Elvis Lost 1968 Film - MYSTERY SOLVED!

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
HoneyTalkNelson

Elvis Lost 1968 Film - MYSTERY SOLVED!

Post by HoneyTalkNelson »

We know there were many film projects announced for Elvis that never went into production. However, after pouring through hundreds of industry trade journals, this is the first time I have seen one appear in studio advertising. This is from Boxoffice: April 1, 1968.

Interesting to note that, unlike all the other forthcoming productions, this does not list any creative talent. It simply says "color."

Tom Diskin, in a 1968 article for Elvis Monthly titled "More News From The Colonel's Office" wrote the following:
Excitement ran high at the recent sneak preview of MGM's "STAY AWAY, Joe". The Comments of everyone summed up to: "This is the sort of thing we've really been waiting for." MGM is releasing "STAY AWAY JOE" for the Easter Season so you can check with your theatre manager when it will be showing in your community.

The long awaited ELVIS'S "GOLD RECORDS, VOLUME 4" has been released by RCA Victor–a great addition to the record collections of fans everywhere. In the meantime, DJ's are giving the hit treatment to Elvis' current single "GUITAR MAN/HI HEEL SNEAKERS"

The Christmas Season Radio Shows presented by Elvis and the Colonel drew thousands of letters of thanks and appreciation. The reaction to the sacred album "HOW GREAT THOU ART", has been especially significant and recently this LP has been nominated by the recording industry as one of the outstanding sacred albums of 1967.

Elvis will be making three new motion pictures in 1968 and the studios are all aiming towards new and different stories. The first will be for MGM, presently titled "KISS MY FIRM BUT PLIANT LIPS"; the second for National General Pictures is titled "THE JACK VALENTINE STORY"; and the third, as yet untitled, will also be for MGM.
Apparently, it was to be a spy spoof in the Matt Helm/Flint style. Have any early script drafts or outlines ever turned up for THAT JACK VALENTINE? Or did it simply get dropped by National General in favor of CHARRO?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by HoneyTalkNelson on Sat May 04, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny2523

Re: Unmade 1968 film - THAT JACK VALENTINE ad

Post by Johnny2523 »

It was an alternate name for charro.
this is on wikipedia
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

Johnny2523 wrote:It was an alternate name for charro.
this is on wikipedia
i watched the movie a few weeks ago loved every minute of it it was something else then the standart elvis formula movies.

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

Topic author
The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

Whoever came up with the theory that it was an alternative title for Charro seems to be way off the mark. I'd never head of this, but a quick Google search has thrown up a lot of information, including newspaper clippings from the time, and also a letter from The Colonel's office.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2506&dat=19671118&id=hlVJAAAAIBAJ&sjid=GwoNAAAAIBAJ&pg=627,4086760

http://www.tcb-world.com/threads/6747-From-The-Colonel-s-Office

Topic author
HoneyTalkNelson

You can not trust what is written on Wikipedia!

Thank you for those links, Pirate.

Topic author
HoneyTalkNelson

I went through the trades from November 1967 to August 1968 in an effort to track the development of this project and National General Productions. Dates are at the bottom of each file.

Topic author
HoneyTalkNelson

Interesting to note that March 11, 1968 is the last reference to the "song-filled comedy."

Something happened to kill that idea between March 11 and July 1. Steve Binder, perhaps?

Topic author
HoneyTalkNelson

Paul Gaer's only credited screenplay is one of two screenwriters on "The Electric Horseman" in 1979.

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

According to one of the clippings above filming was to begin June 17, 1968- Elvis' TV special was taping of course just 9-10 days after this date. Could it be that the TV special caused the film to be put aside or cancelled entirely due to commitments?

Greybeard

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****

Post by ekenee »

If I remember, "Charro", was a movie that Elvis agreed to make as part of the 1968 Tv special contract.

The Jack Valentine script was probably just one of a few projects that was in consideration to fulfill that contract.

Obviously, 'Charro' won out.

And of course, "kiss my warm pliant lips" was retitled, "Live a little love a little'.

Topic author
HoneyTalkNelson

It's mentioned on Jan. 22, 1968 that the film would be released for Easter, 1969. Prior to work on the special, it's being sold as a musical spy spoof. I wonder if Elvis had a hand in aborting another song-filled comedy?

This Italian poster for DOUBLE TROUBLE gives an indication of how it might have been marketed.

I don't believe there is any connection between National General and the Singer special.

Jove

Post by Jove »

Thanks for the post. yes I remember reading about this.
Looking at the list, "To Kill A King" and "Eagle at Escambre" were not filmed also. And "The Quiet Couple" was retitled "A Fine Pair."

ekenee wrote:If I remember, "Charro", was a movie that Elvis agreed to make as part of the 1968 Tv special contract.

The Jack Valentine script was probably just one of a few projects that was in consideration to fulfill that contract.

And of course, "kiss my warm pliant lips" was retitled, "Live a little love a little'.
"Change of Habit" was part of the '68 Comeback deal.

Scratch me now a little lower

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

Jove wrote:Thanks for the post. yes I remember reading about this.
Looking at the list, "To Kill A King" and "Eagle at Escambre" were not filmed also. And "The Quiet Couple" was retitled "A Fine Pair."

ekenee wrote:If I remember, "Charro", was a movie that Elvis agreed to make as part of the 1968 Tv special contract.

"Change of Habit" was part of the '68 Comeback deal.

Thanks, I thought it was one of those later movies.

Topic author
HoneyTalkNelson

Some interesting new information from Variety.

3/22/67: THAT JACK VALENTINE to roll in June with Paul Gaer directing his own comedy screenplay. TO be produced in London by Associated British Productions, Ltd.

6/7/67: TJV may be shifted to Hollywood for filming instead of London.

NOTE: Elvis' name is not yet mentioned for this production.

3/6/68: Arthur Nadel has producer-director assignment on EP's TJV.

3/27/68: Arthur Nadel has moved into offices on Goldwyn lot to prep his initial assignment for National General.

5/16/68: Nancy Sinatra and EP duo in SPEEDWAY and may repeat in TJV.

6/28/68: Charles Marquis Warren has replaced Arthur Nadel as producer-director of National General's EP starrer, COME HELL, COME SUNDOWN.

7/17/68: COME HELL replaced TJV formerly scheduled for Presley and Nadel.

This new information narrows the change from VALENTINE to CHARRO as occurring between May 16 and June 28, 1968. Surely, there must be documents, including early script drafts, for this production.

Jambalaya

Post by Jambalaya »

now that´s what i call an interesting thread. learned a lot from it, never heard before of a possible movie called "that jack valentine". thanks evrybody involved in providing such interesting information! ::rocks

Topic author
HoneyTalkNelson

You're welcome, I'm glad that somebody found it interesting!

Of all the film projects Elvis was considered for, this is the one that got closest to production. I would love to read a script or treatment on it. I wonder if there was one in the Colonel's files?

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Awesome story! 8). Thank you. Topics like this is what makes this messageboard the best around ::rocks. Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

Daryl
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
On Suspension Until Further Notice...

Post by Daryl »

"Change Of Habit," not "Charro!" was the film Elvis and the Colonel agreed to make as part of the 1968 TV Special contract.

1968 TV Special - NBC
"Change Of Habit" - Universal Pictures

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBCUniversal

Wasn't Steve Binder approached about directing "Charro!" during the taping of the 1968 television special by Colonel Parker? This interview seems to indicate so.

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/stevebinder_talksabouttheking.shtml#sthash.ZAdvHEb0.dpbs
Parker offered Binder the directorial helm of Elvis' next movie, 1969's 'Charro', but later reneged on it when they got into a dispute over music royalties from the special. Binder and Elvis never spoke again.
Daryl

3DS Friend Code 0387-8874-3735

Coming Soon --> ELVIS SESSIONS IV

Topic author
HoneyTalkNelson

Re: Elvis Lost 1968 Film - MYSTERY SOLVED!

The publicity photo used by National General Pictures in their April 1, 1968 trade ad was taken for ROUSTABOUT.

http://elvicities.com/~epss/index.php/Roustabout-1964

daylon

Post by daylon »

Nice topic HTN .. Thanks.

rjm

Post by rjm »

Most intriguing! Thank you.

Certainly, the TV Special was in the way, but certainly filming could have been postponed. Clearly, a decision was made by someone to go with what became Charro. I think the idea of "musical comedy" was something Elvis wanted to be through with. The last three films could not be described that way. The Chautauqua film was an ensemble picture, and any musical parts made sense in context. He didn't "break into song." Charro had NO songs in the body of the film. And COH was supposed to be a hip, social consciousness picture. Now, one could question whether they worked, and I would say that only Charro was a total failure. The other two, I watch a lot. Maybe because he looks great, but the humor is fine, too.

So, I would say he finally just didn't do it. It could have been better than he thought it would be. But, when you consider how things turned out earlier, if I were him, I wouldn't have bet on it. I think the Binder influence, or at least his desire to be true to himself after that experience, might have had something to do with killing the picture. They had been putting the Special together for months, so he had time to kill this thing -- by saying no. Perhaps he did. Hope so. Regardless of what it might have been, I hope he did "say no."

Thanks!

rjm
::rocks

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

stevelecher

Post by stevelecher »

I would rather sit through Clambake than Charro, a mess of a movie. Charro is excruciating to watch.

Nice topic. Thank you.

Tony Trout

Post by Tony Trout »

stevelecher wrote:I would rather sit through Clambake than Charro, a mess of a movie. Charro is excruciating to watch.

Nice topic. Thank you.

I consider, "Clambake", way more of a mess than "Charro" by a long-shot. I thought Elvis looked damn cool!

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes!" - Elvis Presley (August 10, 1970 backstage in his dressing room before the first show of the August, 10, 1970/September 8, 1970 season in Vegas).

stevelecher

Post by stevelecher »

Elvis looked great in Charro but the script, the story, and his acting are all very poor. I feel so sorry for him whenever I see some part of It. The theme is good, though.

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

stevelecher wrote:Elvis looked great in Charro but the script, the story, and his acting are all very poor. I feel so sorry for him whenever I see some part of It. The theme is good, though.
Very poor? I don't think so.

Maybe very average, but i have seen a lot of westerns not as good as Charro.

I like the story and the song which echoes that story.

Ina Balin is something to look at.

It moves along at a decent pace.

Production values are ahead of what was going on 1964-67.

As far as Elvis' movies from 1960 to 1969, we saw the decline then a bit of an upgrade towards the end.

Mind you all this took place so fast in under a decade.

Had he only done one film a year, we might not have seen the mistakes repeated as often.

Oh how I wish they taken more care when putting out his films and creating scripts.

Some forget that these films, though not critically acclaimed, have a nice entertainment value to them.