Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Chris Roberts

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Post by Chris Roberts »

r&b wrote:
Chris Roberts wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:But thats only one song. But that doesn't mean that Paul Ankas songs have been covered more than Elvis'.

Elvis has definatly had more songs covered, that is true. When you look into it, it is surprising just how many have been covered. With so many of Elvis' songs, of course, it could be argued that the artist was covering the original version for etc. Milk Cow Blues by Eddie Cochran. However, I believe it would be safe to say that in the vast majority of cases the Elvis version would be the one covered.

Listed are the Elvis songs that I know have been covered, I am sure it isn't anywhere near the complete list, please let us know of any others.

I Love You Because, That's All Right, Good Rockin' Tonight, Milk Cow Blues, Hound Dog, Don't Be Cruel, Love Me Tender, Too Much, Mean Woman Blues, Party, Jailhouse Rock, Blue Christmas, Hard Headed Woman, Baby I Dont Care, I Gotta Know, Can't Help Falling In Love, Little Sister, Angel, Suspicion, Because Of Love, Viva Las Vegas, Run On. I am not to sure about the '70 songs, also I haven't listed the artist who did a cover, but am happy to do so if anyone should ask.

Come to think of it, it is just possible that he has had more songs covered than the Beatles. :wink:
I wouldn't count songs like Thats All Right, Run On, etc. They were already covers by Elvis and you don't know if the artist is covering Elvis or the original. Original songs like Little Sister, Viva, etc. make more sense as true covers by other artists.
I did acknowledge that with my Eddie Cochran examble. Marty Robbins covered Thats All Right in his rock a billy phase, so I'm fairly sure it was the Elvis version he was thinking of.

One song I didn't mention was Always On My Mind covered by the Pet Shop Boys.

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

FredAistair wrote:
r&b wrote:
Chris Roberts wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:But thats only one song. But that doesn't mean that Paul Ankas songs have been covered more than Elvis'.

I wouldn't count songs like Thats All Right, Run On, etc. They were already covers by Elvis and you don't know if the artist is covering Elvis or the original. Original songs like Little Sister, Viva, etc. make more sense as true covers by other artists.
But what if the song were made famous by Elvis?

I'll give you That's All Right, that really was made famous by Elvis. But Run On? That's a standard black spiritual recorded by many. Already known in gospel circles before Elvis cut it.

FredAistair

Post by FredAistair »

r&b wrote:
FredAistair wrote:
r&b wrote:
Chris Roberts wrote:

But what if the song were made famous by Elvis?

I'll give you That's All Right, that really was made famous by Elvis. But Run On? That's a standard black spiritual recorded by many. Already known in gospel circles before Elvis cut it.
Agreed, one cannot count songs already well known

brian

Post by brian »

Elvis has been covered a lot and not just the well known stuff some of the lesser known songs.

Keith Richard's Jr. started a thread about that a few years ago and it was an eye opener.

It made me realize that a wide variety of songs by Elvis have been covered by a large number of singers from various genres of music.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

brian wrote:Elvis has been covered a lot and not just the well known stuff some of the lesser known songs.

Keith Richard's Jr. started a thread about that a few years ago and it was an eye opener.

It made me realize that a wide variety of songs by Elvis have been covered by a large number of singers from various genres of music.
Can you find it and put up his topic for us ? Of late, It seems to have become a trend here.

Chris Roberts

Post by Chris Roberts »

FredAistair and r@b, I would agree that Run On may be stretching things a little, I was thinking of Tom Jone's recent cover he possibly got it from his idol (and friend) Elvis.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Chris it's simple. If more artists and bands recorded a Beatles song than Elvis - regardless of whether it is an original or That's Alright Mama, Blue Suede Shoes, Hound Dog, or any other song EP recorded secondary - then by that measure, it was the Beatles who were the more influential.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

jak wrote:Years ago Dick Clark was on Larry King being interviewed. Larry asked Dick this very question. Who was more important,Elvis or the Beatles? Dick paused and said if he judged them by their influence over other artists,Elvis was more important than the Beatles. I really think Dick Cark was closer to the situation than any of us. Dick knew best so let's just accept his verdict. Long live the king.
How many "years ago" ?

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

OK thanks. i think Dick was wrong.

FredAistair

Post by FredAistair »

Robt wrote:Chris it's simple. If more artists and bands recorded a Beatles song than Elvis - regardless of whether it is an original or That's Alright Mama, Blue Suede Shoes, Hound Dog, or any other song EP recorded secondary - then by that measure, it was the Beatles who were the more influential.
So this all boils down to what measure we use.

I look at clips of Elvis's Tupelo concerts and I think I am seeking the first rock concerts, and I see how Elvis's moves around the stage and I am thinking I see how every rock band and rock singer has been directly and indirectly influenced by Elvis.

I am thinking of Springsteen's comment "it was like he came along and whispered some dream in everybody's ear, and somehow we all dreamed it."

I am thinking that perhaps Elvis was instrumental in creating a market that didn't exist in that form before.

I dare say we can apply similar things in support of the Beatles as well. But i think Elvis being the sort of first counts for something that cannot be taken away.

ElvisLive3August1969

Post by ElvisLive3August1969 »

Elvis is the inventor of Rock N Roll !!

Elvis is the inventor of coolness !! Beatles were never cool !!

Elvis has a bigger fan base than any other singer or bands in the history of the universe !!

Elvis has sold more records than any other singer or bands in the history of the universe !!

Before Elvis there was nothing!!

Elvis is the way the truth and the light !!

AWopbopaloolop a lop bam boo !!

"People were saying who is he? what is he? is he is he?? I didn't know I'm saying am I am I??" Elvis Presley talks about his career in 1969 live concert

My YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/ElvisPresleyIsTheMan

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob »

jak wrote:
Robt wrote:
jak wrote:Years ago Dick Clark was on Larry King being interviewed. Larry asked Dick this very question. Who was more important,Elvis or the Beatles? Dick paused and said if he judged them by their influence over other artists,Elvis was more important than the Beatles. I really think Dick Cark was closer to the situation than any of us. Dick knew best so let's just accept his verdict. Long live the king.
How many "years ago" ?
Can't recall exactly how many but it was sometime before he passed away.....
Do you know how many interviews Dick has had since his death?

Thanks in advance.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

ElvisLive3August1969 wrote:Elvis is the inventor of Rock N Roll !!

Elvis is the inventor of coolness !! Beatles were never cool !!

Elvis has a bigger fan base than any other singer or bands in the history of the universe !!

Elvis has sold more records than any other singer or bands in the history of the universe !!

Before Elvis there was nothing!!

Elvis is the way the truth and the light !!

AWopbopaloolop a lop bam boo !!
Little Richard is the King!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned

Post by mysterytrainrideson »

Chris Roberts wrote:

Elvis has definatly had more songs covered, that is true. When you look into it, it is surprising just how many have been covered. With so many of Elvis' songs, of course, it could be argued that the artist was covering the original version for etc. Milk Cow Blues by Eddie Cochran. However, I believe it would be safe to say that in the vast majority of cases the Elvis version would be the one covered.

Listed are the Elvis songs that I know have been covered, I am sure it isn't anywhere near the complete list, please let us know of any others.

I Love You Because, That's All Right, Good Rockin' Tonight, Milk Cow Blues, Hound Dog, Don't Be Cruel, Love Me Tender, Too Much, Mean Woman Blues, Party, Jailhouse Rock, Blue Christmas, Hard Headed Woman, Baby I Dont Care, I Gotta Kno :smt007 w, Can't Help Falling In Love, Little Sister, Angel, Suspicion, Because Of Love, Viva Las Vegas, Run On. I am not to sure about the '70 songs, also I haven't listed the artist who did a cover, but am happy to do so if anyone should ask.

Come to think of it, it is just possible that he has had more songs covered than the Beatles. :wink:
"I Got a woman" is another prime example. Ray Charles did an absolute brillient cut of this, for sure. But it was really Elvis' version that got people covering it. Same goes for Blue Moon Of Kentucky....

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

drjohncarpenter

Dick Clark appeared on "Larry King Live" on Friday, April 16, 2004.

According to the CNN transcript, only Elvis is mentioned, not the Beatles:
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0404/16/lkl.00.html

If there was another appearance before his stroke on Monday, December 6, 2004, I cannot find it.

Frankly, I never considered Dick Clark the most accurate barometer of rock 'n' roll trends. He was a great radio and TV host, though.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Dick Clark appeared on "Larry King Live" on Friday, April 16, 2004.

According to the CNN transcript, only Elvis is mentioned, not the Beatles:
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0404/16/lkl.00.html

If there was another appearance before his stroke on Monday, December 6, 2004, I cannot find it.

Frankly, I never considered Dick Clark the most accurate barometer of rock 'n' roll trends. He was a great radio and TV host, though.
Yes a great TV host, but he probably didn't know much about the r&b and country artists that came before rock and roll. He was mostly a manufactured DJ of TV and played host to a lot of teen idols. Not much of an authority I would say.

drjohncarpenter

jak wrote:You guys have got to realize that Elvis is above analyzing. Facts and statistics cannot even begin to measure his impact. Elvis is at the top because he was one of us. He was like family. The bond Elvis created with his fans is a special one. To say he was just a great performer doesn't even come close. He was part of our lives. We never stopped caring. Our lives were better because he was here. Elvis made life better for so many common people. Elvis was the hero for countless people who really never had much of anything. The people who just tried to get by,pay the bills and put food on the table. Elvis impacted the lives of everyday people. He still is. He brought nothing but joy and happiness to so many. That's the measure of greatness.
I can agree with all of the above, but someone else could just as easily write this:
someone else wrote:You guys have got to realize that the Beatles are above analyzing. Facts and statistics cannot even begin to measure their impact. The Beatles are at the top because they were one of us. They were like family. The bond the Beatles created with their fans is a special one. To say they were just great performers doesn't even come close. They were part of our lives. We never stopped caring. Our lives were better because They were here. The Beatles made life better for so many common people. The Beatles were heroes for countless people who really never had much of anything. The people who just tried to get by,pay the bills and put food on the table. The Beatles impacted the lives of everyday people. They still do. They brought nothing but joy and happiness to so many. That's the measure of greatness.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

drjohncarpenter

jak wrote: C'mon Doc, you know the Beatle fans are more the "uppety" type. Elvis belonged to the common folk. :wink:
Well, I have been to Dingle in Liverpool (where Ringo grew up), and it makes Shake Rag in Tupelo look like Long Beach.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

rjm

Post by rjm »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
jak wrote: C'mon Doc, you know the Beatle fans are more the "uppety" type. Elvis belonged to the common folk. :wink:
Well, I have been to Dingle in Liverpool (where Ringo grew up), and it makes Shake Rag in Tupelo look like Long Beach.
Long Beach? I resemble that remark! ;)

(I will Google Dingle, as I'm now curious)

Here's a shot from a forum page about Ringo ("Beatlelinks") - this is "Dingle Station":

And next, where Ringo lived, now boarded up:

And, next, here's Park Road, in Dingle (embedding and downloading disabled):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44435674@N00/6959416139/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Dingle is a dreary, kind of dead-end working class neighborhood, and Ringo made a few unkind remarks about it. Dinglians were not too happy about the remarks, apparently.

_________

Shake Rag (from Facebook page "Blue Moon Shotgun Shacks" -- a must-see!):
ShakeRag_shacksInRows.jpg
rjm (Old joke: "We were so poor, we lived in a box." Reply: "You had a BOX?")
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned

Post by mysterytrainrideson »

This neverending debate about Elvis and The Beatles, who was the greatest brigade, should be put to rest. At the end of the day, you can't compare the two. They were both great, both unique, both revolutionized the music world, both had an impact on our society, both made great music that will never be forgotten, both are the most iconic figures of the 20th century, no one will ever reach to their level of fame again, we will never see another two like these again.

So i think, it should be left at that. It's pointless keep bringing this subject up!

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

Alexander

Post by Alexander »

mysterytrainrideson wrote:This neverending debate about Elvis and The Beatles, who was the greatest brigade, should be put to rest. At the end of the day, you can't compare the two. They were both great, both unique, both revolutionized the music world, both had an impact on our society, both made great music that will never be forgotten, both are the most iconic figures of the 20th century, no one will ever reach to their level of fame again, we will never see another two like these again.

So i think, it should be left at that. It's pointless keep bringing this subject up!
Agree completely! I still find Elvis Presley better though... :wink:

Chris Roberts

Post by Chris Roberts »

mysterytrainrideson wrote:This neverending debate about Elvis and The Beatles, who was the greatest brigade, should be put to rest. At the end of the day, you can't compare the two. They were both great, both unique, both revolutionized the music world, both had an impact on our society, both made great music that will never be forgotten, both are the most iconic figures of the 20th century, no one will ever reach to their level of fame again, we will never see another two like these again.

Very true, but why not discuss and compare them both? that's why we have forums, to share and learn from each others views. :)

Chris Roberts

Post by Chris Roberts »

Don't anyone compare the Elvis birthplace now to when he was born. I first visited in 1972 and it was probably much us it was in 1935 but not now. It has been so tarted up, that it resembles the Ritz in comparason. I would say it is a better and more interesting place to visit today what with the musium chapple etc., but it has lost the atmosphere of object poverty.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

No I disagree. Debates of this nature are usually exciting. Always fun to read comments by fans of the two greatest, Elvis Presley and The Beatles. I like what you wrote in your last sentence. And thanks again to r&b who started this one :smt006

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

Robt wrote:

No I disagree. Debates of this nature are usually exciting. Always fun to read comments by fans of the two greatest, Elvis Presley and The Beatles. I like what you wrote in your last sentence. And thanks again to r&b who started this one :smt006

I brought it up to have a lively debate and share opinions. Thanks to all who did. Very good points made. The intent was not to argue or make people mad.