Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: A Star Is Born

Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:37 am

Great points X. It could have been a role of a lifetime and a vehicle that could help actually save his life. But, could he rise to the challenge of doing the film? Probably not.

It would have been worthwhile for him to try instead of just walking away from it and spiraling towards his demise. What a spot to be in.

Re: A Star Is Born

Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:37 am

brian wrote:Playing a singer for the uptenth time in a Barbara Streisand star vehicle i've always had my doubts about.

Sorry, but there was no relation or parallel between Kristofferson's character and Charlie Rogers in Clambake.

brian wrote:In my opinion the movie flat out sucked it just wasn't flawed in certain areas.

Millions of movie-goers, the Oscars, the Golden Globes, the Grammys, and millions of record-buyers disagreed. Elvis would have been part of a hugely successful mainstream film and would have had his biggest selling album of his career.

Re: A Star Is Born

Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:55 am

lots of crappy movies win awards, lots of crappy movies do well at the box office.

A role of a lifetime for Elvis could have been Walk on the Wild side or perhaps a number of other film roles he missed out on.

Re: A Star Is Born

Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:06 am

You have to look at chemistry and casting between the stars.

I think it probably would work better for Kris K. than Elvis opposite Barbra streisand.

What would have possibly made a difference is ANN Margret and Elvis finally working to gether again, after 10+ years in the highly successful, VIva las vegas.

Kris and Barbra= yes

Elvis and Barbara= no

Elvis and Ann = yes

Re: A Star Is Born

Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:25 am

midnightx wrote:
brian wrote:In my opinion the movie flat out sucked it just wasn't flawed in certain areas.

Millions of movie-goers, the Oscars, the Golden Globes, the Grammys, and millions of record-buyers disagreed. Elvis would have been part of a hugely successful mainstream film and would have had his biggest selling album of his career.


And that's why Jerry Schilling recalls the story as something significant. Because it was.

Re: A Star Is Born

Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:25 am

I've always been fascinated with how Elvis would have played the character in A Star Is Born. Would he have just played a variation of himself with his hair still black with the mutton chops and the jumpsuits? Or would he have tried to play a more 60's type of rock star and had his hair it's natural color and grown a beard and had more of a hippie image like Kris K did? Would it have been the same songs Kris sang or would they have had more "Elvis type" songs? It would have been interesting.

Re: A Star Is Born

Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:39 am

Elvis had already won a Golden Globe for On tour.
Elvis had already won grammys.
Elvis had already made very successful box office movies.
Elvis was not going to win the oscar for this flick given the situation.
And this film was not as widely loved as some would make you think.
Perhaps the original movie was, but not this remake.

Re: A Star Is Born

Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:58 am

promiseland wrote:He watched it on April 23rd 1977 at 2:33pm EST.


That's not correct, he actually watched it at 2:32pm EST.!!

Re: A Star Is Born

Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:09 am

ekenee wrote:Elvis had already won a Golden Globe for On tour.
Elvis had already won grammys.
Elvis had already made very successful box office movies.
Elvis was not going to win the oscar for this flick given the situation.
And this film was not as widely loved as some would make you think.
Perhaps the original movie was, but not this remake.


Actually that's not true. This was a very popular movie at the time. I remember the lines for it. It was the second highest grossing picture of 1976. The soundtrack for it was huge as well. And look at the movie career Kris Kristofferson had after this movie. He had a good 10 year run of A list starring roles. That could have been Elvis's movie career through the 80's.

Re: A Star Is Born

Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:53 am

eligain wrote:
ekenee wrote:Elvis had already won a Golden Globe for On tour.
Elvis had already won grammys.
Elvis had already made very successful box office movies.
Elvis was not going to win the oscar for this flick given the situation.
And this film was not as widely loved as some would make you think.
Perhaps the original movie was, but not this remake.


Actually that's not true. This was a very popular movie at the time. I remember the lines for it. It was the second highest grossing picture of 1976. The soundtrack for it was huge as well. And look at the movie career Kris Kristofferson had after this movie. He had a good 10 year run of A list starring roles. That could have been Elvis's movie career through the 80's.


The film was a major hit when it was released but it's not fondly remembered or loved.

A lot of people didn't like it then and they don't like it now.

Kristofferson did not have a 10 year run of starring in A list films after A Star is Born.

He was always a character actor and to me he only had a handful of good roles.

Re: A Star Is Born

Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:39 pm

brian wrote:
eligain wrote:
ekenee wrote:Elvis had already won a Golden Globe for On tour.
Elvis had already won grammys.
Elvis had already made very successful box office movies.
Elvis was not going to win the oscar for this flick given the situation.
And this film was not as widely loved as some would make you think.
Perhaps the original movie was, but not this remake.


Actually that's not true. This was a very popular movie at the time. I remember the lines for it. It was the second highest grossing picture of 1976. The soundtrack for it was huge as well. And look at the movie career Kris Kristofferson had after this movie. He had a good 10 year run of A list starring roles. That could have been Elvis's movie career through the 80's.


The film was a major hit when it was released but it's not fondly remembered or loved.

A lot of people didn't like it then and they don't like it now.

Kristofferson did not have a 10 year run of starring in A list films after A Star is Born.

He was always a character actor and to me he only had a handful of good roles.


For me, I didn't like it but I know a lot of people who it is one of their favorites and it was more than a major hit, it was the second biggest movie of the year, the biggest soundtrack and one of the biggest albums of the year and the biggest selling video tape when it was released in the early 80's. I also remember it was a big deal when it first played on TV.

Yes he made a handful of movies in those 10 years but his name was above the title which makes him the star not just a character actor. Star Is Born enabled him to move up to leading man roles in main stream Films. Movies he was the lead or one of the main leads after Star I Born: Semi Tough, Convoy, Heaven's Gate, Rollover, Flash Point, Songwriter, Trouble In Mind. plus several TV movies he was the star. My point is, Kris K was nowhere near as famous as Elvis and was seen as a kind of quirky character actor who starred in smaller indie type films and then after "Star" he moved into starring in main stream films. He also became a major sex symbol with posters and such. I remember several teenage girls my age having posters of him in their rooms. A star Is Born wouldn't have been the be all and end all of movies but it could have propelled Elvis into finally making the serious movies he wanted to be making.

Re: A Star Is Born

Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:54 pm

ekenee wrote:Elvis had already won a Golden Globe for On tour.

An achievement for a musical documentary mostly unnoticed by the public at large. This isn't about personal achievement, this is about a project opening the door to acclaim and respect by the public at large. We are talking about an artist who was releasing forgettable, substandard MOR albums, whose jumpsuits and stage persona were already becoming a punch-line, and who had become an uncool casino showroom performer. His mainstream credibility was tarnished. To dismiss Elvis' opportunity to star in a movie that was a major departure from his past work and that would have potentially opened the door to a new Hollywood career is baffling. There is simply no legitimate parallel between his past film work from the '60s and the Star Is Born role.

ekenee wrote:Elvis had already won grammys.

Again, prestigious awards for his religious recordings. Those honors did not have cross-over potential into the mainstream population in terms of contemporary credibility. Being part of a multi-million selling soundtrack that won contemporary awards certainly would have been a noteworthy achievement - that many of you today would frequently cite to in defense of Elvis. Sorry you can't see the obvious.

ekenee wrote:Elvis had already made very successful box office movies.

Mostly meaningless B-level films. Again, it is baffling that you compare the artistic merits of those second-rate movies to a major motion picture that was noticed by the Oscars and Golden Globes.

ekenee wrote:Elvis was not going to win the oscar for this flick given the situation.

But he would have been associated with a relevant, contemporary hit.

ekenee wrote:And this film was not as widely loved as some would make you think.

It also wasn't Clambake.

Re: A Star Is Born

Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:01 pm

If accepting Barbra's offer of the role in A Star is Born meant that he got clean, got slim & generally got his act together,
it would have been a golden opportunity & would have done him no harm whatsoever !

I reckon it was Parker who was never going to let his boy have 'second billing' to another singer !

Re: A Star Is Born

Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:17 pm

The sales of the soundtrack alone would have been a huge boost to his career and maybe outsold his best selling soundtracks. Who knows , but no, the LP would have to be shared with Barbara and to the Col, that was a no-no. Such a short sighted individual was old Tom, it is amazing he was successful at all.

Re: A Star Is Born

Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:34 pm

midnightx wrote:
ekenee wrote:Elvis had already won a Golden Globe for On tour.

An achievement for a musical documentary mostly unnoticed by the public at large. This isn't about personal achievement, this is about a project opening the door to acclaim and respect by the public at large. We are talking about an artist who was releasing forgettable, substandard MOR albums, whose jumpsuits and stage persona were already becoming a punch-line, and who had become an uncool casino showroom performer. His mainstream credibility was tarnished. To dismiss Elvis' opportunity to star in a movie that was a major departure from his past work and that would have potentially opened the door to a new Hollywood career is baffling. There is simply no legitimate parallel between his past film work from the '60s and the Star Is Born role.

ekenee wrote:Elvis had already won grammys.

Again, prestigious awards for his religious recordings. Those honors did not have cross-over potential into the mainstream population in terms of contemporary credibility. Being part of a multi-million selling soundtrack that won contemporary awards certainly would have been a noteworthy achievement - that many of you today would frequently cite to in defense of Elvis. Sorry you can't see the obvious.

ekenee wrote:Elvis had already made very successful box office movies.

Mostly meaningless B-level films. Again, it is baffling that you compare the artistic merits of those second-rate movies to a major motion picture that was noticed by the Oscars and Golden Globes.

ekenee wrote:Elvis was not going to win the oscar for this flick given the situation.

But he would have been associated with a relevant, contemporary hit.

ekenee wrote:And this film was not as widely loved as some would make you think.

It also wasn't Clambake.



And to prove my point once again, Clambake is a much more entertaining film than A star is born.
Thanks for that comparison.

FYI--respected film critic Leanard Maltin gives the film **1/2 stars while calling it an unconvincing treatment of the story.

The only way the film was going to be a success is if Elvis sang "Feelings" during the closing segment, while on downers.

The word "success" gets thrown around way too much here.
eXample: the first Star Trek movie was a huge success.

Well, trekkies had been clamoring for more "trek" since the series was canceled and they flocked to the theaters, the film turned out to be a huge dissapointment, while being a box office success.

Remakes as well, are always popular because people remember how great the originals were.

More examples.

Planet of the apes, pales when compared the Heston orignal but was a box office success.

The Parent Trap, pales when compared to the Hayley mills Original but was a box office success.

King Kong pales when compared to the original but was a box office success.

I could go on and on.

REMAKES are a bad idea most of the time and they rarely tie or beat the originals.

But Hollywood knows they will be successfull at the box office and it gives the newer generation a chance to see the story in an updated version at a theater.

Elvis' comeback movie needed to be an original idea written for him, not some tired movie that had been remade over again.

The soundtrack only sold because of the huge Streisand hit, "evergreen". And that is probably one of her greatest hits.

If Elvis had done the movie, I don't for a second think it would not have made money, or sold a ton of soundtrack albums.

People would have been naturally curious and would have flocked to the theater to see him. I get that.

But, Elvis was looking for a non-singing type of role. Not another musical drama.

That's my point you missed yet again.

The point is this, if you missed.

Just like his 1960's lightwieght musicals, like "Viva las vegas", it would have made money but would not have given Elvis the respect he wanted in hollywood.

FYI, Leonard Maltin gives Viva las vegas, ** 1/2 stars, the same amount he gives A star is born. Think about it.

PS. Don't you agree with my assessment that the film casting could have been better if Ann-Margret did the film with him instead of Barbra S.?
In the early 70's Ann was doing some movies that were getting her the attention of the academy as well.

Re: A Star Is Born

Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:06 pm

It was a musical drama which was a bigger hit at box office than any previous Elvis Presley's films. A nonsinging role? Charro was and it became mediocre at best.

Re: A Star Is Born

Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:39 pm

I think Elvis being Iin the movie might have helped save his life because it would have forced him to get back into shape

Re: A Star Is Born

Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:06 pm

eligain wrote:
brian wrote:
eligain wrote:
ekenee wrote:Elvis had already won a Golden Globe for On tour.
Elvis had already won grammys.
Elvis had already made very successful box office movies.
Elvis was not going to win the oscar for this flick given the situation.
And this film was not as widely loved as some would make you think.
Perhaps the original movie was, but not this remake.


Actually that's not true. This was a very popular movie at the time. I remember the lines for it. It was the second highest grossing picture of 1976. The soundtrack for it was huge as well. And look at the movie career Kris Kristofferson had after this movie. He had a good 10 year run of A list starring roles. That could have been Elvis's movie career through the 80's.


The film was a major hit when it was released but it's not fondly remembered or loved.

A lot of people didn't like it then and they don't like it now.

Kristofferson did not have a 10 year run of starring in A list films after A Star is Born.

He was always a character actor and to me he only had a handful of good roles.


For me, I didn't like it but I know a lot of people who it is one of their favorites and it was more than a major hit, it was the second biggest movie of the year, the biggest soundtrack and one of the biggest albums of the year and the biggest selling video tape when it was released in the early 80's. I also remember it was a big deal when it first played on TV.

Yes he made a handful of movies in those 10 years but his name was above the title which makes him the star not just a character actor. Star Is Born enabled him to move up to leading man roles in main stream Films. Movies he was the lead or one of the main leads after Star I Born: Semi Tough, Convoy, Heaven's Gate, Rollover, Flash Point, Songwriter, Trouble In Mind. plus several TV movies he was the star. My point is, Kris K was nowhere near as famous as Elvis and was seen as a kind of quirky character actor who starred in smaller indie type films and then after "Star" he moved into starring in main stream films. He also became a major sex symbol with posters and such. I remember several teenage girls my age having posters of him in their rooms. A star Is Born wouldn't have been the be all and end all of movies but it could have propelled Elvis into finally making the serious movies he wanted to be making.


I'm aware of all of this you have to realize that Streisand was a big box office almost all of her films were huge even the bad ones.

I hated it but not every single person did and the soundtrack was Streisand.

I wouldn't refer to all the films Kris Kristofferson played in after A Star is Born as A list because to me most of them weren't any good.

I don't know if playing in the film was responsible for Kristofferson getting Convoy because he had already worked with Sam Peckinpah twice before.

Re: A Star Is Born

Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:03 pm

Why anyone argues some of the facts of 1976's "A Star Is Born" is incomprehensible.

- Popular with millions
- Soundtrack sold millions
- Boosted Kristofferson's acting career
- Huge box office moneymaker worldwide
- Nominated/Won multiple awards (4 Oscar, 5 Golden Globe, 2 BAFTA, 1 Grammy)

Nothing but good would have come to Elvis from being associated with this project.

The more I think about it, the more those February 1977 photos seem to be related to the "A Star Is Born" failure.

Re: A Star Is Born

Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:33 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Why anyone argues some of the facts of 1976's "A Star Is Born" is incomprehensible.

Not incomprehensible on this message board.

Re: A Star Is Born

Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:05 pm

ekenee wrote:
midnightx wrote:
ekenee wrote:Elvis had already won a Golden Globe for On tour.

An achievement for a musical documentary mostly unnoticed by the public at large. This isn't about personal achievement, this is about a project opening the door to acclaim and respect by the public at large. We are talking about an artist who was releasing forgettable, substandard MOR albums, whose jumpsuits and stage persona were already becoming a punch-line, and who had become an uncool casino showroom performer. His mainstream credibility was tarnished. To dismiss Elvis' opportunity to star in a movie that was a major departure from his past work and that would have potentially opened the door to a new Hollywood career is baffling. There is simply no legitimate parallel between his past film work from the '60s and the Star Is Born role.

ekenee wrote:Elvis had already won grammys.

Again, prestigious awards for his religious recordings. Those honors did not have cross-over potential into the mainstream population in terms of contemporary credibility. Being part of a multi-million selling soundtrack that won contemporary awards certainly would have been a noteworthy achievement - that many of you today would frequently cite to in defense of Elvis. Sorry you can't see the obvious.

ekenee wrote:Elvis had already made very successful box office movies.

Mostly meaningless B-level films. Again, it is baffling that you compare the artistic merits of those second-rate movies to a major motion picture that was noticed by the Oscars and Golden Globes.

ekenee wrote:Elvis was not going to win the oscar for this flick given the situation.

But he would have been associated with a relevant, contemporary hit.

ekenee wrote:And this film was not as widely loved as some would make you think.

It also wasn't Clambake.



And to prove my point once again, Clambake is a much more entertaining film than A star is born.
Thanks for that comparison.

FYI--respected film critic Leanard Maltin gives the film **1/2 stars while calling it an unconvincing treatment of the story.

The only way the film was going to be a success is if Elvis sang "Feelings" during the closing segment, while on downers.

The word "success" gets thrown around way too much here.
eXample: the first Star Trek movie was a huge success.

Well, trekkies had been clamoring for more "trek" since the series was canceled and they flocked to the theaters, the film turned out to be a huge dissapointment, while being a box office success.

Remakes as well, are always popular because people remember how great the originals were.

More examples.

Planet of the apes, pales when compared the Heston orignal but was a box office success.

The Parent Trap, pales when compared to the Hayley mills Original but was a box office success.

King Kong pales when compared to the original but was a box office success.

I could go on and on.

REMAKES are a bad idea most of the time and they rarely tie or beat the originals.

But Hollywood knows they will be successfull at the box office and it gives the newer generation a chance to see the story in an updated version at a theater.

Elvis' comeback movie needed to be an original idea written for him, not some tired movie that had been remade over again.

The soundtrack only sold because of the huge Streisand hit, "evergreen". And that is probably one of her greatest hits.

If Elvis had done the movie, I don't for a second think it would not have made money, or sold a ton of soundtrack albums.

People would have been naturally curious and would have flocked to the theater to see him. I get that.

But, Elvis was looking for a non-singing type of role. Not another musical drama.

That's my point you missed yet again.

The point is this, if you missed.

Just like his 1960's lightwieght musicals, like "Viva las vegas", it would have made money but would not have given Elvis the respect he wanted in hollywood.

FYI, Leonard Maltin gives Viva las vegas, ** 1/2 stars, the same amount he gives A star is born. Think about it.

PS. Don't you agree with my assessment that the film casting could have been better if Ann-Margret did the film with him instead of Barbra S.?
In the early 70's Ann was doing some movies that were getting her the attention of the academy as well.


The movie was a hit, not a curiosity. Plus it was a serious drama where he would have sang live on camera, no lip syncing. This movie was huge at the time It was so big that it played in theaters a second time after 1977, that is when I finally saw it. Who cares if Leonard Malton gave it 2 and 1/2 stars. How many huge hit movies and cult classics were panned by the critics but loved by the public? More than you can count. Who cares what critics say anyway? The Movie was just had a deluxe blue ray release so I'm pretty sure it's still loved.

Re: A Star Is Born

Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:08 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Why anyone argues some of the facts of 1976's "A Star Is Born" is incomprehensible.

- Popular with millions
- Soundtrack sold millions
- Boosted Kristofferson's acting career
- Huge box office moneymaker worldwide
- Nominated/Won multiple awards (4 Oscar, 5 Golden Globe, 2 BAFTA, 1 Grammy)

Nothing but good would have come to Elvis from being associated with this project.

The more I think about it, the more those February 1977 photos seem to be related to the "A Star Is Born" failure.


Jerry Schilling has stated that when the "A Star Is Born" deal fell through, it was like watching the wing come off a 747!

Re: A Star Is Born

Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:51 am

eligain wrote:
ekenee wrote:
midnightx wrote:
ekenee wrote:Elvis had already won a Golden Globe for On tour.

An achievement for a musical documentary mostly unnoticed by the public at large. This isn't about personal achievement, this is about a project opening the door to acclaim and respect by the public at large. We are talking about an artist who was releasing forgettable, substandard MOR albums, whose jumpsuits and stage persona were already becoming a punch-line, and who had become an uncool casino showroom performer. His mainstream credibility was tarnished. To dismiss Elvis' opportunity to star in a movie that was a major departure from his past work and that would have potentially opened the door to a new Hollywood career is baffling. There is simply no legitimate parallel between his past film work from the '60s and the Star Is Born role.

ekenee wrote:Elvis had already won grammys.

Again, prestigious awards for his religious recordings. Those honors did not have cross-over potential into the mainstream population in terms of contemporary credibility. Being part of a multi-million selling soundtrack that won contemporary awards certainly would have been a noteworthy achievement - that many of you today would frequently cite to in defense of Elvis. Sorry you can't see the obvious.

ekenee wrote:Elvis had already made very successful box office movies.

Mostly meaningless B-level films. Again, it is baffling that you compare the artistic merits of those second-rate movies to a major motion picture that was noticed by the Oscars and Golden Globes.

ekenee wrote:Elvis was not going to win the oscar for this flick given the situation.

But he would have been associated with a relevant, contemporary hit.

ekenee wrote:And this film was not as widely loved as some would make you think.

It also wasn't Clambake.



And to prove my point once again, Clambake is a much more entertaining film than A star is born.
Thanks for that comparison.

FYI--respected film critic Leanard Maltin gives the film **1/2 stars while calling it an unconvincing treatment of the story.

The only way the film was going to be a success is if Elvis sang "Feelings" during the closing segment, while on downers.

The word "success" gets thrown around way too much here.
eXample: the first Star Trek movie was a huge success.

Well, trekkies had been clamoring for more "trek" since the series was canceled and they flocked to the theaters, the film turned out to be a huge dissapointment, while being a box office success.

Remakes as well, are always popular because people remember how great the originals were.

More examples.

Planet of the apes, pales when compared the Heston orignal but was a box office success.

The Parent Trap, pales when compared to the Hayley mills Original but was a box office success.

King Kong pales when compared to the original but was a box office success.

I could go on and on.

REMAKES are a bad idea most of the time and they rarely tie or beat the originals.

But Hollywood knows they will be successfull at the box office and it gives the newer generation a chance to see the story in an updated version at a theater.

Elvis' comeback movie needed to be an original idea written for him, not some tired movie that had been remade over again.

The soundtrack only sold because of the huge Streisand hit, "evergreen". And that is probably one of her greatest hits.

If Elvis had done the movie, I don't for a second think it would not have made money, or sold a ton of soundtrack albums.

People would have been naturally curious and would have flocked to the theater to see him. I get that.

But, Elvis was looking for a non-singing type of role. Not another musical drama.

That's my point you missed yet again.

The point is this, if you missed.

Just like his 1960's lightwieght musicals, like "Viva las vegas", it would have made money but would not have given Elvis the respect he wanted in hollywood.

FYI, Leonard Maltin gives Viva las vegas, ** 1/2 stars, the same amount he gives A star is born. Think about it.

PS. Don't you agree with my assessment that the film casting could have been better if Ann-Margret did the film with him instead of Barbra S.?
In the early 70's Ann was doing some movies that were getting her the attention of the academy as well.


The movie was a hit, not a curiosity. Plus it was a serious drama where he would have sang live on camera, no lip syncing. This movie was huge at the time It was so big that it played in theaters a second time after 1977, that is when I finally saw it. Who cares if Leonard Malton gave it 2 and 1/2 stars. How many huge hit movies and cult classics were panned by the critics but loved by the public? More than you can count. Who cares what critics say anyway? The Movie was just had a deluxe blue ray release so I'm pretty sure it's still loved.


Right who cares what the critics think. But also who cares what the academy thinks. Most of the academy award winning films are long and boring.
I am sure people love it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't suck.

Re: A Star Is Born

Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:39 am

Of course he should have taken the role. He was a performer and it was work. It was a high-profile project in a medium he still professed that he cared about and wanted to master.

Elvis had reinvented himself before and risen from the ashes. Binder had had something to do with that. Management had already written Elvis off and relegated him to making (one last) insipid Christmas special. But I digress...

This time, there was no Binder to extend a hand -- and Management had its way. What a shame.

Re: A Star Is Born

Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:48 am

ekenee wrote:
eligain wrote:
ekenee wrote:
midnightx wrote:
ekenee wrote:Elvis had already won a Golden Globe for On tour.

An achievement for a musical documentary mostly unnoticed by the public at large. This isn't about personal achievement, this is about a project opening the door to acclaim and respect by the public at large. We are talking about an artist who was releasing forgettable, substandard MOR albums, whose jumpsuits and stage persona were already becoming a punch-line, and who had become an uncool casino showroom performer. His mainstream credibility was tarnished. To dismiss Elvis' opportunity to star in a movie that was a major departure from his past work and that would have potentially opened the door to a new Hollywood career is baffling. There is simply no legitimate parallel between his past film work from the '60s and the Star Is Born role.

ekenee wrote:Elvis had already won grammys.

Again, prestigious awards for his religious recordings. Those honors did not have cross-over potential into the mainstream population in terms of contemporary credibility. Being part of a multi-million selling soundtrack that won contemporary awards certainly would have been a noteworthy achievement - that many of you today would frequently cite to in defense of Elvis. Sorry you can't see the obvious.

ekenee wrote:Elvis had already made very successful box office movies.

Mostly meaningless B-level films. Again, it is baffling that you compare the artistic merits of those second-rate movies to a major motion picture that was noticed by the Oscars and Golden Globes.

ekenee wrote:Elvis was not going to win the oscar for this flick given the situation.

But he would have been associated with a relevant, contemporary hit.

ekenee wrote:And this film was not as widely loved as some would make you think.

It also wasn't Clambake.



And to prove my point once again, Clambake is a much more entertaining film than A star is born.
Thanks for that comparison.

FYI--respected film critic Leanard Maltin gives the film **1/2 stars while calling it an unconvincing treatment of the story.

The only way the film was going to be a success is if Elvis sang "Feelings" during the closing segment, while on downers.

The word "success" gets thrown around way too much here.
eXample: the first Star Trek movie was a huge success.

Well, trekkies had been clamoring for more "trek" since the series was canceled and they flocked to the theaters, the film turned out to be a huge dissapointment, while being a box office success.

Remakes as well, are always popular because people remember how great the originals were.

More examples.

Planet of the apes, pales when compared the Heston orignal but was a box office success.

The Parent Trap, pales when compared to the Hayley mills Original but was a box office success.

King Kong pales when compared to the original but was a box office success.

I could go on and on.

REMAKES are a bad idea most of the time and they rarely tie or beat the originals.

But Hollywood knows they will be successfull at the box office and it gives the newer generation a chance to see the story in an updated version at a theater.

Elvis' comeback movie needed to be an original idea written for him, not some tired movie that had been remade over again.

The soundtrack only sold because of the huge Streisand hit, "evergreen". And that is probably one of her greatest hits.

If Elvis had done the movie, I don't for a second think it would not have made money, or sold a ton of soundtrack albums.

People would have been naturally curious and would have flocked to the theater to see him. I get that.

But, Elvis was looking for a non-singing type of role. Not another musical drama.

That's my point you missed yet again.

The point is this, if you missed.

Just like his 1960's lightwieght musicals, like "Viva las vegas", it would have made money but would not have given Elvis the respect he wanted in hollywood.

FYI, Leonard Maltin gives Viva las vegas, ** 1/2 stars, the same amount he gives A star is born. Think about it.

PS. Don't you agree with my assessment that the film casting could have been better if Ann-Margret did the film with him instead of Barbra S.?
In the early 70's Ann was doing some movies that were getting her the attention of the academy as well.


The movie was a hit, not a curiosity. Plus it was a serious drama where he would have sang live on camera, no lip syncing. This movie was huge at the time It was so big that it played in theaters a second time after 1977, that is when I finally saw it. Who cares if Leonard Malton gave it 2 and 1/2 stars. How many huge hit movies and cult classics were panned by the critics but loved by the public? More than you can count. Who cares what critics say anyway? The Movie was just had a deluxe blue ray release so I'm pretty sure it's still loved.


Right who cares what the critics think. But also who cares what the academy thinks. Most of the academy award winning films are long and boring.
I am sure people love it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't suck.



Regardless of what you think of the movie or what critics think it was as already has been said a huge hit at the box office,not to mention an award winner and spawned a successful soundtrack album.I'm not a fan of the movie but I can see that it could have (if Elvis had been up for it and put in a creditable performance)resurrected his career and put him firmly into the international spotlight again.Never mind A Star Is Born it's what could have come next that could have been even more important.

norrie