Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Jungle Room Live ?

Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:01 pm

Always been curious as to the "new" material that supposedly would be added to his next tour in 77, do u believe he would have used much from the JR Sessions ? WAY DOWN, ITS EASY FOR YOU ? etc ...... as stated in my earlier post, would have loved to have a FIRE DOWN BELOW cut to enjoy ...........

Re: Jungle Room Live ?

Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:28 pm

Unless he attended rehearsals with the band sometime between the end of June and the middle of August it seems unlikely that much new material would have featured. Even Moody Blue only ever had a couple of attempts (as far as I'm aware), so my guess would be similar shows to the first half of the year. :(

Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:41 pm

The last time Elvis saw most of his band members was on June 26,1977. He was supposed to be on stage on August 17th. The last known rehearsal, if one would even call it that, was in March 1976.

Nothing was going to change during the 2nd half of 1977.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:59 pm

Rob, son, this would've been the best tour, ever. We'll show 'em how wrong they are.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:42 pm

He sang "blue eyes crying in the rain" at the raquet ball quart on the 15th at the piano.

He may have thought of adding it to the list.

Also, since Moody Blue was by then a real hit, he may have attempted that song again.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:23 pm

ekenee wrote:He sang "blue eyes crying in the rain" at the raquet ball quart on the 15th at the piano.
He may have thought of adding it to the list.
Also, since Moody Blue was by then a real hit, he may have attempted that song again.

After the two disastrous attempts in February, I doubt Elvis would have gone near that song again without rehearsal time...
I'm sure his setlist for the August-September 1977 tour was pretty much a carbon copy of his May-June tours...

Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:22 pm

A DJ out of Philadelphia who was with the Elvis show in 76 & 77, told me that Elvis had instructed the band (through Charlie I presume) to be prepared to perform "Way Down" during the August 77 tour. To the best of my knowledge, Elvis did not rehearse with the band. IF the tour took place and IF Elvis wanted to perform Way Down, it very well might have been like Moody Blue in February 0f 77.

rlj

Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:26 pm

rlj4ep wrote:A DJ out of Philadelphia who was with the Elvis show in 76 & 77, told me that Elvis had instructed the band (through Charlie I presume) to be prepared to perform "Way Down" during the August 77 tour. To the best of my knowledge, Elvis did not rehearse with the band. IF the tour took place and IF Elvis wanted to perform Way Down, it very well might have been like Moody Blue in February 0f 77.

rlj

Maybe.. Or it would have been better. elvis was in a better voice in june '77 then in late february '77. Way down would have also been less tough then moody blue i believe

Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:53 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:A DJ out of Philadelphia who was with the Elvis show in 76 & 77, told me that Elvis had instructed the band (through Charlie I presume) to be prepared to perform "Way Down" during the August 77 tour. To the best of my knowledge, Elvis did not rehearse with the band. IF the tour took place and IF Elvis wanted to perform Way Down, it very well might have been like Moody Blue in February 0f 77.

rlj

Maybe.. Or it would have been better. elvis was in a better voice in june '77 then in late february '77. Way down would have also been less tough then moody blue i believe

And JD would have loved it! "Way-on Down" :lol:

Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:01 pm

Steelback wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:

rlj

And JD would have loved it! "Way-on Down" :lol:

Jd loves everything even the sub-standart version of for the good times from 1975 ''i like to do for the good times, because JD likes it''

Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:02 pm

I think the rumours about Elvis adding songs in August 1977 stems from people who have problems with facing the tragic end of Elvis's life. It gives comfort in time of grief to daydream about how everything would turn around if he only had lived a little longer. I believe Charlie Hodge said Elvis would use songs as A mess of blues and One sided love affair on this tour, but without a rehearsal this simply wouldn't have happened.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:08 pm

Rob wrote:Nothing was going to change during the 2nd half of 1977.

+1

Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:12 pm

egilj wrote:I think the rumours about Elvis adding songs in August 1977 stems from people who have problems with facing the tragic end of Elvis's life. It gives comfort in time of grief to daydream about how everything would turn around if he only had lived a little longer. I believe Charlie Hodge said Elvis would use songs as A mess of blues and One sided love affair on this tour, but without a rehearsal this simply wouldn't have happened.

also twelfth of never was rumoured to be on those setlists.
Maybe had elvis not died on august 16, he would have gone into rehearsal hours before his show on august 17, we don't know

Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:28 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:Maybe had elvis not died on august 16, he would have gone into rehearsal hours before his show on august 17, we don't know

Stop it.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:34 am

dennyelvis wrote:Always been curious as to the "new" material that supposedly would be added to his next tour in 77, do u believe he would have used much from the JR Sessions ? WAY DOWN, ITS EASY FOR YOU ? etc ...... as stated in my earlier post, would have loved to have a FIRE DOWN BELOW cut to enjoy ...........

My guess is that he would have added Way Down to the set in August. If I recall right, he performed Moody Blue the week that it stood at No.1 on the Country charts (a return to the summit 20 years after his previous Country No.1 single). It was debuted live without him rehearsing it. As Way Down was No.1 on the Country chart on the day that he would be touring, he might well have thought it was also worth trying it out. I don't think the lack of rehearsal time would have made him hesitate about singing it. Charlie would have had the lyrics, and Elvis would have probably read it from the sheet.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:37 am

Rob wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:Maybe had elvis not died on august 16, he would have gone into rehearsal hours before his show on august 17, we don't know

Stop it.

maybe he would medley it with that song! You gotta stop!. We know how u love medleys

Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:47 am

Elvis was considering introducing a Led Zep influenced version of The Last Farewell on this tour.

Man, as Elvis said, it was going to be his best tour ever.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:15 am

egilj wrote:I think the rumours about Elvis adding songs in August 1977 stems from people who have problems with facing the tragic end of Elvis's life. It gives comfort in time of grief to daydream about how everything would turn around if he only had lived a little longer. I believe Charlie Hodge said Elvis would use songs as A mess of blues and One sided love affair on this tour, but without a rehearsal this simply wouldn't have happened.

Your point is well taken.
I heard Charlie Hodge say the same thing. That Elvis had asked him to have the group ready to play "Way Down," "A Mess of Blues," and "One Sided Love Affair" for the August 1977 tour. IMHO, Without Elvis practicing these songs with the stage band, it is difficult to imagine a professional, even quality performance of these three songs on the tour.

rlj

Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:07 am

dennyelvis wrote:Always been curious as to the "new" material that supposedly would be added to his next tour in 77, do u believe he would have used much from the JR Sessions ? WAY DOWN, ITS EASY FOR YOU ? etc ...... as stated in my earlier post, would have loved to have a FIRE DOWN BELOW cut to enjoy ...........

If Elvis was going to add some of that material to his show, it is likely that he would have done so for the winter 76 tours and vegas season when it was still relatively fresh in his mind from the recording session itself. This is what happened the last time he added a significant amount of new material to the show. The Today sessions were March 75 and those songs were added in the Vegas season that started a weeks or so after. By August 77 it would be nearly a year since he recorded the material, and if he wanted it in his act it would have made an appearance by that point, one would assume.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:41 am

poormadpeter wrote:

If Elvis was going to add some of that material to his show, it is likely that he would have done so for the winter 76 tours and vegas season when it was still relatively fresh in his mind from the recording session itself. This is what happened the last time he added a significant amount of new material to the show. The Today sessions were March 75 and those songs were added in the Vegas season that started a weeks or so after. By August 77 it would be nearly a year since he recorded the material, and if he wanted it in his act it would have made an appearance by that point, one would assume.

Explain Rags to Riches 12/31/1976...

There's always time for a totally random performance.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:19 am

BrianTCB wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

Explain Rags to Riches 12/31/1976...

There's always time for a totally random performance.

Yes, but that's not what this topic is about. The original post asks whether these songs would be added to the tour, not whether there would be an off-the-cuff performance - which of course there really couldn't be of a song that required the band to have rehearsed with Elvis. With rags to riches, Elvis is accompanying himself. "added to the tour" suggests a regular place in the show, not an impromptu performance on a whim.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Thanx Peter, exactly what i meant .........