Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: New FTD's

Mon May 06, 2013 11:31 am

i havant received my ftds yet but ive never understood why they use older pics instead of more recent photo sessions and i wish ernst wouldnt play around with the sessions and release them as they were :(

Mon May 06, 2013 1:14 pm

The Stay Away Joe FTD should have an 18 cert sticker on in and released as is, and not hacked to bits and mixed around as it has been, then fans would know what to expect, after listening to it, it just sounds wrong.
good job the bootleggers were there to give us this material as is.

in saying that the unreleased material was more than welcome.

In keeping with the Session's covered
StayAwayJoe.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon May 06, 2013 8:46 pm

davie2001 wrote:Too Much Monkey Business – takes 1,3,9
Take one is fairly just trying to get to grips with the track, but after that the whole lot goes to hell as Felton says this will be 4 then take 4, and as per the CD “So High” it matches up to “When Irish Eyes Are Smiling” which isn’t here on the FTD “Stay Away Joe” this is a nightmare of a release for trying to match up what it supposed to be where!
The subject was talked about on another tread about dialogue being shifted around, well this CD is going to have us asking more questions as to what belongs where and where is take 3?
I think Ernst needs to take a bit more control and put a bit more continuity into these releases, instead of turning them into a CD of its Elvis that’s all that matters. Who cares what take number it is or what bit of dialogue belongs where!

I've just had official confirmation that the breakdown of Track 9 is actually the following:-
Take 1 - False Start (0.15) (Announced as Take 1)
Take 3 - Long False Start (2.14) (No announcement)
Take 4 - Rehearsal only (1.06) which isn't listed (this was first released on FTD's "So High" along with Take 10)
Take 6 - Long False Start (0.38) which isn't listed on the cover but is shown in the 'In & Outtakes' section of the booklet (No announcement)
Take 9 - Complete (2.46)

The "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" line comes from before Take 10 which is Track 15, after the False Start (0.23) of Take 12.

Keith

Mon May 06, 2013 9:00 pm

I've just had official confirmation that the breakdown of Track 9 is actually the following:-
Take 1 - False Start (0.15) (Announced as Take 1)
Take 3 - Long False Start (2.14) (No announcement)
Take 4 - Rehearsal only (1.06) which isn't listed (this was first released on FTD's "So High" along with Take 10)
Take 6 - Long False Start (0.38) which isn't listed on the cover but is shown in the 'In & Outtakes' section of the booklet (No announcement)
Take 9 - Complete (2.46)

The "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" line comes from before Take 10 which is Track 15, after the False Start (0.23) of Take 12.

Keith

Thanks Keith for the info.

I wish FTD would quit hacking up the sessions.

RKS

Tue May 07, 2013 1:20 am

Funny to see a shot where Elvis, or should I say it's character Joe Lightcloud holds a beer can in his hand, when we all know that Elvis neve drank beer, only soda (like Pepsi and Coke etc...) On the other hand, a definitive archiarval photo shouldn't hide anything of that sort, it should reflect the culture of it's moment in history. The original cover shot from RCA only showed Elvis from shoulder up. Maybe because the social ethical criteria of a convervative South in the USA couldn't accept an "Elvis" with a beer can in his hand, (while in fact it was his character NOT Elvis). That's for the past. For the present, I think it's more about some possible lawsuits because the beer label and that some might recognized the brand name of the beer. I'm not sure to understand this puritanism, Oh, and by the way, is it beer really ? If so can anyone reveal the name of the brand? :PDevil is in the detail said someone.

Tue May 07, 2013 4:45 am

Tornado wrote:Funny to see a shot where Elvis, or should I say it's character Joe Lightcloud holds a beer can in his hand, when we all know that Elvis neve drank beer, only soda (like Pepsi and Coke etc...) On the other hand, a definitive archiarval photo shouldn't hide anything of that sort, it should reflect the culture of it's moment in history. The original cover shot from RCA only showed Elvis from shoulder up. Maybe because the social ethical criteria of a convervative South in the USA couldn't accept an "Elvis" with a beer can in his hand, (while in fact it was his character NOT Elvis). That's for the past. For the present, I think it's more about some possible lawsuits because the beer label and that some might recognized the brand name of the beer. I'm not sure to understand this puritanism, Oh, and by the way, is it beer really ? If so can anyone reveal the name of the brand? :PDevil is in the detail said someone.

If you bop on over to shopelvis, the can looks like it's there, to me!

http://www.shopelvis.com/Product.aspx?cp=796_56191_14047&pc=EPCD234

Surely, people have seen this photo. Does not look like a Pepsi or Coke bottle to me. Anyone know for sure?

Elvis_w_beer.jpg

rjm (I do realize that in the film, his character is holding the can of beer, not him - but the title of this album refers to his character)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue May 07, 2013 9:23 pm

As of today, Now Dig This is showing these NOT as preorders so they must be in stock and ready to be shipped! YAY!

RKS

Tue May 07, 2013 10:19 pm

Elvis Shop London also shows new FTD's in stock, including "On Stage" vinyl and "Summer of '61". Great news, just bracing myself for the credit card bill! :?

Wed May 08, 2013 12:08 am

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:As of today, Now Dig This is showing these NOT as preorders so they must be in stock and ready to be shipped! YAY!

Yes, NDT has received the new FTDs and is working hard to post all orders out as quickly as humanly possible.

Wed May 08, 2013 10:30 am

My order has been sent yesterday by The Elvis Shop London (From Elvis in M & Stay Away Joe)

Wed May 08, 2013 1:33 pm

NDT has sent my order as of yesterday. Alleluilaaaaaa!!!!!

Wed May 08, 2013 4:47 pm

Mine should arrive Friday or Saturday "Summer of 61 book, Stay Away Joe & From Elvis In Memphis"

I have a down load of the two CD releases, so I know what to expect, but its always nice to get the actual album's in your hands. plus looking forward to the book.

Wed May 08, 2013 10:47 pm

Mine were held up due to a recently expired credit card :facep:

Fortunately it just took a quick phone call to Chris Giles to sort it out and my FTD box of delights is now en route.

Thank you Elvis Shop London :D

Wed May 08, 2013 10:49 pm

Bad photoshop.....why even messing around with it at all?
This shot is one of my all time favourite of elvis.
Why do they have to make it more blurry so it looks like a cover of one of those damn tv-guides with the blonde girls?
In the original the picture is clear and sharp...here they sweetened it....and also on some part of his hair on the top they messed with it...like somebody painted it over with a brush....so that some part of his air looks like an oilpainting...and not like a photo.
Why?

So unnecessary...it makes it worse.....and there is no need to artificially alter this great shot.
Last edited by matilda on Wed May 08, 2013 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed May 08, 2013 10:52 pm

Tornado wrote:Funny to see a shot where Elvis, or should I say it's character Joe Lightcloud holds a beer can in his hand, when we all know that Elvis neve drank beer, only soda (like Pepsi and Coke etc...) On the other hand, a definitive archiarval photo shouldn't hide anything of that sort, it should reflect the culture of it's moment in history. The original cover shot from RCA only showed Elvis from shoulder up. Maybe because the social ethical criteria of a convervative South in the USA couldn't accept an "Elvis" with a beer can in his hand, (while in fact it was his character NOT Elvis). That's for the past. For the present, I think it's more about some possible lawsuits because the beer label and that some might recognized the brand name of the beer. I'm not sure to understand this puritanism, Oh, and by the way, is it beer really ? If so can anyone reveal the name of the brand? :PDevil is in the detail said someone.

No idea about the can in the photo, but never say never, as they say. ;-)

571031_w Jeanne Carman_Sy Devore Halloween party.JPG
With Jeanne Carman at Sy Devore's Halloween party, 1957
Photo: Earl Leaf

Thu May 09, 2013 3:58 pm

Hey all

I can't see if this has been previously talked about but - Any idea what the FTD plans are foe Kentucky Rain, Don't Cry Daddy and the other memphis masters? Be interesting to see the plans! Only thing that would spring to mind is using either the budget albums (Almost In Love?) or another made up album? That could be good.

Thu May 09, 2013 4:14 pm

The fragment of The Prisoners Song at the start of track 10 on SAJ surprised me.

Thu May 09, 2013 5:30 pm

Anyone else totally blown away with the undubbed masters on 'From Elvis in Memphis'? They are incredible, what a power ! Felton removed -sound wise- a lot more than he added ....
Last edited by memphisflash on Thu May 09, 2013 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 09, 2013 5:53 pm

trouble_jw wrote:Hey all

I can't see if this has been previously talked about but - Any idea what the FTD plans are foe Kentucky Rain, Don't Cry Daddy and the other memphis masters? Be interesting to see the plans! Only thing that would spring to mind is using either the budget albums (Almost In Love?) or another made up album? That could be good.

I'm thinking a fake classic album release like Guitar Man to round up the rest. I'd buy it twice esp if they added the Suspicious Minds stuff to it, where it fits more logically.

Thu May 09, 2013 5:59 pm

trouble_jw wrote:I can't see if this has been previously talked about but - Any idea what the FTD plans are foe Kentucky Rain, Don't Cry Daddy and the other memphis masters?

Two threads, trouble_jw.

" From Memphis To California " >> viewtopic.php?f=1&t=76640

and

" How about a 1969 Change of Habit album? "

Thu May 09, 2013 6:18 pm

Many thanks guys!

I'll check the posts out thanks Blue River!

Thu May 09, 2013 7:51 pm

guidedbyvoices wrote:I'm thinking a fake classic album release like Guitar Man to round up the rest.
I'd buy it twice esp if they added the Suspicious Minds stuff to it, where it fits more logically.

:shock: Where it fits more logically?!

There was/is no better logic than for "Suspicious Minds" to have been included on the already released Back In Memphis FTD set.

Thu May 09, 2013 9:12 pm

The booklet and back cover of From Elvis In Memphis is just one big disappointment for me, as others have said
1) The misspelling of song titles
2) The photo on the back cover
3) Who the hell wants a full colour photo of Vernon and Felton in one of the most important Elvis albums ever.
4) Eight pictures of the front cover spread throughout the booklet.
Compare this booklet to the booklet from That's The Way It Is or Raised On Rock, absolutely no comparison.
This is the first time I have criticised Ftd or for that matter Ernst but it does seem that not so much thought goes into the projects as in the first few original 7" albums.
Come on folks at Ftd £20 aint cheap for these kind of mistakes.

Thu May 09, 2013 9:38 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

rollinson1 wrote:The booklet and back cover of From Elvis In Memphis is just one big disappointment for me, as others have said
3) Who the hell wants a full colour photo of Vernon and Felton in one of the most important Elvis albums ever.
Compare this booklet to the booklet from That's The Way It Is or Raised On Rock, absolutely no comparison.
This is the first time I have criticised Ftd or for that matter Ernst but it does seem that not so much thought goes into the projects as in the first few original 7" albums.

Mine are sill on the way!. Even with the long delay we had to get this it looks like it is not perfect :shock:. That´s a shame as it one of the 3 best Elvis albums. Maybe Mr.Jorgensen has been to busy working on the Stax boxset :roll:. Bye for now :smt006.

Thu May 09, 2013 9:44 pm

rollinson1 wrote:The booklet and back cover of From Elvis In Memphis is just one big disappointment for me, as others have said

Lene Reidel no longer works in the sound engineering department for FTD, she's been re-assigned by Ernst to do outer packaging, booklet and cover work.