Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: A Star Is Born

Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:38 pm

brian wrote:
eligain wrote:
brian wrote:Scoff if you want but there were young people that didn't know who Elvis was in the mid to late 70s before his death.

Then his death brought huge media attention for him.

Not everyone was watching Elvis' movies or paying attention when they came on.

I was thinking Elvis should have done the occassional variety show appearence in the 1970s to get more exposure for himself.


Well, I didn't know anyone who didn't know who Elvis was. I wasn't an Elvis fan until after I saw Elvis in Vegas in 1973 with my parents when I was 12 but I knew who Elvis was way before that and everyone I knew, boy or girl, who were even 3 years or more younger than me knew who Elvis was.


Consider that Elvis in the 1970s was older so he wasn't getting played on top 40 radio stations as much as he use to and largely because of that he wasn't selling as many records as he did in the 1950s and 1960s.

Elvis wasn't making new films anymore and he rarely appeared on television.

Elvis makes an appearence on television in 1968 then he doesn't appear again until five years later.

No wonder there were children that didn't know who he was.

By 1976 all Elvis was doing was appearing in concert in largely secondary markets, Tahoe and Vegas.

r&b makes a good point that Elvis should have done A Star is Born strictly for the exposure.


There were no children who didn't know who Elvis was over the age of 7 in the 70's who had access to media. Children by and large didn't go to see "A Star Is Born".

Re: A Star Is Born

Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:44 pm

eligain wrote:
brian wrote:
eligain wrote:
brian wrote:Scoff if you want but there were young people that didn't know who Elvis was in the mid to late 70s before his death.

Then his death brought huge media attention for him.

Not everyone was watching Elvis' movies or paying attention when they came on.

I was thinking Elvis should have done the occassional variety show appearence in the 1970s to get more exposure for himself.


Well, I didn't know anyone who didn't know who Elvis was. I wasn't an Elvis fan until after I saw Elvis in Vegas in 1973 with my parents when I was 12 but I knew who Elvis was way before that and everyone I knew, boy or girl, who were even 3 years or more younger than me knew who Elvis was.


Consider that Elvis in the 1970s was older so he wasn't getting played on top 40 radio stations as much as he use to and largely because of that he wasn't selling as many records as he did in the 1950s and 1960s.

Elvis wasn't making new films anymore and he rarely appeared on television.

Elvis makes an appearence on television in 1968 then he doesn't appear again until five years later.

No wonder there were children that didn't know who he was.

By 1976 all Elvis was doing was appearing in concert in largely secondary markets, Tahoe and Vegas.

r&b makes a good point that Elvis should have done A Star is Born strictly for the exposure.


There were no children who didn't know who he was over the age of 7 in the 70's who had access to media.


That's not true.

For example former FECC forum members Riley and Partricia both stated on this forum in the past that they didn't know who Elvis Presley was before he died.

Riley said she eleven years old and i think Patricia said she was eight.

I wished everyone on the planet knew who Elvis was then but unfortunately that wasn't the case.

A Star is Born was a popular movie that got a huge amount of publicity in the media at the time of it's release.

Re: A Star Is Born

Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:18 am

brian wrote:
eligain wrote:
brian wrote:
eligain wrote:
brian wrote:Scoff if you want but there were young people that didn't know who Elvis was in the mid to late 70s before his death.

Then his death brought huge media attention for him.

Not everyone was watching Elvis' movies or paying attention when they came on.

I was thinking Elvis should have done the occassional variety show appearence in the 1970s to get more exposure for himself.


Well, I didn't know anyone who didn't know who Elvis was. I wasn't an Elvis fan until after I saw Elvis in Vegas in 1973 with my parents when I was 12 but I knew who Elvis was way before that and everyone I knew, boy or girl, who were even 3 years or more younger than me knew who Elvis was.


Consider that Elvis in the 1970s was older so he wasn't getting played on top 40 radio stations as much as he use to and largely because of that he wasn't selling as many records as he did in the 1950s and 1960s.

Elvis wasn't making new films anymore and he rarely appeared on television.

Elvis makes an appearence on television in 1968 then he doesn't appear again until five years later.

No wonder there were children that didn't know who he was.

By 1976 all Elvis was doing was appearing in concert in largely secondary markets, Tahoe and Vegas.

r&b makes a good point that Elvis should have done A Star is Born strictly for the exposure.


There were no children who didn't know who he was over the age of 7 in the 70's who had access to media.


That's not true.

For example former FECC forum members Riley and Partricia both stated on this forum in the past that they didn't know who Elvis Presley was before he died.

Riley said she eleven years old and i think Patricia said she was eight.

I wished everyone on the planet knew who Elvis was then but unfortunately that wasn't the case.

A Star is Born was a popular movie that got a huge amount of publicity in the media at the time of it's release.


Well, they were a very rare exception. In their case, I don't think it would have mattered if Elvis had a weekly TV show like Glen Campbell or Johnny Cash, they wouldn't have known who he was even then. Like the song says; "Elvis was everywhere", even before he died. Besides his movies being constantly on TV and his TV Specials being played twice each and movies like EOT and TTWII being played multiple times. There were not only constant magazine articles and newspaper articles especially where he performed with front page coverage but there were special fan magazines just about Elvis on the newsstands in at least 73,74,75,76 and 77.
There was even a book sold through the elementary school's Scholastic Books in the 70's called: "Meet Elvis Presley" By Favius Friedman

Yes, A Star Is Born got a lot of publicity and he should have made the movie but Elvis was not unknown to the vast majority children in the 70's and making ASIB (Which was an adult movie) wasn't going to make him known to any more children than he already was. There wasn't Entertainment Tonight or Extra on TV and serious news didn't cover gossip or entertainment news like they do now. The only publicity for ASIB was basically in print. Streisand also rarely did television shows or specials anymore at this point.

BTW, When Elvis came here for his Vail trip in 1976 and here in Denver for the police funeral it was huge news all over the papers and on local TV. He showed up at the church for the funeral which had a school in it wand one of my friend's brothers went to that school and saw him and knew exactly who he was. When he performed her in April 76 it got huge local coverage and front page pictures and articles for 2 days in our local newspapers. In the summer of 1977 (before he died) Elvis donated the Blue and Silver Phoenix suit to that church to be raffled at their church festival. They had it on display and we would drive around the festival with Elvis Music blaring and teenage girls would scream and chase us. If they didn't who he was, how did they know to scream?

I had several magazines from the time (People, Photoplay , Faces, etc., that had articles about Streisand and ASIB and about Elvis and his touring in the same issue and some with both of their pictures on the cover!

Re: A Star Is Born

Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:25 am

eligain wrote:
brian wrote:
eligain wrote:
brian wrote:
eligain wrote:
brian wrote:Scoff if you want but there were young people that didn't know who Elvis was in the mid to late 70s before his death.

Then his death brought huge media attention for him.

Not everyone was watching Elvis' movies or paying attention when they came on.

I was thinking Elvis should have done the occassional variety show appearence in the 1970s to get more exposure for himself.


Well, I didn't know anyone who didn't know who Elvis was. I wasn't an Elvis fan until after I saw Elvis in Vegas in 1973 with my parents when I was 12 but I knew who Elvis was way before that and everyone I knew, boy or girl, who were even 3 years or more younger than me knew who Elvis was.


Consider that Elvis in the 1970s was older so he wasn't getting played on top 40 radio stations as much as he use to and largely because of that he wasn't selling as many records as he did in the 1950s and 1960s.

Elvis wasn't making new films anymore and he rarely appeared on television.

Elvis makes an appearence on television in 1968 then he doesn't appear again until five years later.

No wonder there were children that didn't know who he was.

By 1976 all Elvis was doing was appearing in concert in largely secondary markets, Tahoe and Vegas.

r&b makes a good point that Elvis should have done A Star is Born strictly for the exposure.


There were no children who didn't know who he was over the age of 7 in the 70's who had access to media.


That's not true.

For example former FECC forum members Riley and Partricia both stated on this forum in the past that they didn't know who Elvis Presley was before he died.

Riley said she eleven years old and i think Patricia said she was eight.

I wished everyone on the planet knew who Elvis was then but unfortunately that wasn't the case.

A Star is Born was a popular movie that got a huge amount of publicity in the media at the time of it's release.


Well, they were a very rare exception. In their case, I don't think it would have mattered if Elvis had a weekly TV show like Glen Campbell or Johnny Cash, they wouldn't have known who he was even then. Like the song says; "Elvis was everywhere", even before he died. Besides his movies being constantly on TV and his TV Specials being played twice each and movies like EOT and TTWII being played multiple times. There were not only constant magazine articles and newspaper articles especially where he performed with front page coverage but there were special fan magazines just about Elvis on the newsstands in at least 73,74,75,76 and 77.
There was even a book sold through the elementary school's Scholastic Books in the 70's called: "Meet Elvis Presley" By Favius Friedman

Yes, A Star Is Born got a lot of publicity and he should have made the movie but Elvis was not unknown to the vast majority children in the 70's and making ASIB (Which was an adult movie) wasn't going to make him known to any more children than he already was. There wasn't Entertainment Tonight or Extra on TV and serious news didn't cover gossip or entertainment news like they do now. The only publicity for ASIB was basically in print. Streisand also rarely did television shows or specials anymore at this point.

BTW, When Elvis came here for his Vail trip in 1976 and here in Denver for the police funeral it was huge news all over the papers and on local TV. He showed up at the church for the funeral which had a school in it wand one of my friend's brothers went to that school and saw him and knew exactly who he was. When he performed her in April 76 it got huge local coverage and front page pictures and articles for 2 days in our local newspapers. In the summer of 1977 (before he died) Elvis donated the Blue and Silver Phoenix suit to that church to be raffled at their church festival. They had it on display and we would drive around the festival with Elvis Music blaring and teenage girls would scream and chase us. If they didn't who he was, how did they know to scream?

I had several magazines from the time (People, Photoplay , Faces, etc., that had articles about Streisand and ASIB and about Elvis and his touring in the same issue and some with both of their pictures on the cover!


Yeah, it's pretty hard to believe they didn't know who Elvis was in the 70's. If you owned a TV or a radio, read a newspaper or ever went to a supermarket in the 70's; you knew who Elvis was whether you were a kid or an adult. I didn't become am Elvis fan until I was 13 in 1973 but I new who he was as far as I remember from seeing his movies on TV, from hearing him on the radio, from seeing his records at the record store. I can't recall exactly how I first heard about him, he was always just a looming presence whether he was on TV a lot or not.