Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:43 pm

This is actually one of the best Elvis or Beatles threads that I can remember. Usually, they are a waste. As mentioned, there have been some good comments here to make it worthwhile.

Good thread.

I still prefer Elvis by a mile.

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:08 pm

I think I can sum it up for myself this way. When I want to hear the absolute best rock and roll ever made I will play Elvis 50's. When I want to hear the best singer ever, I will play Elvis any random year, but when I want to hear the most innovative and best albums ever made I play The Beatles. I don't tend to skip many songs when I play their music, I think an overall percentage of their output is better than Elvis' as far as the material goes.

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:31 pm

And I can sum it up for myself this way. I have never intentionally listened to a Beatles record.

I can't help what's being played where I can't control it.

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:46 pm

Elvis vs The Beatles sounds like a teen thing. Who one enjoys, is what really matters. I enjoy Elvis more than any group or solo artist. But, if he were to come in last place (popularity ,polls etc) it would not change a thing with me. I became a fan of his without knowing, he was on top of this or that. So it was very cool when I found out. Like icing on the already good cake. But, Elvis nor The Beatles need any defending whatsoever from me or any fan imo. They already made their indelible mark many moons ago. ::rocks

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:17 pm

Rob wrote:And I can sum it up for myself this way. I have never intentionally listened to a Beatles record.


That's like saying "I have never intentionally breathed air." ;-)

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:27 pm

It's funny with this kind of dicussions cause you can pull this different ways.

Take for example the fact that Elvis survived a Tsunami of
bad career decisions, military draft, holywood, to name a few.
These would be killing or at least damaging for any other artist, even the Beatles.

The Beatles yust gave up and split when it got to difficult together.
If they did hold longer no doubt they ran into same sort of problems
but they yust quit at there prime and that's what people remember.

If we could re-create elvis's career and simply waste the bad parts i think he would be the biggest,
no doubt. Then for example we wouldn't complain that the amount of top quality songs he recorded in the 60's
were made in a very small timeframe of that decade.
Then we only would knew he made great music in the 60's and some more than enoyable movies.
The Beatles never got to that point, they yust gave up trying, like in a bad marriage.

Elvis stayed till the end and tried to stay loyal to his fans as much as possible given the situation.
In a sense I can have a respect for that, despite the bad things it brought to his legacy.

It's yust a point of view.

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:00 am

hli wrote:The Beatles yust gave up and split when it got to difficult together.


Gave up? They grew up. Big difference.

And they all continued on with various solo endeavors, many of which were incredibly successful.


hli wrote:If they did hold longer no doubt they ran into same sort of problems but they yust quit at there prime and that's what people remember.


Yes, how strange that the Beatles quit at the top of their game, having been more or less superb for their entire run as John, Paul, George and Ringo, and so people look at their body of work as perhaps the greatest in the history of rock 'n' roll. ;-)

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:10 am

Elvis vs. The Beatles. I broke down and read the thread. Did I learn anything? Nah. I am an Elvis fan first and foremost, obviously, or I wouldn't have been here since day one. Who really cares who everyone thinks is better, or more influential? You like what you like. Period. And you probably won't be talked into feeling any other way.

What does bug me (a bit) is that criticizing The Beatles has always seemed to be sacrilegious, as if everything they did was ground-breakingly wonderful; while jumping on the anti-Elvis bandwagon is not. Never understood that.

But again, does it really matter?

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:57 am

No one has yet mentioned that Elvis loved the Beatles very, very much.

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:40 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:No one has yet mentioned that Elvis loved the Beatles very, very much.


Are you sure that he did?

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:57 am

ElvisTheKid wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:No one has yet mentioned that Elvis loved the Beatles very, very much.


Are you sure that he did?


Yes, totally. Let's look at the facts:

(1) Elvis sent the Beatles gifts when they appeared in New York on Ed Sullivan in February 9, 1964
(2) Elvis spoke on the phone with Paul McCartney on August 31, 1964
(3) Elvis invited the Beatles to his California home on August 27, 1965 (no other rock 'n' roll group ever had such an honor)
(4) Elvis grew his hair longer and longer as the '60s progressed
(5) Elvis recorded with an orchestra in March and June 1968
(6) Elvis got a congratulatory telegram from the Beatles on July 31, 1969, which he hung on the wall of his dressing room
(7) Elvis owned Rubber Soul and at least three other Beatles albums
(8) Elvis rehearsed, recorded or performed many Beatles hits, including:

Hey Jude
Yesterday
I Saw Her Standing There
Something
Get Back
Lady Madonna


Yes, Elvis loved the Beatles very, very much.


640214_Long Beach.JPG
Elvis in Long Beach, CA - Friday, February 14, 1964


And they loved him very, very much.


640823_Paul and George_Los Angeles.JPG
Paul and George in Los Angeles, CA - Sunday, August 23, 1964
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:23 am

Not heard of this phone call of Elvis & Paul taking plzace before. When/where did this happen? And i've never heard a recording of Elvis doing "I Saw Her Standing There".

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:09 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
hli wrote:The Beatles yust gave up and split when it got to difficult together.


Gave up? They grew up. Big difference.

And they all continued on with various solo endeavors, many of which were incredibly successful.


hli wrote:If they did hold longer no doubt they ran into same sort of problems but they yust quit at there prime and that's what people remember.


Yes, how strange that the Beatles quit at the top of their game, having been more or less superb for their entire run as John, Paul, George and Ringo, and so people look at their body of work as perhaps the greatest in the history of rock 'n' roll. ;-)


That's it. Right there.

Elvis couldn't break up with himself.

A more apt comparison might be with the healthy and vigorous Bruce Springsteen. Primarily a solo act with a stable band, he was able to maintain a top notch career now into his sixties. Why couldn't Elvis and some others do this? Why did they fall apart? And how did Bruce make it out alive and well and rockin'?

One possible answer is that Bruce learned from Elvis, and others who fell. He learned well.

But it wasn't easy being the first major rock solo act. He started so young, and "I guess when you're alone, you're just alone." (Bruce Springsteen)

rjm


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:25 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:No one has yet mentioned that Elvis loved the Beatles very, very much.



We've had that discussion before, and the general consensus was that he didn't.

As for growing his hair longer as the '60's progressed, he was the original long hair singer in the '50's, just that it took the rest of the world till the '60's to catch up :wink:

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:45 pm

Chris Roberts wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:No one has yet mentioned that Elvis loved the Beatles very, very much.



We've had that discussion before, and the general consensus was that he didn't.

As for growing his hair longer as the '60's progressed, he was the original long hair singer in the '50's, just that it took the rest of the world till the '60's to catch up :wink:


He loved good music, sweet soul music.

And they made such music. No biggie.

Everybody likes the Beatles, I think. Elvis loved good music.

rjm

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:52 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:(7) Elvis owned Rubber Soul and at least three other Beatles albums

Yes, Elvis loved the Beatles very, very much.


Thanks, Doc. Do you know which other three those albums were?
One has got to be in awe of the eclectic taste of music Elvis had. He LOVED music, period.

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:44 pm

rjm wrote:Everybody likes the Beatles, I think.

Not neccecelery.

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:22 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
hli wrote:The Beatles yust gave up and split when it got to difficult together.


Gave up? They grew up. Big difference.

And they all continued on with various solo endeavors, many of which were incredibly successful.


hli wrote:If they did hold longer no doubt they ran into same sort of problems but they yust quit at there prime and that's what people remember.


Yes, how strange that the Beatles quit at the top of their game, having been more or less superb for their entire run as John, Paul, George and Ringo, and so people look at their body of work as perhaps the greatest in the history of rock 'n' roll. ;-)



Gave up, grew up, it really doesn't matter that much at all, the result is the same, they quit.
Not saying this was a bad thing, perhaps Elvis should have also stopped at his prime
when getting drafted into the military, but he didn't. It's more like we almost
blame him he didn't stop, so we could remember only his prime.
As i said before in a sense i can have a respect for the fact he yust didn't stop
and be wondered in seeing that artistically he was able to refind himself multiple times.
Who could match to that?

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:56 pm

epf wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:(7) Elvis owned Rubber Soul and at least three other Beatles albums

Yes, Elvis loved the Beatles very, very much.


Thanks, Doc. Do you know which other three those albums were?
One has got to be in awe of the eclectic taste of music Elvis had. He LOVED music, period.


Elvis supposedly told them he loved the artsy cover of Meet The Beatles so I'm sure he had that album as did everyone else in America in 1964, He also loved I Saw Her Standing There and used this song to express that's how he wanted his records to sound, to have that fuller ensemble sound instead of having his voice so far up front in the mix. Don't ask me where I've read this but I know I did over the years.

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:53 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ElvisTheKid wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:No one has yet mentioned that Elvis loved the Beatles very, very much.


Are you sure that he did?


Yes, totally. Let's look at the facts:

(1) Elvis sent the Beatles gifts when they appeared in New York on Ed Sullivan in February 9, 1964
(2) Elvis spoke on the phone with Paul McCartney on August 31, 1964
(3) Elvis invited the Beatles to his California home on August 27, 1965 (no other rock 'n' roll group ever had such an honor)
(4) Elvis grew his hair longer and longer as the '60s progressed
(5) Elvis recorded with an orchestra in March and June 1968
(6) Elvis got a congratulatory telegram from the Beatles on July 31, 1969, which he hung on the wall of his dressing room
(7) Elvis owned Rubber Soul and at least three other Beatles albums
(8) Elvis rehearsed, recorded or performed many Beatles hits, including:

Hey Jude
Yesterday
I Saw Her Standing There
Something
Get Back
Lady Madonna


Yes, Elvis loved the Beatles very, very much.


640214_Long Beach.JPG
Elvis in Long Beach, CA - Friday, February 14, 1964



And they loved him very, very much.


640823_Paul and George_Los Angeles.JPG
Paul and George in Los Angeles, CA - Sunday, August 23, 1964


If Elvis loved the beatles very much, as you keep saying, how do you explain the fact that Elvis tried to get Nixon to ban the Beatles from entering America? Also, Elvis didn't invite them to his Bel Air home. The Beatles were desperate to meet Elvis. Why? Because he was their idol. So the meeting was arranged by the managers. When the Beatles (the so-called biggest and most influential group ever) arrived they just stared at Elvis speechless which led to Elvis saying - 'If you're just going stand there staring then i'll go to bed'. If Elvis loved the Beatles then he would've been excited at seeing them. Clearly he wasn't. When the Beatles invited Elvis to see them the next day he declined the invitation. Why did he do that if he loved them? Maybe he didn't enjoy the evening.

Yes, the Beatles loved/idolised Elvis very much but, at best, Elvis was non-pluss about them and enjoyed some of their music.

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:21 pm

garyt wrote:If Elvis loved the beatles very much, as you keep saying, how do you explain the fact that Elvis tried to get Nixon to ban the Beatles from entering America?


Fact: Elvis never tried to get Nixon to ban the Beatles from entering America.

Of course, we all know that the 12-21-1970 White House visit you reference in that mistaken declaration was primarily to get a legitimate badge from the Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs, like the one voice talent Paul Frees had shown him a few months before. Thus, Presley told the president a lot of stupid things, believing they were things Nixon wanted to hear. It must have worked -- he got his trophy.

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:45 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
garyt wrote:If Elvis loved the beatles very much, as you keep saying, how do you explain the fact that Elvis tried to get Nixon to ban the Beatles from entering America?


Fact: Elvis never tried to get Nixon to ban the Beatles from entering America.

Of course, we all know that the 12-21-1970 White House visit you reference in that mistaken declaration was primarily to get a legitimate badge from the Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs, like the one voice talent Paul Frees had shown him a few months before. Thus, Presley told the president a lot of stupid things, believing they were things Nixon wanted to hear. It must have worked -- he got his trophy.


So how do you account for the rest of my argument that Elvis didn't love the Beatles?

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:57 pm

Love is kind of a strong word. I think he liked them and respected them as musicians and writers but from all accounts in the many books I've read he didn't really want to meet them and was jealous of their success. Of course some of this was prob due to the fact that the Col forbade him from touring and he was stuck making the crap movies and recording crap songs when they exploded. They did though inspire him to get back into the studio in 1966, so they had some influence on his career path. It is known he did not like Lennon (he never cut one of his songs) or his candid remarks and it is also known he referred to them as those sons of bitches, so the love was not there as I see it. He did enjoy their music though and saw them as great artists for what that's worth.

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:21 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ElvisTheKid wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:No one has yet mentioned that Elvis loved the Beatles very, very much.


Are you sure that he did?


Yes, totally. Let's look at the facts:

(1) Elvis sent the Beatles gifts when they appeared in New York on Ed Sullivan in February 9, 1964
(2) Elvis spoke on the phone with Paul McCartney on August 31, 1964
(3) Elvis invited the Beatles to his California home on August 27, 1965 (no other rock 'n' roll group ever had such an honor)
(4) Elvis grew his hair longer and longer as the '60s progressed
(5) Elvis recorded with an orchestra in March and June 1968
(6) Elvis got a congratulatory telegram from the Beatles on July 31, 1969, which he hung on the wall of his dressing room
(7) Elvis owned Rubber Soul and at least three other Beatles albums
(8) Elvis rehearsed, recorded or performed many Beatles hits, including:

Hey Jude
Yesterday
I Saw Her Standing There

Something
Get Back
Lady Madonna


Yes, Elvis loved the Beatles very, very much.


640214_Long Beach.JPG
Elvis in Long Beach, CA - Friday, February 14, 1964


And they loved him very, very much.


640823_Paul and George_Los Angeles.JPG
Paul and George in Los Angeles, CA - Sunday, August 23, 1964

Never heard a recording of Elvis doing "I Saw Her Standing There". Just right up his street that song. I'd like to know a bit more about this telephone conversation between Elvis & Paul, what was the reason behind it? Not so sure about him growing his hair because of them, it was the style of the time.. A family member, can't remember who, said he had the "A Hard Days Night" album, because he/she remembers him playing it to them. What i do find sad is, its such a shame they never became friends, got to know each other, i think thats sad.

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:46 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Not heard of this phone call of Elvis & Paul taking place before. When/where did this happen? And i've never heard a recording of Elvis doing "I Saw Her Standing There".


The phone call? Here ya go:
31 August 1964: Day off in Cape May, New Jersey | The Beatles Bible
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1964/08/31/day-off-cape-may-new-jersey/

The song? "I Saw Her Standing There" was one of Elvis' top favorites. So much so that it was rehearsed in July 1969 at RCA Hollywood, and almost included in his set lists that year. He spoke of this classic rocker and the then-unreleased "Hey Jude" in a major U.K. interview in August 1969.

But he remembers well the meeting he had with the Beatles during Beatlemania, and particularly their road manager, Mal Evans. "I've recorded Hey Jude," he says. "They're are so interesting and so experimental. But I liked them particularly when they used to sing "She Was Just Seventeen, You Know What I Mean" ["I Saw Her Standing There" -ed.] - and he sings, and plays an imaginary guitar, Lennon-style.

"Did you see the telegram they sent me?" You can see Elvis Presley is very proud.

The pop world has changed overnight with the reappearance of the man they know the King. Mark my words - he's going to be immense all over again.

Ray Connolly, Evening Standard
Saturday, August 2, 1969


Elvis clearly loved the Beatles very, very much.