Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

wow! Elvis doesn't sell? I am shocked!

Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:57 am

My husband found a cool little used record store called "Grooves and Tubes" here in Delaware and we went today to check it out.Had LOTS of vinyl everything from jazz to grunge.Huge Beatles and Stones section.So here I am looking around for the Elvis section.Found a few albums in the "'50's vocals" section. "Pot Luck with Elvis", "Blue Hawaii" a few others. So my husband asks the owner "Where's your Elvis section at?" ..the owner says "Elvis doesn't sell too good here.That's why there is no Elvis section". I was shocked! and so was my hubby. We've hit a few Used record stores around here and it's all the same "Elvis doesn't sell!" I can't believe this is true! Has anyone else had this experience when visiting a used record store? I never thought i'd see a day like this come. Or is it only in Delaware?? We both spent about an hour looking around and then left in disgust. The thrill is gone visiting these places now.Both our combined Elvis collections will just age and rot I guess since no one wants Elvis around here ! :shock:

Re: wow! Elvis doesn't sell? I am shocked!

Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:23 am

Sign of the times? Don't know. In Europe there are some mega record exhibitions where Elvis is very popular and sells well. But local second hand record stores same thing, Elvis is nothing special. These days theoldies among us have their collection up to date i think. For me, i sold all my vinyl 7 years ago and never regret it. They were a heavy load every moving to another home. But i'm not sad that these days Elvis is less popular than years before. As long as i can listen to his music on crisp and clear silverdisc i'm happy. Right now i'm living in the carribbean for a few years and over here you can't even buy one Elvis cd!! So i buy them through Europe and send them over here.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:27 am

One thing I have noticed with used record stores.

One local store who always had an Elvis section but they almost always had,
soundtracks, Camden budgets, and greatest hits.

I asked the guy how well he sells, and he said, Elvis doesn't sell well.

No wonder, he never had quality albums in stock.

Another observation is another store in town, where they had some good stuff, but every thing is priced 4 or 5 times what it normally goes for.

How about $200 or $300 for 1956 or 1957 EP's. That is too high no matter what the condition.

This guy doesn't sell much elvis, why?? because he prices his stuff like its gold.

So, you really have to look at all the circumstances.

Elvis sells well on ebay where people are getting a fair price for what they are selling.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:45 am

There were stories, whether true or not we don't know for sure, that Prince for Another Planet has only relatively small runs in Europe - this wouldnt happen if Elvis sold well. That's not the way it works. That long awaited release barely made a dent in the album charts despite great predictions from people on here.

As for used record stores, they can only buy in what people sell them - there isn't a big warehouse where they can buy quality used albums over camdens or greatest hits. Either way, the owners of those shops know whether an artist sells or not. No matter what they have in their racks, they know how many people come in and ask about that artist, or talk about that artist, or reminisce about that artist. Used record store owners are savvy and more often that not track the ups and down in sales of various artists far better than walmart, or hmv or whoever. There is no reason for them to lie to you.

There is this blinkered view on here that Elvis is still remarkably popular - but how many people actually visit these boards on a regular basis? Not many - it's basically just a small core group. Perhaps 100 regulars at any one time. Out of the whole internet - and this is generally regarded as the best forum. What does that tell you about Presley's popularity at this time?

As I have said many times before, the popularity of certain singers, film actors, film directors, authors - whoever - rise and fall during different periods and, for various reasons, Presley is in a trough at the moment. I don't think it's helped by a lack of imagination in rejuvenating the catalogue and making it accessible and interesting to non-fans or casual fans - Johnny Cash's complete Columbia output of 59 albums can be bought for just over £100, the complete Elvis was four times that amount; the Legacy editions are basically twofers with little of interest in the way of bonus tracks. That's some of it, and causes interest to wane. But it's not all of it. It's just one of those things that happens. At some point a director will use an Elvis soundtrack in a film, for example, and it will capture the imagination and Elvis will rise again.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:38 am

Hi there!! :) :) :).

sgoodyear62 wrote:My husband found a cool little used record store called "Grooves and Tubes" here in Delaware and we went today to check it out.Had LOTS of vinyl everything from jazz to grunge.Huge Beatles and Stones section.So here I am looking around for the Elvis section.Found a few albums in the "'50's vocals" section. "Pot Luck with Elvis", "Blue Hawaii" a few others. So my husband asks the owner "Where's your Elvis section at?" ..the owner says "Elvis doesn't sell too good here.That's why there is no Elvis section". I was shocked! and so was my hubby. We've hit a few Used record stores around here and it's all the same "Elvis doesn't sell!" I can't believe this is true! Has anyone else had this experience when visiting a used record store? I never thought i'd see a day like this come. Or is it only in Delaware?? We both spent about an hour looking around and then left in disgust. The thrill is gone visiting these places now.Both our combined Elvis collections will just age and rot I guess since no one wants Elvis around here ! :shock:

From my experience I can tell you that after living for 4 years on the East Coast of USA I was very disappointed finding out that Elvis records were very difficult to find as well :shock:.

I went to many major Record Fairs in New York and Philadelphia area and not many Elvis records was I able to find :cry:. But there is an easy explanation why it is so difficult to find. It was explained to me by big record dealers on those Record Fairs that Elvis was never such a big hit on the East Coast he was more a Mid-West of USA hit. Then I understood why Elvis was so afraid of performing in New York.

Are you collecting Beatles and Rolling Stones?. Then you´ll find tons of vintage records on the East Coast of USA. Hope this answer your question :wink:. Bye for now :smt006
Last edited by Mike Windgren on Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:46 am

Just can't buy the east coast excuse nor for that being the reason for lack of NY shows. EP performed in every state on the east coast multiple times including the large cities.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:14 am

Delaware may not have Elvis albums in stock, but he is neverteless the second top catalog album seller in the US, and this is since Soundscan began in 1991, selling now in excess of 35.2 million albums in the 22 year period ending today. First act in the list is the Beatles, with 64.3 million, they in turn landing second to Garth Brooks, when you include ALL artists. In fact, Elvis is now nearing the top ten in the soundscan ALL artists list. Forget about the Stones, they're anywhere near him.

SOURCE FOR SOUNDSCAN SALES, FROM BILLBOARD ARTICLE APPEARING TODAY

http://soundcheck.wnyc.org/blogs/soundc ... k-too-far/
Last edited by Jaime1234 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:30 am

I think it`s more fair to say that "Elvis don`t sell like he used too", but that is a sign of the times! I`m quite sure that Sony is happy with the 4th quarter sales from last year alone, on new and catalog items. I mentioned this in another thread that I believe Elvis` sales will increase between 2014 - 2017, but I don`t mean on the scale of Elvis 30#1 Hits back in 2002. There is alot of Elvis product out there from many, many different sources and it isn`t continuing to being produced just to look at, but I do think that people put way too much into things like the BILLBOARD 200 or the HOT 100, Sony are happy with TOTAL SALES overall, including FTD products or they would not be produced. Even MUSICONVINYL, FRIDAYMUSIC and SPEAKERS CORNER have put out some very nice Elvis vinyl. It comes and goes with Elvis, it always has!!

Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:31 am

sweetangeline wrote:I think it`s more fair to say that "Elvis don`t sell like he used too", but that is a sign of the times! I`m quite sure that Sony is happy with the 4th quarter sales from last year alone, on new and catalog items. I mentioned this in another thread that I believe Elvis` sales will increase between 2014 - 2017, but I don`t mean on the scale of Elvis 30#1 Hits back in 2002. There is alot of Elvis product out there from many, many different sources and it isn`t continuing to being produced just to look at, but I do think that people put way too much into things like the BILLBOARD 200 or the HOT 100, Sony are happy with TOTAL SALES overall, including FTD products or they would not be produced. Even MUSICONVINYL, FRIDAYMUSIC and SPEAKERS CORNER have put out some very nice Elvis vinyl. It comes and goes with Elvis, it always has!!

Right on. Thirty five million and two hundred thousand (LOL ) albums beind sold, since Soundscan, is fantastic. Second to the Beatles, amongst catalog artists, and second to the Beatles, by RIAA figures, amongst all artists (134.5 to 177 million). They're happy...

Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:44 am

Jaime1234 wrote:They're happy...

no they are VERY HAPPY... :D lol Jaime and to think that these figures starting from 1991 (reminder here - 14 yrs after his death) are for U.S sales ONLY!

Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:26 am

I had that happen in Boulder Colorado awhile back, of course the crowd in Boulder is more hippy and preppy and the hippies are more into the grateful dead, the beatles and Bob marley, and the preppys are more into jazz . so this one local record store didn't have any Elvis at all and I asked him why and he said he doesn't sell around these parts..so there you go.. I think there's a class thing that may be going on as well..

Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:32 am

Jaime1234 wrote:
sweetangeline wrote:I think it`s more fair to say that "Elvis don`t sell like he used too", but that is a sign of the times! I`m quite sure that Sony is happy with the 4th quarter sales from last year alone, on new and catalog items. I mentioned this in another thread that I believe Elvis` sales will increase between 2014 - 2017, but I don`t mean on the scale of Elvis 30#1 Hits back in 2002. There is alot of Elvis product out there from many, many different sources and it isn`t continuing to being produced just to look at, but I do think that people put way too much into things like the BILLBOARD 200 or the HOT 100, Sony are happy with TOTAL SALES overall, including FTD products or they would not be produced. Even MUSICONVINYL, FRIDAYMUSIC and SPEAKERS CORNER have put out some very nice Elvis vinyl. It comes and goes with Elvis, it always has!!

Right on. Thirty five million and two hundred thousand (LOL ) albums beind sold, since Soundscan, is fantastic. Second to the Beatles, amongst catalog artists, and second to the Beatles, by RIAA figures, amongst all artists (134.5 to 177 million). They're happy...

Yes, but how many of those albums were sold in the period 1992 to, say, 2006? I'm sure the figures for the last few years are way down on the previous decade or so.

But the blame for some of that has to rest with Sony - they have basically used FTD for all unreleased/interesting material. There has been no new career spanning boxed sets containing interesting material for fan and casual buyer alike since around 2002, for example. Yes, there was YMWTBB - but it contained material that had been available to fans already (with the exception of about half an hour), and most casual buyers won't want endless takes of the same song. Platinum etc, just contained one take of each song making it more palatable. While FTD results in an almost guaranteed number of sales, it also keeps new and interesting Elvis product off Amazon, out of shops, and therefore out of the buyers spotlight.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:35 am

sweetangeline wrote:
Jaime1234 wrote:They're happy...

no they are VERY HAPPY... :D lol Jaime and to think that these figures starting from 1991 (reminder here - 14 yrs after his death) are for U.S sales ONLY!

Right!! Just one example. BMG was said to have made a profit, profit, of over US$10 million on "Platinum" , alone, and only in Europe and elsewhere.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:47 am

sgoodyear62 wrote:My husband found a cool little used record store called "Grooves and Tubes" here in Delaware and we went today to check it out.Had LOTS of vinyl everything from jazz to grunge.Huge Beatles and Stones section.So here I am looking around for the Elvis section.Found a few albums in the "'50's vocals" section. "Pot Luck with Elvis", "Blue Hawaii" a few others. So my husband asks the owner "Where's your Elvis section at?" ..the owner says "Elvis doesn't sell too good here.That's why there is no Elvis section". I was shocked! and so was my hubby. We've hit a few Used record stores around here and it's all the same "Elvis doesn't sell!" I can't believe this is true! Has anyone else had this experience when visiting a used record store? I never thought i'd see a day like this come. Or is it only in Delaware?? We both spent about an hour looking around and then left in disgust. The thrill is gone visiting these places now.Both our combined Elvis collections will just age and rot I guess since no one wants Elvis around here ! :shock:

I wouldn't worry about it. It's Delaware. The smallest state in the US. Besides most people do not buy physical music anymore. They buy it from the internet through downloads. Those record places you were talking about are mostly for the oldies and the past artists like The Beatles and Frank Sinatra fans. Funny though that you would expect someone like Elvis to be sold there more than you would on ITunes. It says a lot about Elvis' longevity and modern day popularity and appeal.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:56 am

Mike Windgren wrote:It was explained to me by big record dealers on those Record Fairs that Elvis was never such a big hit on the East Coast he was more a Mid-West of USA hit. Then I understood why Elvis was so afraid of performing in New York.

Elvis was more of a hit in the Midwest? Those dealers fed you a line of hogwash.

And Elvis was never "afraid of performing in New York." He did it in 1955, 1956, and 1957, and played the city and surrounding area between 1972 and 1977.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:23 am

In a vinyl record shop in 2013, the question I would ask is: Does any vinyl sell well? To which I'm sure the real answer would be...

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:26 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:

I wouldn't worry about it. It's Delaware. The smallest state in the US.

That honor goes to Rhode Island.
As for population the northeastern section of the U.S. is very heavily populated for the most part >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U. ... on_density

Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:11 am

We have a local charity shop(local hospice shop)and vinyl records sell for 75p unless they are Elvis and then they are priced ridiculously
ie "Roustabout" soundtrack £12

"i Got Lucky"is £10

needless to say,they dont sell any Elvis

Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:21 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Jaime1234 wrote:

Yes, but how many of those albums were sold in the period 1992 to, say, 2006? I'm sure the figures for the last few years are way down on the previous decade or so.

But the blame for some of that has to rest with Sony - they have basically used FTD for all unreleased/interesting material. There has been no new career spanning boxed sets containing interesting material for fan and casual buyer alike since around 2002, for example. Yes, there was YMWTBB - but it contained material that had been available to fans already (with the exception of about half an hour), and most casual buyers won't want endless takes of the same song. Platinum etc, just contained one take of each song making it more palatable. While FTD results in an almost guaranteed number of sales, it also keeps new and interesting Elvis product off Amazon, out of shops, and therefore out of the buyers spotlight.

It should be noted that "Close-Up" sold very poorly. At the time, Ernst said they may never release another boxset like that again. It was not a success, so to speak. So it's not wonder they release outtakes and stuff like that on FTD instead.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:25 am

elvis-fan wrote:In a vinyl record shop in 2013, the question I would ask is: Does any vinyl sell well? To which I'm sure the real answer would be...

...yes. Of course we're not talking millions of copies. But I have four (count 'em, that's FOUR!) very good music stores within 15 minutes of walking from where I live, and they all sell vinyl to all kinds of people, young and old, male and female. Obviously records (CDs and vinyl) will never again sell like they used to, but that doesn't mean the market is completely dead.

(Edit: Okay, I do have four record stores in my area, but to be honest I only visit three of them regularly...)

Keith Richards, Jr.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:54 am

That is what I have been saying here for a while now but some people claim because some records fetch good prices that Elvis is still collectable.
If you look at eBay and such, you see most items get no bids or just one bid if the price is low.
At flea markets and such I find lots of rare LP's (I do not care for or collect singles/EP"s) that 10-20 years ago would have cost me a fortune but are now costing euro 0,50 or euro 1,00.
The downside is that you have to wade through piles and piles of junk (orchestra's, (semi-)classical, middle of the road, more orchestra's).

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:02 am

zolderopruiming1 is correct, the interest in Elvis is declining, which is understandable after 35+ years. But does it really matter? I enjoy his music on an almost daily basis, and I don't really care whether Elvis is popular or collectable, though of course it matters that you can share your hobby with others... which is not a problem at all, as there are plenty of people with the same passion. Just enjoy the music, that's what really matters, and don't worry so much about whether or not he is a best-seller at flea markets.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:08 am

Over the years I always had to hear this sentence from different stores when I was looking for the Elvis section so it's really not surprising to me. But this is Germany, of course.

In all there's most likely an oversaturation of Elvis records anyway. Just keep in mind how many Elvis Christmas compilations exist!

Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:19 pm

I live in South Carolina and the store I visit have a nice sized Elvis section. My local store seldom has anything new or rare, mainly because it gets picked up quickly, usually not by me. They have a few 45's on the wall and are looking for crazy money for them, they have been on the wall for at least three years now, I keep telling them its time for a sale. I visit Atlanta a few times a year, and visit a great store there. They always have plenty of Elvis, but it always seems that its the same stuff when I visit, so either they keep getting the same stuff, or its not selling. There prices are high also. Two weekends ago I found a store at the beach, I didn't expect to find any Elvis, but they had a real nice section, lots of picture sleeve 45's. I filled some gaps in my collection, they also where a little pricey also.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:44 pm

I`m visiting used stores and record fairs quite often here in my country and I have also heard from employees that Elvis LPs and singles
dont sell much,compared to other oldies artist/groups.......so its not just a US situation only.....sadly.