Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis or The Beatles?

Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:32 pm

This neverending debate about Elvis and The Beatles, who was the greatest brigade, should be put to rest. At the end of the day, you can't compare the two. They were both great, both unique, both revolutionized the music world, both had an impact on our society, both made great music that will never be forgotten, both are the most iconic figures of the 20th century, no one will ever reach to their level of fame again, we will never see another two like these again.

So i think, it should be left at that. It's pointless keep bringing this subject up!

Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:39 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:This neverending debate about Elvis and The Beatles, who was the greatest brigade, should be put to rest. At the end of the day, you can't compare the two. They were both great, both unique, both revolutionized the music world, both had an impact on our society, both made great music that will never be forgotten, both are the most iconic figures of the 20th century, no one will ever reach to their level of fame again, we will never see another two like these again.

So i think, it should be left at that. It's pointless keep bringing this subject up!

Agree completely! I still find Elvis Presley better though... :wink:

Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:15 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:This neverending debate about Elvis and The Beatles, who was the greatest brigade, should be put to rest. At the end of the day, you can't compare the two. They were both great, both unique, both revolutionized the music world, both had an impact on our society, both made great music that will never be forgotten, both are the most iconic figures of the 20th century, no one will ever reach to their level of fame again, we will never see another two like these again.

Very true, but why not discuss and compare them both? that's why we have forums, to share and learn from each others views. :)

Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:22 pm

Don't anyone compare the Elvis birthplace now to when he was born. I first visited in 1972 and it was probably much us it was in 1935 but not now. It has been so tarted up, that it resembles the Ritz in comparason. I would say it is a better and more interesting place to visit today what with the musium chapple etc., but it has lost the atmosphere of object poverty.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:10 pm

No I disagree. Debates of this nature are usually exciting. Always fun to read comments by fans of the two greatest, Elvis Presley and The Beatles. I like what you wrote in your last sentence. And thanks again to r&b who started this one :smt006

Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:33 pm

Robt wrote:

No I disagree. Debates of this nature are usually exciting. Always fun to read comments by fans of the two greatest, Elvis Presley and The Beatles. I like what you wrote in your last sentence. And thanks again to r&b who started this one :smt006

I brought it up to have a lively debate and share opinions. Thanks to all who did. Very good points made. The intent was not to argue or make people mad.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:43 pm

This is actually one of the best Elvis or Beatles threads that I can remember. Usually, they are a waste. As mentioned, there have been some good comments here to make it worthwhile.

Good thread.

I still prefer Elvis by a mile.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:08 pm

I think I can sum it up for myself this way. When I want to hear the absolute best rock and roll ever made I will play Elvis 50's. When I want to hear the best singer ever, I will play Elvis any random year, but when I want to hear the most innovative and best albums ever made I play The Beatles. I don't tend to skip many songs when I play their music, I think an overall percentage of their output is better than Elvis' as far as the material goes.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:31 pm

And I can sum it up for myself this way. I have never intentionally listened to a Beatles record.

I can't help what's being played where I can't control it.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:46 pm

Elvis vs The Beatles sounds like a teen thing. Who one enjoys, is what really matters. I enjoy Elvis more than any group or solo artist. But, if he were to come in last place (popularity ,polls etc) it would not change a thing with me. I became a fan of his without knowing, he was on top of this or that. So it was very cool when I found out. Like icing on the already good cake. But, Elvis nor The Beatles need any defending whatsoever from me or any fan imo. They already made their indelible mark many moons ago. ::rocks

Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:17 pm

Rob wrote:And I can sum it up for myself this way. I have never intentionally listened to a Beatles record.

That's like saying "I have never intentionally breathed air." ;-)

Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:27 pm

It's funny with this kind of dicussions cause you can pull this different ways.

Take for example the fact that Elvis survived a Tsunami of
bad career decisions, military draft, holywood, to name a few.
These would be killing or at least damaging for any other artist, even the Beatles.

The Beatles yust gave up and split when it got to difficult together.
If they did hold longer no doubt they ran into same sort of problems
but they yust quit at there prime and that's what people remember.

If we could re-create elvis's career and simply waste the bad parts i think he would be the biggest,
no doubt. Then for example we wouldn't complain that the amount of top quality songs he recorded in the 60's
were made in a very small timeframe of that decade.
Then we only would knew he made great music in the 60's and some more than enoyable movies.
The Beatles never got to that point, they yust gave up trying, like in a bad marriage.

Elvis stayed till the end and tried to stay loyal to his fans as much as possible given the situation.
In a sense I can have a respect for that, despite the bad things it brought to his legacy.

It's yust a point of view.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:00 am

hli wrote:The Beatles yust gave up and split when it got to difficult together.

Gave up? They grew up. Big difference.

And they all continued on with various solo endeavors, many of which were incredibly successful.

hli wrote:If they did hold longer no doubt they ran into same sort of problems but they yust quit at there prime and that's what people remember.

Yes, how strange that the Beatles quit at the top of their game, having been more or less superb for their entire run as John, Paul, George and Ringo, and so people look at their body of work as perhaps the greatest in the history of rock 'n' roll. ;-)

Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:10 am

Elvis vs. The Beatles. I broke down and read the thread. Did I learn anything? Nah. I am an Elvis fan first and foremost, obviously, or I wouldn't have been here since day one. Who really cares who everyone thinks is better, or more influential? You like what you like. Period. And you probably won't be talked into feeling any other way.

What does bug me (a bit) is that criticizing The Beatles has always seemed to be sacrilegious, as if everything they did was ground-breakingly wonderful; while jumping on the anti-Elvis bandwagon is not. Never understood that.

But again, does it really matter?

Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:57 am

No one has yet mentioned that Elvis loved the Beatles very, very much.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:40 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:No one has yet mentioned that Elvis loved the Beatles very, very much.

Are you sure that he did?

Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:57 am

ElvisTheKid wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:No one has yet mentioned that Elvis loved the Beatles very, very much.

Are you sure that he did?

Yes, totally. Let's look at the facts:

(1) Elvis sent the Beatles gifts when they appeared in New York on Ed Sullivan in February 9, 1964
(2) Elvis spoke on the phone with Paul McCartney on August 31, 1964
(3) Elvis invited the Beatles to his California home on August 27, 1965 (no other rock 'n' roll group ever had such an honor)
(4) Elvis grew his hair longer and longer as the '60s progressed
(5) Elvis recorded with an orchestra in March and June 1968
(6) Elvis got a congratulatory telegram from the Beatles on July 31, 1969, which he hung on the wall of his dressing room
(7) Elvis owned Rubber Soul and at least three other Beatles albums
(8) Elvis rehearsed, recorded or performed many Beatles hits, including:

Hey Jude
Yesterday
I Saw Her Standing There
Something
Get Back
Lady Madonna

Yes, Elvis loved the Beatles very, very much.

640214_Long Beach.JPG
Elvis in Long Beach, CA - Friday, February 14, 1964

And they loved him very, very much.

640823_Paul and George_Los Angeles.JPG
Paul and George in Los Angeles, CA - Sunday, August 23, 1964
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:23 am

Not heard of this phone call of Elvis & Paul taking plzace before. When/where did this happen? And i've never heard a recording of Elvis doing "I Saw Her Standing There".

Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:09 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

And they all continued on with various solo endeavors, many of which were incredibly successful.

hli wrote:If they did hold longer no doubt they ran into same sort of problems but they yust quit at there prime and that's what people remember.

Yes, how strange that the Beatles quit at the top of their game, having been more or less superb for their entire run as John, Paul, George and Ringo, and so people look at their body of work as perhaps the greatest in the history of rock 'n' roll. ;-)

That's it. Right there.

Elvis couldn't break up with himself.

A more apt comparison might be with the healthy and vigorous Bruce Springsteen. Primarily a solo act with a stable band, he was able to maintain a top notch career now into his sixties. Why couldn't Elvis and some others do this? Why did they fall apart? And how did Bruce make it out alive and well and rockin'?

One possible answer is that Bruce learned from Elvis, and others who fell. He learned well.

But it wasn't easy being the first major rock solo act. He started so young, and "I guess when you're alone, you're just alone." (Bruce Springsteen)

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:25 pm

We've had that discussion before, and the general consensus was that he didn't.

As for growing his hair longer as the '60's progressed, he was the original long hair singer in the '50's, just that it took the rest of the world till the '60's to catch up :wink:

Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:45 pm

Chris Roberts wrote:

We've had that discussion before, and the general consensus was that he didn't.

As for growing his hair longer as the '60's progressed, he was the original long hair singer in the '50's, just that it took the rest of the world till the '60's to catch up :wink:

He loved good music, sweet soul music.

And they made such music. No biggie.

Everybody likes the Beatles, I think. Elvis loved good music.

rjm

Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:52 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:(7) Elvis owned Rubber Soul and at least three other Beatles albums

Thanks, Doc. Do you know which other three those albums were?
One has got to be in awe of the eclectic taste of music Elvis had. He LOVED music, period.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:44 pm

rjm wrote:Everybody likes the Beatles, I think.

Not neccecelery.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:22 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Gave up, grew up, it really doesn't matter that much at all, the result is the same, they quit.
Not saying this was a bad thing, perhaps Elvis should have also stopped at his prime
when getting drafted into the military, but he didn't. It's more like we almost
blame him he didn't stop, so we could remember only his prime.
As i said before in a sense i can have a respect for the fact he yust didn't stop
and be wondered in seeing that artistically he was able to refind himself multiple times.
Who could match to that?

Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:56 pm

epf wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:(7) Elvis owned Rubber Soul and at least three other Beatles albums

Thanks, Doc. Do you know which other three those albums were?
One has got to be in awe of the eclectic taste of music Elvis had. He LOVED music, period.

Elvis supposedly told them he loved the artsy cover of Meet The Beatles so I'm sure he had that album as did everyone else in America in 1964, He also loved I Saw Her Standing There and used this song to express that's how he wanted his records to sound, to have that fuller ensemble sound instead of having his voice so far up front in the mix. Don't ask me where I've read this but I know I did over the years.