Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:50 pm

What a troll.

r&b isn't a troll. Seldom do I agree with what he posts, and I'm certainly glad that I do not think the way he thinks, but he is not a troll.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:10 pm

InheritTheWind wrote:
jungleroombear wrote: :facep: What a troll.

The word "troll" is overused WAY too much here. DJC uses it all the time to disparage people who don't agree with him. When you call everyone a "troll" it starts to lose its impact after awhile. :?

The world is a fragile place. We should all be nice to each other. :D

As far as i can remember i have not called anyone else a troll. Its not a pleasent word but discriptive in its simplicity... From Wikipedia...
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[

Posting inflamatory comments to provoke an emotional response is exactly what said poster does continually with regard to The Beatles. Why he or she would do that on an Elvis forum instead of being immersed in Beatles forums is beyond me.

We should all be nice to each other, but sadly bad people look upon nice people as weak or stupid and seek to take advantage. That's the way of the world and it is indeed a fragile place.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:19 pm

jungleroombear wrote:As far as i can remember i have not called anyone else a troll. Its not a pleasent word but discriptive in its simplicity...

Sorry. I didn't mean that you in particular calls everyone a "troll." Maybe I should have worded it "when one calls everyone a troll..." I just meant it in a general sense.

jungleroombear wrote:...but sadly bad people look upon nice people as weak or stupid and seek to take advantage. That's the way of the world and it is indeed a fragile place.

Sadly, you're 100% right. Especially around here. :cry:

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:44 pm

Rob wrote:
What a troll.

r&b isn't a troll. Seldom do I agree with what he posts, and I'm certainly glad that I do not think the way he thinks, but he is not a troll.

Rob this topic has beeen discussed to death but someone thinks hey, lets start another one! And wait, it just happens to be r&b!!

OK, here we go, [b]a topic bound to cause a lot of controversy, but here it goes. I apologize if this has been posted before. To me, there were only 2 major acts that shaped pop music history and youth culture, Elvis and The Beatles. Madonna, MJ, Dylan, all big but didn’t come close. My question is who do you think made the biggest impact/ who was the bigger act? I don’t mean record sales, although that is significant, but that is mostly a tally over time. I mean, who made the biggest impact on the scene when they arrived, Elvis or The Beatles and continued to lead the way while they were active? I would like to hear from folks who were around for both, although that may be tough. I don’t want to hear ‘well since Elvis came first, he had to be the bigger’. That is not necessarily true. I was around for both and I must say although Elvis made the first huge impact on teen culture; I think The Beatles took it even one step further. Some of this is due to the fact there were more TVs in the 60’s, more radio playing rock and roll, etc. but they also did things like a world tour, played in a NY ballpark, they seemed to be everywhere, very accessible, and the news media and fans just seemed to be in frenzy like I had never seen before. A slight dip in popularity in 1966 with the Lennon remark, but it did not slow down the musical growth as their biggest and maybe best music were yet to come. So I would have to say The Beatles because Elvis never reached the initial heights he did in 1956-58 IMO. Once the 60’s were under way, it seemed he just blended into a very comfortable career, but did not excite as before. If he had continued touring cut 'real' music (like Elvis Is Back) , done a world tour, made TV appearances, I think things would have been much better for him critically and artistically, or maybe not, since that LP did not even make #1. Your thoughts? No nasty comments please. Thank you.[/b]

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:54 pm

InheritTheWind wrote:
jungleroombear wrote:As far as i can remember i have not called anyone else a troll. Its not a pleasent word but discriptive in its simplicity...

Sorry. I didn't mean that you in particular calls everyone a "troll." Maybe I should have worded it "when one calls everyone a troll..." I just meant it in a general sense.

jungleroombear wrote:...but sadly bad people look upon nice people as weak or stupid and seek to take advantage. That's the way of the world and it is indeed a fragile place.

Sadly, you're 100% right. Especially around here. :cry:

I wouldn't say especially around here. When you look at the world and the terrible things happening in it, inflamatory topics on a message board are a drop in the ocean.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:05 pm

jungleroombear wrote:I wouldn't say especially around here. When you look at the world and the terrible things happening in it, inflamatory topics on a message board are a drop in the ocean.

It gets pretty nasty around here. I've only been a member of about three other forums and this place is by far the meanest. But it's pretty funny seeing all the Elvis avatars fightin' with each other.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:12 pm

No One should get their elvis facts by Beatle fanatics or the Beatles themselves.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:58 pm

Albert Goldman wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote:... no wonder people still think that Elvis fans are some kind of maniacs.

Good point, "Albert Goldman." ;-)

Yes, it is. Thank you.

I guess that your witty smiley implies that one has to be jealous and a maniac to disagree with you about such issues as Elvis' love for The Beatles.

Your guess is incorrect.

My witty smiley implies that, on a forum devoted to Elvis Presley, where a person may select any login name and avatar image they wish, you chose the name and uploaded the portrait of the angriest, most mean-spirited Elvis Presley critic, "Albert Goldman."

What kind of an Elvis fan would do that? ;-)

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:02 pm

InheritTheWind wrote:The word "troll" is overused WAY too much here. DJC uses it all the time to disparage people who don't agree with him.

That is so not true! You are such a troll! ;-)

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:08 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
InheritTheWind wrote:The word "troll" is overused WAY too much here. DJC uses it all the time to disparage people who don't agree with him.

That is so not true! You are such a troll! ;-)

That was actually funny! :lol:

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:40 pm

I'm an Elvis Maniac !! 8)

Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:46 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote:... no wonder people still think that Elvis fans are some kind of maniacs.

Good point, "Albert Goldman." ;-)

Yes, it is. Thank you.

I guess that your witty smiley implies that one has to be jealous and a maniac to disagree with you about such issues as Elvis' love for The Beatles.

Your guess is incorrect.

My witty smiley implies that, on a forum devoted to Elvis Presley, where a person may select any login name and avatar image they wish, you chose the name and uploaded the portrait of the angriest, most mean-spirited Elvis Presley critic, "Albert Goldman."

What kind of an Elvis fan would do that? ;-)

It is not a guess. It is obvious.

Maybe my avatar has a meaning that you just haven't figured out yet.

I have been a fan of Elvis for a long time, but I am not your fan, and you are taking it too hard "drjohncarpenter". You should just get over it and give it a rest.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:28 am

Albert Goldman wrote:It is not a guess. It is obvious.

Obviously wrong -- yes, that is clear to all. ;-)

Albert Goldman wrote:Maybe my avatar has a meaning that you just haven't figured out yet.

Whatever its "meaning," you have done very well to avoid direct questions of same from several members of this forum.

Which, of course, is all the answer anyone needs.

Have a great day, "Albert Goldman." ;-)

Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:51 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote:It is not a guess. It is obvious.

Obviously wrong -- yes, that is clear to all. ;-)

For all? You mean for you and your smileys "drjohncarpenter"?

Since you have so, so much time on your little hands, why don't you go and read those books that were mentioned in this thread: maybe you'll learn something about Elvis' love for The Beatles. This thread is not about Albert Goldman.

Tue May 28, 2013 9:32 pm

It's a miracle Elvis survived the movie years. Imagine if he had continued his music career after he left the army. Breaks my heart. Elvis was the most mismanaged performer ever.

Tue May 28, 2013 9:51 pm

LAURAW wrote:It's a miracle Elvis survived the movie years. Imagine if he had continued his music career after he left the army. Breaks my heart. Elvis was the most mismanaged performer ever.

You forget Vanilla Ice.

Tue May 28, 2013 11:36 pm

Remember...The Beatles didn't last long...they broke up. Elvis was around a very long time.

Wed May 29, 2013 12:18 am

There were four Beatles but there was only one Elvis :smt006

Wed May 29, 2013 12:29 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
LAURAW wrote:It's a miracle Elvis survived the movie years. Imagine if he had continued his music career after he left the army. Breaks my heart. Elvis was the most mismanaged performer ever.

You forget Vanilla Ice.

Milli Vanilli would top that list for me.

Wed May 29, 2013 1:49 am

sheila wrote:Remember...The Beatles didn't last long...they broke up. Elvis was around a very long time.

Which makes what they accomplished in that short time span even more impressive. Elvis wasted more years than the Beatles were together.

Wed May 29, 2013 2:47 am

sheila wrote:Remember...The Beatles didn't last long...they broke up. Elvis was around a very long time.

What is your point? Longevity does not mean quality, as has been well-detailed on this topic. Also well-discussed is the ongoing admiration for, and influence of, the peerless Beatles catalog. They continue to sell millions, 40+ years since they parted ways.

Wed May 29, 2013 11:51 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

What is your point? Longevity does not mean quality, as has been well-detailed on this topic. Also well-discussed is the ongoing admiration for, and influence of, the peerless Beatles catalog. They continue to sell millions, 40+ years since they parted ways.

You are correct on all your points John. What does annoy me though is how the general public, not us on here who take an interest on rock history, assume that the Beatles created music as we now know it today, instead of realising that they were heavily influenced by primarily Elvis, but also by those who made it big in his wake.

Many of his years were wasted but most, if not all, stars of longevity have had their shallow moments, most take a break and come back fresh, in a way it was unfortunate that Elvis just kept working.

Elvis off course continues to sell millions 35+ years after his death.

Wed May 29, 2013 3:26 pm

Pink&Black wrote:There were four Beatles but there was only one Elvis :smt006

But also, there was only one Ringo Starr

Wed May 29, 2013 4:28 pm

There was only one John Lennon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9kgu71d81U

Now i know what all the fuss was about. Go Yoko!!

Wed May 29, 2013 5:05 pm

Wow they're pretty ugly..... :shock: .... but that's off topic. Although I'm sure some of you guys would find a way to argue that were definitely better looking than Elvis.

Individually, of course, none of the Beatles could hold a candle to Elvis, as they themselves would agree.