Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis' Favorite LP? - Charles Boyer - "Where Does Love G

Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:10 am

rjm wrote:
stevelecher wrote:Her version is lovely, and then Elvis takes it to the moon. What a great reading from Elvis. The older I get, the more I love it.

I agree. She essentially "finished" the song in a way that no one else who had previously recorded it. There were a few versions. So, on a creative level, she's the one who created the song that Elvis, in this case, truly interpreted. And that it was he did: in the traditional sense, interpreted it with his voice. And I would say that instead of "taking it to the moon," he took it down under the sea. He added a graceful bleakness, a desolation that almost has no bottom. Just in the singing. She did the arranging, and in doing so really made it into the song it became.

And there's a trivia quiz! What lyric did Elvis omit? You wouldn't think he did, but he did. I'm not sure why, but that particular word, or phrase just didn't appeal to him. I think it has to do with the particular feel of his singing: it's smooth . . . but not in a slick way at all. And this phrase would have interfered.

Anyone catch it? I think everyone else sings it, but him.

rjm

Off the top of my head, was it the word "crooked".

Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:45 am

George wins. "Crooked trail" is missing! Not once!

And, yes, Revelator, he turns "to you" into "to me." That is meaningful. I have to listen to her once again on that, though.

rjm

Sent via mobile
Last edited by rjm on Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:48 am

What's my prize?

Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:54 am

George Smith wrote:What's my prize?

Hmm. I have to think about that.

A trophy! An FECC trophy!

What should we call it? ;)

rjm

Sent via mobile

Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:59 am

The George Smith Cup for carrying around huge amounts of useless trivia in the back of your head.

Snappy title, huh.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:02 am

George Smith wrote:The George Smith Cup for carrying around huge amounts of useless trivia in the back of your head.

Snappy title, huh.

LOL!

(It's all very useful. ;) )

rjm

Sent via mobile

Wed May 14, 2014 1:24 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

As many of the original audio links have expired in this fantastic topic, thought I would add a YouTube video of the song What Now My Love by Charles Boyer :smt007.

A similar partial spoken version of this song was done by Elvis on the super rare bootleg cd: Love Letters From Nevada :smt020. Enjoy!. Bye for now :smt006.

phpBB [video]

Charles Boyer-What Now My Love.

Elvis-Love Letters From Nevada cd. Las Vegas December 4, 1976. Sundial Production SP 601.

http://www9.zippyshare.com/v/80039681/file.html
WAV audio rip of What Now My Love by Elvis.

Wed May 14, 2014 7:42 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Thanks. No, it will never stop! ;-)

Let us know what you think of the LP if you find a copy.

Will do if I find a nice copy and for an affordable price :wink:.

In the meantime let´s everybody over here listen to Odetta´s version of: Tomorrow Is a Long Time 8). You´re right Elvis did a carbon copy of her version. Thanks!

phpBB [video]

Her version is lovely, although Elvis puts a lot into his 1966 recording. One wonders if he listened a lot to the Boyer record after learning RCA decided to bury the track on Spinout as a "bonus" cut.

I've always understood that EP had a lot of say regarding his releases. Didn't Elvis have to approve the use of this song as a bonus song on Spinout? It wouldn't have made a good single, would it?