22. Suspicious Minds
23. Are You Lonesome Tonight?

I'm guessing the final track on CD2 is the laughing version.

Should get a high chart entry.

Brian

Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:23 pm

Latest news item from EPE on this subject:

http://www.elvis.com/news/detail.aspx?id=7192

Brian

Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:03 pm

Thanks Brian.
Advertising the CD during the broadcast and/or the commercial breaks should create interest and boost sales.
I just hope the CD (s) are available to buy at the same date the show airs and not several weeks later!

Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:15 pm

It seems to me that the opening song of cd1 and the closing song of cd2 are the same. I hope they use a 1969 live version for either one. But it probably will be the Aloha one.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:17 pm

Here is the cover-art and package as shown on Amazon:

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:41 pm

I checked with the Official Charts Company today and they confirmed sales of both versions of the album will be added together for the charts.

Brian

Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:45 pm

Can't wait!!! Will be awesome to see Elvis on prime time tv. Great promo for the cd!

Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:26 am

I had assumed it was going to be some sort of presentation where the viewers would be invited to vote.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:57 pm

Will the show have footage of Elvis singing the songs or will it be f********* ETAs?
they should have that kid from 1 Direction who is a big Elvis fan and other modern singers talking about Elvis instead of have-beens like Cliff.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:08 pm

Where's "My Boy"??? :shock:

Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:11 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:I checked with the Official Charts Company today and they confirmed sales of both versions of the album will be added together for the charts.

Brian

Well, Brian, good work.

I will, a specially for you, order two, (2), copies, just so Elvis can get support in sales for his 50th UK chart album.

And I also happen to think that track #1, on Disc 1, will be the actual #1 ! :wink:

Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:37 pm

garyt wrote:Will the show have footage of Elvis singing the songs or will it be f********* ETAs?
they should have that kid from 1 Direction who is a big Elvis fan and other modern singers talking about Elvis instead of have-beens like Cliff.

Gary,

I do not believe there will be any tribute artists on this show. Like him or loathe him, Cliff Richard has a huge fan base here in the UK, particularly of the female gender, and some of them may be tempted to buy the Elvis album. I do agree that some of the younger artists of today should be featured and if I know EPE they certainly will. Whatever, it is out of our hands and we can only hope that the show is tasteful and has the desired effect of getting a high charting album.

We live in hope.

Brian