Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Aloha From Hawaii Legacy -- BUMMER!!!

Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:02 pm

I rarely watch "Aloha." The spectacle gets in the way of my listening. I love the concert. Doesn't bore me or put me to sleep. Love the "covers." Elvis' last great hurrah! Have never much cared for the rehearsal concert (and still don't). Glad to have the Legacy release.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:18 pm

Robert wrote:Matthew, which one do you prefer, the '73 mix or the 1998 one?

I prefer the '73 mix, despite the missing dialogue.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:33 pm

JerryNodak wrote:I rarely watch "Aloha." The spectacle gets in the way of my listening. I love the concert. Doesn't bore me or put me to sleep. Love the "covers." Elvis' last great hurrah! Have never much cared for the rehearsal concert (and still don't). Glad to have the Legacy release.

I do like to watch the DVD, but I agree with you on the main show Jerry. I've always enjoyed it, and it feels strange to be in the minority saying this, when this was really a landmark event in the Presley career. The rehearsal has it's moments, but I've always felt that the main show was much stronger.

I enjoyed the Legacy release too. I don't think the format for Legacy releases is set in stone. As noted elsewhere the Legacy issues of the Cash prison shows included the complete shows, and the 'twofer' approach that the Elvis releases have taken is somewhat different to the treatment of classic titles by other artists, so the label doesn't have to present every album in exactly the same format.

Having said that, the album master (with edits intact) is how I remember listening to show over and over, when I started discovering Elvis' music as a youngster, and it's nice to have a faithful reproduction of this on CD. For those that want the unedited show, and don't care for the Ferrante mix, I'm sure this will re-appear at some point, either by FTD or unofficially.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:10 pm

Matthew wrote:

Yep.
Despite it's limitations, the original mix is far more open when compared to the muddled sound of Ferrante's remix.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:47 am

midnightx wrote:
ekenee wrote:
midnightx wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:
midnightx wrote:
a mess of polk salad wrote:Yes I was disappointed with the rehearsal - it's had all the fire mixed out - what energy there was anyway...

Well, there states the real problem. Elvis. There is not a ton of energy from the Aloha event; even the "rehearsal." Many people assume a great mix is a few twist and turns of the knobs away -- but the reality is that Elvis was not in great shape during Aloha. There wasn't fire to begin with. You had a tentative, somewhat sedated star who really did not unleash any fire. You can't mix in what is not there.

stevelecher wrote:Everybody knows Elvis stopped using medications for a time when he was doing this project. :wink:

Maybe you're both right. He wasn't 100%. Yet, Elvis at (pick a percentage) is still lightyears better than anybody else.

A laughable statement.

Oh Really. Who is better? Come on Midnight, put yourself out there in this subjective mix.
Who could keep your attention for a whole show, with no bells and whistles?

This was early in satalite technology.

Elvis had some nerves, but wasn't as good as 1970, but there are many excellant performances there.
Maybe not "lightyears" better, but still better and the biggest star in the business.
Who else to broadcast live over the world?

Who?

Mary Ann's position is that Elvis at less than 100% is "lightyears better than anybody else." That is a laughable statement. Elvis at his best was at an elite level, but other acts also were capable of performing at that pinnacle. Clearly Elvis was not at his best during Aloha, so to take a position that even at a less than stellar level Elvis was still the best is simply fan cheerleading.

Elvis was a perfect choice for a worldwide entertainment broadcast in 1973 because of his international mass-appeal; few will deny that. That said, Mary Ann's initial position was not about what musical artist was the best choice for a satellite broadcast; it was taking a position that Elvis was the best even in a mediocre state.

My "initial position" didn't dissect Elvis, but was rather about the event/performance as a whole.

As you said, "his international mass-appeal" is something that "few will deny." That's a HUGE factor in this unique, groundbreaking situation. Taking that into account (and all the pressure that went with it), the performance he turned in under those circumstances proved he was the best.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:03 am

Satellite broadcasts were considered for other artists before 1973. Peter Grant had an offer for Led Zeppelin to perform via satellite on New Year's Eve 1970 from Germany. It is safe to say a 1970/1971 Led Zeppelin performance offered to various international audiences during that particular time period would have surpassed Presley's January 1973 outing from an execution standpoint.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:09 am

midnightx wrote:Satellite broadcasts were considered for other artists before 1973. Peter Grant had an offer for Led Zeppelin to perform via satellite on New Year's Eve 1970 from Germany. It is safe to say a 1970/1971 Led Zeppelin performance offered to various international audiences during that particular time period would have surpassed Presley's January 1973 outing from an execution standpoint.

Oh, but they didn't do it.

Sure, it's "safe to say." Coulda, woulda, shoulda....

Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:14 am

The egg Elvis laid on January 14,1973 did not show he was the "best."

Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:37 am

midnightx wrote:The egg Elvis laid on January 14,1973 did not show he was the "best."

An "egg laid" is not what most fans think of when they think of this show.

You really need an education in music. That is not a believable response even coming

from a PRO-TROLL like you. You are losing your touch midnight.

Led zepplin? Really? Is that all you could come up with?

LAAAGGHAABLLEEE!!!!!

Quick, you have 3 seconds. Name their hit song?

PS, the only thing that could have topped it at the time, would have been a Beatles reunion concert.

But that didn't happen either.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:03 pm

midnightx wrote:The egg Elvis laid on January 14,1973 did not show he was the "best."

Good one, midnightx! smt136

Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:31 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:
Matthew wrote:

Yep.
Despite it's limitations, the original mix is far more open when compared to the muddled sound of Ferrante's remix.

Serious question: what are its limitations for you?

Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:03 pm

dude whatever you are smokin must be some bad weed. look, fair critical observations about the show i can handle and can agree with but to call aloha laying an egg?? dude u may think u are special because doc loves u and u know alot about music but u are seriously out of touch with the real world. id retract that observation.. u might look cool criticizing elvis amongst these pinheads but ur observation is embarrasing to the real world.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:28 pm

frus75 wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:
Matthew wrote:

Yep.

It's lack of any real dynamics... especially in the lower frequencies.

That said, it would be interesting [and fairer] to hear how a transfer from an original mixdown tape would sound like today, as opposed to hearing a low generation tape that was equalised for vinyl reproduction 40 years ago.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:45 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:
frus75 wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:
Matthew wrote:

Yep.

It's lack of any real dynamics... especially in the lower frequencies.

That said, it would be interesting [and fairer] to hear how a transfer from an original mixdown tape would sound like today, as opposed to hearing a low generation tape that was equalised for vinyl reproduction 40 years ago.

Thanks for the answer!

Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:10 am

They should have done it like the Msg Prince from another planet set not the legacy piece of crap.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:48 am

ritchie valens wrote:They should have done it like the Msg Prince from another planet set not the legacy piece of crap.

For someone so vocal about insisting on audiophile qualities with their vinyl releases it is surprising you would champion more product produced the way Prince From Another Planet was - loud and compressed.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:51 am

ritchie valens wrote:They should have done it like the Msg Prince from another planet set not the legacy piece of crap.

Midnightx would dissagree with you and say it doesn't matter since Elvis laid an egg that night.

Legacy was supposed to preserve the sound and mix the way it was originally released.

That is afterall the hit version. But is it?

Since this album was a quad release, is this legacy really a 4 channel mix? I doubt it.

I suppose Sony is choosing the best of what it has to offer in this case.

There are several ways they could have done this, and in this case, it would be hard to please everyone.

Since this is marketed for the general public, I have no interest in it anyway.

Sometimes the sound just has to be "good enough", becuase I am not going to keep re-buying this stuff over and over, and falling for any hype.

We've been fooled one too many times before.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:58 am

ekenee wrote:Midnightx would dissagree with you and say it doesn't matter since Elvis laid an egg that night.

This figure of speech can be used to describe something positively as well, incase you weren't aware. The saying leads to a description of the quality of the egg laid.

ekenee wrote:Legacy was supposed to preserve the sound and mix the way it was originally released.

Since this album was a quad release, is this legacy really a 4 channel mix? I doubt it.

Fair point. I suppose a SACD version could have been produced. As it stands the Legacy Edition presents the original 1973 lifetime stereo mix.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:37 am

Matthew wrote:
ekenee wrote:Midnightx would dissagree with you and say it doesn't matter since Elvis laid an egg that night.

This figure of speech can be used to describe something positively as well, incase you weren't aware. The saying leads to a description of the quality of the egg laid.

ekenee wrote:Legacy was supposed to preserve the sound and mix the way it was originally released.

Fair point. I suppose a SACD version could have been produced. As it stands the Legacy Edition presents the original 1973 lifetime stereo mix.

In context, Midnight did not use that figure of speech as a positive. Case closed there.

I think in this digital age, the idea should be to put out the best overall sound that can be achieved within the boundries of technology.

Soundwise, I have rarely been dissapointed in the last 5 years or so.

It's when they start playing with knobs and changing levels of sound that should not be tampered with is what gets me.

Or they have a chance to right a wrong, and they miss it.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:41 am

ekenee wrote:In context, Midnight did not use that figure of speech as a positive. Case closed there.

Well, Elvis didn't lay a golden egg that night - he coulda, he shoulda, but he didn'ta.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:43 am

1998 Ferrante Mix > 1973 Al Pachucki Mix. End of story.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:46 am

TCB-FAN wrote:1998 Ferrante Mix > 1973 Al Pachucki Mix. End of story.

If only, if only. Ferrante made the show sound weak and listless.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:01 am

Matthew wrote:
ekenee wrote:In context, Midnight did not use that figure of speech as a positive. Case closed there.

Well, Elvis didn't lay a golden egg that night - he coulda, he shoulda, but he didn'ta.

He showed up, didn't he ?

case closed.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:20 am

Matthew wrote:

To be fair, there is only a handful of performers that can keep me entertained for 90-minutes straight.

You can name many many top performers in the business, and I would be bored unless they were singing one of their hits songs.

Yes, Elvis is my favorite, but Elvis had something more than artistry that kept an audience entranced.

He had that ability to connect with an audience even over the television waves. What that is....charisma or whatever

is a key thing in looking at a concert.

You can have a well trained singer, who hits every note, and musically is on-point, but they fail to make that connection with an audience.

Any performer who has that undefinable thing, call it star quality or charisma, may not be that technically perfect artist that you may be thinking of, but
they have a feel for the music.

Still to this day, when I think of the show, he did some songs which for me are the go-to versions.

Stuff like,

"What now my love" Show stopper
"Steamroller blues" fantastic
"It's over" one of the best versions he did.
"I'm so lonesome I could cry" nice surprise.
"Welcome to my world" new song for the special.

And I enjoy the relaxed renditions of the Blue hawaii material.
He is surprisingly effective on those songs.

I could ask you if what performer you think could hold an audience for 90 minutes, but only answer if you wish to put yourself out there and open for critism.

Like I said, I have seen concert specials from many artists and very few can hold my attention beyond the greatest hits.

Are there any you can think of.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:30 am

That's it... I'm going to start giving these out to people on this forum...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.