Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Recording Session Sit - In ?

Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:40 pm

Rtn 2 Sndr wrote:The sessions at Sun between December 1954 and February 1955. I'd like to know more about the creative process that led up to "Milkcow Blues Boogie" and "You're A Heartbreaker". What other songs did Elvis and the boys try out along the way? Very little tape survived from that era.

And, while I was in the neighborhood, I would have liked to visit Sam's house when they had birthday cake for Elvis on January 8th. I bet it was a heck of a party!

My fav reply so far, the Sun period is so tempting, also getting a seat in the corner for that MDQ session, just to see if Cash did sing anything that day ?

Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:10 pm

Monday, July 11, 1955: Sun Studio

I Forgot To Remember To Forget
Mystery Train
Trying To Get To You

Imagine hearing that joyful "whoop" at the end of Mystery Train in person!

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:49 pm

The june 1970 sessions.
So many excellent recordings from an excellent singing artist.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:08 pm

if i could sit in the sun studio with a 16 track recorder i would love it

Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:45 am

sjkj wrote:if i could sit in the sun studio with a 16 track recorder i would love it

A 16-track recorder?

Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:01 am

elvis-fan wrote:The July 2, 1956 session when he recorded Hound Dog, Don't Be Cruel and Any Way You Want Me... that's rock history right there!!!

I have to agree with elvis-fan. These are 3 of my favorite songs by Elvis.

To sit there and hear all the outtakes would be great.

Hopefully someday these session tapes will be released.

::rocks

Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:10 am

Mitch wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:The July 2, 1956 session when he recorded Hound Dog, Don't Be Cruel and Any Way You Want Me... that's rock history right there!!!

I have to agree with elvis-fan. These are 3 of my favorite songs by Elvis.

To sit there and hear all the outtakes would be great.

Hopefully someday these session tapes will be released.

::rocks

And who knows what might be on those tapes?

Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:18 pm

I'd like to sit on on the "Blue Hawaii" sessions. They produced some good music which I would have enjoyed watching and listening being made.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:02 pm

I would be thrilled to be at any of the sessions
Last edited by keninlincs on Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:31 pm

Just like Ken, I would be thrilled to be in any sessions, but if given a choice, I would like the Elvis Is Back Sessions and G.I. Blues because this was the first Elvis movie I had seen and it made me a fan.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:23 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Stax Studios, December 13, 1973.

You're joking, John, I know, but I'm gonna take the bait, I want ya to explain before it gets too laaate.....

Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:01 pm

July 5, 1954 for sure. Would love to see, hear, and feel the excitement of a brand-new sound being made.

Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:53 pm

July 2 1956.

Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:04 pm

My dream is to be a part of the Rock'n'Roll-sessions in New York at the end of January and early February of 1956. Some of my favourite recordings stem from those sessions; 'Blue Suede Shoes', 'One Sided Love Affair' and 'Shake, Rattle & Roll'. Hopefully someday the session-tapes are found to the first-mentioned tunes...

Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:17 pm

I would give "the shirt off my back" ;) if I could have been at the Prisonaires very first session. Then I would KNOW exactly what happened.

Johnny's account was corroborated by Sam Philips' brother.

But if it were possible, I would do almost anything to see it for myself.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:59 pm

rjm wrote:I would give "the shirt off my back" ;) if I could have been at the Prisonaires very first session. Then I would KNOW exactly what happened.

rjm

The jury's still out for many on this one.

But my heart says Yes.

Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:36 am

Reconsider baby recorded in the first hours of the morning.Many years ago ive played in rock bands and i know how difficult is made music early in the morning.The version from Elvis is back is staggering in intensity and power,probably one of the best records ever made by everyone.For a laugh i would like to be in the session from 1971 in nashville when Elvis broke the guitar of CHIP YOUNG demostrating karate techniques to one of the imperials i think.And for historic reasons would be interesting to be when when Elvis record Guitar man in 1967 with all the buzz betwen Jerry REED and the colonel soldiers about the royalties.Same with Suspicious minds with Moman and watching Elvis building the song with that incredible band.

Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:31 pm

Those Elvis is Back sessions would be cool too, seeing him adapt after the Army and with that incredible voice ...

Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:20 pm

George Smith wrote:
rjm wrote:I would give "the shirt off my back" ;) if I could have been at the Prisonaires very first session. Then I would KNOW exactly what happened.

rjm

The jury's still out for many on this one.

But my heart says Yes.

You know my heart does. But my mind is not completely absent here. And the reason is that so many of his seemingly improbable stories have been either corroborated or supported. Think of the Governor's Mansion in 1957, after the Opry stop; Gordon Stoker was completely wrong, and photographs prove Johnny completely right.

And something else here: Elvis was a fan of so many musicians, but are there ANY he would visit in prison??? it seems as though their relationship had something that distinguished from most, or really all of his idols. Only Johnny's story adequately explains it. The author of the book was more than skeptical, but he found the goods to corroborate it. (Corroboration does require more than one person, I know. But I think this is as good as we'll get.)

One thing we must remember: Guralnick [b/]made up[/b] the "he read about Sun Records in the newspaper" story. That story is sheer fantasy with nothing and no one to corroborate it. And Peter admits, in the prologue to the first volume, that he does make up certain things for the sake of narrative clarity.

rjm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Last edited by rjm on Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:56 pm

He made up for sure. But in Careless Love he became worse, an apologist of Colonel Tom Parker, Doctor Nick, Freddy Bienstock and others. The book was clearly too long, with so many quotes from other books about Elvis, focusing on almost girlfriend Elvis had and forgetting a lot of Elvis recording sessions, especially from the movies. He wrote things like: "The most notable thing in PHS was that Jerry Schilling fell in love. In F&J the most important thing was he had spiritual talks with Donna Douglas. In Girl Happy he met with President Lyndon Johnson's daughter. He didn't write about the good songs in the movies, almost nothing about the Elvis' life in the sets (6 or 8 weeks). He treated Elvis the same in the 70's. Nothing about his final better moments like the December 1976 tour. Nothing about the few good moments in Rapid City. Instead he focused on the karate movie aborted project, the girls, the guns and the drugs. We all know these were present in the 70 's but he is not original at all in these chapters.
Last edited by jurasic1968 on Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:57 pm

565 Perugia Way. August 27, 1965.

Not a real "recording session" of course, but I'd have had a list of songs and tape & film running and then retired totally filthy rich. :D

Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:19 pm

EagleUSA wrote:565 Perugia Way. August 27, 1965.

Not a real "recording session" of course, but I'd have had a list of songs and tape & film running and then retired totally filthy rich. :D

I think we ALL want that one! But another 1965 moment was the interview he gave to the newspaper inside Graceland. He sounded eloquent and extremely honest. "I withdraw not from my fans, but from myself." And something else about the lure of The Night.

That's what I would like to see if the DeLorean can't take me further back. Now, it's not a "recording session" but . . . if the reporter had a tape recorder . . . hmm.

rjm

Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:47 pm

Right, but in August 1965 Elvis was filming PHS, one of the worst movies and soundtracks of his career.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:36 pm

January 10th, 56... Studio B. :D

Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:26 am

My dream would be to have a time machine and cloaking device and go back and secretly walk around filming everything.

Then come here and post short clips for everybody's requests.

just to see those sessions Elvis singing hound dog and the rest and devil in disguise its now or ne er allc sm etc

And of course 69 and 70 imagine those early 70 shows wow.