Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Long Tall Sally/Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On/Mama Don't

Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:03 pm

r&b wrote:
midnightx wrote:
r&b wrote:Despite what some may believe here, Elvis did not rock in the 70's. I've seen rockabilly house bands that rocked better and harder. He had one of the best bands in the world and he preferred to drown them out with ghastly horns and chorus singers.

I don't recall ever seeing a post claiming that Elvis "rocked" hard in the 1970s.

That said, there are plenty of examples of Elvis' stage ensemble from the 1970/1971 period laying down a heavy groove -- and those infrequent moments were not intended to dominate his eclectic set list. Additionally, while he had some fine players in his band, it is probably a stretch to assert that he had "one of the best bands in the world."

Oh? Maybe I took this comment too literally in the EIC 1977 thread:
i don't care what others say elvis rocked!

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the concept of irony.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:06 pm

midnightx wrote:
r&b wrote:
midnightx wrote:
r&b wrote:Despite what some may believe here, Elvis did not rock in the 70's. I've seen rockabilly house bands that rocked better and harder. He had one of the best bands in the world and he preferred to drown them out with ghastly horns and chorus singers.

I don't recall ever seeing a post claiming that Elvis "rocked" hard in the 1970s.

That said, there are plenty of examples of Elvis' stage ensemble from the 1970/1971 period laying down a heavy groove -- and those infrequent moments were not intended to dominate his eclectic set list. Additionally, while he had some fine players in his band, it is probably a stretch to assert that he had "one of the best bands in the world."

i didnt meant it as irony thou..

Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:13 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
midnightx wrote:
r&b wrote:
midnightx wrote:

i didnt meant it as irony thou..

Again, if you couldn't spot the irony in my EIC statement, then you are unfamiliar with the concept.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:26 pm

midnightx wrote:
fn2drive wrote:He wanted to be a sophisticated contemporary artist not an oldies act.

One listen to his 1973 Stax recordings suggests otherwise.

Interesting ...

I always believed that the 1973 Stax recordings produced some of Elvis' finest later work !

Promised Land
Loving Arms
I've Got A Thing About You Baby
Just A Little Bit
Are You Sincere ?

Just too name a few ...

Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:07 pm

It appears when listening to the 1970 rehearsals that Elvis seems somewhat embarrassed by his old material. The stuff that made him a star in the first place. Not sure why but it is very true that Elvis did want to move on and develope and a singer while his 50's cohorts such as Jerry Lee/Chuck/Richard were seen as nostalgic acts.

Elvis had many hits to choose from and could have easily left out Hound Dog etc and put in some of the other ones to please the crowd from time to time. Ive noticed that singers with a lot of hits from that era, ones developed as singers did medleys such as Cliff Richard, maybe this is a time constraint issue.

As for the medley in question, I never really liked it because they are not would be considered Elvis' own songs. Whole Lot Of Shakin, Mama Dont Dance, Flip Flop and Fly should have been replaced with Elvis' own songs such as Hard Headed Woman, Got A Lot Of Living To Do etc

Of course Elvis did a medley of Shake Rattle & Roll/Flip Flop and Fly 17 years earlier so maybe he remembered that!!
Last edited by nod3million on Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:25 pm

Bobby Darin did not want to do Splish Splash, Dream Lover, in his act anymore etc once Mack The Knife became a huge hit. According to legend, Elvis told him not to forget the songs or the fans that made him famous. Darin kept them in the act and if you saw him in concert in the 70's, he sat at the piano and banged out a long rockin version of Splish Splash. It appears Elvis did not take his own advice that seriously.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:43 pm

r&b wrote:Bobby Darin did not want to do Splish Splash, Dream Lover, in his act anymore etc once Mack The Knife became a huge hit. According to legend, Elvis told him not to forget the songs or the fans that made him famous. Darin kept them in the act and if you saw him in concert in the 70's, he sat at the piano and banged out a long rockin version of Splish Splash. It appears Elvis did not take his own advice that seriously.

Yes, but Darin generally used Splish Splash as a way into a rock n roll medley that included Johnny B Goode, Roll Over Beethoven etc.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:13 pm

minkahed wrote:
midnightx wrote:
fn2drive wrote:He wanted to be a sophisticated contemporary artist not an oldies act.

Interesting ...

I always believed that the 1973 Stax recordings produced some of Elvis' finest later work !

Promised Land
Loving Arms
Just A Little Bit
Are You Sincere ?

Just too name a few ...

But were those the results of a "sophisticated contemporary" artist?

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:19 pm

minkahed wrote:I always believed that the 1973 Stax recordings produced some of Elvis' finest later work !

Promised Land
Loving Arms
Just A Little Bit
Are You Sincere ?

Just too name a few ...

Promised Land and Loving Arms are great results. I've Got A Thing About You Baby is marred by a weak vocal otherwise it would also be a great result. Just A Little Bit is quite dull and overshadowed by Jerry Lee Lewis' cooking version from the same year which trumps Elvis' in every way. Are You Sincere? is a nice distraction but again, Elvis' voice isn't on form (plus it's not from the Stax sessions).

Generally the Stax sessions are overrated but contain some fine individual results.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:20 pm

midnightx wrote:
minkahed wrote:
midnightx wrote:

Interesting ...

Promised Land
Loving Arms
Just A Little Bit
Are You Sincere ?

Just too name a few ...

But were those the results of a "sophisticated contemporary" artist?

Sure. He didn't even mention

My Boy
Love Song of the Year
Three Corn Patches
Mr. Songman
Spanish Eyes

Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:10 am

The bobsy twins miss the point completely.

Elvis was a contemporary artist.

He wasn't like some of the other 50's acts that did just oldies at his shows.

He was doing contemporary stuff.

Elvis did keep growing as an artist.

He was at a crossroads at about 1975.

If he had only been cast as the $6 million dollar man, it would have saved his life.

Or purhaps he should have auditioned for lead singer of the Partridge Family.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:32 am

ekenee wrote:Elvis was a contemporary artist.

No, in 1973, Elvis was a MOR, adult-contemporary artist with a portion of his current studio work bordering on easy-listening. He was miles away from being classified as "contemporary" and his Stax output clearly proves the point.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:05 am

midnightx wrote:

No, in 1973, Elvis was a MOR, adult-contemporary artist with a portion of his current studio work bordering on easy-listening. He was miles away from being classified as "contemporary" and his Stax output clearly proves the point.

Tomato-tomahtoe.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:06 am

ekenee wrote:
midnightx wrote:

Tomato-tomahtoe.

Not even close.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:16 am

ekenee wrote:
midnightx wrote:

Tomato-tomahtoe.

Then you obviously have trouble identifying tomatoes.

Your use of "contemporary" is incorrect. The term "contemporary" in this context would suggest that Elvis was recording and performing music that was appropriate for the times; making music that was relevant to popular trends at that time. His albums and live concerts proved that he was not doing any of that. A contemporary artist stays with the changes and adapts to the new sounds and styles by continuing to move forward. Elvis did not move forward. As midnightx suggests, the term "Adult-Contemporary" better identifies Elvis' style during those years.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:18 am

Semantics

Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:48 am

Remember folks, come December 1973: "this is just a hobby to me".

I believe that was the slogan of "sophisticated contemporary" artists everywhere.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:49 am

ekenee wrote:Semantics

Is English your second language? I am genuinely interested since that would explain why you are having a hard time grasping this.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:49 am

It would have been an ideal time and place to *become* such an artist. Others were literally wresting control in order to make their own funky, personally and socially meaningful sounds at that time. (He didn't need to write the words and melodies; there were plenty of people who would have been glad to do that.)

His bratty comment about his "hobby" shows how he squandered the opportunity.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:42 am

Justin wrote:
ekenee wrote:Semantics

Is English your second language? I am genuinely interested since that would explain why you are having a hard time grasping this.

Just-in, yer a dick.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:52 am

Matthew wrote:Remember folks, come December 1973: "this is just a hobby to me".

I believe that was the slogan of "sophisticated contemporary" artists everywhere.

What is with everyone suddenly wanting to "label" Elvis.

In 1953 Elvis didn't want to be labeled.

In 1973, I am sure he did want it either.

People act as if Elvis should have been trying be somebody else. Somebody less successful.

Elvis was himselvis.

Don't put labels on him, and Matthew, I am not just speaking to you here.

Elvis reinvented himself several times, while still staying true to himself.

He was very very successful in what he was doing in the 70's.

In some ways, the jumpsuit Elvis is way more popular than the rebel 50's Elvis.

That speaks volumes. That jumpsuit image is part of 70's pop culture just as much as the gold lame' jacket.

Elvis wasn't about to be pigeon holed into something that resembled the modern artist.
He created a persona that was very very marketable.
What more could you ask for in an entertainer.

Sometimes you guys pick things apart way too much.