Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: My Boy (1 liner) - My Way (footage & Sound)

Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:22 am

Johnny2523 wrote:I always count School days as a song elvis sang to as he usually sings throughout the whole track ''hail hail rock & roll''.

That's a mistake. Again, "School Day" shouldn't be credited as an "Elvis performance." If Presley chooses to warble a few lines during the orchestra's spot it isn't any more a complete song than if Elvis bebops and scats during Tutt's drum solo.

570316_Chess 1653_Berry.JPG
"School Day (Ring! RIng! Goes The Bell)" (Chess 1653, March 16, 1957)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:41 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:I always count School days as a song elvis sang to as he usually sings throughout the whole track ''hail hail rock & roll''.

That's a mistake. Again, "School Day" shouldn't be credited as an "Elvis performance." If Presley chooses to warble a few lines during the orchestra's spot it isn't any more a complete song than if Elvis bebops and scats during Tutt's drum solo.

570316_Chess 1653_Berry.JPG
"School Day (Ring! RIng! Goes The Bell)" (Chess 1653, March 16, 1957)

Elvis scatting thru the drum solo was different. Normally no known song here.

The intro's allowed Elvis to sing a few lines of songs that spotlighted the featured players.

James Burton---Johnny b. goode (usually)
J. Wilkinson---Early morning rain
Keyboard player----various songs "Love letters" then later, " really don't want to know".

The orchestra's spot. School day.

Elvis usually sang a verse or two, there by qualifying it as a song, yes, admittedly very rushed, and not much effort put forth.

It was nearly medley quality. He actually sang more of that song than he did on some of the medley tunes he did in 1973-74.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:26 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:Here is a clip of february 12 1977. I listened to the show today, while the pics show a sick elvis, the concert is still quite good.

phpBB [video]

Also elvis sung a 1 liner of my boy especially for the doc!

One liner of "My Boy"....how fascinating!!......not.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:10 pm

Robert wrote:Elvis in Feb was upbeat but out of breath and hoarse.
Compared to Dec a major drop and the Miami show wasn't the best of the tour I guess?

That said, Juan Luis you're so lucky you were in the same arena with Elvis, even in 1977.
I'm sure no 8mm footage, picture or soundboard or audience recording captures the feeling of being in the same building with our man.

Thank you. Without (closeup) visuals it is an enjoyable show. Not hoarse or out of breath like the rest of that first tour IMO. And from where I was sitting Elvis was dynamic and having a good time on stage. That's what I saw. The show was short for me. But,longer than the usual he did. I later learned. https://www.yousendit.com/download/UVJn ... VFpwdmNUQw

Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:34 am

ekenee wrote:Elvis scatting thru the drum solo was different. Normally no known song here.

The intro's allowed Elvis to sing a few lines of songs that spotlighted the featured players.

Keyboard player----various songs "Love letters" then later, " really don't want to know".

Elvis usually sang a verse or two, there by qualifying it as a song, yes, admittedly very rushed, and not much effort put forth.

It was nearly medley quality. He actually sang more of that song than he did on some of the medley tunes he did in 1973-74.

Of your examples from the band introductions, "Early Morning Rain" and "Love Letters" / "I Really Don't Want To Know" were primarily sung by Elvis. Thus, they count.

After a certain point, Elvis barely did anything with "Johnny B. Goode," so it depends on the performance whether it can be counted.

"School Day" never featured Presley singing "a verse or two." It was mostly an orchestra solo spot, and should not count, ever.

At least in the real world. ;-)

Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:52 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ekenee wrote:Elvis scatting thru the drum solo was different. Normally no known song here.

Of your examples from the band introductions, "Early Morning Rain" and "Love Letters" / "I Really Don't Want To Know" were primarily sung by Elvis. Thus, they count.

After a certain point, Elvis barely did anything with "Johnny B. Goode," so it depends on the performance whether it can be counted.

"School Day" never featured Presley singing "a verse or two." It was mostly an orchestra solo spot, and should not count, ever.

At least in the real world. ;-)

It counts, you know why.....cause I count it. And I live in the real world. The world of crazy, nutty, Elvis fans.
Even one verse sung, counts, because anything less is a one-liner.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:15 am

Special request to STAR productions.....Please produce a nicely edited video piece of Elvis singing "My Boy" & "Love Song Of The Year" live on stage. I'm sure your techno guru's can pull this one off without a hitch. I'll be waiting patiently.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:17 am

TCB-FAN wrote:Special request to STAR productions.....Please produce a nicely edited video piece of Elvis singing "My Boy" & "Love Song Of The Year" live on stage. I'm sure your techno guru's can pull this one off without a hitch. I'll be waiting patiently.

Maybe MRS could copy it and release it as a newly discovered single?

Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:13 am

midnightx wrote:What a let down it must have been for the audience. For one split second they thought a rousing rendition of the international smash My Boy was coming.

No wonder...it sold almost 2,5 million copies and went to number one on some of the official charts...

Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:02 am

Scarre wrote:
midnightx wrote:What a let down it must have been for the audience. For one split second they thought a rousing rendition of the international smash My Boy was coming.

No wonder...it sold almost 2,5 million copies and went to number one on some of the official charts...

Wow!

Given that Norway had about 4,000,000 people in 1975, that means many people bought more than one copy.

Norway Population
http://www.google.com/publicdata/explore?q=norway%20population

Perhaps these folks wore out their first one?