Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Fri May 31, 2013 5:48 am

I really hate this Elvis vs the Beatles debate. It's actually silly. There will never be another Elvis and there will never be another Beatles...PERIOD!

Fri May 31, 2013 7:45 am

Pink&Black wrote:No one was feeling threatened by 4 neatly dressed, fresh faced teenagers.

That's not accurate either. By the time most people in the UK - let alone the US - had heard of the Beatles, none of them were teenagers.

Elvis turned 21 in January 1956. When the Beatles first appeared on Ed Sullivan in February 1964, only George (who turned 21 later that month) was younger than that. The others were 21- to 23-year olds.

You might do well to rely on the internet from time to time to check your facts. I'm sure the rest of us do.

Fri May 31, 2013 9:47 am

NumberEight wrote:
Pink&Black wrote:No one was feeling threatened by 4 neatly dressed, fresh faced teenagers.

That's not accurate either. By the time most people in the UK - let alone the US - had heard of the Beatles, none of them were teenagers.

Elvis turned 21 in January 1956. When the Beatles first appeared on Ed Sullivan in February 1964, only George (who turned 21 later that month) was younger than that. The others were 21- to 23-year olds.

You might do well to rely on the internet from time to time to check your facts. I'm sure the rest of us do.

You're right, that should have been: barely out of their teens or 'teenagers'. I just meant that they were young and innocent looking when they started out.

As for John C: I'm not ignorant on the subject of popular music, so stop making condescending remarks. We don't agree on this subject and neither you, nor all the internet pages on this subject, are ever going to convince me the Beatles are better than Elvis. So let it be :)

Fri May 31, 2013 9:54 am

Pink&Black wrote:As for John C: I'm not ignorant on the subject of popular music, so stop making condescending remarks.

None of my remarks have been condescending, although your declarations have been strident at best. My replies are legitimate suggestions based on your writing, which displays clear ignorance of the subject being discussed. If you are conversant on the subject of popular music, please understand we are not mind-readers.

You didn't even acknowledge the superb Beatles overview which I took great effort to present here, which betrays your disinterest in a real dialogue.

Fri May 31, 2013 10:23 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Pink&Black wrote:As for John C: I'm not ignorant on the subject of popular music, so stop making condescending remarks.

None of my remarks have been condescending, although your declarations have been strident at best. My replies are legitimate suggestions based on your writing, which displays clear ignorance of the subject being discussed. If you are conversant on the subject of popular music, please understand we are not mind-readers.

You didn't even acknowledge the superb Beatles overview which I took great effort to present here, which betrays your disinterest in a real dialogue.

I am aware of, and frequently visit AMG

Fri May 31, 2013 12:39 pm

nyelvfan wrote:I really hate this Elvis vs the Beatles debate. It's actually silly. There will never be another Elvis and there will never be another Beatles...PERIOD!

Very true, as long as everyone realises that Elvis was the first and the greatest. :wink:

Fri May 31, 2013 3:24 pm

Chris Roberts wrote:
nyelvfan wrote:I really hate this Elvis vs the Beatles debate. It's actually silly. There will never be another Elvis and there will never be another Beatles...PERIOD!

Very true, as long as everyone realises that Elvis was the first and the greatest. :wink:

That Elvis was first is fact, the rest is a matter of opinion.
Now go back to Edinburgh! :D

Fri May 31, 2013 3:31 pm

javilu wrote:
Chris Roberts wrote:

The fact is that I believe Elvis is the greatest. :) I don't live in Edinburgh, you come back to Stirling! :D

Fri May 31, 2013 4:43 pm

Chris Roberts wrote:
javilu wrote:
Chris Roberts wrote:

The fact is that I believe Elvis is the greatest. :) I don't live in Edinburgh, you come back to Stirling! :D

If you and Pat promise to take me to Loch Ness, I might next February!

Fri May 31, 2013 5:23 pm

javilu wrote:
Chris Roberts wrote:
javilu wrote:
Chris Roberts wrote:

Will look forward to it, and if Pat and I don't persuade you that Elvis is the greatest, we'll feed you to the monster. :lol:

Fri May 31, 2013 6:03 pm

Chris Roberts wrote:
javilu wrote:
Chris Roberts wrote:
javilu wrote:
Chris Roberts wrote:

Will look forward to it, and if Pat and I don't persuade you that Elvis is the greatest, we'll feed you to the monster. :lol:

We can settle in that Elvis is the greatest solo artist and The Beatles the greatest band :D