Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Vancouver Canada Press Conference 1957--Or perhaps Seattle?

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:10 am

Something is not quite right about the Vancouver Canada Press Conference in 1957.

Anyone who has the LP or CD of this press conference knows it is one of the longest he ever gave.

It's a nice relaxed "conversation" with friends, or at least that's the way it comes off.

Clocking in at around 25 minutes, it had to have been a little longer since I have detected times when Red Robinson shut off his recorder.

There are a few edited parts, so it was perhaps a few minutes longer.

My detective work caught something I never noticed before.

I had always read and thought that this recording took place in Vancouver on August 31, 1957.

Now I think it may be a compsite recording from perhaps, Tacoma, Seattle, and Vancouver.

About a minute into the conference someone asks Elvis how he winds down after a show.

Elvis----"......take for instance last night, I had a show in Vancouver" WAIT A SECOND.

This press conference is supposed to be just before his show in Vancouver!

Here is his schedule according to Alan Hansen.

Vancouver Aug . 31, 1957.

Pre show Press conference and then 8pm show.

Sept. 1st, 1957

Afternoon show in Tacoma and evening show in Seattle, and 2 press conferences.

I assume one in each city.

So, for Elvis to say what he said at that press conference it would have to be the day after he was in Vancouver.

It would not be out of the question for Red Robinson to come down to Seattle and attend the press conference there and do a little recording.

Or perhaps he obtained a tape from a reporter or DJ from the Seattle area and basically took credit for himself as his recording and
just added it to what he already had taped.

Anyone else notice this little mystery.

Re: Vancouver Canada Press Conference 1957--Or perhaps Seatt

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:48 am

I listened to the interview in full tonight... I can't explain why he mentions playing Vancouver the night before... Canada is mentioned later in the interview but not by Elvis... it's strange that Red is so predominant throughout the interview if it wasn't recorded in Vancouver... interesting to consider the possibility that it wasn't recorded in Vancouver...

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:02 am

elvis-fan wrote:I listened to the interview in full tonight... I can't explain why he mentions playing Vancouver the night before... Canada is mentioned later in the interview but not by Elvis... it's strange that Red is so predominant throughout the interview if it wasn't recorded in Vancouver... interesting to consider the possibility that it wasn't recorded in Vancouver...

I have a feeling 90% of it is from Canada, but I believe there is a small portion with Elvis' comment about the previous night and then after several minutes there
is an abrupt break, (edit or tape stop) that happens. I think that portion could be from Tacoma's or Seattle's press conferences.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:38 am

It's no mystery. The press interview was taped in Vancouver on 8-31-1957. Elvis simply misspoke. He meant to say Spokane, where he played the night before.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:08 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:It's no mystery. The press interview was taped in Vancouver on 8-31-1957. Elvis simply misspoke. He meant to say Spokane, where he played the night before.

Of course that's possible. Supposedly, he was in Vancouver right when he answered that question, but no one questioned him.

It is very strange. I don't think even Elvis could make that type of mistake.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:32 pm

It's all from Vancouver! 8)

Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:22 pm

ian wrote:It's all from Vancouver! 8)

And how do you know this? Source?

Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:23 am

UPDATE: I emailed Red Robinson.

He replied back very quickly.

He said the interview is all from Canada and he never toured with him into the USA, so the recording could not have come from Washington.

I still find it strange that a 22 year old guy could literally forget where he was on the second day of a tour.

Anyway. So much for this case, for it is closed.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:16 am

Definitely all in Vancouver..........................I got that interview directly from Red Robinson in 1970 and then gave a copy to Rex Martin and the rest was history - it was on bootlegs and it is such a well known interview.............I'm still finding different pictures from that press conference......a new one was in the Vancouver Sun last August-I'd have to dig that one out of the collection...........I love 1957....................Vancouver is just about 50 miles from me but across the pond...........unfortunately I was only 9 when Elvis was in Vancouver and too young to go to the show myself.......I was at the PNE the day before he was there and when we left on the 31st cried on the ferry all the way home....."I wanna see Elvis!".............I'll never forget the PNE the day before - ALL Elvis music everywhere!!!

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:26 am

Barbie wrote:Definitely all in Vancouver..........................I got that interview directly from Red Robinson in 1970 and then gave a copy to Rex Martin and the rest was history - it was on bootlegs and it is such a well known interview.............I'm still finding different pictures from that press conference......a new one was in the Vancouver Sun last August-I'd have to dig that one out of the collection...........I love 1957....................Vancouver is just about 50 miles from me but across the pond...........unfortunately I was only 9 when Elvis was in Vancouver and too young to go to the show myself.......I was at the PNE the day before he was there and when we left on the 31st cried on the ferry all the way home....."I wanna see Elvis!".............I'll never forget the PNE the day before - ALL Elvis music everywhere!!!

Thanks Barbie, your first hand memories are always cool to read.
No one had ever in all these years make mention of this little discrepency
in what Elvis said so I really wondered about it.
My Aunt and Grandma went to the Portland show a few days later.
They took no pictures and have very little memories since it was so long ago.
And a cousin met Elvis just as he was coming out of the old Multnomah Hotel elevator, I believe. This is according to my aunt.
Got to talk to him and got his autograph.
Of course the Oregonian put him on the front page and put out an "extra" which I still have not been able to locate.
Elvis always seemed to do well in the pacific northwest.
I too love 1957, and wish one day they could find some footage and audio and match it up like they did with the Tupelo show.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:47 am

Barbie wrote:Definitely all in Vancouver..........................I got that interview directly from Red Robinson in 1970 and then gave a copy to Rex Martin and the rest was history - it was on bootlegs and it is such a well known interview.............I'm still finding different pictures from that press conference......a new one was in the Vancouver Sun last August-I'd have to dig that one out of the collection...........I love 1957....................Vancouver is just about 50 miles from me but across the pond...........unfortunately I was only 9 when Elvis was in Vancouver and too young to go to the show myself.......I was at the PNE the day before he was there and when we left on the 31st cried on the ferry all the way home....."I wanna see Elvis!".............I'll never forget the PNE the day before - ALL Elvis music everywhere!!!

Thanks for the confirmation -- exactly as I thought.

Did Red share with you his tape of the show?

Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:02 am

ekenee wrote:No one had ever in all these years make mention of this little discrepency ...

It's been noticed before, perhaps most recently here:

990801_Elvis Word For Word p81.JPG
Jerry Osborne, Elvis Word for Word: What He Said, Exactly How He Said It (Port Townsend: Jerry Osborne Enterprises, August 1, 1999)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:26 am

Yes, Red also sent the live stuff from the show with the interview........................so sad his batteries were running LOW!!!! He was unable to tape the whole show!!!!!!....................and It was such a WILD short show in Vancouver....................Red's the best!!!! Still going strong and has a radio show every Sunday - great trivia and he's met SO many rock stars over the years!!!!!!!!!!!

Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:29 am

Barbie wrote:Yes, Red also sent the live stuff from the show with the interview........................so sad his batteries were running LOW!!!! He was unable to tape the whole show!!!!!!....................and It was such a WILD short show in Vancouver....................Red's the best!!!! Still going strong and has a radio show every Sunday - great trivia and he's met SO many rock stars over the years!!!!!!!!!!!

There are rumours that someone taped the entire show ...

Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:33 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Barbie wrote:Yes, Red also sent the live stuff from the show with the interview........................so sad his batteries were running LOW!!!! He was unable to tape the whole show!!!!!!....................and It was such a WILD short show in Vancouver....................Red's the best!!!! Still going strong and has a radio show every Sunday - great trivia and he's met SO many rock stars over the years!!!!!!!!!!!

There are rumours that someone taped the entire show ...

Do you know who that someone is?

Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:26 am

Barbie, I don't recall seeing this interview on bootlegs.

The spoken word as-in Elvis not singing, I don't believe is protected by copyright in the same way, so I think many of those Elvis speaks kinds of releases were legit.

RCA retained rights to Elvis' singing voice only, that's why many of the interview records were widely available in stores.

I recall the first time I heard this was in 1977 I believe, and it was on an LP, "the Elvis tapes", which was on a label called, "the great northwest record company".

That album was in retail stores all over America, unlike bootlegs.

Now I have it on cd.