Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Aloha From Hawaii Legacy -- BUMMER!!!

Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:09 pm

Today I received the 2 cd set of Aloha From hawaii legacy edition. I expected "renewed" sound on the main show (January 14) but i can't hear the difference between the old release and this one. Infact, i think that Sony used the same tapes to make this CD. Why? For example, on the "old" Aloha release you can hear some fade-outs between these songs:
Steamroller Blues/My Way.
Hound Dog/What Now My Love. There's even a gap listenable!!;
Introductions/I'll Remember You

These are the same fade-outs that you could hear on the two double vinyl albums. So when this show was released on CD (the old release that is) they didn't bother to make the show as a "one whole part". When I bought the old Aloha CD i immediatly thought: what a shame that there are fade-outs and fade-ins on the disc. AND NOW THEY DID IT AGAIN!! That's a total shame.
If you listen for example to the DVD release of the Aloha show (the double dvd release of the deluxe set) Elvis talks more during the show than you can hear on the 1st disc of the legacy edition. In my opinion this is a total loss of this fine concert. Why didn't Sony use the "full" concert audio?? What a bummer!

The reason i think that Sony didn't do anything with the sound on disc 1 is that in the booklet you can read NOTHING about remixing disc 1! Only disc 2 tracks 01-22 is mentioned in the booklet! What a waiste!

The 2nd disc has better sound than the original Alternate Aloha CD from 1988 though.

I think that Sony should have made this project the same as the release of the Madison Square Garden discs a few months ago. I'm very dissapointed with this release! Sony don't ever do this again!!!

Oh well, what can you expect from a 2 disc set that cost me only € 15,00.

I've ripped the audio of the Aloha DVD and listen to that one! Even the audio of the DVD would be a better release on CD. What a total loss
Last edited by Charley Rogers on Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Aloha From Hawaii Legacy -- BUMMER!!!

Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:24 pm

Damn it!

Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:42 pm

Charley Rogers wrote:Today I received the 2 cd set of Aloha From hawaii legacy edition. I expected "renewed" sound on the main show (January 14) but i can't hear the difference between the old release and this one. Infact, i think that Sony used the same tapes to make this CD. Why? For example, on the "old" Aloha release you can hear some fade-outs between these songs:

These are the same fade-outs that you could hear on the two double vinyl albums. So when this show was released on CD (the old release that is) they didn't bother to make the show as a "one whole part". When I bought the old Aloha CD i immediatly thought: what a shame that there are fade-outs and fade-ins on the disc. AND NOW THEY DID IT AGAIN!! That's a total shame.
If you listen for example to the DVD release of the Aloha show (the double dvd release of the deluxe set) Elvis talks more during the show than you can hear on the 1st disc of the legacy edition. In my opinion this is a total loss of this fine concert. Why didn't Sony use the "full" concert audio?? What a bummer!

The reason i think that Sony didn't do anything with the sound on disc 1 is that in the booklet you can read NOTHING about remixing disc 1! Only disc 2 tracks 01-22 is mentioned in the booklet! What a waiste!

The 2nd disc has better sound than the original Alternate Aloha CD from 1988 though.

I think that Sony should have made this project the same as the release of the Madison Square Garden discs a few months ago. I'm very dissapointed with this release! Sony don't ever do this again!!!

I've ripped the audio of the Aloha DVD and listen to that one! Even the audio of the DVD would be a better release on CD. What a total loss

The audio on the DVD version has alot of errors in them where sound jumps up in volume or down. The new legacy release mentioned even before it was released that the rehearsal show would be remixed and that the original album (the 1973 album) would be remastered (not remixed). I agree with you that they should have done the full concert but legacy represents the original albums as they were, not what they could be. I also reseived those 2 cd's (mine only cost 13 euro's) but i'm happy with the result and also only bought it for the rehearsal concert, as the LP of the aloha from hawaii show still contains the best sound, u just can't beat good ole vinyl

Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:42 pm

Rob wrote:Damn it!

stop it.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:06 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
(...) but legacy represents the original albums as they were, not what they could be (...)

So we can look out for a future FTD release of these two shows? that would be really a rip off by the recordcompany :facep:

Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:29 pm

Charley Rogers wrote:Today I received the 2 cd set of Aloha From hawaii legacy edition. I expected "renewed" sound on the main show (January 14) but i can't hear the difference between the old release and this one. Infact, i think that Sony used the same tapes to make this CD. Why? For example, on the "old" Aloha release you can hear some fade-outs between these songs:

It is the new remastering of the original album - I too would have preferred them going to back to the master tapes in order to eradicate the fades, but that would have effectively resulted in a new mix being required and that 's not what the legacy editions are about. As Matthew pointed out on another thread when I myself raised the question, the fades are avoided on albums such as MSG because there is more audience reaction after the last song on the end of a side, and before the first song on the next side. The two sides can therefore be put together with ease with a cross-fade, but a cross-fade isn't possible here, not least because parts of the show (dialogue) are edited out as well.

Legacy editions in the main present remastered versions of albums as they were originally released, and so the edits remain in place - that said, there are exceptions to that rule, not least the Johnny Cash Folsom and San Quentin prison albums which feature the original concerts complete and not the original album at all. But that's not the way it goes with Elvis entries in the series.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Charley Rogers wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
(...) but legacy represents the original albums as they were, not what they could be (...)

So we can look out for a future FTD release of these two shows? that would be really a rip off by the recordcompany :facep:

the mainshow probably gets a FTD treatment in a few years, it can be done with easy, remixed from the original tapes, together with the outtakes of the songs he sung after the show the outtakes of blue hawaii,early morning rain no more, hawaiian wedding song and ku-u-ipo

Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:58 pm

I saw this release for the first time on a shelf at Amoeba Music yesterday...I picked it up....and then put it back on the shelf and walked away. It's probably the one new release I won't buy. Who knows, if I find it for dirt cheap maybe I'll pick it up but for now...I think I'll survive without it.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:27 pm

I'm surprised a remastering of an original stereo mixdown tape has never been sourced for Aloha.

Outside of a proper remix, it would have been far more preferable to a remaster from the aged LP cutting tapes.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:55 pm

I actually regret buying this.
Only played a few tracks before this release hitting the shelf......I was expecting a sound upgrade like
MSG got late last year.
If a non elvis fan are buying this that person most likely wont buy another Elvis cd again .

Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:58 pm

Yes, if you've got at least one of the DVD releases and the 1998 CD, you do not need this rehash. It's 2013 and we are still getting fade in's and fade out's in a a live concert! Plus edits. :facep:

Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:15 pm

It's a very disappointing release. The remix of the rehearsal show is nothing to write home about. The remastered sound of the main show is enjoyable enough for the general public (which is who this release is aimed at), but my go-to for Aloha is the 25 anniversary edition. The much-maligned Dennis Ferrante did a pretty good job on that set. Whoever remixed the rehearsal show should never be involved with another Elvis remix project.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:23 pm

Giving this one a miss too. If I really need to hear Aloha (the urge doesn't come all that often) I go to TCM or the deluxe DVD.

Until FTD get round to it. (No rush, Ernst)

Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:30 am

elvisalisellers wrote:I'm surprised a remastering of an original stereo mixdown tape has never been sourced for Aloha.

Perhaps the original stereo mix down tape includes the fades.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:46 am

Rob wrote:Damn it!

Ass Munchin' Knob Gobblers !

Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:29 pm

I just bought a copy on Amazon for only 8 pounds...... but i ONLY bought it because it was cheap and to hear the rehearsal show :?

Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:12 pm

Pete Dube wrote:It's a very disappointing release. The remix of the rehearsal show is nothing to write home about. The remastered sound of the main show is enjoyable enough for the general public (which is who this release is aimed at), but my go-to for Aloha is the 25 anniversary edition. The much-maligned Dennis Ferrante did a pretty good job on that set. Whoever remixed the rehearsal show should never be involved with another Elvis remix project.

Yes I was disappointed with the rehearsal - it's had all the fire mixed out - what energy there was anyway...
The Deluxe DVD is the real deal with a fabulous mix IMHO - still got that raw rocking feel - especially on Steamroller!!!

As a post mentioned A PRINCE FROM ANOTHER PLANET TREATMENT may have been more suitable?
Also there's never been a documentary about the show with input from the band , a la 'Prince' - an opportunity lost maybe? Or perhaps something in the offing for a potential ALOHA blu ray release - that would be the ultimate version...

Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:08 pm

poormadpeter wrote:

It is the new remastering of the original album - I too would have preferred them going to back to the master tapes in order to eradicate the fades, but that would have effectively resulted in a new mix being required and that 's not what the legacy editions are about. As Matthew pointed out on another thread when I myself raised the question, the fades are avoided on albums such as MSG because there is more audience reaction after the last song on the end of a side, and before the first song on the next side. The two sides can therefore be put together with ease with a cross-fade, but a cross-fade isn't possible here, not least because parts of the show (dialogue) are edited out as well.

Legacy editions in the main present remastered versions of albums as they were originally released, and so the edits remain in place - that said, there are exceptions to that rule, not least the Johnny Cash Folsom and San Quentin prison albums which feature the original concerts complete and not the original album at all. But that's not the way it goes with Elvis entries in the series.

My Legacy set of Cash San Quentin is that full one you speak of, with a DVD of the 1968 TV documentary too, it's great!

Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:13 pm

The last few days I've been listening to Neil Diamonds 2002 live box set which includes quite a few songs from the 1970's presented live. It's amazing how much better his live concerts sound then Elvis. The mix has a great balance of audience, band, and vocals. I can't believe Elvis gang couldn't have done it a little better.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:54 pm

King Volcano wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

My Legacy set of Cash San Quentin is that full one you speak of, with a DVD of the 1968 TV documentary too, it's great!

You can get the "Folsom" and "San Quentin" albums as originally released on the Columbia albums box set. Hopefully the price will come down in time, so I can afford it.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:07 pm

I'm still going to spring for it, Chuck.

And there are several existing threads you could have commented on...

Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:43 pm

Using the vintage mix was coherent with legacy usual policy but a HUGE mistake. And the remix of the rehearsal isn't a big deal. I bet that if FTD releases both projects as part of the classic albums series with the Sebastian - Jean Marc - Anesini team it'll sell

Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:28 pm

To me, the best version of the main show is the one with the additional dialogue, no fades, and the white cover.

I am extremely happy with the new version of the Alternate. It actually sounds like a concert and it has some energy now. I liked the uniqueness of the original mix with the drums up front but Elvis' uninspired performance was up front too which caused me to rarely play it. The new mix blends everything together pretty well and I find myself playing it quite often!

There have been quite a few topics on here about the new release with different opinions and you can find sound samples online. Next time you should check them out before you buy a release so you won't be disappointed.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:34 pm

Matthew wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:I'm surprised a remastering of an original stereo mixdown tape has never been sourced for Aloha.

Perhaps the original stereo mix down tape includes the fades.

Possible, but more likely the fades and edits were saved for the LP cutting tapes.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:25 pm

Strangely enough a few days back I gave my 1978 UK pressing a spin and it sounded just the way I remembered it - rather good!

And although the vinyl is quite worn (I bought it used in 1986) I still enjoyed it (despite my assumtion that it runs too fast).

I ripped the album and start to work on the file pretty soon.