Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: wow! Elvis doesn't sell? I am shocked!

Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:52 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Jaime1234 wrote:
sweetangeline wrote:I think it`s more fair to say that "Elvis don`t sell like he used too", but that is a sign of the times! I`m quite sure that Sony is happy with the 4th quarter sales from last year alone, on new and catalog items. I mentioned this in another thread that I believe Elvis` sales will increase between 2014 - 2017, but I don`t mean on the scale of Elvis 30#1 Hits back in 2002. There is alot of Elvis product out there from many, many different sources and it isn`t continuing to being produced just to look at, but I do think that people put way too much into things like the BILLBOARD 200 or the HOT 100, Sony are happy with TOTAL SALES overall, including FTD products or they would not be produced. Even MUSICONVINYL, FRIDAYMUSIC and SPEAKERS CORNER have put out some very nice Elvis vinyl. It comes and goes with Elvis, it always has!!

Right on. Thirty five million and two hundred thousand (LOL ) albums beind sold, since Soundscan, is fantastic. Second to the Beatles, amongst catalog artists, and second to the Beatles, by RIAA figures, amongst all artists (134.5 to 177 million). They're happy...

Yes, but how many of those albums were sold in the period 1992 to, say, 2006? I'm sure the figures for the last few years are way down on the previous decade or so.

But the blame for some of that has to rest with Sony - they have basically used FTD for all unreleased/interesting material. There has been no new career spanning boxed sets containing interesting material for fan and casual buyer alike since around 2002, for example. Yes, there was YMWTBB - but it contained material that had been available to fans already (with the exception of about half an hour), and most casual buyers won't want endless takes of the same song. Platinum etc, just contained one take of each song making it more palatable. While FTD results in an almost guaranteed number of sales, it also keeps new and interesting Elvis product off Amazon, out of shops, and therefore out of the buyers spotlight.

with regards to the soundscan figures from 1991 - 2013, over that period I would agree that sales were higher between `91 and `2003 then they are the last 10 yrs, however as I stated earlier that is simply down to the sign of the times and diminishing cd sales. Although I don`t agree with every decision Sony makes, I`m not quite sure that had they done things differently (specifically in the last 10 yrs) would there have been some major increase of sales over that ten year period, for example lets put out PLATINUM or TODAY,TOMORROW & FOREVER in 2010, how much do you think they really would have sold...??

Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:22 pm

sweetangeline wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Jaime1234 wrote:
sweetangeline wrote:I think it`s more fair to say that "Elvis don`t sell like he used too", but that is a sign of the times! I`m quite sure that Sony is happy with the 4th quarter sales from last year alone, on new and catalog items. I mentioned this in another thread that I believe Elvis` sales will increase between 2014 - 2017, but I don`t mean on the scale of Elvis 30#1 Hits back in 2002. There is alot of Elvis product out there from many, many different sources and it isn`t continuing to being produced just to look at, but I do think that people put way too much into things like the BILLBOARD 200 or the HOT 100, Sony are happy with TOTAL SALES overall, including FTD products or they would not be produced. Even MUSICONVINYL, FRIDAYMUSIC and SPEAKERS CORNER have put out some very nice Elvis vinyl. It comes and goes with Elvis, it always has!!

Right on. Thirty five million and two hundred thousand (LOL ) albums beind sold, since Soundscan, is fantastic. Second to the Beatles, amongst catalog artists, and second to the Beatles, by RIAA figures, amongst all artists (134.5 to 177 million). They're happy...

Yes, but how many of those albums were sold in the period 1992 to, say, 2006? I'm sure the figures for the last few years are way down on the previous decade or so.

But the blame for some of that has to rest with Sony - they have basically used FTD for all unreleased/interesting material. There has been no new career spanning boxed sets containing interesting material for fan and casual buyer alike since around 2002, for example. Yes, there was YMWTBB - but it contained material that had been available to fans already (with the exception of about half an hour), and most casual buyers won't want endless takes of the same song. Platinum etc, just contained one take of each song making it more palatable. While FTD results in an almost guaranteed number of sales, it also keeps new and interesting Elvis product off Amazon, out of shops, and therefore out of the buyers spotlight.

with regards to the soundscan figures from 1991 - 2013, over that period I would agree that sales were higher between `91 and `2003 then they are the last 10 yrs, however as I stated earlier that is simply down to the sign of the times and diminishing cd sales. Although I don`t agree with every decision Sony makes, I`m not quite sure that had they done things differently (specifically in the last 10 yrs) would there have been some major increase of sales over that ten year period, for example lets put out PLATINUM or TODAY,TOMORROW & FOREVER in 2010, how much do you think they really would have sold...??

I don't know is the answer. But in those years of 1991 to around 2002 there was a steady stream of interesting Elvis projects hitting the shelves, from the decade boxes to the Essential Elvis series to the Platinum, Today Tomorrow and Forever Boxes. Over the last few years there has really been nothing released that has raised eyebrows or really got the music world talking - prince for another planet...possibly. A boy From Tupelo might well have got that interest in Elvis stirred up in Elvis again (at least amongst rock music lovers) had it been released in stores, but most probably didn't even know it existed. But the Legacy editions are, for the most part, just re-releases of the original albums, and other than that there is an endless stream of repackaging of hits and christmas songs. Very little else. That eye-opening release to spark interest just hasn't been there.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:49 pm

Maybe Elvis doesn't sell well in this store BECAUSE he doesn't have an Elvis section. :D

Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:54 pm

Well you must ask the question - who will buy Elvis anymore? The people on this or another Elvis forum? The casual fan just wants the hits and 30# 1's would satisfy the majority. The hardcore collector has most of the vinyl already so why would he/she visit a record store? Elvis has been around a long long time, so sooner or later this had to happen. I have been hearing this actually for years. A store owner told me about 20 years ago Elvis doesn't sell nearly as much as he did the peak years 1978-85. The drop off was huge in his store so he didn't bother to seek out and stock a lot of Elvis. This was in NJ. So take it for what its worth. Also, the damn catalog is so watered down, you may go into a store and just find Camdens and Pickwicks and who the heck wants that crap?

Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:38 pm

poormadpeter wrote:There were stories, whether true or not we don't know for sure, that Prince for Another Planet has only relatively small runs in Europe - this wouldnt happen if Elvis sold well. That's not the way it works. That long awaited release barely made a dent in the album charts despite great predictions from people on here.

As for used record stores, they can only buy in what people sell them - there isn't a big warehouse where they can buy quality used albums over camdens or greatest hits. Either way, the owners of those shops know whether an artist sells or not. No matter what they have in their racks, they know how many people come in and ask about that artist, or talk about that artist, or reminisce about that artist. Used record store owners are savvy and more often that not track the ups and down in sales of various artists far better than walmart, or hmv or whoever. There is no reason for them to lie to you.

There is this blinkered view on here that Elvis is still remarkably popular - but how many people actually visit these boards on a regular basis? Not many - it's basically just a small core group. Perhaps 100 regulars at any one time. Out of the whole internet - and this is generally regarded as the best forum. What does that tell you about Presley's popularity at this time?

As I have said many times before, the popularity of certain singers, film actors, film directors, authors - whoever - rise and fall during different periods and, for various reasons, Presley is in a trough at the moment. I don't think it's helped by a lack of imagination in rejuvenating the catalogue and making it accessible and interesting to non-fans or casual fans - Johnny Cash's complete Columbia output of 59 albums can be bought for just over £100, the complete Elvis was four times that amount; the Legacy editions are basically twofers with little of interest in the way of bonus tracks. That's some of it, and causes interest to wane. But it's not all of it. It's just one of those things that happens. At some point a director will use an Elvis soundtrack in a film, for example, and it will capture the imagination and Elvis will rise again.

One has to agree with this - but there is another side that needs to be explained, hopefully someone can.

I recall reading here a few months ago that Elvis was the 10th best selling artist on the Billboard catalogue charts in 2012, and if I recall rightly those above him were active acts eg, Adele, T Swift or recently departed Whitney Houston.
Many major acts did not appear in the top 10, no Stones, Dylan, J Z, Beyonce, Maria Carey, Madonna nor many other grade A artists dead or alive, active or inactive.
This needs explaining.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:07 pm

FredAistair wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:There were stories, whether true or not we don't know for sure, that Prince for Another Planet has only relatively small runs in Europe - this wouldnt happen if Elvis sold well. That's not the way it works. That long awaited release barely made a dent in the album charts despite great predictions from people on here.

As for used record stores, they can only buy in what people sell them - there isn't a big warehouse where they can buy quality used albums over camdens or greatest hits. Either way, the owners of those shops know whether an artist sells or not. No matter what they have in their racks, they know how many people come in and ask about that artist, or talk about that artist, or reminisce about that artist. Used record store owners are savvy and more often that not track the ups and down in sales of various artists far better than walmart, or hmv or whoever. There is no reason for them to lie to you.

There is this blinkered view on here that Elvis is still remarkably popular - but how many people actually visit these boards on a regular basis? Not many - it's basically just a small core group. Perhaps 100 regulars at any one time. Out of the whole internet - and this is generally regarded as the best forum. What does that tell you about Presley's popularity at this time?

As I have said many times before, the popularity of certain singers, film actors, film directors, authors - whoever - rise and fall during different periods and, for various reasons, Presley is in a trough at the moment. I don't think it's helped by a lack of imagination in rejuvenating the catalogue and making it accessible and interesting to non-fans or casual fans - Johnny Cash's complete Columbia output of 59 albums can be bought for just over £100, the complete Elvis was four times that amount; the Legacy editions are basically twofers with little of interest in the way of bonus tracks. That's some of it, and causes interest to wane. But it's not all of it. It's just one of those things that happens. At some point a director will use an Elvis soundtrack in a film, for example, and it will capture the imagination and Elvis will rise again.

One has to agree with this - but there is another side that needs to be explained, hopefully someone can.

I recall reading here a few months ago that Elvis was the 10th best selling artist on the Billboard catalogue charts in 2012, and if I recall rightly those above him were active acts eg, Adele, T Swift or recently departed Whitney Houston.
Many major acts did not appear in the top 10, no Stones, Dylan, J Z, Beyonce, Maria Carey, Madonna nor many other grade A artists dead or alive, active or inactive.
This needs explaining.

Well one explanation would be with all the product that is out there, consumers can pick and choose from many. Those other artists you mention do not have the back catalog and the re-issue of material that Elvis does. So if Madonna or Dylan come out with a new album, it sells to their fan base and is done with. With Elvis, its one album here, one album there, and it totals up to outsell the one album by any of the other artists you mention, however a new album by Elvis, whether a Legacy Edt or whatever will not outsell a new album by Dylan, Stones or Madonna. its the accumulation effect of it all IMO.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:15 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:It was explained to me by big record dealers on those Record Fairs that Elvis was never such a big hit on the East Coast he was more a Mid-West of USA hit. Then I understood why Elvis was so afraid of performing in New York.

Elvis was more of a hit in the Midwest? Those dealers fed you a line of hogwash

Think what ever you want you were not there :smt018 .

Conversation between dealers and me:

Me: Do you happen to have any Elvis records? :).

Dealer: Not many :cry:, you know Elvis was not a big hit on the East Coast, he was more of a big hit in the Mid-West. You want Beatles or Stones? I have hunderds!!!!!!! :shock: .

Me: Well, is there any Record Fair around the East Coast where I can find a big selection of Elvis records?. :?

Dealer: If you really want to find all kind of Elvis records and memorabilia I suggest you to go the biggest Record Fair in USA, you´ll find hunderds!!!!!!!! 8).

Me: Where is this Record Fair? :smt007.

Dealer: It´s in Austin.

http://www.austinrecords.com/

Me: Austin?.

Dealer: Yes Austin, Texas (Mid-West).

phpBB [video]

Me: Thanks for the info! :smt023

Bye for now :smt006.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:35 pm

sgoodyear62 wrote:My husband found a cool little used record store called "Grooves and Tubes" here in Delaware and we went today to check it out.Had LOTS of vinyl everything from jazz to grunge.Huge Beatles and Stones section.So here I am looking around for the Elvis section.Found a few albums in the "'50's vocals" section. "Pot Luck with Elvis", "Blue Hawaii" a few others. So my husband asks the owner "Where's your Elvis section at?" ..the owner says "Elvis doesn't sell too good here.That's why there is no Elvis section". I was shocked! and so was my hubby. We've hit a few Used record stores around here and it's all the same "Elvis doesn't sell!" I can't believe this is true! Has anyone else had this experience when visiting a used record store? I never thought i'd see a day like this come. Or is it only in Delaware?? We both spent about an hour looking around and then left in disgust. The thrill is gone visiting these places now.Both our combined Elvis collections will just age and rot I guess since no one wants Elvis around here ! :shock:

Stores only selling vinyl is extremely rare today. However I do know of a few stores selling vinyl along with books, CDs, DVDs and VHS tapes. Both have an Elvis section-bins but items are ridiculously overpriced. It's not that Elvis doesn't sell, it's the sign of today's demand imo... not many people are interested in buying vinyl. Both store owners told me about half of their vinyl customers are more interested in framing the cover than actually playing the record. The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper album is #1 and Elvis is second among customers wanting to frame the covers. Their top selling Elvis album for framing... 50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong, Elvis' Gold Records - Volume 2.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:42 pm

Let's take it optimistically. In 2006, Elvis didn't appear in the top 20 list of Soundscan catalog artists. The leader was the Beatles. The next to last time i saw, and that was in 2007, he was now inside the Top 20. The Beatles, still on top. Then, last year, he was inside the top 15, landing at 14. The Beatles still on top. And this year, he's went inside the top 12, landing at number 11, the Beatles still on top. Same with the RIAA, in terms of albums. In 2007, as was the case in 2010, and even now, it's the Beatles, followed by Elvis, 99 percent of nthe time, with Garth Brooks getting ahead of Elvis once in that period, but the period being very short, as Elvis bounced back to second place real quickly. It's the Beatles and Elvis, in alnums, and Elvis and the Beatles, in singles sales in the US and the4 UK, the world's two largest markets. When you add all the countries of the world, only they, Elvis and the Beatles, can reach a billion units of singles, albums, and boxes.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:34 pm

Jaime1234 wrote:Let's take it optimistically. In 2006, Elvis didn't appear in the top 20 list of Soundscan catalog artists. The leader was the Beatles. The next to last time i saw, and that was in 2007, he was now inside the Top 20. The Beatles, still on top. Then, last year, he was inside the top 15, landing at 14. The Beatles still on top. And this year, he's went inside the top 12, landing at number 11, the Beatles still on top. Same with the RIAA, in terms of albums. In 2007, as was the case in 2010, and even now, it's the Beatles, followed by Elvis, 99 percent of nthe time, with Garth Brooks getting ahead of Elvis once in that period, but the period being very short, as Elvis bounced back to second place real quickly. It's the Beatles and Elvis, in alnums, and Elvis and the Beatles, in singles sales in the US and the4 UK, the world's two largest markets. When you add all the countries of the world, only they, Elvis and the Beatles, can reach a billion units of singles, albums, and boxes.

Hi Jaime,

Billboard’s 2012 Year End Catalog Artists

1. Whitney Houston
2. Adele
3. Taylor Swift
4. Eminem
5. The Black Keys
6. Lady Antebellum
7. Florence + The Machine
8. Guns n' Roses
9. Zac Brown Band
10. ELVIS PRESLEY

Brian

Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:20 pm

poormadpeter wrote:I don't know is the answer.

probably no more than ELVIS 75 GOOD ROCKIN` TONIGHT.

poormadpeter wrote:prince for another planet...possibly

absolutely

poormadpeter wrote: A boy From Tupelo might well have got that interest in Elvis stirred up in Elvis again (at least amongst rock music lovers) had it been released in stores,

it will be...just a different version, hence my comments about upcoming releases between 2014 - 2017

poormadpeter wrote:That eye-opening release to spark interest just hasn't been there.

be patient...there all coming...eventually :D

Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:20 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:
Jaime1234 wrote:Let's take it optimistically. In 2006, Elvis didn't appear in the top 20 list of Soundscan catalog artists. The leader was the Beatles. The next to last time i saw, and that was in 2007, he was now inside the Top 20. The Beatles, still on top. Then, last year, he was inside the top 15, landing at 14. The Beatles still on top. And this year, he's went inside the top 12, landing at number 11, the Beatles still on top. Same with the RIAA, in terms of albums. In 2007, as was the case in 2010, and even now, it's the Beatles, followed by Elvis, 99 percent of nthe time, with Garth Brooks getting ahead of Elvis once in that period, but the period being very short, as Elvis bounced back to second place real quickly. It's the Beatles and Elvis, in alnums, and Elvis and the Beatles, in singles sales in the US and the4 UK, the world's two largest markets. When you add all the countries of the world, only they, Elvis and the Beatles, can reach a billion units of singles, albums, and boxes.

Hi Jaime,

1. Whitney Houston
2. Adele
3. Taylor Swift
4. Eminem
5. The Black Keys
6. Lady Antebellum
8. Guns n' Roses
9. Zac Brown Band
10. ELVIS PRESLEY

Brian

Interesting that there is no Beach Boys or Stones since they both celebrated 50 years last year

Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:58 am

I can't believe Sleepy LaBeef isn't on that top ten list!

Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:18 am

joshferrell wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote:

Hi Jaime,

1. Whitney Houston
2. Adele
3. Taylor Swift
4. Eminem
5. The Black Keys
6. Lady Antebellum
8. Guns n' Roses
9. Zac Brown Band
10. ELVIS PRESLEY

Brian

Interesting that there is no Beach Boys or Stones since they both celebrated 50 years last year

But we need to look at these figures and what they mean. If we are going by total albums sold, the picture isn't so rosy as it looks. Elvis is there a number 10, yes. But think how many Elvis CDs are out there - how many greatest hits, how many legacy edition, back catalogue albums etc. Because the catalogue is so vast, only a relatively small amount of units of each CD would need to be sold to get Elvis on to that list?

Looking at that more closely, Amazon UK (as an example) has 84 guns n roses CDs that are available via Prime (I'm using Prime as a rough indication that they are in still in print)
The same site has 263 Elvis CDs available via Prime - the search I did was for "Elvis Presley Sony", in order to avoid the public domain issues. A further 56 come up under the search "Elvis Presley BMG" (making approx 327 Elvis Sony CDs in stock)
That means there are four times the amount of Elvis titles out there as Guns N Roses. Or, to put it another way, Guns N Roses need to sell 4 times as many copies of each CD as Elvis does to reach number 10 in the above chart - but actually they are above him.

If you look at it that way, Elvis CD aren't selling in high numbers, there is just a high number of CDs available.

Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:17 am

joshferrell wrote:I had that happen in Boulder Colorado awhile back, of course the crowd in Boulder is more hippy and preppy and the hippies are more into the grateful dead, the beatles and Bob marley, and the preppys are more into jazz . so this one local record store didn't have any Elvis at all and I asked him why and he said he doesn't sell around these parts..so there you go.. I think there's a class thing that may be going on as well..

Boulder used to have a great used record store on Pearl Street that had a great big Elvis vinyl section and many rarities behind the counter. Don't know if they moved or went out of business last year. In Denver there is Twist And Shout Records. They have a big Elvis vinyl album section and a big Elvis singles and ep section. They even have many of the old vinyl bootlegs.

Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:40 pm

Perhaps a bit off-topic, but what annoys me these days is when I look for Elvis CDs in Dutch record shops is that all I see are CDs with songs that are in Public Domain with shitty covers for just a couple of euros. No quality products or whatsoever. Also, if you're looking for late 60's or 70's material, you won't find anything.

Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:02 pm

Shakin48 wrote:but what annoys me these days is when I look for Elvis CDs in Dutch record shops is that all I see are CDs with songs that are in Public Domain with shitty covers for just a couple of euros. No quality products or whatsoever.

nice description. and I totally agree, most Elvis PD releases suck big time!!

Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:19 pm

sweetangeline wrote:
Shakin48 wrote:but what annoys me these days is when I look for Elvis CDs in Dutch record shops is that all I see are CDs with songs that are in Public Domain with shitty covers for just a couple of euros. No quality products or whatsoever.

According to the producers of these PD titles, they sell quite well because they are very cheap and people want to have some hits without having to pay full price.

Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:32 pm

eligain wrote:
joshferrell wrote:I had that happen in Boulder Colorado awhile back, of course the crowd in Boulder is more hippy and preppy and the hippies are more into the grateful dead, the beatles and Bob marley, and the preppys are more into jazz . so this one local record store didn't have any Elvis at all and I asked him why and he said he doesn't sell around these parts..so there you go.. I think there's a class thing that may be going on as well..

Boulder used to have a great used record store on Pearl Street that had a great big Elvis vinyl section and many rarities behind the counter. Don't know if they moved or went out of business last year. In Denver there is Twist And Shout Records. They have a big Elvis vinyl album section and a big Elvis singles and ep section. They even have many of the old vinyl bootlegs.

if you're talking about Barts cd cellar, yeah they went out of business, yeah they had a great selection, they also had great deals on dvds and box sets..

Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:49 pm

sweetangeline wrote:

Same here...
I have to buy either via Internet or through Elvis dealers.

Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:12 pm

sweetangeline wrote:

absolutely

poormadpeter wrote: A boy From Tupelo might well have got that interest in Elvis stirred up in Elvis again (at least amongst rock music lovers) had it been released in stores,

it will be...just a different version, hence my comments about upcoming releases between 2014 - 2017

poormadpeter wrote:That eye-opening release to spark interest just hasn't been there.

An eye-opening release? If you are talking any of the Elvis masters, they have been out there for 50 years in all types of diff releases so why would they matter again now repackaged? What could stir up interest (and the purists will hate this) is to present Elvis' music in a newer modern fashion and by that I mean strip everything off but the vocal and put modern arrangements on them because lets face it, they sound dated to young music buyers today. Maybe a duet album with todays top stars and I don't mean country stars (think Adele, Gaga, etc). Should be mostly unknown songs like ALLC instead of the classics. Back it with a huge promo campaign and I guarantee people would take notice. For the folks that hate this idea, you always have your masters to play. Viva Elvis was awful, it must be better than that!

Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:13 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:According to the producers of these PD titles, they sell quite well because they are very cheap and people want to have some hits without having to pay full price.

which equals this;

"I don`t have the time to do any real research so I`ll just buy something real cheap that contain some Elvis songs I like without truly realising what I`m getting with an Elvis PD release 95% of the time"

Sony has put out some very inexpensive elvis cd`s for these type of people...and many are still available!!

Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:17 pm

joshferrell wrote:
eligain wrote:

if you're talking about Barts cd cellar, yeah they went out of business, yeah they had a great selection, they also had great deals on dvds and box sets..

Yeah, Barts. Too bad they went out of business. I found several almost mint Elvis albums including "50 World Wide Hits, The Other Sides" with the poster and clothing sample still intact. I also found mint condition all of Dean Martin Reprise Albums! If you're still in Colorado, check out Twist And Shout on East Colfax and Black And Read on Wadsworth in Arvada.

Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:04 pm

I think most of the record shops you visit will have a few average condition Elvis records with nothing special. No reason for them to sale. I was lucky enough to find a very nice "Promised Land" Quad LP a couple of months ago locally for $5.00.

Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:32 pm

r&b wrote:
sweetangeline wrote:

absolutely

An eye-opening release? If you are talking any of the Elvis masters, they have been out there for 50 years in all types of diff releases so why would they matter again now repackaged? What could stir up interest (and the purists will hate this) is to present Elvis' music in a newer modern fashion and by that I mean strip everything off but the vocal and put modern arrangements on them because lets face it, they sound dated to young music buyers today. Maybe a duet album with todays top stars and I don't mean country stars (think Adele, Gaga, etc). Should be mostly unknown songs like ALLC instead of the classics. Back it with a huge promo campaign and I guarantee people would take notice. For the folks that hate this idea, you always have your masters to play. Viva Elvis was awful, it must be better than that!

HadTupelo been issued at retail level, it would have been an eye-opening release. Had the Complete Masters been issued at retail level for a much lower price (as the complete Johnny Cash was) it might have at least got some press and interest. Had some of the best material issued on FTD been saved for a retail level package, that too might have raised some interest - the bootleg Cash, Dylan, Miles Davis series must sell well or they wouldn't keep adding to them, so why not Elvis? Other than the Sun package, there is nothing left that is likely to set the world afire, but the bland Legacy editions do nothing to raise interest at all - unlike for other artists whose entries in the series all have unreleased material on them. FTD might have served fans well, but it has resulted in a complete halt of the interesting retail level releases such as the essential series, and the string of boxed sets - and each one of those would have had at least a mention, and probably an article, in music magazines when released.