Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: A Star Is Born

Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:49 pm

It would not have been misguided if Elvis wanted to try to gain credibility in a non singing role and the big screen offers weren't coming.

You are thinking of crappy made for television films.

There were some really good made for television movies being made during the 1970s.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:19 am

brian wrote:It would not have been misguided if Elvis wanted to try to gain credibility in a non singing role and the big screen offers weren't coming.

There were some really good made for television movies being made during the 1970s.

Elvis was bigger than made-for-tv movies during the 1970s.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:43 am

midnightx wrote:
brian wrote:It would not have been misguided if Elvis wanted to try to gain credibility in a non singing role and the big screen offers weren't coming.

Elvis was bigger than made-for-tv movies during the 1970s.

Bingo!

Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:37 am

Brian, I agree with others that say that Elvis was already just TOO big a star for TV at this time. It is unfortunate that he didn't use the medium more consistently throughout his career as it was the power of that TV screen that really launched it in the first place.

However, I also agree with you about the quality of many made-for-television movies during the 1970's. A case in point would be the iconic 1971 "Brian's Song" starring James Caan and Billy Dee Williams. It put both of these fine young actors on the map, landing James Caan a starring role with Barbra Streisand in "Funny Lady" (1975). Shelley Fabares played James Caan's wife in the movie. If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and watch it. A classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnt-BqOjaTQ

Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:05 am

MaryAnn wrote:

Brian, I agree with others that say that Elvis was already just TOO big a star for TV at this time. It is unfortunate that he didn't use the medium more consistently throughout his career as it was the power of that TV screen that really launched it in the first place.

However, I also agree with you about the quality of many made-for-television movies during the 1970's. A case in point would be the iconic 1971 "Brian's Song" starring James Caan and Billy Dee Williams. It put both of these fine young actors on the map, landing James Caan a starring role with Barbra Streisand in "Funny Lady" (1975). Shelley Fabares played James Caan's wife in the movie. If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and watch it. A classic.

Although "Brian's Song" was a memorable TV movie, it's far more likely James Caan landed a starring role with Streisand because of his Oscar-nominated, Best Supporting Actor performance as Sonny Corleone in 1972's "The Godfather."

Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:08 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:

Although "Brian's Song" was a memorable TV movie, it's far more likely James Caan landed a starring role with Streisand because of his Oscar-nominated, Best Supporting Actor performance as Sonny Corleone in 1972's "The Godfather."

Fair enough. But what led to Caan's role in "The Godfather?" "Brian's Song" is still a high point in Caan's resume.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:47 pm

MaryAnn wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:Brian, I agree with others that say that Elvis was already just TOO big a star for TV at this time. It is unfortunate that he didn't use the medium more consistently throughout his career as it was the power of that TV screen that really launched it in the first place.

Fair enough. But what led to Caan's role in "The Godfather?" "Brian's Song" is still a high point in Caan's resume.

Caan likely made a big impression with this 1969 film, written and directed by Francis Ford Coppola:

The Rain People
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rain_People

Robert Duvall was a costar, and he would also be cast in an important role in the 1972 Coppola classic. In fact, casting for the Paramount film was complete about six months before "Brian's Song" aired on ABC-TV in November 1971.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:44 pm

Yes, there were a few important, quality TV movies in the 70's but if you were an actor in a TV movie you were one of 3 things; You were either a dedicated TV star actor like Robert Wagner or you were a new actor on your way up or an established actor on your way down. If you were an established movie star and you did a TV movie, your chances of getting another starring role in a major motion picture were slim to none.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:05 pm

eligain wrote:Yes, there were a few important, quality TV movies in the 70's but if you were an actor in a TV movie you were one of 3 things; You were either a dedicated TV star actor like Robert Wagner or you were a new actor on your way up or an established actor on your way down. If you were an established movie star and you did a TV movie, your chances of getting another starring role in a major motion picture were slim to none.

Except Elvis had not really established himself as a serious dramatic actor.

All I am saying is if the offers weren't coming for any quality serious dramatic role in films it may have been a good option for Elvis to look for a really good script in a television film.

If he could find one maybe he should have done it.

If Elvis could give a really good performance in a non singing role in a quality televison movie that could have gotten him noticed by producers and directors for non singing roles in big screen films.

The audience watching this t.v. movie would have been huge.

Sometimes established movie actors will appear in television movies in between their film roles.

Anthony Hopkins, Robert Duvall, Dustin Hoffman have all done it because they liked the role.

James Caan was an established movie actor who had played in some good films before he did Brian's song and then afterwards he went back to doing theatrical films.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:16 pm

I am glad Elvis did not do that film. It was a bad film. The only winners would be Barbra and her boyfriend. Reminds me of those Duet albums by Sinatra and others. Only the hot newcomers really benefit. Sheeeet...Ann Margaret almost stole the show when Elvis was still very hot (selling millions) and younger. Barbara Streisand and Co. would have had Elvis Presley for breakfast! And then some!! ::rocks

Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:36 pm

Juan Luis wrote:I am glad Elvis did not do that film. It was a bad film. The only winners would be Barbra and her boyfriend. Reminds me of those Duet albums by Sinatra and others. Only the hot newcomers really benefit. Sheeeet...Ann Margaret almost stole the show when Elvis was still very hot (selling millions) and younger. Barbara Streisand and Co. would have had Elvis Presley for breakfast! And then some!! ::rocks

Bad film aside, there was not much good happening in Elvis' career anyway at this time. I cannot see how him making this film would be a downside compared to his other movies If for nothing else, the soundtrack would have sold millions something he was not doing anymore.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:41 pm

r&b wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:I am glad Elvis did not do that film. It was a bad film. The only winners would be Barbra and her boyfriend. Reminds me of those Duet albums by Sinatra and others. Only the hot newcomers really benefit. Sheeeet...Ann Margaret almost stole the show when Elvis was still very hot (selling millions) and younger. Barbara Streisand and Co. would have had Elvis Presley for breakfast! And then some!! ::rocks

Bad film aside, there was not much good happening in Elvis' career anyway at this time. I cannot see how him making this film would be a downside compared to his other movies If for nothing else, the soundtrack would have sold millions something he was not doing anymore.

It was Barbara Streisand's album though.

She was credited with the success and the sales as it should have been.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:05 pm

brian wrote:
r&b wrote:

So what? If Elvis had songs on the album, who cares if she got credit for the sales? His songs would have played in millions of homes and maybe even on the radio again. Is everyone that hung up on Elvis' sales on this site? Its exposure man. That's the big picture. Does everyone forget the 1977 CBS TV special where the nice looking lady is taking her 13 year old to see Elvis In Concert and she says her kid has no idea who the man is? How can a 13 year old not know who Elvis Presley is? Anyone remember that? Well by him making this movie, I'm sure her daughter would have known! But he died, so everyone sort of knew then anyway, didn't they!

Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:19 pm

r&b wrote:
brian wrote:
r&b wrote:

So what? If Elvis had songs on the album, who cares if she got credit for the sales? His songs would have played in millions of homes and maybe even on the radio again. Is everyone that hung up on Elvis' sales on this site?

Elvis had nine #1 albums in his lifetime.

The A Star is Born soundtrack wouldn't have been credited as Elvis' tenth #1 album.

Streisand got to sing the best songs in the film, the majority of the songs and the biggest hit singles from the film.

That is something to ponder.

Yes, i am hung up about Elvis' sales.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:46 pm

r&b wrote:
brian wrote:
r&b wrote:

Does everyone forget the 1977 CBS TV special where the nice looking lady is taking her 13 year old to see Elvis In Concert and she says her kid has no idea who the man is? How can a 13 year old not know who Elvis Presley is? Anyone remember that? Well by him making this movie, I'm sure her daughter would have known! But he died, so everyone sort of knew then anyway, didn't they!

That's the reason Elvis should have appeared on television a few more times in the 1970s.

People too young to have seen Elvis on Ed Sullivan or Milton Berle in the 50s or his films in the 1960s were unfamiliar with him.

Elvis was only on television once with Aloha during the 1970s but if he had appeared a little bit more often America's youngsters would be more likely to have known him.

I certainly get your point about doing A Star is Born for the exposure.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:06 am

brian wrote:
r&b wrote:
brian wrote:
r&b wrote:

Does everyone forget the 1977 CBS TV special where the nice looking lady is taking her 13 year old to see Elvis In Concert and she says her kid has no idea who the man is? How can a 13 year old not know who Elvis Presley is? Anyone remember that? Well by him making this movie, I'm sure her daughter would have known! But he died, so everyone sort of knew then anyway, didn't they!

That's the reason Elvis should have appeared on television a few more times in the 1970s.

People too young to have seen Elvis on Ed Sullivan or Milton Berle in the 50s or his films in the 1960s were unfamiliar with him.

Elvis was only on television once with Aloha during the 1970s but if he had appeared a little bit more often America's youngsters would be more likely to have known him.

I certainly get your point about doing A Star is Born for the exposure.

BS! Elvis was actually on TV almost constantly in the 70's through his movies. His movies were on in the afternoon after school. They were on the local and network late movie. They were on in prime time as well. They were on all times of the day. That lady who said here 13 year old daughter didn't know who Elvis was, must not have ever let her watch TV. I was 16 when Elvis died and everyone, even kids knew who Elvis was in the 60's and 70's. He needed to do ASIB but not for exposure.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:23 pm

Watching Paradise Hawaiian Style or Clambake on TV instead of seeing Elvis live doing a great concert in the 70's are very different things. The overexposure was of his movies being on TV. Too bad he didn't more live shows on TV in the 70's.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:06 pm

Scoff if you want but there were young people that didn't know who Elvis was in the mid to late 70s before his death.

Then his death brought huge media attention for him.

Not everyone was watching Elvis' movies or paying attention when they came on.

I was thinking Elvis should have done the occassional variety show appearence in the 1970s to get more exposure for himself.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:36 pm

Maybe Elvis should have been on some game shows during the 70's as well.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:49 pm

midnightx wrote:Maybe Elvis should have been on some game shows during the 70's as well.

He would have been great on "Match Game" with Charles Nelson Reilly.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:57 pm

brian wrote:Scoff if you want but there were young people that didn't know who Elvis was in the mid to late 70s before his death.

I was thinking Elvis should have done the occassional variety show appearence in the 1970s to get more exposure for himself.

Well, I didn't know anyone who didn't know who Elvis was. I wasn't an Elvis fan until after I saw Elvis in Vegas in 1973 with my parents when I was 12 but I knew who Elvis was way before that and everyone I knew, boy or girl, who were even 3 years or more younger than me knew who Elvis was. His movies were just on TV too much, his music was on the radio too much, he was mentioned in pop culture too much, he was plastered on the covers of movie magazines and supermarket tabloids too much for adult or child to not know who Elvis was. Elvis was a massive presence in the 60's and 70's. They used to say that he was the most recognizable person in the world and the only figure more recognizable was Mickey Mouse.

I agree that the Elvis of Elvis On Tour and TTWII and of the Aloha Special was not seen as much but they all had multiple showings before he died and this was the days of only 4 or 5 TV channels so they were hard to miss.
Last edited by eligain on Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:19 pm

As shock jock Howard Stern once said , the best thing Elvis ever did for his career was die. it peed me off at the time he said it, but reflecting back, he was probably right. Record sales took off like they did in the 50's once and the Elvis image was born to market like never before.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:55 pm

eligain wrote:
brian wrote:Scoff if you want but there were young people that didn't know who Elvis was in the mid to late 70s before his death.

Well, I didn't know anyone who didn't know who Elvis was. I wasn't an Elvis fan until after I saw Elvis in Vegas in 1973 with my parents when I was 12 but I knew who Elvis was way before that and everyone I knew, boy or girl, who were even 3 years or more younger than me knew who Elvis was.

Consider that Elvis in the 1970s was older so he wasn't getting played on top 40 radio stations as much as he use to and largely because of that he wasn't selling as many records as he did in the 1950s and 1960s.

Elvis wasn't making new films anymore and he rarely appeared on television.

Elvis makes an appearence on television in 1968 then he doesn't appear again until five years later.

No wonder there were children that didn't know who he was.

By 1976 all Elvis was doing was appearing in concert in largely secondary markets, Tahoe and Vegas.

r&b makes a good point that Elvis should have done A Star is Born strictly for the exposure.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:06 pm

brian wrote:
eligain wrote:

Well, I didn't know anyone who didn't know who Elvis was. I wasn't an Elvis fan until after I saw Elvis in Vegas in 1973 with my parents when I was 12 but I knew who Elvis was way before that and everyone I knew, boy or girl, who were even 3 years or more younger than me knew who Elvis was.

Consider that Elvis in the 1970s was older so he wasn't getting played on top 40 radio stations as much as he use to and largely because of that he wasn't selling as many records as he did in the 1950s and 1960s.

Elvis wasn't making new films anymore and he rarely appeared on television.

Elvis makes an appearence on television in 1968 then he doesn't appear again until five years later.

No wonder there were children that didn't know who he was.

By 1976 all Elvis was doing was appearing in concert in largely secondary markets, Tahoe and Vegas.

r&b makes a good point that Elvis should have done A Star is Born strictly for the exposure.
And critics would use the cliche "art imitating life" or the other way around.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:19 pm

Yes.

I believe films critics would have said Elvis was just playing a variation of himself and it would have gave him no credibility as an actor whatsoever.

Still being in the film would have brought Elvis publicity.