Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Sitting On Top Of The World??

Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:10 pm

memfisking wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:I believe the reprise was tagged at the end of the song later.. we have no footage of the complete song which makes me suspicious...food for thoughts..

Might explain GR's release not having it. It never sounded edited to me. Why would they have acess to everything in the show, except the reprise. Could be wrong tho.

My thoughts..exactly..

Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:19 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
Mike C wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:Can you also post the whole song..I`d like to see the whole context..thanks a lot..

sorry this part only is on the set i have, i used all angles to make it as complete as possible. the only thing thats on there is the reprise

Which set did you use? Complete Works?

no, a release that came out a few years before that called the complete that's the way it is outtakes

I like the cover on this version of the 'complete' TTWII material. It's better than the 200 or so others we've had over the years.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:35 pm

What's even more odd is that RCA didn't edit out the "if this suit's weren't to tight" line from the official release as it ruin the sincerity of the song.

The could even have used the "extra ending" where Elvis doesn't re-use the joke :facep:

Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:50 pm

Rockin_John wrote:What's even more odd is that RCA didn't edit out the "if this suit's weren't to tight" line from the official release as it ruin the sincerity of the song.

The could even have used the "extra ending" where Elvis doesn't re-use the joke :facep:

it doesn't spoil the song for me, i consider it a classic line of the song when elvis sings it.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:55 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
Rockin_John wrote:What's even more odd is that RCA didn't edit out the "if this suit's weren't to tight" line from the official release as it ruin the sincerity of the song.

it doesn't spoil the song for me, i consider it a classic line of the song when elvis sings it.

Rockin_John is right -- the joke breaks the tension and sincerity of the performance, and a deft edit would have resulted in the ultimate live master.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:58 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:

Rockin_John is right -- the joke breaks the tension and sincerity of the performance, and a deft edit would have resulted in the ultimate live master.

While lots of people always complain that FTD or whatever label shouldn't edit songs. nobody seems to have a problem if this would have been edited. It wouldn't be the ultimate live master because it would have been a edit which hide's the true version.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:18 pm

This was discussed here some time ago, and it was proven beyond any doubt that the reprise from the midnight show is 100% genuine, and that the gravel roads people cocked up by using a tape that they "borrowed" from elsewhere, possibly one of the free downloads that were published a while ago as a correction by the people who put out the box set. I seem to remember Gravel Roads falsely claimed an edit as a way of hiding their blatant error.

I can't remember all the details, but I'm sure a search will dig up the correct thread.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:06 am

Johnny2523 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Rockin_John is right -- the joke breaks the tension and sincerity of the performance, and a deft edit would have resulted in the ultimate live master.

While lots of people always complain that FTD or whatever label shouldn't edit songs. nobody seems to have a problem if this would have been edited. It wouldn't be the ultimate live master because it would have been a edit which hide's the true version.

We are speaking of two different things:

- Editing a live performance by the current artist to create a viable live master recording.
- Compiling unreleased studio outtakes to create a viable posthumous album release.

Hope this helps. ;-)

Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:30 am

I've never doubted that the reprise on the BMG release is correct. The Complete TTWII DVD's back it up too, as I wrote. When the camera activates, he is finishing the song. Then he does the reprise, followed by Polk Salad.

It's amazing people put more stock in Gravel Road because it's not there, than they do in FTD/BMG when they do include it. I'm glad they didn't edit out, "If this suit wasn't too tight." The line was in the movie too.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:08 am

Sony used a multi track source..the Gravel release isn`t multi track..it`s a stereo mix...so we we have 2 different sources.
The multi track source includes the reprise..I have been told..so it was done...case solved.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:12 am

Ciscoking wrote:Sony used a multi track source..the Gravel release isn`t multi track..it`s a stereo mix...so we we have 2 different sources.
The multi track source includes the reprise..I have been told..so it was done...case solved.

Unfortunately not, you are correct in the fact Gravel never had it on his audio recordings that he had, but there was nothing stopping him being the completist he is supposed to be by giving us so called more complete shows etc..

Although perhaps he was just to afraid to try and stitch the two versions together, especially after his disastrous attempt and putting together the "Closing Night 70" CD he put out on his alt label "Graceland Records".
Like the “Closing Night CD” that he put together very much in the style of a badly patch worked blanket, he know another bootlegger, had the complete show and was going to release it later that year! So why release his crappy stitched up version – with the forgotten track that was also available (I see a pattern already?), the only reason to release such a CD is money for little or no effort or outlay?
Unlike the label “Madison” who paid for the complete show and gave us a great release.

Back to the “Sitting On Top Of The World” I had the same recording he had way back at the beginning when he was having problems putting together the audio section of the TTWII Complete Works. The 12th Midnight Show was like all the other bar 1 sent to him in two files, a left channel and a right channel, it took him almost 2 years if not more to get the job done, and he was confused as to why he was sent two files for each show, and as a result only used one channel for each CD.
Stupid inexcusable mistake, for a supposed sound engineer (although I would not call him a sound engineer in any manner or form), but also the fact it wasn’t checked before going to press was a big mistake too, but that story could be made into a book so lets move on.

Anyhow we got the shows released as a FREE download and then Madison came along and did a few shows too, and not forgetting FTD stepped in too.
But the 12th Midnight show remained incomplete due to the reprise being missing, so we get Gravel announcing he was going to release the whole show? Nice or would have been if the reprise had been there, after a little communication with some people I hear that the whole show is available in stereo, including the reprise, but its not worth releasing again as its had a number of released already and would not be fair to the fans to spend more money on the same show! (thanks Gravel)

Fair no. Probably not, but once again the not fair part goes back to Gravel cocking it up yet again going for a fast buck for no lay out. As these shows he originally worked on, he never paid a penny on obtaining them, he used his gifted bullshit to talk his way into the job.

But the story rolls along with this guy, screwing up releases, and then screwing up potential decent releases, real nice guy.
Worthy of your support, “For God And Country” where art thou!

Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:08 pm

E-1 wrote:Anyhow we got the shows released as a FREE download and then Madison came along and did a few shows too ...

Your overlong, agenda-filled posts might gain a few converts if they weren't full of malarkey.

Food for thought. ;-)

Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:47 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
E-1 wrote:Anyhow we got the shows released as a FREE download and then Madison came along and did a few shows too ...

Your overlong, agenda-filled posts might gain a few converts if they weren't full of malarkey.

Food for thought. ;-)

Talking of agenda have you sent your invoice to Gravelroads yet for your efforts in support of this label? :wink: enjoy your lunch

The subject was not brought up by me, although I have an input as I know as do many, on how this guy operates but I am sure he is more than happy with your support. :wink: :facep:

Also Doc, what went wrong with you, from the good old days when you were associated with the decent bootleggers in your sleeve notes: we are aware of your mammoth leap to FTD and how straight laced you became, but why now are you so in favour of a label that produces nothing original? :oops: :oops:

My Agenda as you call it Doc is like you very simple, I am a collector, I have every Gravel/Graceland record release (its called being a collector) so I have every right to view my favour or disfavour to this label. And I have many times complemented him on his artwork, which you forget to bring up, in your smug replies, but that’s al part and parcel for an agenda driven person like yourself. :smt005 :oops:

I have also stated on more than one occasion that a re-issue of Gravels is great if you don’t have the original.

But again all this goes above your head, (sorry it doesn’t does it) you just like nothing more than picking little snippets and then calling everyone Agenda Driven.
Well sorry Doc I am not Agenda Driven I am truth driven, which is something that falls short on the camp of Gravelroads. :oops: :oops: :facep:

So you go back over my post and point out a lie!
Then go and check out the meanings of Agenda and the meaning of telling the Truth.
Then maybe, just maybe you can loose the Agenda crap as its so last year for you. :smt003 :wink:

Also just for your records, I would be more than happy to praise Gravelroads if they ever decided to release an unreleased soundboard (as he told me personally he had 4 but it was just unfortunate someone beat him to it, each time????) :oops: :oops: :facep: LIE, LIE, LIE

I would also be critical of any other label that continued to release this kind of material time after time, but there isn’t is there?

Keep up your work on the Gravel camp, you won't go to heaven, but I doubt you were ever destined to go there anyway. :smt005 :smt006

Long Live the Good Old Labels like, Madison/Vicky/2001/DEA/Venus/Fort Baxter/and the others that have supplies us fans with new material, and Gravel so he can make a quick buck on the back of them.. ::rocks

Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:53 pm

E-1 wrote:... I am not Agenda Driven I am truth driven ...

:D

Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:18 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
E-1 wrote:... I am not Agenda Driven I am truth driven ...

:D

As expected, you run along now like a good little "Gravel Puppy"

Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:30 pm

E1..I think it is fair to say when you have bought this release you knew what to expect..you already had this show almost in complete form on multi track with only uninteresting things missing...the rest you had on Complete Works CD 5...I knew what to expect on the Gravel release...just a few seconds more of here and there..just for die -hard collectors..so please don`t overrate these things..the reprise..?..well a little bit annoying..but the world is still turning..and we had it anyway..all in all Gravelroad stands for top notch quality releases...and you see and hear the efforts being done..