Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Long Tall Sally/Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On/Mama Don't Danc

Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:49 am

I always loved this upbeat medley from "Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis".

I remember hearing him doing similar medleys on other occasions, but I forget when.

During what other shows did Elvis do this type of Medley?

Re: Long Tall Sally/Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On/Mama Don't

Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:17 pm

elvis8atari wrote:I always loved this upbeat medley from "Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis".

I remember hearing him doing similar medleys on other occasions, but I forget when.

When Elvis began to not care about his classic early music, medleys became more and more prevalent. The one you describe took shape in 1973, when Emory Gordy, Jr. was the TCB Band's bass player.

Gordy took over with the first Presley tour of the year on April 22 in Phoenix, and stayed for the next five months, until the infamous closing gig at the Hilton on September 3. One of the reasons Gordy quit after just five months was because of the low performance standard of the Presley show, for example the shoving of classic rock songs into "medleys."

In a 1992 Musician interview Emory remembered:

The tempos were horrible. My big letdown was when we did a medley of "Don't Be Cruel," "Teddy Bear" and "Hound Dog"... Elvis did this whole karate thing while Tutt would do the drums and toms and all that.

Gordy was a world-class studio musician. He knew a thing or two about making great music.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:09 pm

elvis8atari wrote:I always loved this upbeat medley from "Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis".

I saw him do this same medley in the summer of '73, Uniondale, NY but unlike yourself, I never cared for this condensed watered down rock and roll. It always felt like he was doing it as part of an obligation to do some rock and roll and get it out the way. Rushed and no heart in it at all.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:14 pm

To me most performances of the Rock'n Roll Medley in 1973 sound quite lackluster. However, the version presented on "Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis" seem to be performed with a little more care. To me it sounds ok, no big thing, just a little reminder of the past.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:20 pm

I do remember when hearing this on the Memphis album a year later, I thought it was more lively than 1973, but still nothing to write home about considering how other artists treat good rock and roll music. To me, for Elvis, it was like a cop out on the music he helped make famous. And I never cared for Your Mama Cant Dance, Most rock fans thought that song was a joke. Why did he bother with that ?

Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:44 pm

To answer your question more precise, there is an excellent, great sounding "Medley" performance found on the recent FTD, "Forty Eight Hours To Memphis" that I think you'll enjoy.

Some people like it, some don't, I stay positive and enjoy what Elvis left behind.

Some of his biggest and greatest records were being treated with no respect and anal tempos as early as 1970, so I don't wanna hear this "cop out", "watered down" vile crap ... "Hound Dog", "Don't Be Cruel" and "All shook Up" were already a parody in Vegas in '70, so forget that !!!

On my way out, but I'll list some other "Medley" versions when I get back, that is, if Liberace and others doesn't first and ruin your thread ... :wink:

Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:58 pm

I confess that I have always liked the medley as presented in Memphis in 1974. It's well put together, features a couple of new songs (Ok, Flip Flop and Fly was done live in the 50s, but hadn't been recorded) and Elvis seems committed - as he does during most of that show. It certainly isn't a throwaway like Don't Be Cruel/Teddy Bear, and rocks considerably harder than the Long Tall Sally/Whole Lotta Shakin medley from Aloha.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:08 pm

I'm not a fan of medleys in general especially when classics songs are featured in them with only one or two verses. That' being said, when I saw Rick Nelson in '84, he did a rocking medley of Stood Up/Waiting In School, Full versions, one song leading into the other. Totally satisfying and rocking with full throttle.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:48 pm

He did the medleys at the shows I saw in Vegas in 1973, they certainly sounded better live than what they do on record. But even so, I remember thinking at the time that he was just rushing through them, so that he could get back to the songs that he really wanted to sing such as My Boy and How Great Thou Art which is where, to the dissapointment of us original rock'n'roll fans, he really wanted to be at that stage of his carreer.

In fairness to Elvis he was at least trying to move on, unlike his contemparies from the 50's who's whole shows were based on their original hits, in a new direction. (Even though we may not have liked that new direction)

As others have said, I do agree that the medley from Memphis in '74 , Elvis does sound more commited and it does 'rock' harder.
Last edited by Chris Roberts on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:27 pm

He presented his hits in a medley in the '68 TV show. Yes, he attacked them at that time, but even at that moment of rebirth he segregated the Hound Dogs and Don't Be Cruels from older songs he respected, like That's All Right and Trying To Get To You.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:43 pm

Good point, Jock, but that was an exciting medley. The medleys in 73 and 74 are rushed and far less committed than people here are giving credit for. Just a way to get those songs over with quicker than ever.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:59 pm

At issue, though, is the concept of the medley itself. There was a Life Magazine piece on Elvis a long time ago, where one of the Rolling Stones (IIRC) stated something to the effect that the death of an artist can be traced to the point where he/she first performs hits in a medley.

No matter how passionately Elvis delivered Hound Dog in 1968, he did not deem the song worthy of being performed in its entirety. He directed the time elsewhere.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:45 pm

minkahed wrote:Some of his biggest and greatest records were being treated with no respect and anal tempos as early as 1970, so I don't wanna hear this "cop out", "watered down" vile crap ... "Hound Dog", "Don't Be Cruel" and "All shook Up" were already a parody in Vegas in '70 ...

"Anal tempos"? That's a new one.

The performances we have of those examples are light-years from what we hear in 1973. That's not "vile crap," that's the truth.

In 1970, Presley was rushing the tempos, but still singing the songs with panache. Three years later it is exactly as others have stated on this thread -- uninterested, perfunctory and extremely brief renditions. Again, this is why Gordy left the band.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:48 pm

Chris Roberts wrote:He did the medleys at the shows I saw in Vegas in 1973, they certainly sounded better live than what they do on record. But even so, I remember thinking at the time that he was just rushing through them, so that he could get back to the songs that he really wanted to sing such as My Boy ...

There you go. :-(

Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:43 pm

elvisjock wrote:He presented his hits in a medley in the '68 TV show. Yes, he attacked them at that time, but even at that moment of rebirth he segregated the Hound Dogs and Don't Be Cruels from older songs he respected, like That's All Right and Trying To Get To You.

Interesting that the NBC-TV Special was loaded with medleys... but they worked brilliantly ~

Trouble/Guitar Man (opening)
Heartbreak Hotel/Hound Dog/All Shook Up
Gospel Medley
Road Medley - "Nothingville"...

1969 Las Vegas
Mystery Train/Tiger Man
Jailhouse Rock/Don't Be Cruel
Yesterday/Hey Jude

As for the "Long Tall Sally" medley on Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis, I've never cared much for it. The dubbed-in audience reaction on the original album was an attempt to make it sound more exciting than it really was, imo.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:51 pm

I like the 1970 medley Walk A Mile In My Shoes/In The Ghetto..and he takes it seriously..

Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:14 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
minkahed wrote:Some of his biggest and greatest records were being treated with no respect and anal tempos as early as 1970, so I don't wanna hear this "cop out", "watered down" vile crap ... "Hound Dog", "Don't Be Cruel" and "All shook Up" were already a parody in Vegas in '70 ...

"Anal tempos"? That's a new one.

The performances we have of those examples are light-years from what we hear in 1973. That's not "vile crap," that's the truth.

In 1970, Presley was rushing the tempos, but still singing the songs with panache. Three years later it is exactly as others have stated on this thread -- uninterested, perfunctory and extremely brief renditions. Again, this is why Gordy left the band.

+1. I can live with the versions from 1970.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:16 am

I've always liked this version of the 'medley' too. From what i've heard on soundboard and from audience recordings, Elvis' March 20th 1974 rendition is probably the best time he sang this specific 'medley'. The versions from 1973 FTD's closing night and takin' Tahoe tonight are sang way too fast imo, and these specific versions are good examples when the 'medley' definitely didn't work well.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:49 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

When Elvis began to not care about his classic early music, medleys became more and more prevalent. The one you describe took shape in 1973, when Emory Gordy, Jr. was the TCB Band's bass player.

Gordy took over with the first Presley tour of the year on April 22 in Phoenix, and stayed for the next five months, until the infamous closing gig at the Hilton on September 3. One of the reasons Gordy quit after just five months was because of the low performance standard of the Presley show, for example the shoving of classic rock songs into "medleys."

In a 1992 Musician interview Emory remembered:

The tempos were horrible. My big letdown was when we did a medley of "Don't Be Cruel," "Teddy Bear" and "Hound Dog"... Elvis did this whole karate thing while Tutt would do the drums and toms and all that.

Gordy was a world-class studio musician. He knew a thing or two about making great music.

Elvis was a world-class entertainer (musician). He knew a thing or two about making great music! 8)

Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:03 am

Hi E8 (I like that name!) - I, too, have always really enjoyed that "upbeat medley" from the '74 Memphis album (love the album, as well). As mentioned already, you might find this interesting:

phpBB [video]

"Here is Elvis performing the 1974 Rock 'n Roll Medley of "Long Tall Sally/Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On/Mama Don't Dance/Flip, Flop, and Fly/Jailhouse Rock/Hound Dog". It's best known from the 1974 album, "Elvis Recorded Live On Stage in Memphis, TN". This version was recorded live on stage in Richmond, VA on March 18, 1974 - just 2 days before the Memphis album.

Vocally, Elvis is at his best for 1974 and this version of the medley may be the best one of them all.

From FTD's 2012 release of "48 Hours To Memphis"."

N8
... just a fan ....

Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:20 am

It is worth remembering that artists of the 50s often presented their hits in medley form during the 1970s, especially if they were also still recording new material at that time. Bobby Darin certainly presented his rock n roll material in this form in his 70s shows, as did Neil Sedaka, Jerry Lee Lewis, Ricky Nelson (as mentioned) and others. What was different about Elvis in things like Teddy bear/Don't Be Cruel was not their fragmentary nature, but the lacklustre performance they received - something that I would argue didn't happen with the Memphis rock n roll medley.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:54 am

poormadpeter wrote:It is worth remembering that artists of the 50s often presented their hits in medley form during the 1970s, especially if they were also still recording new material at that time. Bobby Darin certainly presented his rock n roll material in this form in his 70s shows, as did Neil Sedaka, Jerry Lee Lewis, Ricky Nelson (as mentioned) and others. What was different about Elvis in things like Teddy bear/Don't Be Cruel was not their fragmentary nature, but the lacklustre performance they received - something that I would argue didn't happen with the Memphis rock n roll medley.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Interesting. JLL has Jimmy' McCulloch from Wings on Guitar and Wayne Cochran of the CC Riders on guitar! Also, never could believe that Neil Sedaka is straight!

Rock medleys like these always make me think of "Up With People" kind of reviews that are paying homage to the 50's.

Maybe Elvis got the medley idea from Tom Jones who used to do a 50's rock medley in his act.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:30 am

The "medley" has long been a respected vehicle for showcasing one's hits.

Special thanks to PMP for posting these examples of JLL and Neil Sadaka. (Imagine my surprise when I was able to sing every single word of Calendar Girl along with Neil. There's hope for me yet!)

The beauty of the medley is that, for performers with longevity, it puts squarely before the audience, a body of work. In rapid fire succession, the realization comes crashing down on the audience just what this performer has added to the world's music -- and to their lives.

These are "legacy" works and as such should be handled with care. People loved them and this is what put these performers "on the map." Elvis didn't always do that. The rushed medley's always kinda bring me down.

From his point of view, he'd been there, done that. It's very hard to keep things you do over and over, fresh. Listening to Rick Nelson's Garden Party woke me up to that. "I said Hello to Mary Lou, she belonged to me, but if Memories are all I sell, I'd rather drive a truck."
Last edited by MaryAnn on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:51 am

I have to admit that this concert is not Sedaka's greatest look! Still doing great at 73 though, saw him last year and was very good.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:40 am

eligain wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:It is worth remembering that artists of the 50s often presented their hits in medley form during the 1970s, especially if they were also still recording new material at that time. Bobby Darin certainly presented his rock n roll material in this form in his 70s shows, as did Neil Sedaka, Jerry Lee Lewis, Ricky Nelson (as mentioned) and others. What was different about Elvis in things like Teddy bear/Don't Be Cruel was not their fragmentary nature, but the lacklustre performance they received - something that I would argue didn't happen with the Memphis rock n roll medley.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Interesting. JLL has Jimmy' McCulloch from Wings on Guitar and Wayne Cochran of the CC Riders on guitar! Also, never could believe that Neil Sedaka is straight!

Rock medleys like these always make me think of "Up With People" kind of reviews that are paying homage to the 50's.

Maybe Elvis got the medley idea from Tom Jones who used to do a 50's rock medley in his act.

Thank-you for posting the great video's poormadpeter, and thank-you eligain for the info regarding Jimmy McCulloch (is that really him???) playing with Jerry Lee, what a smoking performance!!!!! 8) :smt006 8)