Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: The Memphis Record

Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:12 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:The Memphis Record was a good release back in 1987. I can still remember seeing it on the record shelves and seeing that it was a new album and not the original versions. Back then there were no marketing campaigns to get an Elvis record noticed. It was just released and fans went to the stores and stumbled across it. That's why it never charted on the then Hot 100 album charts.

The sound on that release was significantly upgraded and remixed using the original masters and some alternates. It was cleverly done by Don Wardell. His best work while employed by RCA for Elvis productions during the 80's. The tracks all had a fresh and new sound to them. However they were also altered by using computer technology. The drums are programmed and laid over the original drums on the recordings to bring them up to date. This was also done at the same time as The Alternate Aloha album was remixed using computer technology programming. But that must have been because they did not use the first generation 8-track recordings that were made in 1969 and instead used second and third generations.

Many of the tracks sounded great like Stranger In My Own Home Town which captured the magic and essence of the jam and the original recording and brought it up to modern standards. But tracks like In The Ghetto was watered down by too much overdubbing. They should also left off the songs Mam Liked The Roses and Who Am I and replaced them with Hey Jude and And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind. Hey Jude is in need of an upgrade from the original dull sounding release.

Having said that, The Memphis Record was brilliantly done overall and is the source that I turn to to this day for the electrifying Memphis recordings. Still though, would love to see Sony do a new upgraded version of those great recordings with the technology out there today to make them sound as if they were recorded today and not 45 years ago. Could have a monster hit on their hands too and a classic album.

ARE YOU LISTENING SONY???????

Actually, the Memphis Record, the Complete Sun Sessions, the Top Ten Hits and the Number One Hits albums were very well promoted. It was done in connection with the 10 anniversary of Elvis' passing so there were tons of media reports and promos out there. I remember seeing them as an impressible 10-year-old getting big into Elvis.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:15 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:The drums are programmed and laid over the original drums on the recordings to bring them up to date. This was also done at the same time as The Alternate Aloha album was remixed using computer technology programming. But that must have been because they did not use the first generation 8-track recordings that were made in 1969 and instead used second and third generations.

I'm sorry, WHAT??? :?

Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:42 pm

I wouldn't mind this one getting a 7" FTD makeover at some point, remastered and complete with the remaining American tracks, if they were worked on at the time.

Not this year though! :)

Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:21 pm

Steelback wrote:I wouldn't mind this one getting a 7" FTD makeover at some point, remastered and complete with the remaining American tracks, if they were worked on at the time.

I agree. That would be a winner, imho.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:46 pm

If you listen to the new Back In Memphis Classic album FTD, that's what it should sound like! Not cold and metallic, which I heard, plus they messed around with his vocals in jarring ways. I do not listen to it; have to be honest.

Or maybe I'm dating myself: it felt like a desecration to me. In the late '70s I couldn't stop listening to 'em: the two of 'em. So, I love what they're doing now. And not that '80s CD clangy sound.

IMHO.

rjm (please excuse my nighttime Kindle Paperwhite errors :oops: )
Last edited by rjm on Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:44 pm

As others mentioned, back in those lean, pre-FTD years, discs like "The Memphis Record" and "The Sun Sessions CD" were all there was of these essential moments in EP's career. "The Memphis Record" even offered some alternative versions or edits (which had many of us puzzled.... this was 1987) and new mixes, plus liner notes from Peter Guralnick to put it all into the right context. That was quite an achievement back in those days, I'll tell you. Most of this is now no longer that important to own. A collector's item, albeit more nostalgic. Since then we have been spoiled with CDs, video and books. Some of the mixes offered interesting alternatives to the original masters, others were merely disappointing ("Gentle On My Mind", "I'm Movin' On", "The Fair Is Moving On", "Kentucky Rain", among others). I listen to this disc every now and then, yet it could never replace the originals.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:19 pm

rjm wrote:... that '80s CD clangy sound.

That's exactly how I find this CD. It's interesting, and while the sound might be clear, it's also horrible.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:01 pm

rjm wrote:If you listen to the new Back In Memphis Classic albun FTD, that's what it should sound like! Not cold and metallic

IMHO.

rjm

I think of it more as bright and crystal clear than cold and metallic. And The Back in Memphis CD whilst mastered very well as ever, I still find the vintage mixes very poorly balanced. I don't know what warm means - everyone calls them warm mixes. But they' just sound like primitive stereo to me - as opposed to the beautiful Nashville stereo of the 1960-64 period.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:52 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:
rjm wrote:If you listen to the new Back In Memphis Classic albun FTD, that's what it should sound like! Not cold and metallic

IMHO.
rjm

I think of it more as bright and crystal clear than cold and metallic. And The Back in Memphis CD whilst mastered very well as ever, I still find the vintage mixes very poorly balanced. I don't know what warm means - everyone calls them warm mixes. But they' just sound like primitive stereo to me - as opposed to the beautiful Nashville stereo of the 1960-64 period.

I totally agree!

Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:43 pm

Marc Haegeman wrote:As others mentioned, back in those lean, pre-FTD years, discs like "The Memphis Record" and "The Sun Sessions CD" were all there was of these essential moments in EP's career. "The Memphis Record" even offered some alternative versions or edits (which had many of us puzzled.... this was 1987) and new mixes, plus liner notes from Peter Guralnick to put it all into the right context. That was quite an achievement back in those days, I'll tell you. Most of this is now no longer that important to own. A collector's item, albeit more nostalgic. Since then we have been spoiled with CDs, video and books. Some of the mixes offered interesting alternatives to the original masters, others were merely disappointing ("Gentle On My Mind", "I'm Movin' On", "The Fair Is Moving On", "Kentucky Rain", among others). I listen to this disc every now and then, yet it could never replace the originals.

Great points, but it is still worth owning for those rare mixes with pre-replacement vocals.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:37 am

I said the other day that The Memphis Record had used computerized drum programming. That was my mistake. The Alternate Aloha did but not the TMR.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:00 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:

IMHO.

rjm

I'm not sure I can tell you what "warm" means, except that is the immediate impression of the new "Back In Memphis" FTD, along with a "bright and clear" presence as well. If it's primitive, I'll take primitive! It''s beautiful listening, and I can't wait for the FEIM volume of the sessions!

rjm

Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:44 pm

Just listened to this CD and I love it. The mixes work very well and the sound quality is excellent for a CD released in 1987. I am just amazed by how amazing Elvis sounds during these Memphis sessions, I really enjoy every song from these sessions. Elvis in 1969 and 1970 was truly sublime.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:04 pm

A fantastic release..cristal clear sound..love it.. ::rocks

Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:42 pm

I would say it's a different listen and a good addition to the FTD's! I have both the LP and CD versions of this! I play the CD now and then and there are actually worthy remixes here, for your own listening pleasure that might be! 8)

Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:22 am

bajo wrote:I would say it's a different listen and a good addition to the FTD's! I have both the LP and CD versions of this! I play the CD now and then and there are actually worthy remixes here, for your own listening pleasure that might be! 8)

A different listen it is indeed, but aren't we spoiled with those 3 recent FTD releases covering the Memphis 1969 sessions? Back in 1987, when "The Memphis Record" came out, this was simply beyond imagination: to have 6 discs of the American Sound Studio sessions filled to the brim, offering not only the masters but alternate takes as well! And it all in superb packages and with top sonics. It was a long wait, but well worth it.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:18 am

Marc! Agreed! I've been longing for those FTD's and the third implement is a true joy and treasure! But, The Memphis Record got to be seen as an "alternate" if you like, dig or enjoy? No more, no less! It's nice to have! :)

Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:52 am

I like it because of the mixes and generally less reverb on Elvis' voice. It needs to be remastered with those mixes intact.