Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:18 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:Not heard of this phone call of Elvis & Paul taking place before. When/where did this happen? And i've never heard a recording of Elvis doing "I Saw Her Standing There".


The phone call? Here ya go:
31 August 1964: Day off in Cape May, New Jersey | The Beatles Bible
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1964/08/31/day-off-cape-may-new-jersey/

The song? "I Saw Her Standing There" was one of Elvis' top favorites. So much so that it was rehearsed in July 1969 at RCA Hollywood, and almost included in his set lists that year. He spoke of this classic rocker and the then-unreleased "Hey Jude" in a major U.K. interview in August 1969.

But he remembers well the meeting he had with the Beatles during Beatlemania, and particularly their road manager, Mal Evans. "I've recorded Hey Jude," he says. "They're are so interesting and so experimental. But I liked them particularly when they used to sing "She Was Just Seventeen, You Know What I Mean" ["I Saw Her Standing There" -ed.] - and he sings, and plays an imaginary guitar, Lennon-style.

"Did you see the telegram they sent me?" You can see Elvis Presley is very proud.

The pop world has changed overnight with the reappearance of the man they know the King. Mark my words - he's going to be immense all over again.

Ray Connolly, Evening Standard
Forgot about

Saturday, August 2, 1969


Elvis clearly loved the Beatles very, very much.

Forgot about my earlier post. Thanks for the info, Doc. Unfortunately, my laptop is not working, so i'm using my mobile phone, so the link you've posted about the phone conversation doesn't show up. I did post again Doc, if you take a look at it, thanks.

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:40 am

r&b wrote:Love is kind of a strong word. I think he liked them and respected them as musicians and writers but from all accounts in the many books I've read he didn't really want to meet them and was jealous of their success. Of course some of this was prob due to the fact that the Col forbade him from touring and he was stuck making the crap movies and recording crap songs when they exploded. They did though inspire him to get back into the studio in 1966, so they had some influence on his career path. It is known he did not like Lennon (he never cut one of his songs) or his candid remarks and it is also known he referred to them as those sons of bitches, so the love was not there as I see it. He did enjoy their music though and saw them as great artists for what that's worth.

I read that Elvis' favourate Beatle was Lennon, because he liked John's sense of humour.

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:41 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
r&b wrote:Love is kind of a strong word. I think he liked them and respected them as musicians and writers but from all accounts in the many books I've read he didn't really want to meet them and was jealous of their success. Of course some of this was prob due to the fact that the Col forbade him from touring and he was stuck making the crap movies and recording crap songs when they exploded. They did though inspire him to get back into the studio in 1966, so they had some influence on his career path. It is known he did not like Lennon (he never cut one of his songs) or his candid remarks and it is also known he referred to them as those sons of bitches, so the love was not there as I see it. He did enjoy their music though and saw them as great artists for what that's worth.

I read that Elvis' favourate Beatle was Lennon, because he liked John's sense of humour.


He came to dislike him though. Search the internet. Apparently you couldn't even bring up Lennon's name in his presence.

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:23 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Elvis clearly loved the Beatles very, very much.


No, he didn't love them. I refer you, once again, to my argument to which you only responded to one of the points that I raised:-

garyt wrote:If Elvis loved the beatles very much, as you keep saying, how do you explain the fact that Elvis tried to get Nixon to ban the Beatles from entering America? Also, Elvis didn't invite them to his Bel Air home. The Beatles were desperate to meet Elvis. Why? Because he was their idol. So the meeting was arranged by the managers. When the Beatles (the so-called biggest and most influential group ever) arrived they just stared at Elvis speechless which led to Elvis saying - 'If you're just going stand there staring then i'll go to bed'. If Elvis loved the Beatles then he would've been excited at seeing them. Clearly he wasn't. When the Beatles invited Elvis to see them the next day he declined the invitation. Why did he do that if he loved them? Maybe he didn't enjoy the evening.

Yes, the Beatles loved/idolised Elvis very much but, at best, Elvis was non-plus about them and enjoyed some of their music.

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:11 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:Not heard of this phone call of Elvis & Paul taking place before. When/where did this happen? And i've never heard a recording of Elvis doing "I Saw Her Standing There".


The phone call? Here ya go:
31 August 1964: Day off in Cape May, New Jersey | The Beatles Bible
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1964/08/31/day-off-cape-may-new-jersey/

The song? "I Saw Her Standing There" was one of Elvis' top favorites. So much so that it was rehearsed in July 1969 at RCA Hollywood, and almost included in his set lists that year. He spoke of this classic rocker and the then-unreleased "Hey Jude" in a major U.K. interview in August 1969.

But he remembers well the meeting he had with the Beatles during Beatlemania, and particularly their road manager, Mal Evans. "I've recorded Hey Jude," he says. "They're are so interesting and so experimental. But I liked them particularly when they used to sing "She Was Just Seventeen, You Know What I Mean" ["I Saw Her Standing There" -ed.] - and he sings, and plays an imaginary guitar, Lennon-style.

"Did you see the telegram they sent me?" You can see Elvis Presley is very proud.

The pop world has changed overnight with the reappearance of the man they know the King. Mark my words - he's going to be immense all over again.

Ray Connolly, Evening Standard
Saturday, August 2, 1969


Elvis clearly loved the Beatles very, very much.


I love you and Rob, very, very much.:)

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:23 pm

r&b wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:I read that Elvis' favourate Beatle was Lennon, because he liked John's sense of humour.


He came to dislike him though. Search the internet. Apparently you couldn't even bring up Lennon's name in his presence.


I've never once read that Lennon was his favorite, or that his surname was later verboten. And I've read a lot. ;-)

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:46 pm

garyt wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Elvis clearly loved the Beatles very, very much.


No, he didn't love them. I refer you, once again, to my argument to which you only responded to one of the points that I raised:-


That's because they were even more silly and off-base than your misremembered history of the Nixon visit. Which you have yet to recant.

The invitation to Elvis' Los Angeles home on 525 Perugia Way was sanctioned by him. People he did not want in his home were not welcomed. As friend and employee Jerry Schilling recalled in his 2007 memoir: "But what I saw was Elvis welcoming them into his home the way he would anyone else -- as Elvis. The guy was never a phony, and I never saw him change the way he acted to try and make any kind of particular impression on the people he met ... If he wanted to cold-shoulder you, you never got the invitation to come over."

If the Beatles extended an invitation to Elvis, it was not to see their show the next day (Saturday) in San Diego, but to attend one of their Hollywood Bowl concerts on Sunday or Monday. Elvis would have demurred because of several factors. He seldom, if ever, attended big-time gigs by other artists. The Hollywood Bowl bookings were part of a major frenzy that was the Beatles 1965 U.S. tour. Plus, he was due at Paramount early Monday morning. He was devoted to his Hollywood career, as you might know.

No need to be fulsome in your thanks, garyt, just enjoy the knowledge. ;-)

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:07 pm

Not quite correct Doc. The story is on page 211/2 of Careless Love. The Beatles invited Elvis to their rented house in Benedict Canyon. The next day after their meeting with Elvis, Joe called Beatles road manager Malcolm Evans to formally decline, but a number of the guys were still excited about the invitation, did go.

The Colonel not Elvis arranged the original meeting as a valuable publicity coup, "though Elvis at best remained lukewarm about the prospect of hosting some kind of formal get-together for people he didn't know."

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:15 pm

As far as I know, Elvis watched many performers on Vegas including Tom Jones but I don't think he ever attended a major star or band playing in LA or Memphis (where he stayed most of the time) in whole his lifetime.

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:33 pm

Chris Roberts wrote:Not quite correct Doc. The story is on page 211/2 of Careless Love. The Beatles invited Elvis to their rented house in Benedict Canyon. The next day after their meeting with Elvis, Joe called Beatles road manager Malcolm Evans to formally decline, but a number of the guys were still excited about the invitation, did go.

The Colonel not Elvis arranged the original meeting as a valuable publicity coup, "though Elvis at best remained lukewarm about the prospect of hosting some kind of formal get-together for people he didn't know."


Yes, I am familiar with Peter Guralnick's second volume, but if you look in his 'Notes' on page 684, you will find that he primarily draws this information from Joe Esposito's cleverly-titled 1994 book, Good Rockin' Tonight, which is a flawed-at-best publication.

Read Jerry Schilling's 2006 effort, which I cited, for a sharper look at what took place during and after the Beatles evening with Presley. ;-)

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:01 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Chris Roberts wrote:Not quite correct Doc. The story is on page 211/2 of Careless Love. The Beatles invited Elvis to their rented house in Benedict Canyon. The next day after their meeting with Elvis, Joe called Beatles road manager Malcolm Evans to formally decline, but a number of the guys were still excited about the invitation, did go.

The Colonel not Elvis arranged the original meeting as a valuable publicity coup, "though Elvis at best remained lukewarm about the prospect of hosting some kind of formal get-together for people he didn't know."


Yes, I am familiar with Peter Guralnick's second volume, but if you look in his 'Notes' on page 684, you will find that he primarily draws this information from Joe Esposito's cleverly-titled 1994 book, Good Rockin' Tonight, which is a flawed-at-best publication.

Read Jerry Schilling's 2006 effort, which I cited, for a sharper look at what took place during and after the Beatles evening with Presley. ;-)


Thanks for that info. I haven't read Jerry Schilling's book, must try and get a copy. All any of us can do I suppose, as we weren't there, is read as many of these books as possible and then draw our own conclusions from the differing accounts, and make an educated guess of what actually happenned.

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:17 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:I read that Elvis' favourate Beatle was Lennon, because he liked John's sense of humour.


He came to dislike him though. Search the internet. Apparently you couldn't even bring up Lennon's name in his presence.


I've never once read that Lennon was his favorite, or that his surname was later verboten. And I've read a lot. ;-)

Larry Geller states in his book "If I Can Dream: Elvis' Own Story" that John Lennon was Elvis' favourite Beatle.

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:32 am

elvisalisellers wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:I read that Elvis' favourate Beatle was Lennon, because he liked John's sense of humour.


He came to dislike him though. Search the internet. Apparently you couldn't even bring up Lennon's name in his presence.


I've never once read that Lennon was his favorite, or that his surname was later verboten. And I've read a lot. ;-)

Larry Geller states in his book "If I Can Dream: Elvis' Own Story" that John Lennon was Elvis' favourite Beatle.

It probably changed over the years as noted. According to David Stanley he said to George Harrison in Madison Square Garden:"You were talented boys, you and Paul".

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:05 am

elvisalisellers wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:I read that Elvis' favourate Beatle was Lennon, because he liked John's sense of humour.


He came to dislike him though. Search the internet. Apparently you couldn't even bring up Lennon's name in his presence.


I've never once read that Lennon was his favorite, or that his surname was later verboten. And I've read a lot. ;-)

Larry Geller states in his book "If I Can Dream: Elvis' Own Story" that John Lennon was Elvis' favourite Beatle.


Thanks! I was just going trough my library to find this information. Lennon and Elvis had a same kind of sense of humour. Geller states that Elvis was ambivalent about them just as he was "about most other performers". They were not dearly loved ones.

Elvis met The Beatles once and he didn't want to see them again as emphasized in Revelations from the MM. Love? Not really. Elvis liked some of their records and that's all - and he certainly didn't appreciate the psychedelic stuff.

In We Love you Tender the Stanleys claim that he respected each of them but musically liked McCartney's ballads and catchy tunes most. David Stanley tried to persuade Elvis to record "Long and Winding Road" - he didn't succeed. Elvis also felt that "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" and "Magical Mystery Tour" were irresponsible songs. This is no news and no surprise to fans that have read enough books about Elvis. And this all has been discussed here before...

To claim that Elvis loved The Beatles very, very much is not based on any facts. A fact: it is only a wet dream for some people.

By the way, Elvis' lenght of hair is not a proof of anything in this case. I can't believe that it was offered as an argument.

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:04 am

Albert Goldman wrote:By the way, Elvis' lenght of hair is not a proof of anything in this case. I can't believe that it was offered as an argument.


If God had given you a funny bone, you might have read that entry differently, "Albert Goldman." ;-)

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:16 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote:By the way, Elvis' lenght of hair is not a proof of anything in this case. I can't believe that it was offered as an argument.


If God had given you a funny bone, you might have read that entry differently, "Albert Goldman." ;-)


If God had given you a life, you would not be posting your fantasies and 25 000 smilies on this forum day & night, "drjohncarpenter".

Let's look at the facts again, Joe Esposito says that Elvis had no "desire to meet" The Beatles and he "hated" their psychedelic songs. The Stanleys remembers same kind of details about Elvis' taste of music. In Revelations it is made clear that Elvis didn't want to meet them again - just as Esposito claims. And "drjohncarpenter" says that Elvis had long hair and loved them very, very much... I might say that you're a dreamer - and I'm not the only one.

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:22 pm

Albert Goldman wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote:By the way, Elvis' lenght of hair is not a proof of anything in this case. I can't believe that it was offered as an argument.


If God had given you a funny bone, you might have read that entry differently, "Albert Goldman." ;-)


If God had given you a life, you would not be posting your fantasies and 25 000 smilies on this forum day & night, "drjohncarpenter".

Let's look at the facts again, Joe Esposito says that Elvis had no "desire to meet" The Beatles and he "hated" their psychedelic songs. The Stanleys remembers same kind of details about Elvis' taste of music. In Revelations it is made clear that Elvis didn't want to meet them again - just as Esposito claims. And "drjohncarpenter" says that Elvis had long hair and loved them very, very much... I might say that you're a dreamer - and I'm not the only one.


While none of us will ever know what EP really thought about this boy-band, we'll have to deal with the stories from those who were actually there, and around EP for years. Who you must believe? In this case, the fake doctor choose the story what fits him best. That's not realistic. Don't forget, more than 52.000 posts. What can you say?

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:07 pm

Elvis and The Beatles ... UGH !!!

I **** hate them both ...

Gimme some Lemmy , enough with this sissy crap already !!!

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:58 pm

I think Elvis liked the Led Zeppelin members more than The Beatles. Jerry Schilling in his book wrotes wonderful stories about the meetings between him and Led Zeppelin. I also believe Elvis has a more relaxed and funny evening with them comparing to The Beatles. Maybe because he didn't feel Led Zeppelin could be a huge competitor to him in the 70's because they sang mainly hard rock, not rock'n'roll. And Elvis in 1974 was more a country and a crooner singer, far away from the contemporary rock music. Sad but true, but he was fading away from the relevant music of the middle 70's.

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:30 pm

minkahed wrote:Elvis and The Beatles ... UGH !!!

I **** hate them both ...

Gimme some Lemmy , enough with this sissy crap already !!!


Now you´re talkin!

phpBB [video]

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:26 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:I think Elvis liked the Led Zeppelin members more than The Beatles. Jerry Schilling in his book wrotes wonderful stories about the meetings between him and Led Zeppelin. I also believe Elvis has a more relaxed and funny evening with them comparing to The Beatles. Maybe because he didn't feel Led Zeppelin could be a huge competitor to him in the 70's because they sang mainly hard rock, not rock'n'roll. And Elvis in 1974 was more a country and a crooner singer, far away from the contemporary rock music. Sad but true, but he was fading away from the relevant music of the middle 70's.


Hello jurasic1968,

what do you think was "relevant music" in the middle of the 70's?

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:20 pm

Albert Goldman wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote:By the way, Elvis' lenght of hair is not a proof of anything in this case. I can't believe that it was offered as an argument.


If God had given you a funny bone, you might have read that entry differently, "Albert Goldman." ;-)


If God had given you a life, you would not be posting your fantasies and 25 000 smilies on this forum day & night, "drjohncarpenter".

Let's look at the facts again, Joe Esposito says that Elvis had no "desire to meet" The Beatles and he "hated" their psychedelic songs. The Stanleys remembers same kind of details about Elvis' taste of music. In Revelations it is made clear that Elvis didn't want to meet them again - just as Esposito claims. And "drjohncarpenter" says that Elvis had long hair and loved them very, very much... I might say that you're a dreamer - and I'm not the only one.


If God existed then he/she/it wouldn't have made DJC so insufferable. You're right, Mr. Goldman -- Elvis "liked" The Beatles at best. To say otherwise is moronic. I "like" old U2. I have several of their earlier albums and I can play a lot of their songs on piano and guitar. (Mainly because they're so easy to play.) But just because I have a few of their albums and can play some of their songs doesn't mean that I "love" them. One the other hand, I love The Beatles. I have everything they've officially released and I have read as much material on them as I could find. I have seen Paul McCartney about ten times. (And I would have seen John Lennon ten times if he were still alive.) That's love.

Owning a few albums and singing a few songs is most certainly not evidence that Elvis "loved The Beatles very, very much." I have a feeling that this was DJC's attempt at a joke. (At least I hope it was a joke.) He loves to mock Elvis fans. Not particularly funny or amusing.

Elvis may have liked The Beatles but I think his strongest emotion about them was jealousy.

To answer the original question I prefer The Beatles over Elvis. But I still love Elvis' music very, very much. :wink:

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:20 pm

The relevant ROCK music in the middle 70's was sang by these people, to name a few: Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton, Bruce Springsteen, Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, Elton John, David Bowie, Rolling Stones, Bad Company, Boston, Eagles, Queen, Frank Zappa.

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:35 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:The relevant ROCK music in the middle 70's was sang by these people, to name a few: Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton, Bruce Springsteen, Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, Elton John, David Bowie, Rolling Stones, Bad Company, Boston, Eagles, Queen, Frank Zappa.


Thank you, jurasic1968, for your clarification.

IMHO artists like Barbara Streisand were just as relevant as the ones you mentioned. One should also take a look at the charts of the day to get the whole picture. Charts were full of ABBA, George McRae, Elton John, Cher, etc., and that's how it really was until the punk explosion.

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:43 pm

I am sorry, I made a mistake. I wrote only about rock artists and bands. But Sonny and Cher belongs to that category, I think. ABBA? Very nice, hatts off to them for the disco music and their wonderful voices. My personal opinion that Elvis last single "Way Down" was very contemporary and nice, it should have have been a bigger hit even he didn't die on August 16'th 1977.