Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

From Elvis In Memphis On Vinyl

Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:47 pm

The best thing ever. Sounds better than on cd. :D
Last edited by episthebest on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: From Elvis In Memphis On Vinyl

Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:08 pm

About a week ago I ordered a (cheap) copy of a german pressing with the orange label. It's probably a 1974 pressing though. Still waiting for the album to arrive.
Let's see how that one sounds. It's been one of the albums I never owned on vinyl. :?

A friend of mine told me he owns a copy that sounds better than the "Speaker's corner" edition. Unfortunately forgot which one it is.

Re: From Elvis In Memphis On Vinyl

Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:34 pm

Lucky, do you have the USA first pressing?

Re: From Elvis In Memphis On Vinyl

Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:29 pm

I haven't heard it, but some claim that the Friday Music re-issue is the best sounding vinyl issue of this album. Apparently it was cut by Kevin Gray, though quite likely from a digital source.

I own an orange label German pressing and the Speakers Corner re-issue. The latter sounds far better to my ears.

Re: From Elvis In Memphis On Vinyl

Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:57 pm

Sebastian E wrote:I haven't heard it, but some claim that the Friday Music re-issue is the best sounding vinyl issue of this album. Apparently it was cut by Kevin Gray, though quite likely from a digital source.

I own an orange label German pressing and the Speakers Corner re-issue. The latter sounds far better to my ears.

Oh shoot, sorry I messed that one up. I thought you have the Friday Music rather than the Speakers Corner re-issue. :wink:

@Iván: Unfortunately I never owned this album on vinyl. Still waiting for my copy of an German 1974 (?) pressing (orange label) to arrive. :?

Re: From Elvis In Memphis On Vinyl

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Lucky, I have one spare USA copy from 1969 on rigid vinyl in quite good state. Pass me your address and I will ship it for you as a little present.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365537963.714972.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: From Elvis In Memphis On Vinyl

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:27 pm

I'm really happy with my Mobile Fidelity version, when I go to the turntable for a good experience with it. Had it for ages, and it sounds absolutely fantastic!

rjm

Re: From Elvis In Memphis On Vinyl

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:45 pm

frus75 wrote:Lucky, I have one spare USA copy from 1969 on rigid vinyl in quite good state. Pass me your address and I will ship it for you as a little present.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365537963.714972.jpg

WOW! :shock: ::rocks

I just sent you a pm.

Re: From Elvis In Memphis On Vinyl

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:57 pm

rjm wrote:I'm really happy with my Mobile Fidelity version, when I go to the turntable for a good experience with it. Had it for ages, and it sounds absolutely fantastic!

rjm


I belive it is one of best source of album From Elvis In Memphis. Maybe the best release ever. Very good sound and high fidelity. That release - from Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab deserves to be release on CD.

Re: From Elvis In Memphis On Vinyl

Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:18 am

frus75 wrote:Lucky, do you have the USA first pressing?


I think so.

Re: From Elvis In Memphis On Vinyl

Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:31 am

Ihave this on the original rigid vinyl pressing from 1969 and a original 1969 German press. Idon't think any cd comes close to the way the original lp sounds cause it's from analogue not digital copy tapes.

Re: From Elvis In Memphis On Vinyl

Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:45 pm

episthebest wrote:
frus75 wrote:Lucky, do you have the USA first pressing?


I think so.

Not yet... :wink:

Re: From Elvis In Memphis On Vinyl

Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:11 am

Go for the Speakers Corner pressing if you can´t find an original 1969 US pressing from the right plant!

Friday Music or MFSL... :facep: :facep: :facep: Stay clear of these!

Sincerely MB280E

Re: From Elvis In Memphis On Vinyl

Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:01 am

MB280E wrote:Go for the Speakers Corner pressing if you can´t find an original 1969 US pressing from the right plant!

Friday Music or MFSL... :facep: :facep: :facep: Stay clear of these!

Sincerely MB280E


Could you elaborate in which way the Speakers Corner pressing is superior to the other two pressings?

Re: From Elvis In Memphis On Vinyl

Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:20 pm

MB280E wrote:Go for the Speakers Corner pressing if you can´t find an original 1969 US pressing from the right plant!

Friday Music or MFSL... :facep: :facep: :facep: Stay clear of these!

Sincerely MB280E


I agree on Friday Music and Music On Vinyl versions.......dont know regarding MFSL.

Re: From Elvis In Memphis On Vinyl

Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:00 pm

Sebastian E wrote:
MB280E wrote:Go for the Speakers Corner pressing if you can´t find an original 1969 US pressing from the right plant!

Friday Music or MFSL... :facep: :facep: :facep: Stay clear of these!

Sincerely MB280E


Could you elaborate in which way the Speakers Corner pressing is superior to the other two pressings?


The MFSL pressing sounds very artificially boosted both in the bass and trebble...it doesen´t sound any like the original pressing. They have obviously played a lot with the eq´s while mastering it...ever heard about the "loudness war"...? This is probably an early example. It sounds like something that was mastered and tampered with just to impress little kids wanting "big" sound or loudness. The Speakers Corner pressing sounds a lot more natural, more like the original US 1969 pressings from the Indianapolis and Memphis plant. It sounds much more 3D and more balanced than the MFSL pressing. Me and a couple of friends of have compared the pressings using the same audio equipment.

The Friday Music pressing is possibly "sourced" from the master tapes but it is a "digital cutting" and don´t sound anywhere near as warm or dynamic as the original or the Speakers Corner pressing. That it was mastered by Kevin Gray doesen´t make it analoge...I wouldn´t waste my money on it...!

Sincerely MB280E

Re: From Elvis In Memphis On Vinyl

Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:53 pm

The 2009 HMV Japan re-issue is pretty hard to beat. I've played this on my rather expensive Technics turntable, and the sound is immaculately magnificent. Better than any CD issue I've played.


Image


Image



The Japan quad issue from 1971 would be my second choice.

Image

Re: From Elvis In Memphis On Vinyl

Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:14 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:The 2009 HMV Japan re-issue is pretty hard to beat. I've played this on my rather expensive Technics turntable, and the sound is immaculately magnificent. Better than any CD issue I've played.


Image


Image



The Japan quad issue from 1971 would be my second choice.

Image


It would be very easy to beat that 2009 re-issue - just get the original US 1st. press from the right plant, no other pressing will ever beat an original. The Speakers Corner pressing that I have will never compete with an original either.

And that Japanese Quadra release is not an original mix and I suspect it sounds like it too...

The question is: Do you own an original US 1st. press or have you ever played one on your turntable?

Sincerely MB280E

Re: From Elvis In Memphis On Vinyl

Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:22 pm

MB280E wrote:The question is: Do you own an original US 1st. press or have you ever played one on your turntable?



I did have the original years ago, but I was only comparing what I have now to the numerous CD versions I have. I would'nt doubt the 1st US pressing is the best sounding version. I might have to track down a sealed or mint copy to hear for myself. I must admit, I really do dig the Japan HMV cover. Beyond cool, IMHO.

Re: From Elvis In Memphis On Vinyl

Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:45 pm

MB280E wrote:just get the original US 1st. press from the right plant,

Could you give us some more details about the right plant? Thanks in advance.

I used to have a rip from the Speaker's Corner Vinyl and it sounded pretty good.

Re: From Elvis In Memphis On Vinyl

Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:01 am

Best LP mastering is an original, handwritten matrix with an "I" (Nashville mastered, Indianapolis, IN pressing). The way it was meant to be heard. "R" stamped masterings less hi-fi. Next best to a good "I" handwritten would be an "H" Orange label pressing. All 3 discussed have Orange labels and are on Thick or Dynaflex vinyl.

And yes, I love the Speakers Corner pressing too...no BS there :)

Sincerely MB280E

Re: From Elvis In Memphis On Vinyl

Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:05 am

MB280E wrote:Best LP mastering is an original, handwritten matrix with an "I" (Nashville mastered, Indianapolis, IN pressing).



I agree. Some of the best marijuana plants are in Indianapolis. Those plant managers have the best jobs in the world. I so envy them.

Re: From Elvis In Memphis On Vinyl

Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:11 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:
MB280E wrote:just get the original US 1st. press from the right plant,

Could you give us some more details about the right plant? Thanks in advance.

Find a copy with an "I" in the matrix. This means that the vinyl was cut at the RCA plant in Indianapolis which is deemed to be the best RCA pressing plant.

Re: From Elvis In Memphis On Vinyl

Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:13 am

That´s correct Claus! :smt023

Sincerely MB280E

Re: From Elvis In Memphis On Vinyl

Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:27 am

I really enjoy these vinyl topics :)
Never checked what plants a record was pressed at but can you see that from just a picture of the label or must that info be read outside label?
(Dont have any LPS here so cant check)
(On black vinyl,between last track on LP and start of label?)


Image