Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: BOXCAR“ELVIS ALOHA viaSATELLITE”BOOK INFO & TRAILER (UPD

Sat May 04, 2013 7:38 pm

I think you guys are missing the boat. I think the true genius of Elvis' song selections in regard to the "Aloha" main performance is that he practically covered every strand of music in some way that influenced and shaped him as a performer. I would have to say that he tackled signature songs from three of the most significant performers / groups of the second half of the twentieth century besides himself. Those would be Frank Sinatra ("My Way"), Hank Williams ("I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry") and The Beatles ("Something"). I think Elvis did an excellent job in song selection for the "Aloha" main performance show. You have to remember one thing...this show was being broadcast to a number of countries where English is not the native tongue...therefore, Elvis was trying his best to present a show that represented the best that English language music had to offer. Yeah it would have been great if he'd thrown in a "Return To Sender," a "One Night," a "Reconsider Baby," a "Little Sister," an "It's Now Or Never" or a "Lawdy Miss Clawdy." In fact the entire show could have been made up of songs Elvis had already done. But I think Elvis saw the bigger picture in that there were other songs that originated by other English-singing artists that were just as good.When you look at the set list for the main performance show to "Aloha" you come away with something like this:

"See See Rider" - Chuck Willis R&B cover
"Burning Love" - Elvis' most recent hit / signature song for Elvis
"Something" - Beatles cover
"You Gave Me A Mountain" - Marty Robbins country / Frankie Laine pop cover
"Steamroller Blues" - James Taylor cover
"My Way" - Frank Sinatra cover
"Love Me" - 1956 hit for Elvis
"Johnny B. Goode" - Chuck Berry cover
"It's Over" - Jimmie Rodgers cover
"Blue Suede Shoes" - Carl Perkins cover / song has become associated with Elvis just as much as Perkins
"I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" - Hank Williams cover
"I Can't Stop Loving You" - Don Gibson / Ray Charles cover
"Hound Dog" - 1956 hit / signature song for Elvis
"What Now My Love" - song Elvis clearly loved dating back to at least the Charles Boyer album
"Suspicious Minds" - 1969 hit /signature song for Elvis
"I'll Remember You" - Hawaiian songwriter Kui Lee signature tune / show benefited his cancer fund
"Long Tall Sally" - Little Richard cover
"Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On" - Jerry Lee Lewis signature song
"An American Trilogy" - recent single / showstopper for Elvis / song fit well for the American Eagle motif of Elvis' jumpsuit
"A Big Hunk O' Love" - 1959 hit for Elvis
"Can't Help Falling In Love" - 1961 signature hit for Elvis

I think Elvis was able to get across nearly every strand, except maybe gospel and folk music, that had influenced Elvis. Even folk music got a push in the U.S. telecast as Gordon Lightfoot's "Early Mornin' Rain" was done after the main performance. I don't think you can really argue with any of Elvis' song choices for the "Aloha" main performance." I think he did just enough of his own hit songs mixed in with a number of covers of hits from the 50's, country / pop hits, and even some contemporary numbers. If Elvis had come out and just done all of his old hits, he quickly would have been relegated as an oldies act...but at the same time if Elvis had come out and just done all new material, he quickly might have been panned as Rick Nelson was at Madison Square Garden. Granted, do we wish he would have dug a little deeper into his own back catalogue...sure. But I'm also sure that Elvis was under time constraints to have the show start and end at appointed times; therefore, I would imagine, the running times and the pacing of each selection would and could influence which songs routinely made it into the set list and which ones did not.

Re: BOXCAR“ELVIS ALOHA viaSATELLITE”BOOK INFO & TRAILER (UPD

Sat May 04, 2013 7:45 pm

Daryl wrote:I think you guys are missing the boat. I think the true genius of Elvis' song selections in regard to the "Aloha" main performance is that he practically covered every strand of music in some way that influenced and shaped him as a performer. I would have to say that he tackled signature songs from three of the most significant performers / groups of the second half of the twentieth century besides himself. Those would be Frank Sinatra ("My Way"), Hank Williams ("I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry") and The Beatles ("Something"). I think Elvis did an excellent job in song selection for the "Aloha" main performance show. You have to remember one thing...this show was being broadcast to a number of countries where English is not the native tongue...therefore, Elvis was trying his best to present a show that represented the best that English language music had to offer. Yeah it would have been great if he'd thrown in a "Return To Sender," a "One Night," a "Reconsider Baby," a "Little Sister," an "It's Now Or Never" or a "Lawdy Miss Clawdy." In fact the entire show could have been made up of songs Elvis had already done. But I think Elvis saw the bigger picture in that there were other songs that originated by other English-singing artists that were just as good.When you look at the set list for the main performance show to "Aloha" you come away with something like this:

"See See Rider" - Chuck Willis R&B cover
"Burning Love" - Elvis' most recent hit / signature song for Elvis
"Something" - Beatles cover
"You Gave Me A Mountain" - Marty Robbins country / Frankie Laine pop cover
"Steamroller Blues" - James Taylor cover
"My Way" - Frank Sinatra cover
"Love Me" - 1956 hit for Elvis
"Johnny B. Goode" - Chuck Berry cover
"It's Over" - Jimmie Rodgers cover
"Blue Suede Shoes" - Carl Perkins cover / song has become associated with Elvis just as much as Perkins
"I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" - Hank Williams cover
"I Can't Stop Loving You" - Don Gibson / Ray Charles cover
"Hound Dog" - 1956 hit / signature song for Elvis
"What Now My Love" - song Elvis clearly loved dating back to at least the Charles Boyer album
"Suspicious Minds" - 1969 hit /signature song for Elvis
"I'll Remember You" - Hawaiian songwriter Kui Lee signature tune / show benefited his cancer fund
"Long Tall Sally" - Little Richard cover
"Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On" - Jerry Lee Lewis signature song
"An American Trilogy" - recent single / showstopper for Elvis / song fit well for the American Eagle motif of Elvis' jumpsuit
"A Big Hunk O' Love" - 1959 hit for Elvis
"Can't Help Falling In Love" - 1961 signature hit for Elvis

I think Elvis was able to get across nearly every strand, except maybe gospel and folk music, that had influenced Elvis. Even folk music got a push in the U.S. telecast as Gordon Lightfoot's "Early Mornin' Rain" was done after the main performance. I don't think you can really argue with any of Elvis' song choices for the "Aloha" main performance." I think he did just enough of his own hit songs mixed in with a number of covers of hits from the 50's, country / pop hits, and even some contemporary numbers. If Elvis had come out and just done all of his old hits, he quickly would have been relegated as an oldies act...but at the same time if Elvis had come out and just done all new material, he quickly might have been panned as Rick Nelson was at Madison Square Garden. Granted, do we wish he would have dug a little deeper into his own back catalogue...sure. But I'm also sure that Elvis was under time constraints to have the show start and end at appointed times; therefore, I would imagine, the running times and the pacing of each selection would and could influence which songs routinely made it into the set list and which ones did not.


Great post.
We should also not forget nobody expected this to be Elvis last milestone.
From 1973 perspective this was what Elvis had to offer and it was a success then and future wise given the DVD sales years later.

Re: BOXCAR“ELVIS ALOHA viaSATELLITE”BOOK INFO & TRAILER (UPD

Sat May 04, 2013 8:37 pm

I;ve never had a problem with the song selection, but how it was delivered. I would also suggest that gospel was covered (or at least elements of it) via American Trilogy.

Re: BOXCAR“ELVIS ALOHA viaSATELLITE”BOOK INFO & TRAILER (UPD

Sat May 04, 2013 9:36 pm

Good post/points Daryl. Because RCA and Parker wanted yet another live album to capitalize on the event, but one that would avoid duplicating the MSG album setlist as much as possible, the simplest and quickest solution given the preparation time frame was to: a.) cull the live show repertoire for tunes that were part of the show at various times in the years 70-72 but hadn't appeared on a live lp (Burning Love; Something; You Gave Me a Mountain; Steamroller Blues; My Way; It's Over; What Now My Love; Fever; I'll Remember You; A Big Hunk O' Love).
b.) work up some relatively easy new tunes for the presentation (I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry; Welcome To My World; Long Tall Sally-Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On although each of these last 2 had been in the live show, just not together).

Some of the songs listed in my previous post were under consideration for the show, but for whatever reason didn't make the final cut. And of course Johnny B.Goode; I Can't Stop Loving You and the Long Tall Sally- Whole Lotta Shakin' medley were last minute additions.

I am a bit surprised that Bridge Over Troubled Water didn't make the cut.

Re: BOXCAR“ELVIS ALOHA viaSATELLITE”BOOK INFO & TRAILER (UPD

Sat May 04, 2013 10:13 pm

Bridge was in the TTWII movie and LP and also in the Elvis on Tour movie. To me the worst decision of Elvis was not to sing beauties like It's Now or Never, Return to Sender, Crying in the Chappel, Little Sister, Feel so Bad or Love Letters. None of these are included in the live albums from 1968-1973 era neither in the both TV specials or movie documentaries.

Re: BOXCAR“ELVIS ALOHA viaSATELLITE”BOOK INFO & TRAILER (UPD

Sun May 05, 2013 2:20 am

jurasic1968 wrote:Bridge was in the TTWII movie and LP and also in the Elvis on Tour movie. To me the worst decision of Elvis was not to sing beauties like It's Now or Never, Return to Sender, Crying in the Chappel, Little Sister, Feel so Bad or Love Letters. None of these are included in the live albums from 1968-1973 era neither in the both TV specials or movie documentaries.


With the exceptions of It's Now Or Never and Little Sister, none of those tunes were in the live show 69-72.

But, yeah, BOTW was presented in a fake live version on the TTWII album.


I've never understood why It's Now Or Never, alleged to be Elvis' biggest selling single internationally and his favorite of his own hits, was hardly ever performed in the early years of the live show. It seems to me that it should've been a no brainer for inclusion in the Aloha concert(s). Then again, I'm extremely fond of Elvis' original recording of INON so I'm a bit biased. It may not be rock & roll, but it's a terrific record!

Re: BOXCAR“ELVIS ALOHA viaSATELLITE”BOOK INFO & TRAILER (UPD

Sun May 05, 2013 2:30 am

Pete Dube wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:Bridge was in the TTWII movie and LP and also in the Elvis on Tour movie. To me the worst decision of Elvis was not to sing beauties like It's Now or Never, Return to Sender, Crying in the Chappel, Little Sister, Feel so Bad or Love Letters. None of these are included in the live albums from 1968-1973 era neither in the both TV specials or movie documentaries.


With the exceptions of It's Now Or Never and Little Sister, none of those tunes were in the live show 69-72.

But, yeah, BOTW was presented in a fake live version on the TTWII album.


I've never understood why It's Now Or Never, alleged to be Elvis' biggest selling single internationally and his favorite of his own hits, was hardly ever performed in the early years of the live show. It seems to me that it should've been a no brainer for inclusion in the Aloha concert(s). Then again, I'm extremely fond of Elvis' original recording of INON so I'm a bit biased. It may not be rock & roll, but it's a terrific record!


I agree it is a great record, but one which I don't think Elvis would have ever been able to recapture the beauty of in concert. His voice had changed too much. The smooth high register so on display in the early 60's was replaced by an operatic kind of shout which would have ruined the whole thing. I cant stand listening to him do this in the later 70's.

Re: BOXCAR“ELVIS ALOHA viaSATELLITE”BOOK INFO & TRAILER (UPD

Sun May 05, 2013 3:15 am

r&b wrote:I agree it is a great record, but one which I don't think Elvis would have ever been able to recapture the beauty of in concert.

The evidence of what we do have in terms of live performances of this number, reinforces this statement. There were some "nice" versions done during the 70's but nothing close to the original.

Re: BOXCAR“ELVIS ALOHA viaSATELLITE”BOOK INFO & TRAILER (UPD

Sun May 05, 2013 11:03 am

Maybe if he did "It's Now or Never" in the 1968 TV special, he would sang it more often after that. Maybe I am wrong, but first time he sang it was in Chicago, June 1972, which was a very great show, maybe the best of the year?

Re: BOXCAR“ELVIS ALOHA viaSATELLITE”BOOK INFO & TRAILER (UPD

Sun May 05, 2013 11:08 am

jurasic1968 wrote:Maybe if he did "It's Now or Never" in the 1968 TV special, he would sang it more often after that. Maybe I am wrong, but first time he sang it was in Chicago, June 1972, which was a very great show, maybe the best of the year?


Didn't he sing it in august 69, february 1970, january 1971, etc?

Re: BOXCAR“ELVIS ALOHA viaSATELLITE”BOOK INFO & TRAILER (UPD

Sun May 05, 2013 11:34 am

This is a great version of it's Now or Never from the fantastic concert played in 23 february 1970, Las Vegas. Sorry, I forgot that.

Re: BOXCAR“ELVIS ALOHA viaSATELLITE”BOOK INFO & TRAILER (UPD

Mon May 06, 2013 10:49 pm

Daryl wrote:I think you guys are missing the boat. I think the true genius of Elvis' song selections in regard to the "Aloha" main performance is that he practically covered every strand of music in some way that influenced and shaped him as a performer ... Elvis saw the bigger picture in that there were other songs that originated by other English-singing artists that were just as good.


What I note is an artist who for the most part finds his back catalog to be unworthy of performing in the present-day, thus the abundance of songs made famous by others. His own studio work covered every strand of music that shaped him as a singer, musician and artist, but this truth went by the wayside.

Sadly, fans here and overseas didn't expect to see Elvis cover Sinatra, Williams or Harrison in concert, or on their televisions, they wanted to hear the music that changed the world.

Re: BOXCAR“ELVIS ALOHA viaSATELLITE”BOOK INFO & TRAILER (UPD

Mon May 06, 2013 10:57 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:This is a great version of it's Now or Never from the fantastic concert played in 23 february 1970, Las Vegas. Sorry, I forgot that.


Is this on any CD?

Re: BOXCAR“ELVIS ALOHA viaSATELLITE”BOOK INFO & TRAILER (UPD

Mon May 06, 2013 11:06 pm

I found this on the great Elvis in Norway site: http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/closingnightfeb70.html
it was the closing night February 23 1970.

Re: BOXCAR “ELVIS ALOHA via SATELLITE” BOOK INFO & TRAILER

Mon May 27, 2013 9:42 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
PEP wrote:BOXCAR ENTERPRISES-
“ELVIS – ALOHA via SATELLITE”
Image
“Elvis – Aloha via Satellite”
on June 3rd 2013 as part of a
40th Year Anniversary
Special Celebration.

Image
This massive, most comprehensive
450 page Hardback
volume is packaged with hundreds
of photographs
many of which have never
before been seen.

Image
Also collected here exclusively,
are scores of historical memorabilia as
well as the Colonels original
internal documents and
scripts that explores the
making of this historical
event from the early plans
all the way to
the many RCA releases that
followed from around the world.
Image
This, with the informative text
included in this release is
intended to create a
time-travel experience
of sorts documenting the
most groundbreaking
event in the annals of
television history.
Image
Boxcar Enterprises
will finally release its long
anticipated title
RELEASED June 3rd 2013

Click here for a 2 minute YouTube preview trailer

phpBB [video]



Could PEP possibly be reminded that most people on here and adults and, as far as I know, do not have problem with eyesight - and therefore not in need of inch high lettering to understand what we are reading. This isn't a book written for five year olds in order to help them learn to read.


But we NEED to be told about this book...several times over it seems!! :smt002

Re: BOXCAR“ELVIS ALOHA viaSATELLITE”BOOK INFO & TRAILER (UPD

Thu May 30, 2013 1:15 am

memphisking wrote:A quick glimse of a review just posted on the EIN website :smt001

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/book_elvis_ ... oxcar.html


i did not know this bit - taken from the EIN review about this book
... "BY MOST ACCOUNTS Elvis was as happy and exhilarated as anyone around him had ever seen. Once more presented with an artistic challenge, he embraced each day that brought the live show date nearer. He incessantly pondered his intended presentation, emphatically compiling and revising the set-list on a daily basis. Among the musical gems being considered were songs like "The Wonder Of You", My Babe", "The Impossible Dream", "Suzy Q", and "The Twelfth Of Never". These selections were eventually omitted in favor of "What Now My Love", "Steamroller Blues", "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry", "It's Over" and "My Way". Clearly, Elvis was leaning towards the big, powerful ballads as he set out on his mission to showcase his unique vocal prowess and versatility.
"Love Me Tender", the "Teddy Bear" /"Don't Be Cruel" medley in addition to "One Night" and "Lawdy Miss Clawdy" were also considered and eventually dropped apparently for the above reason as well as fear of repetition of the last television outing. Replication of the "Elvis on Tour" documentary is also a factor as "Proud Mary", "Polk Salad Annie", and "Never Been to Spain" are discarded. "You Don't Have To Say You Love Me", "Until It's Time For You To Go" and "How Great Thou Art" all of which were included in each of the three November gigs are also sadly omitted. "

would have been great if Elvis had sung wonder of you.

memphisking wrote:A quick glimse of a review just posted on the EIN website :smt001

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/book_elvis_ ... oxcar.html

look here

Re: BOXCAR“ELVIS ALOHA viaSATELLITE”BOOK INFO & TRAILER (UPD

Thu May 30, 2013 1:30 am

robg wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Daryl wrote:I think you guys are missing the boat. I think the true genius of Elvis' song selections in regard to the "Aloha" main performance is that he practically covered every strand of music in some way that influenced and shaped him as a performer ... Elvis saw the bigger picture in that there were other songs that originated by other English-singing artists that were just as good.


What I note is an artist who for the most part finds his back catalog to be unworthy of performing in the present-day, thus the abundance of songs made famous by others. His own studio work covered every strand of music that shaped him as a singer, musician and artist, but this truth went by the wayside.

Sadly, fans here and overseas didn't expect to see Elvis cover Sinatra, Williams or Harrison in concert, or on their televisions, they wanted to hear the music that changed the world.


What a load of bollocks Doc, you know nothing and your amateurish quips prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Elvis wasn’t doing a concert for you or a few idiots stuck in a time warp, he was doing a concert for a world wide audience, and that’s what he did, something for everyone. A lot of thought had gone into it by Elvis, the programme producers and they did a good job for the time.

But once again doc, you shine throughout with your pooh hooing just about 97% Elvis’ music catalogue in just about every post on this board. If only you were so talented.

It isn't a load of bullocks. What you just spewed out is thoughtless rhetoric. Elvis was the iconic figure that he was not because of his ability to cover other artists in Vegas, but because of his own incredible body of work. The "worldwide audience" was indeed an audience for Elvis because of his own catalogue, not a couple of years worth of covers of other artist's hits from a casino showroom. Are you suggesting that Elvis needed to minimize the musical impact of his concert to appeal to worldwide audiences; that somehow they were not worthy of hearing his best work? Elvis' own body of work was not defined by a time warp -- had it made up the bulk of his Aloha performance, it would have made for a superior concert event. Let's face it, there is a reason why the '68 Comeback Special is so iconic -- and Elvis certainly didn't water down his song selection for that event. Aloha was a professional and safe performance that asserted Elvis' new place as a premier MOR showroom performer -- we can all thank Tom Parker for laying the foundation for such a direction by booking Elvis in Las Vegas back in 1969.

With regards to the book, it looks like a well-done, thorough product. Way too expensive, but certainly thorough.

Re: BOXCAR“ELVIS ALOHA viaSATELLITE”BOOK INFO & TRAILER (UPD

Thu May 30, 2013 8:12 pm

Amazon.co.uk has taken the price off this now and said it is 'unavailable'.......

Re: BOXCAR“ELVIS ALOHA viaSATELLITE”BOOK INFO & TRAILER (UPD

Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:57 pm

I've ordered this.....any views on it yet?

Re: BOXCAR“ELVIS ALOHA viaSATELLITE”BOOK INFO & TRAILER (UPD

Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:39 am

One of the great mysteries of an Elvis concert was why it wasn't a 'real' Elvis concert. A man with a back catalog others would salivate for and he chose to do MOR stuff by other performers. My friend Diane saw McCartney (quite a nice back catalog as well) in Brooklyn the other night. Chestnuts like Your Mother Should Know and Lovely Rita were brought out. He had never done them before. He played like a man half his age. I don't want to get into this argument again, but there is another topic somewhere on this boards comparing the 2 performers. I'd have to give the nod to McCartney from the reviews I've read. Better song selection , better execution of the material. More upbeat again this guy is over 70.