Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

The Memphis Record

Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:21 am

Should I get this Cd? I already have the From Elvis In Memphis legacy edition cd. :)

Re: The Memphis Record

Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:27 am

The songs were remixed for this LP/CD... I don't prefer the mixes on this CD to the originals but if you're a collector it's a decent pick-up.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:32 am

Get it!
The mixes are great, but the remastering isn't so much... but very enjoyable nonetheless :wink:

Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:54 am

JimmyCool wrote:Get it!
The mixes are great, but the remastering isn't so much... but very enjoyable nonetheless :wink:

Well, if you're a newer fan, I can see that.
But when it came out, it feeaked me out!

"Gentle On My Mind" was ruined, to ny ears.

Personal taste, I guess. And how long you'd loved the recordings prior to hearing it, too.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:07 am

Fresh and clear sound..I like it..some rarities like Inherit The Wind which was spliced with an unknown take..Suspicous Minds ending without fade out... fade in..I play it every now and then...but the best one sound wise is the legacy edition, of course..

Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:23 am

He sounds off key on those refrains of Inherit The Wind. I wonder if that isn't the working vocal that was there before he redid some of the vocals on those tracks.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:15 am

JimmyCool wrote:Get it!

My feelings too. I still listen to it from time to time, just to hear something slightly different (not necessarily better) to the original mixes.
I'd say it's worth picking up a copy. :)

This release and "The Sun Sessions" we're my first two Elvis CDs back in the day, so Memphis Record holds a special place in my collection.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:38 am

It's a GREAT CD!!! Go get it! The sound is superb and the mixes are excellent. Plus many tracks have longer fade-outs and there are some alternate vocals too, such as a great one on I'm Movin' On!

Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:45 am

My first exposition to most of the 1969 American Sound recordings was through "The Memphis Record," so I was a little disappointed when I finally heard the original mixes in the late 90's.

For example, I didn't, and still don't, like that annoying second voice on "True Love Travels On A Gravel Road," which ruins the whole song for me.
That odd and hard channel separation made the bass and kick sound weak, which kinda sucks through headphones...
And listen to the end of "Any Day Now," you can even hear the repair:

Keith Flynn wrote:If you listen carefully to the vintage mix of Any Day Now you can hear where Elvis' vocals were replaced and can hear the repair drop in and out of the track. Clearly during this song Elvis' vocal mic is picking up residual sound from the drumkit - when we're hearing part of the original vocal track we can hear bleed through from the kit centred in the stereo image. When we hear the vocal repair section we only hear the drums though their dedicated track, which is mixed hard left. When the vocal repair section finishes, Elvis original vocal track is faded back-in which has the side effect of bringing the drum bleed back into the centre of the sound image.

As I stated earlier, the mixes on "The Memphis Record" are great, but the remastering isn't.
So, loudness aside, the 1969 tracks sound much better on "ELV1S 30 #1 Hits" and "2nd To None," with more prominent bass drum.

That's why I'm still hoping someday we'll get new remixes from the original 8-track master tapes...
Last edited by JimmyCool on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:03 pm

I like the memphis record also. Some of the mixes are great. I like Any Day Now!

I too was disappointed when I first heard the original 69 session mixes and didn't understand why Elvis IS BACK, some 9 years before sounded better!! When I was young of course.

Today I like the memphis record for a different experience of sound. Get it!

Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:30 pm

I don't even have a problem with the mastering. I think it sounds great - very crisp and clear and punchy.

Stranger in My Own Hometown has never sounded better. Knocks spots off the vintage mixes in my opinion.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:59 pm

Indeed a great cd.Has a lot of punch. sounds more updated. And a great collection of songs. I would buy it if I did not allready have it. In fact I like most of the remasters that Rick Rowe did. I would not say it's always better. but at least different.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:03 pm

JimmyCool wrote:My first exposition to most of the 1969 American Sound recordings was through "The Memphis Record," so I was a little disappointed when I finally heard the original mixes in the late 90's.

For example, I didn't, and still don't, like that annoying second voice on "True Love Travels On A Gravel Road," which ruins the whole song for me.
That odd and hard channel separation made the bass and kick sound weak, which kinda sucks through headphones...
And listen to the end of "Any Day Now," you can even hear the repair:

Keith Flynn wrote:If you listen carefully to the vintage mix of Any Day Now you can hear where Elvis' vocals were replaced and can hear the repair drop in and out of the track. Clearly during this song Elvis' vocal mic is picking up residual sound from the drumkit - when we're hearing part of the original vocal track we can hear bleed through from the kit centred in the stereo image. When we hear the vocal repair section we only hear the drums though their dedicated track, which is mixed hard left. When the vocal repair section finishes, Elvis original vocal track is faded back-in which has the side effect of bringing the drum bleed back into the centre of the sound image.

As I stated earlier, the mixes on "The Memphis Record" are great, but the remastering isn't.
So, loudness aside, the 1969 tracks sound much better on "ELV1S 30 #1 Hits" and "2nd To None," with more prominent bass drum.

That's why I'm still hoping someday we'll get new remixes from the original 8-track master tapes...

+1

I too was dissapointed when I finally heard the original mixes. I really don't like the drums on one channel etc. I like my drums centered :) Today I enjoy the original mixes but would love a re-mix!!! :smt007

Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:51 pm

episthebest wrote:Should I get this Cd? I already have the From Elvis In Memphis legacy edition cd. :)

Go for it. It is a very enjoyable cd.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:43 pm

Well worth picking up. Different.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:41 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:I don't even have a problem with the mastering. I think it sounds great - very crisp and clear and punchy.

Stranger in My Own Hometown has never sounded better. Knocks spots off the vintage mixes in my opinion.

I agree as do many audiophiles. Would love to hear what 'Matthew' thinks! :wink:

Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:43 pm

londonflash wrote:Well worth picking up. Different.

'Different' doesn't always mean better. But in this case it is. And 'different' isn't always wanted when the original is good enough. In the case of the way the Memphis '69 sessions were recorded and mixed, this wasn't the case. Great material but badly recorded.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:46 pm

Ciscoking wrote:Fresh and clear sound..I like it..some rarities like Inherit The Wind which was spliced with an unknown take..Suspicous Minds ending without fade out... fade in..I play it every now and then...but the best one sound wise is the legacy edition, of course..

Plus no horn overdubs for Suspicious Minds which makes it quite rare.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:58 pm

I like this CD. I would love that SONY would release another album - maybe TTWII or Country with a new remix, as was done with The Memphis Record.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:00 pm

Me and my Wife LOVE bombing down American Way in Memphis every summer with the windows down and The Memphis Record blasting from the car stereo. It's kind of a custom.

As I said, there are longer fadeouts on things like Stranger In My Own Hometown and Power Of My Love, alternate vocals on Inherit The Wind, Wearin' That Loved On Look and I'm Movin' On, and great mixes throughout.

True Love Travels sounds FAR better without the harmony vocals. I adore the sound on Only The Strong Survive and Any Day Now etc. I REALLY wish this would be reissued as a double album with the remaining 10 tracks.

It was my first ever CD and has always been one that is regularly played despite the thousands of CD's I've accumulated since then. And WHAT a cover! Far better than the FROM ELVIS IN MEMPHIS cover!

Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:03 pm

I have both the CD Album and the vinyl set. It was a freakin' great set when it came out and still is. Personally I like the remix of Gentle On My Mind and Any Day Now. Whenever I am in the mood for some American '69 this is a set a regularly go to.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:11 pm

Alexander wrote: Personally I like the remix of Gentle On My Mind.

Hell yeah! I'm sure that's a different bass track. Sounds far better!

Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:44 pm

The Memphis Record was a good release back in 1987. I can still remember seeing it on the record shelves and seeing that it was a new album and not the original versions. Back then there were no marketing campaigns to get an Elvis record noticed. It was just released and fans went to the stores and stumbled across it. That's why it never charted on the then Hot 100 album charts.

The sound on that release was significantly upgraded and remixed using the original masters and some alternates. It was cleverly done by Don Wardell. His best work while employed by RCA for Elvis productions during the 80's. The tracks all had a fresh and new sound to them. However they were also altered by using computer technology. The drums are programmed and laid over the original drums on the recordings to bring them up to date. This was also done at the same time as The Alternate Aloha album was remixed using computer technology programming. But that must have been because they did not use the first generation 8-track recordings that were made in 1969 and instead used second and third generations.

Many of the tracks sounded great like Stranger In My Own Home Town which captured the magic and essence of the jam and the original recording and brought it up to modern standards. But tracks like In The Ghetto was watered down by too much overdubbing. They should also left off the songs Mam Liked The Roses and Who Am I and replaced them with Hey Jude and And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind. Hey Jude is in need of an upgrade from the original dull sounding release.

Having said that, The Memphis Record was brilliantly done overall and is the source that I turn to to this day for the electrifying Memphis recordings. Still though, would love to see Sony do a new upgraded version of those great recordings with the technology out there today to make them sound as if they were recorded today and not 45 years ago. Could have a monster hit on their hands too and a classic album.

ARE YOU LISTENING SONY???????

Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:50 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:ARE YOU LISTENING SONY???????

I'm betting they read all of your posts.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:59 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:The drums are programmed and laid over the original drums on the recordings to bring them up to date.

What's your source for this?

SuspiciousMind wrote:But that must have been because they did not use the first generation 8-track recordings that were made in 1969 and instead used second and third generations.

I would wager that the original session tapes were almost certainly employed for The Memphis Record.

It is highly doubtful that another complete set of second and third generation tapes [of all the multi-track components] would have existed to remix from.