Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Phil Spector movie on HBO; Could this have been Elvis?

Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:58 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:name another entertainer who can just make an overnight appointment to speak with the president and have it granted?


Image

I've heard she was quite the entertainer.

Re: Phil Spector movie on HBO; Could this have been Elvis?

Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:09 pm

eligain wrote:
brian wrote:
eligain wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:Elvis was above the law. It didn't matter who he might have killed, there was no way he would serve a day in prison for it. Accident or deliberately. He was Elvis freaking Presley! What we've seen with other famous stars like OJ Simpson and Michael Jackson we would have never seen Elvis go through. Years ago, I was watching a documentary on television and there was a story about how Elvis once went racing his sports car down Poplar Avenue in Memphis and got pulled over for reckless driving. But when the cop saw who it was, he asked Elvis for an autograph for the cop's wife and never gave him a speeding ticket. The man made his own laws.


I'm not so much talking about Elvis getting convicted but winding up with murder or manslaughter charges and standing trial. Either way, Elvis was playing with fire. If he had accidently killed Linda, I'm sure her family would have went after him with everything they had and it would not have been pretty.


I'm not so sure about that.

I believe Linda Thompson's parents were christians and if it was an accident they probably would have found it in their hearts to forgive him.


Well, the MM probably had a contingency plan for Charlie to take the rap just like they had when that girl almost died from the cough syrup.


Why Charlie? He was the one that was important to Elvis' stage performances!
Why not any of the other MM?

Re: Phil Spector movie on HBO; Could this have been Elvis?

Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:15 pm

Rob wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:name another entertainer who can just make an overnight appointment to speak with the president and have it granted?


Image

I've heard she was quite the entertainer.


She was the intern. She already had a free pass.

Re: Phil Spector movie on HBO; Could this have been Elvis?

Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:26 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:
Rob wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:name another entertainer who can just make an overnight appointment to speak with the president and have it granted?


Image

I've heard she was quite the entertainer.


She was the intern. She already had a free pass.


For a while, I thought this was the Alizee thread.

Re: Phil Spector movie on HBO; Could this have been Elvis?

Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:54 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:Joke all you want. Truth is that Elvis had more power than you realize.

Exactly, he was above the law, no one could touch him. In fact, he was the law!

Chuck Norris fought the law, and Elvis won.

Re: Phil Spector movie on HBO; Could this have been Elvis?

Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:00 pm

If Elvis would have been responsabel for any death, he should have been hold responsabel by trail like any other civilian. People who think Elvis in such a case should walk off or be forgiven are close to dangerously mad.

Re: Phil Spector movie on HBO; Could this have been Elvis?

Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:16 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:Boy, that Elvis sure was one bad dude! Maybe the parents were right in 1956 when they proclaimed him an agent for the devil.

Well, all Elvis would do is get the President on the line. Who knows how many whistle blowers have been hushed for Big 'El so he could keep answering that secret red phone..


Joke all you want. Truth is that Elvis had more power than you realize. Name another human who could walk into the White House during a war time with a loaded hand gun on him and not be apprehended? Better yet, name another entertainer who can just make an overnight appointment to speak with the president and have it granted?


You are delusional.

Re: Phil Spector movie on HBO; Could this have been Elvis?

Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:36 pm

It could be true that Elvis could have gotten away with murder.

However if he was a arrested for a murder he still would have been taken to jail and then he'd certainly have a trial.

Celebrites aren't above being arrested and tried in a court of law.

Re: Phil Spector movie on HBO; Could this have been Elvis?

Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:41 pm

brian wrote:Celebrites aren't above being arrested and tried in a court of law.

But brian, Elvis was "above the law" - did you not see SuspiciousMind's post?

Re: Phil Spector movie on HBO; Could this have been Elvis?

Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:56 am

Justin wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:Boy, that Elvis sure was one bad dude! Maybe the parents were right in 1956 when they proclaimed him an agent for the devil.

Well, all Elvis would do is get the President on the line. Who knows how many whistle blowers have been hushed for Big 'El so he could keep answering that secret red phone..


Joke all you want. Truth is that Elvis had more power than you realize. Name another human who could walk into the White House during a war time with a loaded hand gun on him and not be apprehended? Better yet, name another entertainer who can just make an overnight appointment to speak with the president and have it granted?


You are delusional.

And you're naive.

Re: Phil Spector movie on HBO; Could this have been Elvis?

Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:57 am

Alexander wrote:If Elvis would have been responsabel for any death, he should have been hold responsabel by trail like any other civilian. People who think Elvis in such a case should walk off or be forgiven are close to dangerously mad.


Nobody is saying that he should not be held responsible. What is being said is that he was above the law which he was, and would not have been held responsible.

Re: Phil Spector movie on HBO; Could this have been Elvis?

Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:00 am

Elvis was given narcotics badges to carry illegal drugs wherever he went without being questioned and to make arrests. That's some freaking power! He was also in very good with the Memphis and Los Angeles police departments.

Re: Phil Spector movie on HBO; Could this have been Elvis?

Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:06 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:Elvis was given narcotics badges to carry illegal drugs wherever he went without being questioned and to make arrests.


They weren't illegal drugs they were prescribed drugs.

Elvis had no legal authority to legally arrest anyone.

Re: Phil Spector movie on HBO; Could this have been Elvis?

Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:13 am

brian wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:Elvis was given narcotics badges to carry illegal drugs wherever he went without being questioned and to make arrests.


They weren't illegal drugs they were prescribed drugs.

Elvis had no legal authority to legally arrest anyone.


Yes, he was too. Look up the history behind the badges and you will see clearly that he was certified by the POTUS to carry drugs and to make drug busts and arrests. But Elvis wanted them for other reasons.

Re: Phil Spector movie on HBO; Could this have been Elvis?

Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:30 am

Yep, Elvis wanted those badges so he could carry a truckload of smack and angel dust to all his gigs. And he probably murdered half a dozen people with those damned guns of his, and had Parker cover it up for him. He should've been locked up in prison for life - instead, he got death. An eternity in hell.

Re: Phil Spector movie on HBO; Could this have been Elvis?

Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:57 am

brian wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:Elvis was given narcotics badges to carry illegal drugs wherever he went without being questioned and to make arrests.


They weren't illegal drugs they were prescribed drugs.


Not all of 'em. If one re-checks Guralnick, one can see how very close he once came to a drug bust. He was in no way "above the law, " and he knew it.

He thought his silly badges, which often accompanied "gifts" to police departments, would protect him. He was mistaken, in retrospect. Just lucky and careful, that's all.

brian wrote:
Elvis had no legal authority to legally arrest anyone.


Of course not. But he did take Hamburger James into his custody! :mrgreen: :lol:

rjm


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by rjm on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Phil Spector movie on HBO; Could this have been Elvis?

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:10 am

Do you have evidence that Elvis was taking illegal street drugs that wasn't prescribed by a doctor?

Re: Phil Spector movie on HBO; Could this have been Elvis?

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:23 am

brian wrote:Do you have evidence that Elvis was taking illegal street drugs that wasn't prescribed by a doctor?

These guys just love bashing Elvis on this forum every chance they get. I'm sick of it. Pathetic, attacking a man who's not around to defend himself. But we are surrounded by saints here, aren't we? :wtf:

Re: Phil Spector movie on HBO; Could this have been Elvis?

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:31 am

brian wrote:Do you have evidence that Elvis was taking illegal street drugs that wasn't prescribed by a doctor?


"Street" is an inapplicable term. Some of the drugs were homebrewed by a dentist who made "house calls." Elias Ghanem was a notorious Dr. Feelgood who operated on the fringes of "legality." Two sources have confirmed that he knocked over (at least) one dentist's office.

A gray area, you might say.

And his own FBI file, the last entry, says he was getting drugs through a promoter with mob connections. (It was Vegas, after all. And the road was the road.)

Those are just the serious drugs. He smoked pot and earlier, dropped acid. Guralnick says "windowpane" acid from "a fan."

The majority was prescribed: inappropriately. After his death, a Memphis pharmacist lost his license and his business due to those 'scripts.

The Internet is handy, but books are better: you can Kindle Guralnick now. Searchable.

Plus, there are other excellent and reliable sources, including depositions.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Re: Phil Spector movie on HBO; Could this have been Elvis?

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:38 am

Hey, I'm no saint, I am NOT "bashing Elvis." But the truth is the truth.

He was ill. Addiction is an illness. A lot of people like to make believe it doesn't exist. Or think it reflects on "bad character."

rjm (oh, and he "defended himself" on stage in 1974)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Re: Phil Spector movie on HBO; Could this have been Elvis?

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:49 am

rjm wrote:
brian wrote:Do you have evidence that Elvis was taking illegal street drugs that wasn't prescribed by a doctor?


"Street" is an inapplicable term. Some of the drugs were homebrewed by a dentist who made "house calls." Elias Ghanem was a notorious Dr. Feelgood who operated on the fringes of "legality." Two sources have confirmed that he knocked over (at least) one dentist's office.

A gray area, you might say.

And his own FBI file, the last entry, says he was getting drugs through a promoter with mob connections. (It was Vegas, after all. And the road was the road.)


In other words no you don't have evidence.

Dr.Ghanem and Dr.Hoffman were doctors writing prescriptions for Elvis.

I have heard nothing about Elvis getting drugs through a promoter or the mob.

You know what i mean Elvis getting street drugs like heroin, PCP, Angel dust etc. by a drug dealer.

That is what you implied by saying not all of Elvis' drugs were prescribed.

Re: Phil Spector movie on HBO; Could this have been Elvis?

Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:06 am

brian wrote:
rjm wrote:
brian wrote:Do you have evidence that Elvis was taking illegal street drugs that wasn't prescribed by a doctor?


"Street" is an inapplicable term. Some of the drugs were homebrewed by a dentist who made "house calls." Elias Ghanem was a notorious Dr. Feelgood who operated on the fringes of "legality." Two sources have confirmed that he knocked over (at least) one dentist's office.

A gray area, you might say.

And his own FBI file, the last entry, says he was getting drugs through a promoter with mob connections. (It was Vegas, after all. And the road was the road.)


In other words no you don't have evidence.

Dr.Ghanem and Dr.Hoffman were doctors writing prescriptions for Elvis.

I have heard nothing about Elvis getting drugs through a promoter or the mob.

You know what i mean Elvis getting street drugs like heroin, PCP, Angel dust etc. by a drug dealer.

That is what you implied by saying not all of Elvis' drugs were prescribed.

And he knows that's what he was implying. No question, Elvis had a problem with prescription medication. Street drugs is another matter. I have yet to see anything "evidence" to convince me Elvis was using "dope". It's bad enough that he died so young, I don't get why some people have to make it even worse.

Re: Phil Spector movie on HBO; Could this have been Elvis?

Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:52 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:
brian wrote:
rjm wrote:
brian wrote:Do you have evidence that Elvis was taking illegal street drugs that wasn't prescribed by a doctor?


"Street" is an inapplicable term. Some of the drugs were homebrewed by a dentist who made "house calls." Elias Ghanem was a notorious Dr. Feelgood who operated on the fringes of "legality." Two sources have confirmed that he knocked over (at least) one dentist's office.

A gray area, you might say.

And his own FBI file, the last entry, says he was getting drugs through a promoter with mob connections. (It was Vegas, after all. And the road was the road.)


In other words no you don't have evidence.

Dr.Ghanem and Dr.Hoffman were doctors writing prescriptions for Elvis.

I have heard nothing about Elvis getting drugs through a promoter or the mob.

You know what i mean Elvis getting street drugs like heroin, PCP, Angel dust etc. by a drug dealer.

That is what you implied by saying not all of Elvis' drugs were prescribed.

And he knows that's what he was implying. No question, Elvis had a problem with prescription medication. Street drugs is another matter. I have yet to see anything "evidence" to convince me Elvis was using "dope". It's bad enough that he died so young, I don't get why some people have to make it even worse.


1. "He" implied nothing. I am a "she."

2. Your idea of drug addiction comes from B-movies. The line between legality and criminal conduct has long ago blurred.

3. Read the last entry on his FBI file. For one thing. And for another, I never implied Elvis hung around dark alleys "making buys." For Heavens' sake, he was a drug addict! It's the truth and needn't be sugar-coated.

It's nice to have illusions, but eventually we deal with truths. Bunnies do not lay eggs. I thought most Elvis fans were mature about the drug problem. He was a good person! This blasted "war on drugs" turned an illness into a character flaw.

I have implied nothing of the fantasy you describe. The "street dealer" "on the corner." Yes, that exists, but it's generally far more complex. Do you look down on poor drug addicts? Are they "bad people"? Elvis had the money to get drugs the way he did. Only difference. He was ill, not a bad person!

rjm

Re: Phil Spector movie on HBO; Could this have been Elvis?

Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:41 pm

All I feel on the matter is Elvis is made worse than he is on this thread but by the premise that he had the demented nature of a Spector. not drugs.

To add my 2 cents, I don't think Elvis had a problem with illegal drugs. Frankly what he was eventually getting from his doctors was far, far, worse compared to his dabbling with pot, or acid, As for being a cocaine abuser, even if he went through a period with it, I don't think it played any real role in his demise. It doesn't matter anyway what kind of drugs the guy took, he had an addiction and it's not anything to scorn him for.

What I find alarming is that he is judged on it and so many other personal things in 2013. What matters is that Elvis Presley was one of THE great artists of what I consider to be the golden age of music. Sure his life is open to discussion, but the guy had a heart far more warm than Phil's. Gross speculation on what "COULD" have happened doesn't mean anything. Phil was a fantastic producer, I and others will continue to enjoy his work on a purely musical level, but his legacy won't ever lose the taint of what he did. My hope is that Elvis' work doesn't get similarly tainted, he did nothing to deserve it.

Re: Phil Spector movie on HBO; Could this have been Elvis?

Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:30 pm

It sure seems to me that Elvis' work has suffered such a taint for many years now.