Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis' Favorite LP? - Charles Boyer - "Where Does Love G

Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:34 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Thought I should revive this fantastic topic by elvisjock just in case some missed it. I absolutely love this LP and it is a must to any serious Elvis fan as it is just one more piece of the puzzle :wink:. I have added a recently found version of this cool song by Roger Moore (James Bond 007) as well. Enjoy!. Bye for now :smt006.

phpBB [video]


Charles Boyer version of Where Does Love Go.

phpBB [video]


Roger Moore version of Where Does Love Go.


This is not a must for every serious Elvis fan, not even for a serious music fan, and certainly not a rock and roll fan. The man was an actor for goodness sake. I wonder how many would purchase this (and convince themselves they enjoy it) if it had no Elvis connection. I wonder how many people Elvis bored with this but are afraid to admit it.

Re: Elvis' Favorite LP? - Charles Boyer - "Where Does Love G

Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:36 pm

r&b wrote:The man was an actor for goodness sake.


So was Elvis!

Re: Elvis' Favorite LP? - Charles Boyer - "Where Does Love G

Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:42 pm

Revelator wrote:
r&b wrote:The man was an actor for goodness sake.


So was Elvis!


Not really much after 1960

Re: Elvis' Favorite LP? - Charles Boyer - "Where Does Love G

Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:01 am

r&b wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Thought I should revive this fantastic topic by elvisjock just in case some missed it. I absolutely love this LP and it is a must to any serious Elvis fan as it is just one more piece of the puzzle :wink:. I have added a recently found version of this cool song by Roger Moore (James Bond 007) as well. Enjoy!. Bye for now :smt006.

phpBB [video]


Charles Boyer version of Where Does Love Go.

phpBB [video]


Roger Moore version of Where Does Love Go.


This is not a must for every serious Elvis fan, not even for a serious music fan, and certainly not a rock and roll fan. The man was an actor for goodness sake. I wonder how many would purchase this (and convince themselves they enjoy it) if it had no Elvis connection. I wonder how many people Elvis bored with this but are afraid to admit it.


I bought it. Vinyl. Oh, about 5 or 10 years ago, used on Amazon. The seller included an endearing note, offering a full refund if I had somehow made some sort of "mistake." LOL!

Anyway, I wanted to hear what he heard. It didn't bore me, but I certainly wouldn't foist it on anyone else.

And you know what? When I'm feeling REALLY miserable, this record is the place to go! You close your eyes, dive in, and afterwards, you think "things can't be that bad."

rjm

Sent via mobile

Re: Elvis' Favorite LP? - Charles Boyer - "Where Does Love G

Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:10 am

r&b wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:Thought I should revive this fantastic topic by elvisjock just in case some missed it. I absolutely love this LP and it is a must to any serious Elvis fan as it is just one more piece of the puzzle :wink:. I have added a recently found version of this cool song by Roger Moore (James Bond 007) as well. Enjoy!. Bye for now :smt006.

phpBB [video]



Charles Boyer version of Where Does Love Go.

phpBB [video]



Roger Moore version of Where Does Love Go.


This is not a must for every serious Elvis fan, not even for a serious music fan, and certainly not a rock and roll fan. The man was an actor for goodness sake. I wonder how many would purchase this (and convince themselves they enjoy it) if it had no Elvis connection. I wonder how many people Elvis bored with this but are afraid to admit it.


I agree with Mike Windgren.

The Charles Boyer song and album clearly dominated in Elvis' private listening sessions, and any serious fan does want to know about all the things that helped form Presley's musical world.

That said, I'd rather listen to Elvis' 1950s R&B singles collection any day of the week than the Boyer material.

Re: Elvis' Favorite LP? - Charles Boyer - "Where Does Love G

Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:28 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:Thought I should revive this fantastic topic by elvisjock just in case some missed it. I absolutely love this LP and it is a must to any serious Elvis fan as it is just one more piece of the puzzle :wink:. I have added a recently found version of this cool song by Roger Moore (James Bond 007) as well. Enjoy!. Bye for now :smt006.

phpBB [video]



Charles Boyer version of Where Does Love Go.

phpBB [video]



Roger Moore version of Where Does Love Go.


This is not a must for every serious Elvis fan, not even for a serious music fan, and certainly not a rock and roll fan. The man was an actor for goodness sake. I wonder how many would purchase this (and convince themselves they enjoy it) if it had no Elvis connection. I wonder how many people Elvis bored with this but are afraid to admit it.


I agree with Mike Windgren.

The Charles Boyer song and album clearly dominated in Elvis' private listening sessions, and any serious fan does want to know about all the things that helped form Presley's musical world.


Thank you Doc!. Bye for now :smt006.

Re: Elvis' Favorite LP? - Charles Boyer - "Where Does Love G

Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:20 am

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:Thought I should revive this fantastic topic by elvisjock just in case some missed it. I absolutely love this LP and it is a must to any serious Elvis fan as it is just one more piece of the puzzle :wink:. I have added a recently found version of this cool song by Roger Moore (James Bond 007) as well. Enjoy!. Bye for now :smt006.

phpBB [video]



Charles Boyer version of Where Does Love Go.

phpBB [video]



Roger Moore version of Where Does Love Go.


This is not a must for every serious Elvis fan, not even for a serious music fan, and certainly not a rock and roll fan. The man was an actor for goodness sake. I wonder how many would purchase this (and convince themselves they enjoy it) if it had no Elvis connection. I wonder how many people Elvis bored with this but are afraid to admit it.


I agree with Mike Windgren.

The Charles Boyer song and album clearly dominated in Elvis' private listening sessions, and any serious fan does want to know about all the things that helped form Presley's musical world.


Thank you Doc!. Bye for now :smt006.


Sure for one listen it is an interesting insight into his world but to actively seek this and a must for your collection just because Elvis owned it? Not if you will never play it. Now, if you really dig this, & will play it now & then, then yes its for you and not only for the reason 'Elvis owned it'. Its like that with any record.

Re: Elvis' Favorite LP? - Charles Boyer - "Where Does Love G

Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:57 am

It isn't that he "owned it"; I don't want to duplicate his record collection. It's that he *dwelled on it.* It was very important to him. So, it offers insight into his state of mind in a very personal way.

rjm

Sent via mobile

Re: Elvis' Favorite LP? - Charles Boyer -

Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:19 pm

rjm wrote:It isn't that he "owned it"; I don't want to duplicate his record collection. It's that he *dwelled on it.* It was very important to him. So, it offers insight into his state of mind in a very personal way.

rjm

Sent via mobile


There are some people though , who would want to dupilcate his record collection, marry a girl named Priscilla and have a daughter named Lisa Marie. If you've ever been to Memphis in August you would meet these types of people. They do exist.

Re: Elvis' Favorite LP? - Charles Boyer -

Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:18 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

r&b wrote:There are some people though , who would want to dupilcate his record collection, marry a girl named Priscilla and have a daughter named Lisa Marie. If you've ever been to Memphis in August you would meet these types of people. They do exist.


I don´t care for that kind of people :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Re: Elvis' Favorite LP? - Charles Boyer - "Where Does Love G

Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:25 pm

I would love to see what his R&B and early record collection consisted of. Id like to know more about the music that inspired the young Elvis, not the mid-60's or 70's Elvis. That would be far more interesting IMO. While we are on the subject of this LP, what about the Odetta Sings Dyan LP? We know this is how Elvis discovered many Dylan tunes. Anyone have that one? I am sure it is much more enjoyable than the Boyer LP and maybe should have been the topic instead.

Re: Elvis' Favorite LP? - Charles Boyer - "Where Does Love G

Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:03 pm

r&b wrote:I would love to see what his R&B and early record collection consisted of. Id like to know more about the music that inspired the young Elvis, not the mid-60's or 70's Elvis. That would be far more interesting IMO. While we are on the subject of this LP, what about the Odetta Sings Dyan LP? We know this is how Elvis discovered many Dylan tunes. Anyone have that one? I am sure it is much more enjoyable than the Boyer LP and maybe should have been the topic instead.


Read this for a peek at what R&B Elvis was listening to the mid-fifties, a lot on Atlantic:

Scotty Moore - Elvis' Record Collection
http://www.scottymoore.net/records.html

As for Odetta, Elvis clearly loved her Dylan tribute LP, released just as Bob was making inroads into the pop consciousness with his first top 40 single, "Subterranean Homesick Blues." Her arrangement of Dylan’s "Tomorrow Is A Long Time" is what Presley brought with him to Nashville in May 1966. And her record was issued on ... RCA:

Image

Odetta Sings Dylan (RCA LPM 3324, April 3, 1965)

Side 1
1. Baby, I'm in the Mood for You
2. Long Ago, Far Away
3. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
4. Tomorrow is a Long Time
5. Masters of War
6. Walkin' Down the Line

Side 2
1. The Times They Are A-Changin'
2. With God on Our Side
3. Long Time Gone
4. Mr. Tambourine Man
5. Blowin' in the Wind
6. Paths of Victory

The ones in red were put on tape by Elvis. It's probably best to imagine Presley's general appreciation of Bob Dylan grew in part because of this album.

Re: Elvis' Favorite LP? - Charles Boyer - "Where Does Love G

Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:10 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:I would love to see what his R&B and early record collection consisted of. Id like to know more about the music that inspired the young Elvis, not the mid-60's or 70's Elvis. That would be far more interesting IMO. While we are on the subject of this LP, what about the Odetta Sings Dyan LP? We know this is how Elvis discovered many Dylan tunes. Anyone have that one? I am sure it is much more enjoyable than the Boyer LP and maybe should have been the topic instead.


Read this for a peek at what R&B Elvis was listening to the mid-fifties, a lot on Atlantic:

Scotty Moore - Elvis' Record Collection
http://www.scottymoore.net/records.html

As for Odetta, Elvis clearly loved her Dylan tribute LP, released just as Bob was making inroads into the pop consciousness with his first top 40 single, "Subterranean Homesick Blues." Her arrangement of Dylan’s "Tomorrow Is A Long Time" is what Presley brought with him to Nashville in May 1966. And her record was issued on ... RCA:

Image

Odetta Sings Dylan (RCA LPM 3324, April 3, 1965)

Side 1
1. Baby, I'm in the Mood for You
2. Long Ago, Far Away
3. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
4. Tomorrow is a Long Time
5. Masters of War
6. Walkin' Down the Line

Side 2
1. The Times They Are A-Changin'
2. With God on Our Side
3. Long Time Gone
4. Mr. Tambourine Man
5. Blowin' in the Wind
6. Paths of Victory

The ones in red were put on tape by Elvis. It's probably best to imagine Presley's general appreciation of Bob Dylan grew in part because of this album.


Doc, do you have this LP? Being a big Dylan fan, I was thinking of ordering the CD. It sad that Odetta had more artistic chops than Elvis had at this time. Imagine him telling The Beatles, screw my next soundtrack, I am thinking of hitting the studio and cutting an album of Dylan songs. The Col may have coming running into the den and had a coronary right in front of Epstein!

Re: Elvis' Favorite LP? - Charles Boyer - "Where Does Love G

Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:11 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:I would love to see what his R&B and early record collection consisted of. Id like to know more about the music that inspired the young Elvis, not the mid-60's or 70's Elvis. That would be far more interesting IMO. While we are on the subject of this LP, what about the Odetta Sings Dyan LP? We know this is how Elvis discovered many Dylan tunes. Anyone have that one? I am sure it is much more enjoyable than the Boyer LP and maybe should have been the topic instead.


Read this for a peek at what R&B Elvis was listening to the mid-fifties, a lot on Atlantic:

Scotty Moore - Elvis' Record Collection
http://www.scottymoore.net/records.html

As for Odetta, Elvis clearly loved her Dylan tribute LP, released just as Bob was making inroads into the pop consciousness with his first top 40 single, "Subterranean Homesick Blues." Her arrangement of Dylan’s "Tomorrow Is A Long Time" is what Presley brought with him to Nashville in May 1966. And her record was issued on ... RCA:

Image

Odetta Sings Dylan (RCA LPM 3324, April 3, 1965)

Side 1
1. Baby, I'm in the Mood for You
2. Long Ago, Far Away
3. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
4. Tomorrow is a Long Time
5. Masters of War
6. Walkin' Down the Line

Side 2
1. The Times They Are A-Changin'
2. With God on Our Side
3. Long Time Gone
4. Mr. Tambourine Man
5. Blowin' in the Wind
6. Paths of Victory

The ones in red were put on tape by Elvis. It's probably best to imagine Presley's general appreciation of Bob Dylan grew in part because of this album.


Interesting, thanks!. Another record I´ll have to try. OMG will this record haunting ever stop? :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Re: Elvis' Favorite LP? - Charles Boyer - "Where Does Love G

Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:30 pm

Oh yeah, thanks for the link as well. Interesting. I cant believe Scotty never saw Elvis agin after 1968. I wonder if DJ did?

Re: Elvis' Favorite LP? - Charles Boyer - "Where Does Love G

Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:43 pm

Thank you Doc--excellent link and fascinating list. Interesting to see just how many songs in his collection that Elvis ended up covering ("It's A Sin," "Blueberry Hill," "I Got a Woman," "Reconsider Baby," "Hurt," "Lawdy Miss Clawdy," "I'm 10,000 Years Old," "Your Cheatin' Heart," "Rags To Riches," "Baby, Let's Play House," and "Hound Dog"), though he didn't always use the versions in his collection as his template, as Big Mama's "Hound Dog" demonstrates.
Beyond that, the range of artists--rhythm & bluesmen (Roy Brown, Joe Turner, Johnny Ace, Ivory Joe Hunter), pop stars (Tommy Edwards, Sammy Davis Jr., the Four Lads), country legends (Hank Snow), rock'n'rollers (Carl Perkins, Fats Domino, The Crickets)--is superlatively typical. Put all those acts into a blender and you get...Elvis.

The Dominoes records especially interest me--"When The Swallows come back to Capistrano" features what might be Clyde McPhatter's most beautiful singing (no small compliment, since his vocals for Billy Ward were a work of genius), and "Rags to Riches" has Jackie Wilson in the lead, suggesting he may likely influenced Elvis's own stab at the standard. (Wilson also sings lead on the Dominoes version of "Three Coins in a Fountain," turning a boring song into an epic--his singing at the end is astonishing.)

Re: Elvis' Favorite LP? - Charles Boyer - "Where Does Love G

Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:10 pm

r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:I would love to see what his R&B and early record collection consisted of. Id like to know more about the music that inspired the young Elvis, not the mid-60's or 70's Elvis. That would be far more interesting IMO. While we are on the subject of this LP, what about the Odetta Sings Dyan LP? We know this is how Elvis discovered many Dylan tunes. Anyone have that one? I am sure it is much more enjoyable than the Boyer LP and maybe should have been the topic instead.


Read this for a peek at what R&B Elvis was listening to the mid-fifties, a lot on Atlantic:

Scotty Moore - Elvis' Record Collection
http://www.scottymoore.net/records.html

As for Odetta, Elvis clearly loved her Dylan tribute LP, released just as Bob was making inroads into the pop consciousness with his first top 40 single, "Subterranean Homesick Blues." Her arrangement of Dylan’s "Tomorrow Is A Long Time" is what Presley brought with him to Nashville in May 1966. And her record was issued on ... RCA:

Image

Odetta Sings Dylan (RCA LPM 3324, April 3, 1965)

Side 1
1. Baby, I'm in the Mood for You
2. Long Ago, Far Away
3. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
4. Tomorrow is a Long Time
5. Masters of War
6. Walkin' Down the Line

Side 2
1. The Times They Are A-Changin'
2. With God on Our Side
3. Long Time Gone
4. Mr. Tambourine Man
5. Blowin' in the Wind
6. Paths of Victory

The ones in red were put on tape by Elvis. It's probably best to imagine Presley's general appreciation of Bob Dylan grew in part because of this album.


Doc, do you have this LP? Being a big Dylan fan, I was thinking of ordering the CD. It sad that Odetta had more artistic chops than Elvis had at this time. Imagine him telling The Beatles, screw my next soundtrack, I am thinking of hitting the studio and cutting an album of Dylan songs. The Col may have coming running into the den and had a coronary right in front of Epstein!


r&b wrote:Oh yeah, thanks for the link as well. Interesting. I cant believe Scotty never saw Elvis agin after 1968. I wonder if DJ did?


Yeah, D.J. visited Graceland at least once or twice in the 1970s. He recalled all his friend wanted to do was talk about what they'd done in the 1950s, telling story after story.

The Odetta LP is OK, I'm actually not a fan of her style. That said, Elvis' 1966 recording of "Tomorrow Is A Long Time" completely mirrors her arrangement. Same mournful blues guitar (or dobro), same key, same tempo.

Re: Elvis' Favorite LP? - Charles Boyer - "Where Does Love G

Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:11 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Read this for a peek at what R&B Elvis was listening to the mid-fifties, a lot on Atlantic:

Scotty Moore - Elvis' Record Collection
http://www.scottymoore.net/records.html

As for Odetta, Elvis clearly loved her Dylan tribute LP, released just as Bob was making inroads into the pop consciousness with his first top 40 single, "Subterranean Homesick Blues." Her arrangement of Dylan’s "Tomorrow Is A Long Time" is what Presley brought with him to Nashville in May 1966. And her record was issued on ... RCA:

Image

Odetta Sings Dylan (RCA LPM 3324, April 3, 1965)

Side 1
1. Baby, I'm in the Mood for You
2. Long Ago, Far Away
3. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
4. Tomorrow is a Long Time
5. Masters of War
6. Walkin' Down the Line

Side 2
1. The Times They Are A-Changin'
2. With God on Our Side
3. Long Time Gone
4. Mr. Tambourine Man
5. Blowin' in the Wind
6. Paths of Victory

The ones in red were put on tape by Elvis. It's probably best to imagine Presley's general appreciation of Bob Dylan grew in part because of this album.


Interesting, thanks!. Another record I´ll have to try. OMG will this record haunting ever stop? :wink:.


Thanks. No, it will never stop! ;-)

Let us know what you think of the LP if you find a copy.

Re: Elvis' Favorite LP? - Charles Boyer - "Where Does Love G

Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:21 pm

Revelator wrote:Thank you Doc--excellent link and fascinating list. Interesting to see just how many songs in his collection that Elvis ended up covering ("It's A Sin," "Blueberry Hill," "I Got a Woman," "Reconsider Baby," "Hurt," "Lawdy Miss Clawdy," "I'm 10,000 Years Old," "Your Cheatin' Heart," "Rags To Riches," "Baby, Let's Play House," and "Hound Dog"), though he didn't always use the versions in his collection as his template, as Big Mama's "Hound Dog" demonstrates.
Beyond that, the range of artists--rhythm & bluesmen (Roy Brown, Joe Turner, Johnny Ace, Ivory Joe Hunter), pop stars (Tommy Edwards, Sammy Davis Jr., the Four Lads), country legends (Hank Snow), rock'n'rollers (Carl Perkins, Fats Domino, The Crickets)--is superlatively typical. Put all those acts into a blender and you get...Elvis.

The Dominoes records especially interest me--"When The Swallows come back to Capistrano" features what might be Clyde McPhatter's most beautiful singing (no small compliment, since his vocals for Billy Ward were a work of genius), and "Rags to Riches" has Jackie Wilson in the lead, suggesting he may likely influenced Elvis's own stab at the standard. (Wilson also sings lead on the Dominoes version of "Three Coins in a Fountain," turning a boring song into an epic--his singing at the end is astonishing.)


Wonderful post and spot-on connections, methinks.

Do you know you can hear Elvis singing "When The Swallows Come Back To Capistrano" on a November 1960 home demo (FTD's In A Private Moment) and during his February 1966 "Spinout" sessions, while trying to cut "Adam and Evil" (FTD's Spinout)?

Re: Elvis' Favorite LP? - Charles Boyer - "Where Does Love G

Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:25 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Read this for a peek at what R&B Elvis was listening to the mid-fifties, a lot on Atlantic:

Scotty Moore - Elvis' Record Collection
http://www.scottymoore.net/records.html

As for Odetta, Elvis clearly loved her Dylan tribute LP, released just as Bob was making inroads into the pop consciousness with his first top 40 single, "Subterranean Homesick Blues." Her arrangement of Dylan’s "Tomorrow Is A Long Time" is what Presley brought with him to Nashville in May 1966. And her record was issued on ... RCA:

Image

Odetta Sings Dylan (RCA LPM 3324, April 3, 1965)

Side 1
1. Baby, I'm in the Mood for You
2. Long Ago, Far Away
3. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
4. Tomorrow is a Long Time
5. Masters of War
6. Walkin' Down the Line

Side 2
1. The Times They Are A-Changin'
2. With God on Our Side
3. Long Time Gone
4. Mr. Tambourine Man
5. Blowin' in the Wind
6. Paths of Victory

The ones in red were put on tape by Elvis. It's probably best to imagine Presley's general appreciation of Bob Dylan grew in part because of this album.


Interesting, thanks!. Another record I´ll have to try. OMG will this record haunting ever stop? :wink:.


Thanks. No, it will never stop! ;-)

Let us know what you think of the LP if you find a copy.


Will do if I find a nice copy and for an affordable price :wink:.

In the meantime let´s everybody over here listen to Odetta´s version of: Tomorrow Is a Long Time 8). You´re right Elvis did a carbon copy of her version. Thanks!. Bye for now :smt006.

phpBB [video]

Re: Elvis' Favorite LP? - Charles Boyer - "Where Does Love G

Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:30 am

Mike Windgren wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Thanks. No, it will never stop! ;-)

Let us know what you think of the LP if you find a copy.


Will do if I find a nice copy and for an affordable price :wink:.

In the meantime let´s everybody over here listen to Odetta´s version of: Tomorrow Is a Long Time 8). You´re right Elvis did a carbon copy of her version. Thanks!

phpBB [video]



Her version is lovely, although Elvis puts a lot into his 1966 recording. One wonders if he listened a lot to the Boyer record after learning RCA decided to bury the track on Spinout as a "bonus" cut.

Re: Elvis' Favorite LP? - Charles Boyer - "Where Does Love G

Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:47 am

Her version is lovely, and then Elvis takes it to the moon. What a great reading from Elvis. The older I get, the more I love it.

Re: Elvis' Favorite LP? - Charles Boyer - "Where Does Love G

Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:19 am

stevelecher wrote:Her version is lovely, and then Elvis takes it to the moon. What a great reading from Elvis. The older I get, the more I love it.


I agree. She essentially "finished" the song in a way that no one else who had previously recorded it. There were a few versions. So, on a creative level, she's the one who created the song that Elvis, in this case, truly interpreted. And that it was he did: in the traditional sense, interpreted it with his voice. And I would say that instead of "taking it to the moon," he took it down under the sea. He added a graceful bleakness, a desolation that almost has no bottom. Just in the singing. She did the arranging, and in doing so really made it into the song it became.

And there's a trivia quiz! What lyric did Elvis omit? You wouldn't think he did, but he did. I'm not sure why, but that particular word, or phrase just didn't appeal to him. I think it has to do with the particular feel of his singing: it's smooth . . . but not in a slick way at all. And this phrase would have interfered.

Anyone catch it? I think everyone else sings it, but him.

rjm

Re: Elvis' Favorite LP? - Charles Boyer - "Where Does Love G

Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:31 am

rjm wrote:I agree. She essentially "finished" the song in a way that no one else who had previously recorded it. There were a few versions. So, on a creative level, she's the one who created the song that Elvis, in this case, truly interpreted. And that it was he did: in the traditional sense, interpreted it with his voice. And I would say that instead of "taking it to the moon," he took it down under the sea. He added a graceful bleakness, a desolation that almost has no bottom. Just in the singing. She did the arranging, and in doing so really made it into the song it became.

And there's a trivia quiz! What lyric did Elvis omit? You wouldn't think he did, but he did. I'm not sure why, but that particular word, or phrase just didn't appeal to him. I think it has to do with the particular feel of his singing: it's smooth . . . but not in a slick way at all. And this phrase would have interfered.

Anyone catch it? I think everyone else sings it, but him.


Please do share!

Re: Elvis' Favorite LP? - Charles Boyer - "Where Does Love G

Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:33 am

rjm wrote:And there's a trivia quiz! What lyric did Elvis omit? You wouldn't think he did, but he did. I'm not sure why, but that particular word, or phrase just didn't appeal to him. I think it has to do with the particular feel of his singing: it's smooth . . . but not in a slick way at all. And this phrase would have interfered.


Are you sure he omitted a lyric? I checked the lyrics on Dylan's website (http://www.bobdylan.com/us/songs/tomorrow-long-time) against Elvis's version and didn't find anything missing. Elvis changes some of the words--"If tonight was not a crooked trail" becomes "If tonight was not a endless trail" and "lonesome would mean nothing to you at all" becomes "lonesome would mean nothing to me at all"--but that's all I detect.

As for the song, I like Elvis's version a lot, but my all-time favorite is Rod Stewart's:
phpBB [video]